Signs and Wonders

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 09:32:10 PDT 2007

*"TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt – Beth Chesed, **Tacoma***

*PO Box **25116 – Federal Way** **WA** **98093-2116***

*Web: www.2rbetter.org – Fax: 253.474.0189*

*Tel: 253.874.4265 – Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*July 15, 2007***

* *

*"SIGNS AND WONDERS IN RABBATH – AMMMON"*

*(An account of Divine Visitations in Amman, Trans-Jordan, 1933)*

* *

*FOREWORD.** – *On the night of January 3rd, 1933, a Christian woman living
in Amman, the capital of Trans-Jordan, Hanneh Elias Aghaby by name, the wife
of Bashara Mutanis Kawar was granted a supernatural visitation which must
rank with those recorded of saints of medieval times such as Francis
D'Assisi and others, and in some phases will recall those Divine phenomena
which accompanied the outpouring of the Spirit in Apostolic days; for this
was but the beginning of a series of Divine visitations and supernatural
manifestations that have been continued for months at varying intervals.
Great interest was stirred up locally and in the Arabic speaking countries
of the Levant, especially as accounts were published in various Arabic
newspapers. The result has been to many a spiritual quickening and revival
of faith in God. Eventually relatives and friends of Mme. Kawar arranged and
published in Arabic an account of these miracles and prophetic utterances;
for as such they must be classed. The result of the publication and
circulation of these Arabic pamphlets has been a blessing to many, and it
has seemed right to give to the English speaking world this account of these
modern miracles, in belief that in a materialistic age it will be a proof of
the reality and power of the Divine.

It may be added that this account is in the main a translation of the Arabic
which was drawn up by Mr. Saleem Kawar, the eldest son of Mme. Kawar, and a
clerk in one of the departments of the Trans-Jordan Government. As such it
largely follows the arrangement of the Arabic pamphlet which was entitled,
"The Wonderful Occurrence in Amman, 1933". Witnesses of this series of
Divine phenomena are many and include both local people and foreigners. The
writer of the foreword and translator, in the main, of the Arabic account
has had the privilege of following up these occurrences from the beginning
and, being a neighbor of the family, has had every opportunity of obtaining
first hand information, or of personally witnessing these events.

It is to be hoped that the value and power of these accounts and messages
will not be lost in translation but as in Arabic, so in English, they will
prove a blessing and inspiration to many.

 *AFTERWARD.* – Some word of explanation of the salient features in the
phenomena recorded in the foregoing pages may seem to be fitting before
sending out this little booklet. This is all the more necessary as, to many,
the fact of the supernatural in the Christian religion seems to have been
overlooked, or to have been relegated to the bygone days of Apostolic
Christianity or Hebrew history, if not altogether explained away by a
rationalistic interpretation of Scripture. There is another class of honest
spiritual souls who have an unreasoning fear of the supernatural, and would
reject it hastily, forgetting that the supernatural in religion is not to be
rejected as such, (or else the very foundations of our faith in the records
of the Word of God would be removed), but to be examined in the light of
Scripture with its very plain canons for testing such phenomena, when a
reasoned opinion may be formed. If such a manifestation stands the test of
Scripture then it becomes a Divine Voice to a generation plunged in
materialism and infidelity, a challenge to the Church to return to its
pristine purity and power, an encouragement to the humble believing soul to
continue steadfast, for God still lives and works as in days of old.

It will be remembered that the sign was that of blood placed upon the
forehead on four separate occasions. The significance of this will be
readily recognized by those instructed in the Scripture of Truth but it may
be well to quote one of the prophetic messages occurring in the forgoing
pages, with regard to its bearing on the subject. (February 23rd) "O foolish
soul, I have wrought this sign that thou mightest understand that as there
is no life without blood, so there is no life, so there is no salvation
without blood." To this must be added the testimony of Scripture, Hebrews
9:22, "Without shedding of blood is no remission." 1 John 1:7, "The blood of
Jesus Christ, God's Son, cleanseth us from all sin."

