The Lord's Money Box

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 23:12:43 PDT 2007

*"TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt – Beth Chesed, **Tacoma***

*PO Box **25116 – Federal Way** **WA** **98089-2116***

*Web: www.2rbetter.org – Fax: 253.474.0189*

*Tel: 253.874.4265 – Fax: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*June 28, 2007***

* *

*"THE LORD'S MONEY BOX"*

*(From: "Under His Wings" by H.A. Baker"}*

* *

*Letters by Mrs. Baker*

We took a few girls into the Adullam home, also a few very small boys. Mrs.
Baker gives some account to these in letters that she wrote at the time from
which I now quote: One rainy evening as we walked along, my Bible woman
called my attention to a boy lying by the side of a wet street. He was so
sick that my heart ached for him. He was crying for a drink of water. We got
him moved under the shelter of an extending roof, promising to take him with
us. On our way home we engaged a beggar to carry our newly found sick boy.
As these outcasts are all in such filthy conditions, no one except another
beggar will touch them and then will do so only for money.

            Before we arrived at the place where we had left the sick boy we
found another one in a still worse condition. It was raining and almost
dark. There the little boy was, alone and apparently dying on the muddy
street. Many people were passing by, but no one seemed to notice him. There
was only one thing for me to do; that was for me to find someone to carry
him home for us. I did feel sure the Lord would heal these boys. In any
case, I was certain it was the Lord's will for me to do all I could for
them. Can you imagine our returning at dusk with two beggars, each with a
dying boy on his back? On another rainy day the children came running to me
saying, "There is a little girl on the step." There she was, scarcely able
to sit up. Her feet were already swollen. That is one of the symptoms of
near death in this disease. This little girl was such a dear little child.
Her body was so starved that when I picked her up it seemed as if her bones
would come unjointed. For days I dared to give such children only rice, and
raw egg.

            Just a week ago on a cold afternoon our son James came to me
saying, "Oh, mother, there is the prettiest little boy left at our gate."
While it was still raining, I went out to take a look at him. I opened the
door just in time to see him fall forward on his face. His little bare feet
were in a puddle of water. As I picked him up I saw that he was about to
draw his last breath. I thought how cruel it was for any one to put a child
out in the cold and rain to die like that. We carried the child into the
house; then we wrapped him in blankets and put his cold feet into warm
water. Gradually the stiffened jaws relaxed, the set eyes slowly closed.
Thirteen hours later he wakened from a peaceful sleep. Although too feeble
at first to move hand or foot, from that time on the child showed no sign of
disease and he gradually gained strength. When we undressed this child
wearing boy's clothing we found that we had a little girl. She grew up in
our Adullam Home. End quote.

            These articles written at the time as just quoted are
characteristic and give a fair idea of the beginning of the Adullam Rescue
Orphanage that continued for ten years, having eighty children in it the
last two years.

            The Lord began visiting these children miraculously from the
start. I shall now quote an account of the first few who were baptized in
water. Quote. As we were kneeling in prayer the boys would all be praising
when one after another, being quietly filled with the Spirit would slip down
on the floor until four or five at a time would be lost in the things of
God. One boy was taken in a vision, as real as life, along a narrow rocky,
steep path. He had to cross a narrow bridge suspended by chains over a
river. From there he was led upward and onward as the path grew wider and
more beautiful. Farther on it led into glories such as tongue could not
describe. There were trees and fruit and birds and flowers in a park of
great dimensions where God seemed to have collected the most beautiful of
Edenic creation. From this beautiful Eden-park the boy was led by an angel
through a magnificent gate into the heavenly city. Inside the city the angel
guided the heavenly visitor to see Jesus and then took him to see the city.
Everywhere they went were angels and people dressed in white. All were
happy; many were singing. Everywhere they welcomed the visitor. Wherever
they went the people kept saying, "Oh, you have come, have you?" It seemed
impossible to describe the golden streets that were glasslike. The boy was
shown mansions, which he was told had been prepared for those who would
believe. "When you return tell the people all these things are prepared for
them," Jesus said.

*The Lord's Money Box*

Jesus in vision gave this boy a locked box to carry on his back. Upon the
box were written five Chinese words, "Ye Suh Gi Duh Chien"
(Jesus-Christ-Money). A key was put in the boy's hand, the straps of the box
placed over his shoulders, and then he started back home with the box. He
was told that the money in the box was to buy food and clothing for the
children and that he was to carry it to our Adullam Rescue Home.

            The boy then returned by the same road he had gone over. On the
bridge he had a conflict with the devil. Having overcome the devil, he
continued his journey home, rejoicing at his victory over the devil and
because of the money inside the box that Jesus had given him to bring home.

            Having returned to earth, now being conscious and realizing that
he was in our room, when he looked around, the vision was still so real that
he kept feeling his back for some minutes before he could make himself
believe that he did not have that box of "Jesus-Christ-Money" still strapped
to his back.

            I told him that perhaps the Lord was going to send us some
money, as we had been praying for money for the children's needs. "Jesus has
already given the money," the boy insisted. "I know He has already given
it."

            A week later at the time of the Chinese New Year we had enough
money given in special New Year gifts to buy suits and caps for all the
boys, give them two extra fine meals, buy them fruit, candy, fire crackers,
and give them a dollar apiece. The boy who brought the Lord's money box from
heaven said, "This is some of the money the Lord gave in that box." Just the
other day a gift of some money came for the children's needs from a woman in
very poor circumstances. When I told the boys about it, the boy who brought
the Lord's money box was sure this gift also came out of that box. I think
so too.

