James Watt by Andrew Carnegie

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 19:22:49 PDT 2007

*"TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt*

*PO Box **25116 – Federal Way** **WA** **98093-2116***

*Tel: 253.874.4265 – Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org – **September 1, 2007***

* *

*"JAMES WATT" By Andrew Carnegie*

*(Doubleday, Page & Company, 1905)*

* *

*PREFACE:  *When the publishers asked me to write the Life of Watt, I
declined, stating that my thoughts were upon other matters. This settled the
question, as I supposed, but in this I was mistaken. Why shouldn't I write
the Life of the maker of the steam-engine, out of which I had made fortune?
Besides, I knew little of the history of the Steam Engine and of Watt
himself, and the surest way to obtain knowledge was to comply with the
publisher's highly complimentary request. In short, the subject would not
down, and finally, I was compelled to write again, telling them that the
idea haunted me, and if they still desired me to undertake it, I should do
so with my heart in the task.

I now know about the steam-engine, and have also had revealed to me one of
the finest characters that ever graced the earth. For all this I am deeply
grateful to the publishers.

I am indebted to friends, Messrs. Angus Sinclair and Edward R. Cooper, for
editing my notes upon Scientific and Mechanical points.

The result is this volume. If the public, in reading, have one tithe of the
pleasure I have had in writing it, I shall be amply rewarded.

* *

*THE AUTHOR*

* *

*CHAPTER  X – WATT, THE INVENTOR AND DISCOVERER.*

* *

In the foregoing pages an effort has been made to follow and describe Watt's
work in detail as it was performed, but we believe our readers will thank us
for presenting the opinions of a few of the highest scientific and legal
authorities upon what Watt really did.

*LORD JEFFREY says:*

This name fortunately needs no commemoration of ours; for he that bore it
survived to see it crowned with undisputed and unenvied honors; and many
generations will probably pass away, before it shall have gathered "all its
fame." We have said that Mr. Watt was the great *improver* of the steam
engine; but, in truth, as to all that is admirable in its structure, or vast
in its utility, he should rather be described as its *inventor*. It was by
his inventions that its action was so regulated as to make it capable of
being applied to the finest and most delicate manufactures, and its power so
increased, as to set weight and solidity at defiance.

By his admirable contrivance, it has become a thing stupendous alike for its
force and its flexibility, for the prodigious power which it can exert, and
the ease, and precision, and ductility, with which it can be varied,
distributed, and applied. The trunk of an elephant, that can pick up a pin
or rend an oak, is as nothing to it. It can engrave a seal, and crush masses
of obdurate metal before it; draw out, with breaking, a thread as fine as
gossamer, and lift a ship of war like a bauble in the air. It can embroider
muslin and forge anchors, cut steel into ribbons, and impel loaded vessels
against the fury of winds and waves.

It would be difficult to estimate the value of the benefits which these
inventions have conferred upon this country. There is no branch of industry
that has not been indebted to them; and, in all the most material, they have
not only widened most magnificently the field of its exertions, but
multiplied a thousand fold the amount of its productions. It is our improved
steam engine that has fought the battles of Europe, and exalted and
sustained, through the late tremendous contest, the political greatness of
our land. It is the same great power which now enables us to pay the
interest of our debt, and to maintain the arduous struggle in which we are
still engaged (1819), with the skill and capital of countries less oppressed
with taxation. But these are poor and narrow views of its importance.

It has increased indefinitely the mass of human comforts and enjoyments, and
rendered cheap and accessible, all over the world, the materials of wealth
and prosperity. It has armed the feeble hand of man, in short, with a power
to which no limits can be assigned; completed the dominion of mind over the
most refractory qualities of matter; and laid a sure foundation for all
those future miracles of mechanical power which are to aid and reward the
labors of after generations.

It is to the genius of one man, too, that all this is mainly owing; and
certainly no man ever bestowed such a gift on his kind. The blessing is not
only universal, but unbounded; and the fabled inventors of the plough and
the loom, who were deified by the erring gratitude of their rude
contemporaries, conferred less important benefits on mankind than the
inventor of our present steam engine.

This will be the fame of Watt with future generations; and it is sufficient
for his race and his country. But to those to whom he more immediately
belonged, who lived in his society and enjoyed his conversation, it is not,
perhaps, the character in which he will be most frequently recalled – most
deeply lamented – or even most highly admired.

