Acts 10:38

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 10:08:48 PDT 2007

*"TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt*

*PO Box **25116 – Federal Way** **WA** **98093-2116***

*Tel: 253.874.4265 – Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org – **August 31, 2007***

* *

*"ACTS 10:36-38"** *

* *

*4. Acts 10:23b-43 – A NUTSHELL OUTLINE OF THE GOSPEL*

*m. 10:36-38  PETER SKETCHES JESUS' MINISTRY*

ton LOgon [3056] aPEStei-len [649] tois huiOIS [5207] Is-ra*E*L,

*He sent the word unto the sons of **Israel**,*

eu-ag-ge-liZOme-nos [2097] eiR*E*n*e*n [1515] diA I*e*SOU ChrisTOU

*preaching good tidings of peace by Jesus Christ*

(HOU-TOS es-tin PANt*o*n KUri-os [2962] ) –

*(he is Lord of all) – *

(37) huMEIS OIda-te [1492] to geNOme-non [1096] HR*E*ma [4487]

*that saying YOU know, which was published*

kath' HOl*e*s t*e*s IouDAIas, arXAme-nos [756] aPO t*e*s Ga-liLAIas,

*throughut all :**Judaea**, beginning from :**Galilee**,*

meTA to BAPtis-ma [908] ho eK*E*ru-xen [2784] I-*o*An*e*s;

*after the baptism which John preached;*

(38) I-*e*SOUN ton aPO Na-zaRETH, h*o*s ECHri-sen [5548] auTON ho TheOS

*Jesus :of **Nazareth**, how :God anointed him*

PNEUma-ti [4151] HA-GI*o* [40] kai duNAmei [1411] :

*with the Holy Spirit and with power:*

hos di*E*Lthen [1330] eu-er-geT*O*N [2109] , kai i*O*me-nos [2390] PANtas
tous

*who went about doing good, and healing all those*

ka-ta-du-nas-teu-oMEnous [2616] huPO tou di-aBOlou [1228] ;

*oppressed of the devil;*

HOti ho TheOS [2316] *e*n met' auTOU.

*for :God was with him.*

* *

*"**JOHN** **G.** **LAKE** AND OUR TEXT"*

*THE DEVIL REVEALED – *On April 28, 1898, When Jennie's (Lake's first wife)
final hours seemed to be ticking away, a fellow minister encouraged Lake to
resolve himself to God's will and to accept Jennie's death. His words
weighed heavy, and Lake stiffened in resistance. Still, the reality of death
seemed imminent.

In utter hopelessness, Lake threw his Bible against the fireplace mantle and
it fell to the floor opened to Acts chapter 10. As he walked over to pick it
up, his eyes drifted to verse 38: *"…God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the
Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that
were oppressed of the DEVIL; for God was with him."*

Those powerful words ripped through his thoughts. "OPPRESSED OF THE DEVIL!"
That meant that God wasn't the author of Jennie's sickness, or
*any*sickness! And if
Lake was a son of God through Jesus Christ, then God was *with him,* just as
He was with Jesus! Now he was convinced it was the *devil* who had caused
Jennie's illness. It was the *devil* who was stealing the mother of his
children. It was the *devil* who was destroying his life!

*9:30 A.M.** – *Then Lake turned to Luke 13:16 and read: *"ought not this
woman…whom SATAN HATH BOUND, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this
bond…?" *Now the realization hit him that not only was Satan the author of
sickness and death, but that Jesus Christ – through Lake – could bring
healing and deliverance to the afflicted! Through using him, Jesus Christ
could conquer the throes of death! There was no doubt in his mind that Jesus
died for the healing of his wife, just as He died for her sins. And he
determined that absolutely nothing could rob Jennie of that gift.

In a boldness that only the Holy Spirit could have produced, Lake decided to
let God, not Satan, have the last say. He marched into the bedroom and
declared to the seen and unseen that his wife would be healed at exactly 9:30
A.M.!

Then he contacted Dowie to inform him of what God was about to do at the
appointed time. When 9:30 arrived, Lake knelt at his precious wife Jennie's
side and called on the living God. When he did, the power of God came upon
Jennie and permeated her body from head to foot. Her paralysis left, her
heartbeat became normal, her cough ceased, her breathing regulated, and her
temperature returned to normal – immediately.