*More About The Lord's Money Box*

That vision of the "Jesus-Christ-money" box as given to that boy was a true
revelation of our divine money provision. From the day of that money box to
today, for over forty years, we have never gone to any other source for
money needs. Never once have we asked any man for a cent. Never in our
literature have we thrown out even a hint for money. No one could tell from
my writing whether we were well or poorly supported or how we were provided
for. I now make this first announcement: our requests for money have been to
Jesus alone. Our source of supply has been the Lord's money-box. As
indicated by that money box, the supply has never run short. Without going
to any one except to the Lord to make our needs known, we conducted the
Adullam Rescue Orphanage ten years, the last two years of which there were
eighty children. In this way we used thousands of dollars. There never was a
time during all of those ten years when I could not go to the Lord and get
the money, clothing, bedding, rice, vegetables, and any other food needed. I
provided a school teacher and a teacher also to teach a trade, paid the rent
and met every money need, yet always had money for future needs. We have
personally used thousands of dollars for living expenses, travel to and from
America, our son's education, our mission needs, rent etc. Since coming to
Formosa we have given thousands of dollars to the poor and starving. We have
sent out over half a million Chinese gospel tracts.

            Then, again, when I felt led to write books I was led to print
and publish these myself in order to be free. That took additional thousands
of dollars. We have given many thousands of dollars to send out gospel
tracts in sixty-five languages. Since starting the Adullam Rescue Home we
began at intervals to publish and distribute the news booklet called *"The
Adullam News."*

            The Lord has so provided that by the time any need would arise
there would always be enough money in the Lord's Adullam Money Box to avoid
any cause for anxiety. The "Jesus-Christ-Money-box" has never been empty to
this day. Since the boy in vision was given the key to the Lord-given money
box we have been given access to the treasures of a king.

            Upon being forced by the communists to return to America, as
before when at home, the Lord continued to supply our needs without our
asking any man or church for anything. It was never necessary in any of my
talks to mention a money need; I had none. The Lord saved me the
embarrassment of ever having to solicit money. On the contrary, He enabled
me to carry some of my books wherever we went and give them away. In that
way our campaigns among the churches were giving-visitations by which we
were able to give away thousands of dollars worth of my books. In our final
campaign up the west coast, while I gave away several thousand dollars worth
of books about the same amount was freely given to us. A happy shifting
about of the Lord's money.

            All of these many years our work has not been supported by large
gifts. Our money co-workers have almost exclusively been individuals who
have been more interested in Jesus and His work that they were interested in
any denomination or in any doctrine about Jesus. Many of these faithful
friends have been backing us from the very start of our independent work for
the Lord. How could we have done what has been done for the kingdom of
Christ without the help of these consecrated friends who have given so
freely and prayed so earnestly for us all these years?

            All money that comes brings a sense of anxiety lest we might
fail to make every one of these consecrated dollars do the most possible
good for Jesus. As stewards of the Lord's money we have an incessant sense
of responsibility. That being true, all our life time Mrs. Baker and I have
been very careful in the use of money and have tried to be as sparing as
possible. The more economically we could live the better we were satisfied.

            Although at times the money in the box was scarce, the box was
never entirely empty. We never made a purchase until there was enough money
in the box to pay the price. I never undertook the printing of a book till I
had enough money to pay the printer. Since, as I have said, our marriage
resolution was to "owe no one anything, except to love one another," the
Lord knew our truthful intention and has seen to it that our purpose has
been carried out to the end.

            After receiving the Holy Spirit, when we left for China we knew
of no man or church intending to support us with any money, as already
related. In our publication, in the Adullam News, we did not even say that
we were "faith missionaries" as a hint for money. Neither did we say that we
were without church or organized backing. To trust God alone meant that our
needs must be made known to God alone. If we made our money and our other
needs known to God in secret, did He not promise to reward us openly? Would
not that open reward include money?

            The Lord gradually raised up individuals here and there to pray
for our work and send gifts as led by the Lord, as just stated. Since this
money was consecrated money given out of loving hearts, it was like putting
the Lord's money into our hands.

            This is the first time I have thus written about financial
affairs and doubtless the only time I shall do so. However, in writing my
life story – it would lack much were I to omit this account of how Jesus has
supplied all of our needs as well as desires and also controlled both our
desires and needs.

*NOTE:*  H.A. Baker was 83 and Mrs. Baker 80 when he wrote his autobiography
"Under His Wings" in Taiwan.

            This portion which I have quoted on "The Lord's Money Box" is
very parallel to what "Rees Howells Intercessor" experienced in Wales, and
"George Muller of Bristol" experienced in England. All 3 lives set forth a
very challenging account relating to finances.

            H.A. Baker's account is now out of print. I am now the same age
as when H.A. Baker wrote it. I am praying that someone will be led of the
Lord Jesus to put this remarkable book back into print.

            I would like to close with a personal prayer request: On
Wednesday July 4th I fly to Regina, Saskatchewan, the Canadian
Provincewhere God poured out of His Spirit in 1948. I do so at the
request of Pastor
Femi Ogunrinde of "Light House to All Nations Church." On Thursday a Film
Crew is recording an interview for DVD; Friday, a luncheon with city
pastors; Friday evening and Saturday from 9 to 4, a "School of Revival" on
the 12 Embryonic Revival Principles brought together by God in 1948; On
Saturday evening, the ending of a 40 day fast which Lou Engle orchestrated
throughout North America; And then a final Sunday morning service.

            One of our men at Beth Chesed, Tacoma pointed out that though
the final night will be on 07-07-07 – the final morning will be 07-08-07 –
the number of Resurrection. May it indeed release in a new dimension the
truths brought together in 1948.

Jim Watt

* *

* *