Micah 6-7 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 09:15:10 PDT 2013

March 19, 2013

 *SEP 29 - MICAH 6-7 - EXHORTATIONS WITH PROMISED RESTORATION*

 *1. 6:5 (6:1-5, ESV) THE NEED OF RESTORATION. “O my people, remember what
Balak king of Moab devised, and what Balaam the son of Beor answered him,
and what happened from Shittim to Gilgal, that you may know the saving acts
of the LORD.”*

Your Kingdom of *Righteousness*, Joy and Peace was known Father, even in
Your dealings with Israel, Balaam and Balak! We rejoice that You are
Jehovah of both covenants. *Hallowed be your :name. *

 *2. 6:8 (6:6-8) THE REQUIREMENTS OF RESTORATION. **“He has told you, O
man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice,
and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” *It is not our
outward service and lip worship that delights You Father, but what proceeds
out of our heart in oneness with You through Christ. *This* we aspire
after! A heart like David’s, after Your heart! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 6:9 (6:9-16) JUDGMENTS LEADING TO RESTORATION. **“The voice of the
LORD cries to the city - and it is sound wisdom to fear your name: ‘Hear of
the rod and of him who appointed it!’” *The sin of Samaria has contaminated
and polluted Judah. A little leaven leavens the whole lump. Nothing for
Judah at this time can hold back Your judgment, Father! Write this truth on
our hearts. We would not walk carelessly or high-minded. *Your :will be
done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 7:5-6 (7:1-6) DESOLATIONS ARGUING FOR RESTORATION. **“Put no trust in
a neighbor; have no confidence in a friend; guard the doors of your mouth
from her who lies in your arms; **6 **for the son treats the father with
contempt, the daughter rises up against her mother, the daughter-in-law
against her mother-in-law; a man’s enemies are the men of his own house.” **
Woe* is upon us when we turn from You Father, and walk in our own sinful
ways. *All* betray us, and You engineer it, and let it be so. We deserve
it, and yet more. But in wrath You remember mercy. Awaken us to our senses
through Your judgments. Make us wise like the prodigal. *Our :daily :bread
Give us this day.*

 *5. 7:8 (7:7-10) REPENTANCE LEADING TO RESTORATION. **“Rejoice not over
me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD
will be a light to me.” *We bless You Father, with all our hearts: for when
we repent and turn to You, You draw nigh to us! *And forgive us our :debts,
As we also have forgiven our :debtors!*

 *6. 7:11 (7:11-17) ISRAEL’S REGATHERING: SIGN OF RESTORATION. **“A day for
the building of your walls! In that day the boundary shall be far
extended.” *O Your Majesty Father, in the day You restore Your people! Your
fear then comes upon the peoples! *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 7:18 (7:18-20) THE GOD OF RESTORATION! **“Who is a God like you,
pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his
inheritance? He does not retain his anger forever, because he delights in
steadfast love (CHEsed).” *O Father, our hearts are overwhelmed at this
revelation of Your heart! *You* are our great Jehovah Father! *But deliver
us from the evil **one!*

 *NOTE**: 7:19-20 (7:18-20) GOD’S COMPASSION LEADING TO RESTORATION. **“He
will again have compassion on us; he will tread our iniquities underfoot.
You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea. **20 **You will show
faithfulness to Jacob and steadfast love to Abraham, as you have sworn to
our fathers from the days of old.” *O Father, our hearts are melted at Your
grace!

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 89:3, 33-34 (89) I WILL SING OF THE STEADFAST LOVE
OF THE LORD. You have said, “I have made a covenant with my chosen one; I
have sworn to David my servant: 33 but I will not remove from him my
steadfast love or be false to my faithfulness. 34 I will not violate my
covenant or alter the word that went forth from my lips.” **Great* is Your
faithfulness, O God our Father! What goes forth out of Your mouth, You
bring to pass.

 We have now reached the majestic Covenant Psalm, which, according to the
Jewish arrangement, closes the third book of the Psalms. It is the
utterance of a believer in presence of great national disaster, pleading
with his God, urging the grand argument of covenant engagements and
expecting deliverance and help because of the faithfulness of Jehovah.

 89:3. *I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my
servant. *In Christ Jesus, there is a covenant established with all the
Lord’s chosen, and they are by grace led to be the Lord’s servants and then
are ordained kings and priests by Christ Jesus. How sweet it is to see the
Lord, not only making a covenant but owning to it in after days, and
bearing witness to His own oath; this ought to be solid ground for faith,
and Ethan, the Ezrahite, evidently thought it so.

 89:14. *Mercy and truth shall go before Your face. *Thus has the poet sung
the glories of the covenant God. It was meet that before he poured forth
his lament he should record his praise, lest his sorrow should seem to have
withered his faith. Before we argue our case before the Lord, it is most
becoming to acknowledge that we know Him to be supremely great and good,
whatever may be the appearance of His providence; this is such a course as
every wise man will take who desires to have an answer of peace in the day
of trouble.

 89:19. *I have exalted one chosen out of the people. *David was God’s
elect, elect out of the people as one of themselves, and elect to the
highest position in the state. In his extraction, election, and exaltation,
he was an eminent type of the Lord Jesus, Who is the Man of the people, the
chosen of God, and the King of His church. Whom God exalts, let us exalt.
Woe unto those who despise him; they are guilty of contempt of court before
the Lord of Hosts, as well as of rejecting the Son of God.

 89:29. *His seed also will I make to endure forever*. David’s seed lives
on in the person of the Lord Jesus, and the seed of Jesus in the persons of
believers. Saints are a race that neither death nor hell can kill. Rome and
its priests, with their inquisition and other infernal cruelties, have
labored to exterminate the covenant seed, but “vain is their rage, their
efforts vain.” As long as God lives, His people must live.

 89:51. *Wherewith they have reproached the footsteps of Your
anointed. *Tracking
Him and finding occasion to blaspheme at every turn; not only watching His
words and actions, but even His harmless steps. Neither Christ nor His
church can please the world, whichever way we turn scoffers will rail.

 Does this verse refer to the oft-repeated sarcasm, “Where is the promise
of His coming?” Is the reproach aimed at the delays of the Messiah, those
long-expected footfalls which as yet are unheard?” O Lord, how long shall
this threadbare taunt continue? How long? How long? *(From “The Treasury of
David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*

 *HERE ENDS BOOK III OF THE BOOK OF PSALMS*

 *O SUBSCRIBE - Please Email: mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org*