*CLOSING WORDS BY ANDREW CARNEGIE – *So passes Watt from view as the
discoverer and inventor of the "most powerful instrument in the hands of man
to alter the face of the physical world." He takes his place "at the head of
all inventors" of all "ages and all nations."

(It is possible to download the 1905 edition on James Watt by Andrew
Carnegie by going to "Google" and using the above information. By going to
"Amazon.com" you can purchase either this edition, or an updated version by
the same author.)

*NOTE:* I clearly remember the day on a British Columbia farm when I was
about 10 years of age, when my mother and father called me in from the
outside to see a piece of mail that had just arrived from Scotland. It was a
genealogical table sent at the request of my father.

Originally he had a copy showing our direct descent from the Steam engine
inventor. In 1955 I believe, 5 brothers left Scotland for Ontario, Canada.
Watt the inventor had two boys from his first marriage, James Watt Jr. and
Gregory. Gregory died in early manhood to the great sorrow of his father,
but James Jr. survived to take over the firm of Boulton & Watt with the son
of his father's partner to Watt. The two partner sons continued on
successfully and harmoniously for over 40 years, in the same spirit as their
fathers for 25 years

When Watt became a widower he remarried, but had no more sons, but very fine
girls. The husbands of the girls changed their names to Watt to continue the
unique legacy. So the legacy of the 5 sons who immigrated to Canada in the
1850's might have come either through James Watt Jr. of the first marriage,
or through the daughters of the second. One was my grandfather, James
Alexander Watt. He was a teacher in the old country, but started a machine
shop in Gananoque, Ontario when he came to the New World, and there mentored
my father James Wilfred Watt for 7 years. He made excellent use of this
background as a Chief Engineer in Steam & Electricity for both land and sea.
He excelled in solving severe breakdowns and in constructing Power Houses
for Lumber and Pulp & Paper Mills. He also constructed the Power House for
the University of Washington in 1929.

The Genealogy my parents showed me replaced one my father had lost in the
past. I am afraid it made little impression on me. I looked at it, and then
asked if I could go back outdoors to finish my chores and play.

I confess that the engineering genes of my forebears and children have
skipped me. I can hardly fix a bicycle. But another "Watt" relative I met 45
years ago in Anacortes encouraged me with, "Jim – don't feel badly. Your
ancestors excelled in Steam and Electrical power. God has given you the
calling to major in Spiritual Power!" I have felt better ever since.

In 1945 God laid an assignment upon me to complete the goal of Dr. Ivan
Panin of Russia. He completed a Numeric Greek & English New Testament
published by Oxford Press in 1910. It allowed Panin to check the3000
Alternate Readings of the 7 Major Greek Texts appearing in the Westcott and
Hort Greek New Testament. By God's Numeric Phenomenon, he produced the
Numeric Greek New Testament with no alternate readings, the same as the
original. From this he made the Numeric English New Testament Translation.
Into this he introduced the sentence structure, sub paragraphs, paragraphs
and chapter equivalents as also established by Numerics. A sample of this
can be seen in another mailing going out this coming week on Acts 10:36-38.

For those of you who are interested, you can checkout my article entitled
"Reaching Unbelievers Through Bible Numerics" published by "The Evangelical
Fellowship of Canada." Click on their Website *
http://www.christianity.ca/church/outreach/2005/11.001.html . *You will find
5 links in this article which have helped many others who have clicked on
them.

I do not inherit the extraordinary Discovery, Inventive and Mechanical genes
of the inventor of 1736, but I sense that God has given me insights how to
lay hold of Panin's Discoveries and Literary Products, to put them in a
format useful for Laymen today. I trust this Interlinear Product will be a
truly usable product based on the Numerical Phenomenon, and accompanied by
Numeric Greek Word Studies.

Marie and I have 7 grandchildren. At least 3 of the grandsons already are
moving in "Computer Creative Anointing." Perhaps what expressed itself so
powerfully a number of generations back is still operating, though in a
lesser measure.

We would appreciate your prayers on behalf of these 3 young men, and we in
turn have many of you on our daily prayer list.

Your friends – Jim & Marie Watt.

* *

* *

* *