At first Lake heard a faint sound escaping from Jennie's lips. Then she
cried out, "Praise God, I'm healed!" totally startling him, because he
hadn't heard such strength in her voice for years. Then, Jennie threw back
the covers from her bed – and stood up – healed! The joyous praise that
followed was indescribable as both she and John worshipped God!

*THE LIGHTNINGS OF JESUS – *Soon, the story of Jennie's healing became
national news inspiring many to travel great distances to visit the
Lakehome. The newspapers had provoked the nation's curiosity and the
Lake's were instantly thrust into a highly sought after ministry. People
arrived at their home daily to see God's miracle, and to be prayed for. Many
others sent in prayer requests.

One day after praying for a man who suffered from a ten-inch fever sore,
Lake received a telegram that read, "Lake, the most unusual thing has
happened. An hour after you left, the whole print of your hand was burned
into that growth that was a quarter of an inch deep."

Lake would later refer to such power in his sermons as the lightnings of
Jesus. *"You talk about the voltage from heaven and the power of God! Why
there is lightning in the soul of Jesus! The lightnings of Jesus heal men by
their flash! Sin dissolves and disease flees when the power of God
approaches!"*

* *

Lake would also compare the anointing of God's Spirit to the power of
electricity. Just as men had learned the laws of electricity, Lake had
discovered the laws of the Spirit. And, as God's *"lightning rod,"* he would
rise within God's calling to *electrify *the powers of darkness and *solidify
*the body of Christ.

THE ABOVE comes from *"GOD'S GENERALS" – by Roberts Liardon, 1996, ISBN
1-88008-947-5, *Roberts Liardon Ministries, and P.O. Box 30710, Laguna Hills,
California 92654

He concludes with this word:  As we close this chapter, I want to challenge
you to walk in the revelation of your righteousness in Christ. Righteousness
is a *lifestyle* that produces victory in every situation. If we would just
grasp the reality of our position through Jesus Christ, as Lake did, every
nation would ring with the praises of God. And every demonic regime would
crumble under that authority.

John G. Lake proved to us that this lifestyle can be lived and enjoyed by
those who pursue it. So don't stop short of what God has given us through
Jesus Christ. Allow the Holy Spirit to reveal your heavenly position to you;
then take your place and change the nations for God.

NOW BACK TO OUR TEXT:  See how Jesus was *anointed AFTER* His baptism by
John. But He did not return from the 40 days of fasting and being tempted by
the devil with POWER until He had undergone that testing. Though He was the
Son of God, yet He was also THE SON OF MAN. It is as the Son of Man, a 100%
Man of Faith, that He sets before us a possible example. He did NOT perform
His miracles as the Son of God – He did them as the SON OF MAN. Acts
10:36-38 is for US TOO, as members of His body.

Note also that the word "oppressed," *ka-ta-du-nas-teu-oMEnous
**[2616]*appears only twice in the Greek New Testament. Once in James
2:6, telling us
how the rich normally oppress or "come down upon" the poor. What they do in
the natural, the devil does to us body, soul and spirit – the same word in
Acts 10:38. They both come from the root word *DUna-mai* -- I can, or I am
able – *and *DUna-mis *or "power" is a derivative from this. It is THIS that
Jesus returned with after His 40 days in the wilderness, and it is THIS that
He used in healing all that were OPPRESSED of the devil. The Victory Jesus
won over the devil in the wilderness, gave Him THIS power that overcomes the
LESSER power of the devil that he uses for oppression.
Think on this! Meditate on it! Then see how Ezra and Nehemiah broke the
oppression of the rich Jews in Jerusalem over the poor, after their return
from the 70 year Babylonian captivity.

I am persuaded that 2007 A.D. is in God's mind a year of Transition and
Breakthrough. It is a year to see power for healing increased. It is a year
for the signs of Mark 16:17-20. Satan has tried to bring the last 12 verses
of Mark into disrepute through textual criticism. Don't believe it. Dr. Ivan
Panin, the former Russian Nihilist, but later the scholar of the Numeric
Greek and English New Testaments, shows that of all passages of the Greek
New Testament, Mark 16:9-20 is more charged with God's Numeric Signature,
than any other portion of the New Testament.

Incidentally, our text that appears in the beginning, is from Panin's
Numeric Greek and English New Testament texts, and published by the
OxfordPress. So that you can corroborate his work on your own in part,
Strong's
#'s appear in brackets following significant Greek words.

Your friend -- Jim Watt

* *

* *

* *