2 Corinthians 6-7 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 13:32:44 PST 2013

January 15, 2013

 *AUG 16 - 2 CORINTHIANS 6-7 - PAUL’S EXAMPLE*

 *1. 6:2 (6:1-10, NNT) EXAMPLE: OF GIVING NO OFFENSE. “For he says, At an
acceptable season I listened to you: lo, now is an acceptable season; lo,
now is a day of salvation.” *We live in Your day of grace, Father.
Righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit flows forth because of
Calvary. Whoever will may call upon You for this blessing! *Hallowed be
your :name!*

 *2. 6:11-12 (6:11-13) EXAMPLE: HIS EMOTIONAL LONGING. “Our mouth is open
unto you, Corinthians, our :heart enlarged. 12 You are not straitened in
us, but you are straitened in your :affections.” *How difficult and sad to
offer help to those unaware of their need! Father, we begin to experience
Your heart sorrow over a lost world. We would not add to Your sadness.
Rather, we joyfully and triumphantly proclaim Your way of Sovereign
Grace! *Your
:kingdom come!*

 *3. 6:14 (6:14-18) EXAMPLE: OF SEPARATION. “Be not unequally yoked with
unbelievers: for what fellowship have righteousness and iniquity? or what
communion has light with darkness? * How stubborn and unwise we so often
are, Father! O forgive us our blindness and rebellion! *Your :will be done,
As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 7:1 EXAMPLE: OF HOLINESS OF FLESH AND SPIRIT. “Having therefore these
:promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh
and spirit, perfecting holiness in fear of God.” *Not just our
*flesh*Father, but our
*spirit* too! We would present ourselves to You a living sacrifice: body,
soul and spirit, for continual cleansing until either our death or
resurrection! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 7:4 (7:2-4) EXAMPLE: OF BOLDNESS IN GLORYING. “Great my boldness
toward you, great my glorying on your behalf. Am filled with :comfort,
overflowed with :joy in all our :tribulation.” *Thank You Father, for such
a people in whom Paul could glory on Your behalf! Thank You for testing and
sorrow and suffering that drives us closer to You. How wise and
compassionate You are! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven
our :debtors!*

 *6. 7:10 (7:5-13a) EXAMPLE: OF SUFFERING. “For the sorrow, according to
God, works a regretless repentance unto salvation: but the sorrow of the
world works death.” *Blessed be You, O God and Father of our Lord Jesus
Christ, Who grants us the gift of repentance that leads to salvation! We
bless You for trials that lead to this gift. *And bring us not into
temptation.*

 *7. 7:14 (7:13b-16) EXAMPLE: OF COMMENDING FELLOW-WORKERS. “For if in
anything I have gloried to him on your behalf, I was not shamed; but as we
spoke all things to you in truth, so our glorying also before Titus came to
be in truth.” *How marvelous that the power of Your Gospel Father, works
such transformation in human lives! Our hearts are full of thanksgiving and
awe! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *Our Psalm for the day: 46:4-5, 10 (46, ESV) GOD IS OUR FORTRESS. “There
is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy habitation of
the Most High. 5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved; God
will help her when morning dawns.” *O Father, what grace and comfort we
find in Your Promises! We cling to and confess these marvelous words, and
though aware of problems, we do not focus upon them. *10 “Be still, and
know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted
in the earth.” *We would carry Your fear in our hearts, O Father! We would
truly know that Your Name is *Jealous*! *Burn* this truth upon our hearts!
You are such a *Great* God! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *Title: *“To the Chief Musician.” He who could sing other Psalms so well
was fitly entrusted with this noble ode. Trifles may be left to commoner
songsters, but the most skillful musicians in Israel must be charged with
the due performance of this song, with the most harmonious voices and
choicest music.

 *Subject: * “Happen what may, the Lord’s people are happy and secure; this
is the doctrine of the Psalm, and it might, to help our memories, be called
“The Son of Holy Confidence,” were it not that from the great Reformer’s
love this soul-stirring hymn it will probably be best remembered as
Luther’s Psalm. “We sing this Psalm to the praise of God because God is
with us and powerfully and miraculously preserves and defends His church
and His Word against all fanatical spirits, against the gates of hell,
against the implacable hatred of the devil, and against all the assaults of
the world, the flesh, and sin.” Martin Luther.