In so far as the placing of the blood was on each of the four occasions in
shape resembling a bird, and at times clearly that of the dove, it may be
pointed out that these messages again give the interpretation. (February 15
th) "The Spirit moveth around as a dove and settleth on the head of the true
believer" Scripture says, speaking of Christ's anointing by the Spirit (Luke
3:22), "And the Holy Spirit descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon
Him." The fact of the sign having been placed on the forehead will recall
the mystic sealing of God's servants on their foreheads. (Ezekiel 9:4,
Revelation 7:3 and elsewhere.) It would seem that this manifestation, viz.,
the miraculous sign, emblematic of the Blood of Jesus and the Holy Spirit,
was a revelation of that sealing of which every true believer is partaker.
"In whom also, after ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of
promise." Ephesians 1:13.

One of the most remarkable features of these phenomena has been the speaking
in languages unknown by the speaker, many of which have been recognized as
clear modern languages, and in some cases understood in part by those having
some knowledge of the languages used. They have included German, French,
Hebrew, Greek, Armenian, Italian, and other languages. Such a phenomenon
recalls that of the Day of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit was poured out
upon the apostles and those with them, and as they were all filled with the
Holy Spirit they began to speak with other tongues as the Spirit gave them
utterance. Acts 2:4. The Holy Spirit is still being poured out, endowing
believers with graces for life, and supernatural gifts for service. He would
have us return to the purity and power of the Primitive Christian Church, as
these messages have stated, (March 3rd). "Behold ye, behold ye, I warn you,
O believers, to go on – go ye on in all that the Spirit promiseth you.
Strive ye for the Spiritual gifts, bring ye back the first church, and ye
shall find that which shall please you." And Scripture itself says, "Now
concerning spiritual gifts brethren, I would not have you ignorant," 1 Cor.
12:12, and again "Follow after love; yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts" 1
Cor. 14:1 RV.

It would seem that a mark of the near return of the Lord is to be an
especial outpouring of the Spirit. James 5:7-8, "The husbandman waiteth …
until he receive the early and the latter rain ... the coming of the Lord
draweth nigh." See also Joel's great prophecy as quoted by Peter in
connection with the outpouring of the Spirit on the Day of Pentecost, Acts
2:16-18. Verse 17 is given in full, "And it shall come to pass in the last
days, saith God, I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and
your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and
your old men shall dream dreams." Prophecy or inspired utterance is given as
one result of this outpouring. It was so on the Day of Pentecost and the
foregoing pages are proof of its having been fulfilled in this manifestation
also. These messages have many references to the soon coming of the Lord
Jesus Christ. As in Scripture so through His instrument in these messages He
spoke, "Behold I come quickly;" and we must believe that such a
manifestation with its clear prophetic utterances is designed to add another
witness to the many that show the soon coming of Him who is the "Desire of
all nations."

In connection with Joel's prophecy, it may be mentioned that dreams and
visions were to accompany the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. Not only in
those remarkable visions recorded in the foregoing pages but in the general
spiritual quickening which has accompanied this manifestation, this phase of
the prophecy has found a fulfillment in the event. Numbers have been given
remarkable dreams and visions, the value of which has been shown by the
results in the lives of those who have received them. Even small children
while praying together have seen visions which must have been objective as
seen by more than one (Chinese orphans at Adullam Orphanage in 1926 at
Kunming, Yunnan Province, SW China, written up in Visions Beyond the Veil"
and available through *www.IrisMin.com <http://www.irismin.com/> .*)

Some word as to the Scriptural tests of the supernatural in connection with
this manifestation would seem to be suitable at this juncture. The
instruction of the Scripture is this, "Despise not prophesyings. Prove all
things; hold fast that which is good." 1 Thess. 5:20-21.

