Philippians 4 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 08:56:59 PDT 2013

March 10, 2013

 *SEP 20 - PHILIPPIANS 4 - JOY AND PEACE: FRUIT OF THE GOSPEL*

 *1. 4:1 (NNT) JOY OF PAUL: BASED ON ENDURANCE OF CONVERTS. “So that, my
brethren beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, thus stand fast in
theLord, beloved.”
*Here is the desire of Your heart also Father, from Your throne! We too
open ourselves to the fulfillment of this truth. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 4:2 (4:2-3) PEACE OF MIND: NECESSITY FOR FELLOW WORKERS. “I exhort
Euodia, and exhort Syntyche, to be of the same mind in the Lord.” *How sad
when we hurt Your Name Father, by our contentious behavior. Help us to walk
in the paths of righteousness for Your Name’s sake. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 4:6-7 (4:4-7) JOY AND PEACE: BASIS FOR PRAYER. “In nothing be anxious;
but in everything by :prayer and :supplication with thanksgiving let your
:requests be made known unto :God. 7 And the peace of :God, which passes
all understanding, shall guard your :hearts and your :thoughts in Christ
Jesus.” *All our need You will supply, Father! In Christ all provision has
been made. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 4:8 (4:8-9) THINGS OF PEACE: BASIS OF EXHORTATION. “For the rest,
brethren, whatever things are true, whatever are honorable, whatever
arejust, whatever
are pure, whatever are lovely, whatever are of good report; if there be any
virtue, and if any praise, take account thereof.” *Forgive us Father, for
neglecting the above so greatly! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 4:13, 19 (4:10-20) CARING: A MARK OF LOVE. “I can do all things in him
that strengthens me. 19 And my :God shall supply your every need according
to his :riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” *Only in Christ Jesus are we
overcomers, Father. Apart from Him, we can do nothing well-pleasing in Your
sight! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors!*

 *6. 4:21-22. SAINTHOOD: BASIS FOR SALUTATIONS. “Salute every saint in
Christ Jesus. The brethren :with me salute you. 22 All the saints salute
you, and specially they of the household of Caesar.” *Father, we are
brothers and sisters who highly regard one another in the Lord. We are one
body, and members in particular. Use this truth to unite us! *And bring us
not into temptation!*

 *7. 4:23. GRACE IN JESUS: BASIS FOR BENEDICTION. “The grace of the Lord
Jesus Christ be with your :spirit.” *Grace and truth, You give us in Jesus,
Father. Every good and perfect gift flows out of His Grace! *But deliver us
from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 4:4, 9. IMPORTANT CLOSING WORDS FROM PAUL. **“Rejoice in the Lord
always: again I will say, Rejoice. 9 What things you both learned and
received and heard and saw in me, these do: and the God of :peace shall be
:with you.” *Our conditions: Your promises, Father; we embrace *both* in
Jesus’ Name!

 *C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: “God is Angry” - *You have offended God and he is
angry. This is not my word: it is written here:- “He is angry with the
wicked every day. If he turn not, he will whet his sword. He has bent his
bow and made it ready.” You are in the hands of the God whom you have
offended.

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 80:3, 7, 19 (80, ESV) RESTORE US, O GOD. “Restore
us, O God; let your face shine, that we may be saved! 7 Restore us, O God
of hosts; let your face shine, that we may be saved. 19 Restore us, O LORD
of hosts! Let your face shine, that we may be saved! *Salvation comes from *
Your* initiative, Father! You are our Sovereign Lord, and work all things
after the counsel of Your own will. While we were yet sinners,
*Christ*died for us the ungodly!
*Hallowed be your :name!*

 *Title: *“To the Chief Musician upon Shoshannim-Eduth.” For the fourth
time we have a song upon Shoshannim, or the lilies; the former ones being
Psalms 45, 60 and 69. Why this title is given it would be difficult to say
in every case, but the delightfully poetical form of the present Psalm may
well justify the charming title. The Psalm is a testimony of the church as
a “lily among the thorns.”

 80:2. *Before Ephraim and Benjamin and Manasseh stir up Your strength, and
come and save us. *It is wise to mention the names of the Lord’s people in
prayer, for they are precious to Him. Jesus bears the names of His people
on His breast-plate. Just as the mention of the names of his children has
power with a father, so is it with the Lord.

 80:6. *And our enemies laugh among themselves. *They find mirth in our
misery, comedy in our tragedy, salt for their wit in the brine of our
tears, amusement in our amazement. It is devilish to sport with another’s
griefs; but it is the constant habit of the world which lies in the wicked
one to make merry with the saints’ tribulations; the seed of the serpent
follow their progenitor and rejoice in evil.

 80:17. *Let Your hand be upon the man of Your right hand, upon the Son of
man Whom You made strong for Yourself. *Nations rise or fall largely
through the instrumentality of individuals: by a Napoleon the kingdoms are
scourged, and by a Wellington nations are saved from the tyrant. It is by
the Man Christ Jesus that fallen Israel is yet to rise, and indeed through
Him, Who deigns to call Himself the Son of man, the world is to be
delivered from the domain of Satan and the curse of sin. O Lord, fulfill
Your promise to the Man of Your right hand, who participates in Your glory,
and give Him to see the pleasure of the Lord prospering in His hand.

 80:19. *Cause Your face to sine; and we shall be saved.* Even we who were
so destroyed. No extremity is too great for the power of God. He is able to
save at the last point, and that, too, by simply turning His smiling face
upon His afflicted. Men can do little with their arm, but God can do all
things with a glance. Oh, to live forever in the light of Jehovah’s
countenance. *(From “The Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by
D.O. Fuller)*