Colossians 3:5-17

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 09:13:48 PDT 2013

March 13, 2013

 *SEP 23 - COLOSSIANS 3:5-17 - RESURRECTION: LEADS US TO PUT ON CHRIST*

 *1. 3:5-7 (NNT) RESURRECTION: ENABLES US TO PUT OFF WORKS OF FLESH. “Put
to death therefore the members which are upon the earth: fornication,
uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and :covetousness, which is idolatry; 6 for
which comes the wrath of :God: 7 wherein you also once walked, when you
lived in these;” *Father, we hear Your Word: we see what You have delivered
us from. We will *not* be as the dog which returns to its vomit. We are new
creations. We will walk in Your Kingdom. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 3:8-10a (3:8-11) RESURRECTION: ENABLES US TO PUT ON THE NEW MAN. “But
now do you also put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, railing, shameful
speaking out of your :mouth: 9 lie not one to another; seeing you have put
off the old man with his :doings, 10a and have put on the new.” *This is a
picture of us, Father. You see us perfect and perfected in Christ. This is
Your will for our proper behavior! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 3:12-13. RESURRECTION: FREES US TO PUT ON CHRIST’S FRUIT AND
FORGIVENESS. “Put on therefore, as chosen of :God, holy and beloved, bowels
of compassion, kindness, lowliness, meekness, longsuffering; 13 forbearing
one another, and forgiving each other, if any one have a compliant against
any; even as the Lord forgave you, so also do you.” *Yes Father, Your
nature and character we would have shine out from us, especially the
forgiving spirit of Jesus. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 3:14. RESURRECTION: FREES US TO PUT ON PERFECT LOVE. “And above all
these things put on :love, which is the bond of perfectness.” *We Father,
are sons of the Resurrection. The Resurrection Spirit of Jesus abides in
us! Agap*e*-love is the unique manifestation of Resurrection life, and
bonds us together in maturity. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 3:15. RESURRECTION: FREES US INTO BODY PEACE AND THANKSGIVING. “And
let the peace of the Christ arbitrate in your :hearts, to which all you
were called in one body; and be you thankful.” **Peace*! by this we know we
are walking well-pleasing to you, Father! May we never walk in a way that
causes Your peace to flee away! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have
forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 3:16. RESURRECTION: FREES US INTO SINGING CHRIST’S WORD! “Let the word
of the Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing
yourselves with psalms, hymns, spiritual songs, with :grace singing in your
:hearts unto :God.” *Father, it is the rich Word of Christ indwelling us
that births the Song of the Lord! As we walk in and experience this truth,
how You can then expand our life! *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 3:17. RESURRECTION: FREES US IN USE OF JESUS’ NAME. “And whatever you
do in word or in deed, do all in the Lord Jesus’ name, thanking :God
theFather through him.”
*Father, we rejoice in this word. We immerse ourselves in it and in You.
You in us, we in You: by this we apprehend all You would have us perceive. *But
deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 3:10-11 **(3:8-11) RESURRECTION: BASIS FOR NEW MAN RENEWAL. “And
have put on the new, who is being renewed after the image of him that
created him: 11 where is no Greek and Jew, circumcision and uncircumcision,
barbarian, Scythian, bond, free; but Christ is all, and in all.” *We accept
this state of oneness, Father. We receive one another as fellow members of
Christ’s spiritual body.

 *C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: “Always Forgiving” - *You are often sinning, but he
is always forgiving you; you are often wandering, often erring, often
grieving him, but “he forgives all your iniquities.” I do not feel like
preaching when I touch this text. I heartily wish I could sit down and have
a happy cry over this blessed truth that my God is at this moment forgiving
me.

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 83:17-18 (83, ESV). O GOD, DO NOT KEEP SILENCE. “Let
them be put to shame and dismayed forever; let them perish in disgrace, 18 that
they may know that you alone, whose name is the LORD, are the Most High
over all the earth.” *Father, You confounded Your enemies who crucified
Your Son. Out of it You made the wrath of man and Satan to praise You.
*You*are the Master chess player!
*Hallowed be your :name!*

 *Title: “A Psalm, or Song of Asaph.” *This is the last occasion upon which
we shall meet with this eloquent writer. Asaph the seer is well aware of
the serious dangers arising from the powerful confederate nations, but his
soul in faith stays itself upon Jehovah, while as a poet-preacher he
excites his countrymen to prayer by means of this sacred lyric.

 83:2. *Your enemies make a tumult. *The adversaries of the church are
usually a noisy and a boastful crew. Their pride is a brass which sounds, a
symbol which is ever tinkling.

 83:4. *They have said, Come, and let us cut them off from being a
nation.*Easier said than done. Yet it shows how thorough-going are the
foes of the
church. Theirs was the policy of extermination. They laid the axe at the
root of the matter. Rome has always loved this method of warfare, and hence
she has gloated over the massacre of Bartholomew and the murders of the
Inquisition.

 83:9. *As to Sisera, as to Jabin, at the brook of Kison. *When God wills
it, a brook can be as deadly as a sea. Kison was as terrible to Jabin as
was the Red Sea to Pharaoh. How easily can the Lord smite the enemies of
His people! God of Gideon and of Barak, will You not again avenge Your
heritage of their bloodthirsty foes?

 83:11. *Make their nobles like Oreb, and like Zeeb: yes, all their princes
as Zebah and Zalmunna. *The Psalmist, seeing these four culprits hanging in
history upon a lofty gallows, earnestly asks that others of a like
character may, for truth and righteousness’ sake, share their fate.

 83:17. *Let them be confounded and troubled forever; yes, let them be put
to shame, and perish. *What a terrible doom it will be to the enemies of
God to be “confounded, and troubled forever” - to see all their schemes and
hopes defeated, and their bodies and souls full of anguish without end:
from such a shameful perishing, may our souls be delivered. *(From “The
Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*