2 John 1-13

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 16:42:27 PDT 2008

"*TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt*

*PO Box 25116 -- Federal Way WA 98093-2116*

*Tel: 253.874.4265 -- Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org*

   * 2 JOHN 1-13*

*SUMMARY: OBEDIENCE TO TRUTH BRINGS REWARDS*

 *1. 1:1-3 LOVE'S LOYALTY TO TRUTH*

Ho presBUte-ros [4245] ek-lekT*E* [1588] KuRIa [2959] kai tois TEKnois auT*E
*S,

*The elder to elect Kyria and her :children,*

hous eG*O* a-gaP*O* en a-l*e*THEIa [225];

*whom I love in truth;*

kai ouk eG*O* MOnos, alLA kai PANtes hoi eg-n*o*KOtes t*e*n aL*E*thei-an;

*and not I only, but also all that know the truth;*

diA t*e*n aL*E*thei-an t*e*n MEnou-san en h*e*MIN*,*

*2 for the truth's sake which abides in us,*

kai meth' h*e*M*O*N EStai eis ton ai*O*na [165]:

*and shall be with us unto the age:*

EStai meth' h*e*M*O*N CHAris [5485], Ele-os [1656], eiR*E*n*e* [1515], paRA
TheOU paTROS,

*3 Grace, mercy, peace shall be with us, from God the Father,*

kai paRA I*e*SOU ChrisTOU tou huiOU tou paTROS, en a-l*e*THEIa kai aGAp*e*.

*and from Jesus Christ the Son of the Father, in truth and love.*

 *2. 1:4-11 NATURE AND DEFENCE OF TRUTH*

*a. 1:4 SOURCE OF APOSTOLIC JOY: DISCIPLES WALKING IN TRUTH*

E-CHAr*e*n LIan [3029] HOti HEUr*e*-ka

*I rejoice greatly that I have found*

ek t*o*n TEKn*o*n sou pe-ri-paTOUNtas en a-l*e*THEIa,

*certain **of your :children walking in **the truth,*

kaTH*O*S en-toL*E*N [1785] eLAbo-men paRA tou paTROS.

*even as we received commandment from the Father.*

 *b. 1:5 COMMANDMENT OF CHRIST: LOVE ALL SINCERE DISCIPLES*

kai nun e-r*o*T*O* se, KuRIa,

*And now I request you, Kyria,*

ouch h*o*s en-toL*E*N GRAph*o*n soi kaiN*E*N [2537],

*not as though I wrote to you a new commandment,*

alLA h*e*n EIcha-men ap' arCH*E*S [746],

*but which we had from the beginning,*

Hina a-gaP*O*men alL*E*lous.

*that we love one another.*

 *c. 1:6a EXPRESSION OF LOVE: OBEYING CHRIST'S COMMANDMENTS*

kai HAUt*e* esTIN h*e* aGAp*e*, Hina pe-ri-paT*O*men kaTA tas en-toLAS
auTOU.

*And this is :love, that we should walk after his :commandments.*

 *d. 1:6b LOVE: THE GREAT COMMANDMENT OF GOD*

HAUt*e* h*e* en-toL*E* es-tin, kaTH*O*S *e*KOUsa-te ap' arCH*E*S,

*This is the commandment, even as you heard from the beginning,*

HIna en auT*E* pe-ri-paT*E*te.

*that you should walk in it.*

 *e. 1:7a JOY FROM DISCIPLES: WHEN THEY TURN FROM ERROR*

HOti polLOI PLAnoi [4108] eX*E*Lthan eis ton KOSmon:

*For many deceivers are gone forth into the world:*

hoi m*e* ho-mo-loGOUNtes [3670] I*e*SOUN ChrisTON erCHOme-non en sarKI
[4561].

*they that confess not Jesus Christ coming in the flesh.*

 *f. 1:7b FOREWARNED AGAINST FALSE TEACHERS IS FOREARMED*

HOU-TOS es-tin ho PLAnos kai ho anTIchris-tos [500].

*This is the deceiver and the antichrist.*

 *g. 1:8 REWARD OF THE SOUL-WINNER: WHEN CONVERTS PERSEVERE*

BLEpe-te he-auTOUS,

*Look to yourselves,*

HIna m*e* a-poLEs*e*-te [622] ha *e*r-gaSAme-tha [2038],

*that you lose not what things we have wrought,*

alLA misTHON [3408] PL*E*r*e* a-poLAb*e*-te.