The first we would cite is that of 1 Cor. 12:3. "No man can say that Jesus
is the Lord, but by the Holy Spirit." The test is to be applied in cases of
supernatural utterance as the context shows. If one speaking under such
inspiration ascribes Lordship and Deity to Jesus, the inspiration is that of
the Holy Spirit. While praying in languages unknown to herself the speaker
was heard to say, "Komm, Herr Jesu!" (German for "Come, Lord Jesus") In the
messages given by interpretation on the night of the 10th of January the
expression again occurred twice, "Come Lord Jesus." Among other references
one from the early morning of the 1st of March may be quoted, "God the
Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, all of the one God. Fall ye down,
worship ye the Maker of heaven and earth. Make a joyful voice to the Lord of
Glory, Jesus Christ the righteous."

A second test implies the confession of the humanity of Jesus Christ. 1 John
4:12, "Try the spirits … Hereby ye know the Spirit of God. Every spirit that
confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God." The humanity
of Jesus Christ is referred to in an expression occurring in the messages of
the 24th of February, "Kneel thou down before Me. Seek thou mercy, crying,
Have mercy on me, O Son of David, have mercy on me." (The expression, Son of
David, shows the human lineage of Jesus and consequently His real humanity
as the subsequent expressions show His mediatorship as God-Man and real
Deity). "Behold He sitteth now on the right hand of the Merciful and
intercedeth for you. Regard ye this. Come, O Lord Jesus, now, and dwell for
ever."

A third test is that from the lips of our Divine Master in the days of His
flesh. Matt. 7:15, "Ye shall know them by their fruits." Unlike the false
prophecy of such systems as Spiritualism in which the type of character in
the medium is no condition of his psychic gift, Christian prophecy demands
holiness of life and heart in the one used by the Holy Spirit for the
spiritual gift; and in the lives of others produces faith in Christ, love
for God, holiness of heart, and uprightness of walk. It may be confidently
stated that these have been the results of the manifestation. Christian
people on witnessing these scenes have been made conscious of the holiness
and power of God's presence. A minister on entering the room in which the
sister sat with the blood sign on her forehead, was made so conscious of the
overpowering presence of God that he might almost have fallen, and in his
own words he then knew what is the meaning of the word, "Be filled with the
Spirit." He went away and has ministered in new power since. A missionary of
long experience, who came to see, stated that she felt she was on holy
ground when there in Amman in the days of this manifestation. Blessings of a
revival nature were the immediate result. On the first appearance of the
sign, within a few minutes of its being seen, a member of the household was
truly converted and has lived as such ever since. Young men, in the
consequent stir, were truly transformed from sin to true witnessing
Christian lives, leaving off habits of the old sinful life. Women have been
changed and children also. Not only so, but those farther afield have been
stirred, and in other towns the news produced in some repentance, faith, and
spiritual life. Even Jews and Moslems have come under the power of the
manifestation. It has resulted in the salvation of souls and glorified God
in Christ; and to many this will be the conclusive test.

As a final test, the words of the liberal sage, Gamaliel may be cited. Acts
5:38-39, "If this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to naught;
but if it be of God ye cannot overthrow it." Nearly six months after the
first appearance of the sign, as these lines are being written one is
conscious that it was but the beginning of a work of God that continues to
bring blessing to souls and to exert its influence as the days go by. Other
manifestations have followed and these include the healing of the sick in
answer to prayer, and the re-appearance of the sign on the forehead of Mme.
Kawar under extraordinary circumstance. She was in Jaffa, Palestine, and
while talking to others the sign, not as blood, but bird-like in shape and
as light, re-appeared in the sight of numbers. Blessing is still being given
both to those who hear or read the account of the manifestation, and through
the ministry of those who have been saved or quickened through it. God has
begun to work a new way and will yet do mightier things.

And so this account is being sent forth accompanied by many prayers that it
will be used to bring life and life more abundant to many, as the power of
God's working is realized afresh, and as that blessed hope of the near
return of the Lord Jesus is revived through the promise of these messages
and the lessons which will be drawn from the fact of such a manifestation,
so indicative of His coming.

"Surely I come quickly." "Amen. Even so, come Lord Jesus."

