2 Thessalonians 2 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 09:32:17 PDT 2013

March 29, 2013

 *OCT 7 - 2 THESSALONIANS 2 - CAUTION: ON THE TIME OF CHRIST’S RETURN*

 *1. 2:1-2 (2:1-4, NNT) DAY OF MESSIAH: RELATED WITH MAN OF SIN
REVELATION. “Now
we ask you, brethren, as to the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ, and our
gathering together unto him; 2 that you be not quickly shaken from your :mind,
nor be troubled, either by spirit, or by word, or by epistle as from us, as
that the day of the Lord is on;” *Father, make us like Issachar (1
Chronicles 12:32), who had understanding of Your times, and what to do.
They understood Your Kingdom! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 2:5-6. PRESENT HINDRANCE. “Remember you not, that, when I was yet with
you, I told you these things? 6 And now you know what restrains, so that he
be revealed in his own :season.” *We thank You Father, that Satan is Your
servant, who can *only* do that which You permit him! We remember Job
(1:12; 2:6). With *You* Father, *there are no second causes*: You either do
it, or permit it. We will not fight You. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 2:7. SPIRIT OF WITHHOLDER: TO INCREASE UNTIL MANIFESTED. For the
mystery of :lawlessness does already work: only there is :one that
restrains now, until he become out of the midst.” *Satan is beholden to the
Spirit of Christ. He is limited. He was defeated at Calvary. His head is
crushed and his legal authority removed. Christ Jesus is his conqueror. He
is a defeated for. You Father, spread a table for us in front of him! *Your
:will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 2:8 (2:8-10) LAWLESSNESS PERSONIFIED THROUGH SATAN: CHRIST’S
OMNIPOTENCE! “And then shall be revealed the lawless one, whom the Lord
Jesus shall slay with the spirit of his :mouth, and bring to nothing by the
manifestation of his :presence:” *Only for a *very* short time. Like
Hitler, he will *soon* pass from the scene. His 1000 year reign will be cut
short and end in ignominy! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 2:11-12. STRONG DELUSION. “And for this cause :God sends them a
working of error, that they should believe the lie: 12 that they all might
be judge who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in :unrighteousness. *O
we mourn for the blindness and rebellion of those who choose Satan and his
servants rather than Christ and His prophets and apostles! Father, ever
keep us alert to the deception, delusion and seduction of the enemy. *And
forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 2:13-14 (2:13-15) THANKSGIVING: ITS EFFECTIVE BASIS. “But WE are bound
to thank :God always for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because :God
chose you from the beginning unto salvation in sanctification of the Spirit
and by belief of the truth: 14 thereunto he called you through our :gospel,
to the obtaining of our Lord Jesus Christ’s glory.” *Thank You Father, for
Your Sovereign choices (John 15:16).* *We have not chosen You, but You in
Christ have chosen *us*. *You* loved us while we were still ungodly and
sinners! *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 2:16-17. A POWERFUL PRAYER. “Now our :Lord Jesus Christ himself, and
God our :Father who loved us and gave eternal comfort and good hope in
grace, 17 comfort your :hearts and establish in every good work and
word.” *Father,
we bless You that You and Jesus are teamed up to see us through and fulfill
Your purpose: *bringing many sons unto glory* (Hebrews 2:10). *And deliver
us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE: 2:3-4 (2:1-4) FIRST ANTICHRIST: THEN THE LORD TO DEFEAT HIM. “Let
no one beguile you in any wise: for not unless the falling away come first,
and the man of :lawlessness be revealed, the son of :destruction, 4 he that
opposes and exalts himself against every one called God or an object of
worship; so that he sits in the temple of :God, setting himself forth as
being God.” *Two second comings of Christ including a secret rapture, had
not been heard or taught in the church till the early 1800’s. George
Muller, Joseph Tregelles and Charles Spurgeon stood strongly against this
new revelation that came through a woman prophet, and picked up by John
Darby of the Plymouth Brethren. H.A. Baker has written “Through
Tribulation” which accords with these three. Do an “Amazon” book search on
this latter, and you can receive a free preview.

