Micah 1-2 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 08:49:28 PDT 2013

March 17, 2013

 *SEP 27 - MICAH 1-2 - THREATS OF COMING JUDGMENT*

 *1. 1:2 (1:1-4, ESV) JUDGMENT: THROUGH JEHOVAH. “Hear, you peoples, all of
you; pay attention, O earth, and all that is in it, and let the Lord GOD be
a witness against you, the Lord from his holy temple.” *Jehovah Father, You
are Sovereign Lord! You can do *all* things. You can chastise, judge and
purge Your people. You *do* so! And in wrath, You remember mercy! *Hallowed
be your :name.*

 *2. 1:5 (1:5-9) JUDGMENT: FOR THE TRANSGRESSION OF JACOB. “All this is for
the transgression of Jacob and for the sins of the house of Israel. What is
the transgression of Jacob? Is it not Samaria? And what is the high place
of Judah? Is it not Jerusalem?” *Samaria first - then Judah! What man sows,
he *must* reap! Your judgments Father, are necessary, righteous and just.
We deserve *more* than You mete out! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 1:12 (1:10-16) JUDGMENT: UPON JUDAH AND JERUSALEM. “For the
inhabitants of Maroth (bitterness) wait anxiously for good, because
disaster has come down from the LORD to the gate of Jerusalem.” *How blind
we are, Father! We think judgment will fall on every one else but
ourselves. We think that as Your chosen ones Your grace covers all our sins
and rebellion, and that the law of sowing and reaping is lifted for us. How
blind! How foolish! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 2:3 (2:1-3) WOE TO OPPRESSORS. “Therefore thus says the LORD: behold,
against this family I am devising disaster, from which you cannot remove
your necks, and you shall not walk haughtily, for it will be a time of
disaster.” *Father, forgive us for our willful, obdurate and determined
blindness! Forgive us our oppressions, and grant contrition and repentance
of heart! Forgive us our sins in the home against spouse and family.
Forgive us our sin against believer and unbeliever alike. Forgive us for
sullying Your Name! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 2:4 (2:4-5) LAMENTATION FOR THOSE JUDGED. “In that day they shall take
up a taunt song against you and moan bitterly, and say, ‘We are utterly
ruined; he changes the portion of my people; how he removes it from me! To
an apostate he allots our fields.’” *O Father, be with us when temptation’s
hour is necessary. *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our
:debtors.*

 *6. 2:11 (2:6-11) JUDGMENT OF JUDAH: FALSE PROPHETS. “If a man should go
about and utter wind and lies, saying, ‘I will preach to you of wine and
strong drink,’ he would be the preacher for this people!” *God help us! We
deserve the prophets and leaders over us: women and children (ISA 3:12)! We
want it so and love it so. Like Daniel, we pray for our sins and the sins
of our fathers. O Father, hear our confession and heal our land. *And bring
us not into temptation.*

 *7. 2:12 (2:12-13) JUDGMENT BY BREAKER: RESTORATION BY MESSIAH. “I will
surely assemble all of you, O Jacob; I will gather the remnant of Israel; I
will set them together like sheep in a fold, like a flock in its pasture, a
noisy multitude of men.” *Righteous, Just and Holy art Thou, O Father, King
of the universe! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE: C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: “A Little Sin” - *For a little sin, or for a
sin, however great, which had but little of evil in its consequences, we
might have been saved by some finite being; but if God himself must quit
his high abode, and sojourn here to be our Saviour, then was our ruin
terrible in the extreme.

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 87:1-3; 5-7 (87) GLORIOUS THINGS OF YOU ARE
SPOKEN. “On the holy mount stands the city he founded; 2 the LORD loves the
gates of Zion more than all the dwelling places of Jacob. 3 Glorious things
of you are spoken, O city of God.” *Father, You take pleasure in us, Your
holy city, Your habitation, Your Zion! We bless You that You have chosen us
as Your dwelling place. *87:5-7 “And of Zion it shall be said, ‘This one
and that one were born in her’; for the Most High himself will establish
her. 6 The LORD records as he registers the peoples, ‘This one was born
there.’ Selah 7 Singers and dancers alike say, ‘All my springs are in
you.’” *Father, faithfully You chastise us as sons, that this might come to
pass!

 *Subject and Division*: The song is in honor of Zion, or Jerusalem, and it
treats of God’s favor to that city among the mountains, the prophecies
which made it illustrious, and the honor of being a native of it. Many
conceive that it was written at the founding of David’s city of Zion, but
does not the mention of Babylon imply a later date? It would seem to have
been written after Jerusalem and the Temple had been built and had enjoyed
a history of which glorious things could be spoken.

 87:1. *His foundation is in the holy mountains. *Sudden passion is evil,
but bursts of holy joy are most precious. Not on the sand of carnal policy,
nor in the morass of human kingdoms, has the Lord founded His church, but
on His own power and godhead, which are pledged for the establishment of
His beloved church, which is to Him the chief of all His works. Rome
standson her seven hills and has never lacked a poet’s tongue to sing
her
glories, but more glorious far are You, O Zion, among the eternal mountains
of God: while pen can write or mouth can speak, Your praises shall never
lie buried in inglorious silence.

 87:7. *All my springs are in You. *The springs of my faith and all my
graces; the springs of my life and all my pleasures; the springs of my
activity, and all its right doings; the springs of my hope, and all its
heavenly anticipations, all lie in You, my Lord. Without Your Spirit I
should be as a dry well, a mocking cistern, destitute of power to bless
myself or others. O Lord, I am assured that I belong to the regenerate
whose life is in You, for I feel that I cannot live without You; therefore,
with all Your joyful people will I sing Your praises. *(From: “The Treasury
of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*