*FORTY YEARS LATER.* – It is now forty years since the manifestations of the
Divine presence recorded in the first section of this booklet took place.
The accompanying messages given in the Spirit through the medium of the
Arabic language cover a period of approximately three months during January,
February and March of 1933. Both the original Arabic booklet and its English
translation have been reissued a number of times. A second series of
messages in the Spirit given over another period of three months from August
26 to October 22 in the same year was issued in the original Arabic with
reprints, but the English translation of the same has not been printed up
until the present time. It is of real profit after the lapse of a generation
in which world-shaking events have taken place of which the Middle East has
had its share in upheavals, wars and bloodshed, to see how these messages
have pin-pointed the place of this generation in the prophetical time-table
of Scripture. Rabbath-Ammon, the modern Amman, swelled by successive waves
of refugees and displaced persons as well as by normal urbanization, is now
estimated to have a population approaching the three quarters of a million
mark. It has had its baptism of fire in destruction and death in its streets
as intimated by these messages and the promises of Divine protection have
been as marvelously fulfilled for those who trusted in their Lord. The
sister used as the channel of these messages has passed on to be with her
Lord as have numbers who were eye-witnesses of the 1933 revival in Amman.
Meanwhile the churches of the redeemed in these lands continue to increase
in numbers and to grow in grace waiting for the coming of the Lord Jesus
with keen discernment of the signs of the times in what is taking place
around them and in the world at large.

May the re-reading of these messages quicken in all the sense of the
responsibilities and privileges of those living in  these last days when we
can almost hear the cry, "Behold the Bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet
Him."

*FRIDAY, 29TH SEPTEMBER, 1933*

As formerly, the Speaker while under the power of the Holy Spirit, after
speaking in languages unknown to her naturally, which included the German,
Greek, French, Latin and others which were not recognized by those present,
gave utterance in the Spirit to a message in Arabic, the translation of
which follows:-

*Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah. Give ye the glory to the Father,
Creator of the worlds;*

*He bringeth low the proud and raiseth the fallen.*

*Glorify Him, magnify Him, O ye who are now beneath His mercy.*

*Rejoice and be glad, O waiting soul, for everything shall be given thee.*

*Be revived, O weary soul, for verily I am thy Deliverer.*

*The dry land will make green before thee:*

*lean thou upon Him who is stronger than thee.*

*Delight thyself O weary soul, in the Lord thy Creator and Protector for I
am thy Comforter.*

*Prostrate ye yourselves and worship ye now, and see the face of the
Redeemer.*

*Who of you is able to protect himself?*

*I am the Lord thy Protector. Seek ye my face so will I shine upon you.*

*I will give you all that I have promised you. Wait ye a little.*

*Humble yourselves; be ye sanctified; everything shall be given you.*

*Cause ye none to be deceived; I the Lord do work with power.*

*Despair not, O believer; I the Lord am thy upholder; I the Lord go before
thee; *

*Follow thou Me -- so shalt thou obtain good; I the Lord will enrich you, *

*I the Lord am thy Healer; I am the Lord who says to a thing, Be; and it is.
*

*Israel** shall soon return and the land shall be built up (or populated).*

*Despair thou not neither grow thou faint for I the Lord am thy Keeper.*

*The inhabited earth shall be greatly troubled; *

*abide thou steadfast in Me, O ye in whose midst I am speaking.*

*Give thou glory to the Father and honor to the Son, and reverence to the
Holy Spirit.*

*Receive ye Him, honor ye Him, to Him be glory and honor and worship.*

* *

* *

*NOTE: **For more information and books please contact*

*Samira Kawar*

*13049 Brookpark Rd***

*Oakland**, **CA** **94619-9991***

*Or – E-Mail Kawarst at msn.com*

*Or – www.kawars.com*

* *

This book can only be reproduced in the case of brief quotations as the
above to encourage readers to obtain the full book.

This book was given to me by a friend in Regina, Saskatchewan. JW.

* *

* *

*FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES – Web:**
http://skagitattic.no-ip.org/pipermail/jmbetter/ *