*but that you receive a full reward.*

 *h. 1:9 TO REJECT GOD'S WORD - IS TO REJECT GOD*

pas ho proAg*o*n kai m*e* MEn*o*n en t*e* di-daCH*E* [1322] tou ChrisTOU,

*Whoever goes onward and abides not in the teaching of the Christ,*

TheON ouk Echei:

*has not :God:*

ho MEn*o*n en t*e* di-daCH*E*,

*who abides in the teaching,*

HOUtos kai ton paTEra kai ton huiON Echei.

*the same has both the Father and the Son.*

 *i. 1:10-11 RULE OF HOSPITALITY: NOT TO BE SHARED WITH THE FALSE*

ei tis ERche-tai pros huMAS, kai TAUt*e*n t*e*n di-daCH*E*N ou PHErei,

*If any comes unto you, and brings not this :teaching,*

m*e* lamBAne-te auTON eis oiKIan, kai CHAIrein [5463] auT*O* m*e* LEge-te:

*receive him not into your house, and give him no greeting:*

ho LEg*o*n gar auT*O* CHAIrein koi-n*o*NEI [2841] tois ERgois tois po-n*e*
ROIS.

*11 for who gives him greeting partakes in his :evil :works.*

 *3. 1:12-13 FELLOWSHIP OF TRUTH*

*a. 1:12 JOY: THE FRUIT OF DETECTING DECEIVERS*

PolLA Ech*o*n huMIN GRAphein,

*Having many things to write to you,*

ouk *e*-bouL*E*th*e*n diA CHARtou kai MEla-nos: alLA elPIz*o* geNESthai pros
HUmas,

*I would not with paper and ink: but hope to come unto you,*

kai STOma [4750] pros STOma laL*E*sai, HIna h*e* chaRA huM*O*N pe-pl*e*-r*o*
MEn*e* [4137] '*e*.

*and speak face to face, that your :joy be made full.*

 *b. 1:13 SALUTATIONS FROM RELATIVES*

AsPAzeTAI [782] se ta TEKna t*e*s a-delPH*E*S sou t*e*s ek-lekT*E*S [1588] .

*The children of your :elect :sister salute you.*

 *NOTE:* It appears that John is pretty strict about having fellowship with
those who depart from truth. We know that this has happened often in the
past 2000 years. In 1951 at Northern Baptist Theological Seminary of
Chicago, we had a guest speaker, Dr. Nels Ferre. He had a position with the
American Baptist Convention, and had departed into a very liberal,
modernistic position. Our Seminary under Dr. Charles W. Koller of Waco
Texas, was at the time the most conservative of all our denominational
seminaries.

 One of our doctoral students, Dr. William Niger Kerr, shared with a number
of us his view-point on our speaker of the morning. "That man would never
put his knees under our meal time table in our home," he clearly stated.
Some of the listeners took exception to his strong position, and sought to
argue with him. "No," he replied, "If we are disciples of Jesus and stand
with Him as seeing Him and His Word as one -- then according to 2 John, we
have no choice -- we must refuse hospitality to those who have by an act of
self-will departed from the Truth, and Jesus as the Truth."

 I have been unable to forget the above clear and forthright statement of
conviction.

 Later one of my best friends departed from the clear mandate of Scripture,
and took up with the extreme liberal and modernistic view held by the the
majority of the United Church of Canada, my former denomination. As I out of
conviction resigned 4 positions with this denomination and departed from it
-- I felt I had to clearly confront my former friend who departed from the
Plumbline of the Word of God -- and reason with him concerning his decision
of compromise toward God and His Word.

 I have not heard from him since.

 Jesus did not seek to reason with people who couldn't meet His standards of
discipleship. He sorrowfully let them go! Remember the rich young ruler!

 So let us remember 2 John 10 & 11. John was called the Beloved disciple,
and the apostle of love. Yet he was the one, who led by the Holy Spirit
wrote these words. And let us also remember that according to Bible Numerics
as discovered by Dr. Ivan Panin, all 66 books of our Bible are signally set
forth as *God's word to man*, *not* merely man's word to man! See 1
Corinthians 14:37 for Paul's confirmation to this, and Peter's double
confirmation in 2 Peter 1:21.

 Jim Watt

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
jmbetter-subscribe at skagitattic.com<jmbetter-subscribe#@skagitattic.com>