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 97:10 (97, ESV) THE LORD REIGNS. “O you who love
the LORD, hate evil! He preserves the lives of his saints; he delivers them
from the hand of the wicked.” *Your saints Father, are those who have
experienced Your Covenant Love (CHEsed) and have drank deeply of it.
*They*are Your holy ones (cha-saDIYM). Like Jesus, the Holy Spirit has
taught
them to hate evil. They do not pollute Your Name by an unholy walk.
They *hallow
your :name!*

 *Subject: *As the last Psalm sung the praises of the Lord in connection
with the proclamation of the Gospel among the Gentiles, so this appears to
foreshadow the mighty working of the Holy Spirit in subduing the colossal
systems of error and casting down the idol gods. One Psalm in this series
is said to be “in David,” and we believe that the rest are in the same
place and by the same author. The matter is not important, and we only
mention it because it seems to be the pride of certain critics to set up
new theories; and there are readers who imagine this to be a sure proof of
prodigious learning. We do not believe that their theories are worth the
paper they are written upon.

 97:1. *The Lord reigns; let the earth rejoice; let the multitude of isles
be glad thereof. *This is the watchword of this Psalm - Jehovah reigns. It
is also the essence of the gospel proclamation and the foundation of the
gospel kingdom. Jesus has come, and all power is given to Him in heaven and
in earth; therefore men are bidden to yield Him their obedient faith.
Saints draw comfort from these words, and only rebels cavil at them.

 97:2. *Clouds and darkness are round about Him. *Around the history of His
church, dark clouds of persecution hover, and an awful gloom at times
settles down; still the Lord is there; and though men for a while see not
the bright light in the clouds, it bursts forth in due season to the
confusion of the adversaries of the Gospel. This passage should teach us
the impertinence of attempting to pry into the essence of the Godhead, the
vanity of all endeavors to understand the mystery of the Trinity in unity,
the arrogance of arraigning the Most High before the bar of human reason,
the folly of dictating to the Eternal One the manner in which He should
proceed. Wisdom veils her face and adores the mercy which conceals the
divine purpose; folly rushes in and perishes, blinded first, and by-and-by
consumed by the blaze of glory. *Righteousness and judgment are the
habitation of His throne. *When the roll of the decrees and the books of
the divine providence shall be opened, no eye shall there discern one word
that should be blotted out, one syllable of error, one line of injustice,
one letter of unholiness. Of none but the Lord of all can this be said.

 97:4. *The earth saw, and trembled. *Nothing ever caused such a shaking
and commotion as the proclamation of the Gospel; nothing was more majestic
than its course; it turned the world upside down, leveled the mountains,
and filled up the valleys. Jesus came, He saw, He conquered. When the Holy
Spirit rested upon His servants, their course was like that of a mighty
storm, the truth flashed with the force and speed of a thunderbolt, and
philosophers and priests, princes and people, were utterly confounded, and
altogether powerless to withstand it. It shall be so again. Faith even now
sets the world on fire and rocks the nations to and fro.

 97:10. *You that love the Lord, hate evil. *For He hates it, His fire
consumes it, His lightnings blast it, His presence shakes it out of its
place, and His glory confounds all the lovers of it. We cannot love God
without hating that which He hates. We are not only to avoid evil, and to
refuse to countenance it, but we must be in arms against it, and bear
towards it a hearty indignation. *He delivers them out of the hand of the
wicked.* It is not consistent with the glory of His name to give over to
the power of His foes those whom His grace has made His friends. He may
leave the bodies of His persecuted saints in the hand of the wicked, but
not their souls; these are very dear to Him, and He preserves them safe in
His bosom. This foretells for the church a season of battling with the
powers of darkness, but the Lord will preserve it and bring it forth to the
light.

 97:11. *And gladness for the upright in heart. ** *Those who are
right-hearted shall also be glad-hearted. Right leads to light. In the
furrows of integrity lie the seeds of happiness, which shall develop into a
harvest of bliss. God has lightning for sinners and light for saints. The
gospel of Jesus, wherever it goes, sows the whole earth with joy for
believers, for these are the men who are righteous before the Lord.

 97:12. *And give thanks at the remembrance of His holiness. *An unholy
gospel is no gospel. The holiness of the religion of Jesus is its glory, it
is that which makes it glad tidings, since while man is left in his sins no
bliss can be his portion. Salvation from sin is the priceless gift of our
thrice holy God; therefore let us magnify Him forever and ever. He will
fill the world with holiness, and so with happiness; therefore let us glory
in His holy name, world without end. Amen. (*From “The Treasury of David”
by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*