 46:1. *God is our refuge and strength. *Not our armies or our fortresses.
Israel’s boast is in Jehovah, the only living and true God. Others vaunt
their impregnable castles placed on inaccessible rocks and secured gates of
iron, but God is a far better refuge from distress than all these: and when
the time comes to carry the war into the enemy’s territories, the Lord
stands His people in better stead than all the valor of legions or the
boasted strength of chariot and horses. “He is my refuge and strength.” Do
not forget the fact that God is our refuge just now, in the immediate
present, as truly as when David penned the word. God alone is our all in
all. All other refuges are refuges of lies, all other strength is weakness,
for power belongs unto God: but as God is all-sufficient, our defense and
might are equal to all emergencies.

 46:4. *There is a river. *Divine grace like a smoothly flowing,
fertilizing, full and never-failing river, yields refreshment and
consolation to believers. *The streams thereof, *in their various
influences, for they are many, *shall make glad the city of God* by
assuring the citizens that Zion’s Lord will unfailingly supply all their
needs. The streams are not transient, like Cherith; nor muddy, like the
Nile; nor furious, like Kishon; nor treacherous, like Job’s deceitful
brooks; neither are their waters “naught” like those of Jericho - they are
clear, cool, fresh, abundant, and gladdening. The great fear of an Eastern
city in time of war was lest the water supply should be cut off during a
siege; if that were secured the city could hold out against attacks for an
indefinite period. In this verse, Jerusalem, which represents the church of
God, is described as well supplied with water, to set forth the fact that
in seasons of trial all-sufficient grace will be given to enable us to
endure unto the end.

 *The holy place of the tabernacles of the Most High.* To be a temple for
the Holy Spirit is the delightful portion of each saint; to be the living
temple for the Lord our God is also the high honor of the church in her
corporate capacity. We have not a great God in nature and a little God in
grace; no, the church contains as clear and convincing a revelation of God
as the works of nature, and even more amazing in the excellent glory which
shines between the cherubim overshadowing that mercy-seat which is the
center and gathering place of the people of the living God.

 46:5. *God shall help her, and that right early. *The Lord is up betimes.
We are slow to meet Him, but He is never tardy in helping us. Impatience
complains of divine delays, but in very deed the Lord is not slack
concerning His promise. Man’s haste is often folly, but God’s apparent
delays are ever wise, and, when rightly viewed, are no delays at all.

 46:6. *The heathen raged. *The nations were in a furious uproar; they
gathered against the city of the Lord like wolves ravenous for their pray;
they foamed and roared and swelled like a tempestuous sea.

 *The kingdoms were moved. *A general confusion seized upon society; the
fierce invaders convulsed their own dominions by draining the population to
urge on the war, and they desolated other territories by their devastating
march to Jerusalem. Crowns fell from royal heads, ancient thrones rocked
like trees driven of the tempest, powerful empires fell like pines uprooted
by the blast: everything was in disorder, and dismay seized on all who knew
not the Lord. *He uttered His voice, the earth melted. *How mighty is a
word from God! How mighty the Incarnate Word. Oh, that such a word would
come from the excellent glory even now to melt all hearts in love to Jesus
and to end forever all the persecutions, wars, and rebellions of men!

 46:8. *Come, behold the works of the Lord.* It were well if we also
carefully noted the providential dealings of our covenant God and were
quick to perceive His hand in the battles of His church. Whenever we read
history, it should be with this verse sounding in our ears. We should read
the newspaper in the same spirit, to see how the Head of the church rules
the nations for His people’s good, as Joseph governed Egypt for the sake of
Israel. *What desolations He has made in the earth.* The destroyers He
destroys, the desolaters He desolates. How forcible is the verse at this
date! The ruined cities of Assyria, Babylon, Petra, Bashan, Canaan, are our
instructors, sand in tables of stone record the doings of the Lord. In
every place where His cause and crown have been disregarded, ruin has
surely followed; sin has been a blight on nations and left their palaces to
lie in heaps.

 46:10. *Be still, and know that I am God. *Hold off your hands, you
enemies! Sit down and wait in patience, you believers! Acknowledge that
Jehovah is God, you who feel the terrors of His wrath! Adore Him, and Him
only, you who partake in the protections of His grace. Since none can
worthily proclaim His nature, let “expressive silence muse His praise.” The
boasts of the ungodly and the timorous forebodings of the saints should
certainly be hushed by a sight of what the Lord has done in past ages. *(From
“The Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*