Nothing of the Old Life

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 16:55:25 PDT 2007

*"TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt*

*PO Box **25116 – Federal Way** **WA** **98093-2116***

*Tel: 253.874.4265 – Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org – **October 24, 2007***

* *

*"NOTHING OF THE OLD LIFE"***

*(From: "My Utmost for His Highest" – by Oswald Chambers)*

* *

*"If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away,
behold, all things have become new" (2 Corinthians **5:17**).*

* *

Our Lord never tolerates our prejudices – He is directly opposed to them and
puts them to death. We tend to think that God has some special interest in
our particular prejudices, and are very sure that He will never deal with us
as He has to deal with others. We even say to ourselves, "God has to deal
with other people in a very strict way, but of course He knows that my
prejudices are all right." But we must learn that God accepts nothing of the
old life! Instead of being on the side of our prejudices, He is deliberately
removing them from us. It is part of our moral education to see our
prejudices put to death by His providence, and to watch how He does it. God
pays no respect to anything we bring to Him. There is only one thing God
wants of us, and that is our unconditional surrender.

When we are born again, the Holy Spirit begins to work His new creation in
us, and there will come a time when there is nothing remaining of the old
life. Our old gloomy outlook disappears, as does our old attitude toward
things, and "all things are of God" (5:18). How are we going to get a life
that has no lust, no self-interest, and is not sensitive to the ridicule of
others? How will we have the type of love that "is kind … is not provoked,
[and] thinks no evil"? (1 Corinthians 13:4-5). The only way is by allowing
nothing of the old life to remain, and by having only simple, perfect trust
in God – such a trust that we no longer want God's blessings, but only want
God Himself. Have we come to the point where God can withdraw His blessings
from us without our trust in Him being affected? Once we truly see God at
work, we will never be concerned again about the things that happen, because
we are actually trusting in our Father in heaven, whom the world cannot see.

*NOTE:*  The apostle Paul told the Corinthian church that ALL things were
theirs! Paul, Peter, Apollos and Christ – ALL ministries God gave them for
their edification, exhortation and comfort! He is basically telling us NOT
to have favorite teachers and ministries – for GOD knows we need all types
of ministries to mature us and round us off. In like manner the Body of
Christ needs all Evangelical denominations and fellowships. We sell
ourselves short if we settle for our favorite preachers and denominations
only!

On Thursday October 12, 2006 God gave me two words. The first was – "Don't
judge – just pray!" and the second – "Write to please ME, your Lord, not
people!" I wrote them down in a place where I cannot help but see them
daily! He knew I needed these reminders.

Now all will not gravitate to Oswald Chambers, I know – but we ALL need his
clear and direct challenges. God gave him to the church because He knew we
ALL needed this servant of His. At times his challenge is most unpalatable –
but necessary nonetheless.

I have many mentors that God has given me over the years, and I thank God
for each one of them. Twelve of them are women like Deborah, and I thank God
for each one of them. Some of them like Rees Howells, C.T. Studd, Bill
Borden of Yale '09, H.A. Baker, George Muller and C.S. Lewis keep me on "the
straight and narrow!"

Today's reading from Oswald Chambers is one of those rough and challenging
words – but perhaps all the more necessary. God loves us so much that He
mixes the bitter with the sweet.

In 1967 I received a Commission from God, "Get My New Testament done!" In
1944 the Lord introduced me to the works of Ivan Panin through a Russian Jew
in Victoria B.C. where I was stationed as a sailor in the Canadian Navy. In
1946 I purchased everything that was then available either on or by Panin. I
have had his complete Numeric Greek and English New Testament as an
Interlinear Manuscript since that time. Recently He has given me a format
that I am comfortable with, and for the next 3-5 years I am dedicated to Him
as my number one priority to get it on our Website. Pray that God will
provide the volunteers to help me accomplish this.

For those of you who are interested, you can checkout my article entitled
"Reaching Unbelievers through Bible Numerics" and published by "The
Evangelical Fellowship of Canada." Click on their Website
*http://www.christianity.ca/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=4553&srcid=1979
 *You will find 5 links in this article which have helped many others who
have clicked on them.

Your friend – Jim Watt**

* *

* *