2 Kings 11-17 - Outline - Israel's kings

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 10:24:09 PST 2012

November 4, 2012

 *JUN 22 - 2 KINGS 11-17 - ISRAEL’S FINAL KINGS, AND FALL*

 *1. 13:2 (13:1-9) JEHOAHAZ: TWELFTH KING OF ISRAEL. “He did what was evil
in the sight of the LORD and followed the sins of Jeroboam the son of
Nebat, which he made Israel to sin; he did not depart from them.” *Yet You
Father, showed mercy and reprieve unto this king when he called upon You in
his trouble. How merciful You are indeed, O Great Jehovah Father! We have *
great* confidence in You, and with all of our heart say, *Hallowed be your
:name!*

 *2. 13:19 (13:10-25) JEHOASH: THIRTEENTH KING OF ISRAEL. “Then the man of
God was angry with him and said, ‘You should have struck five or six times;
then you would have struck down Syria until you had made an end of it, but
now you will strike down Syria only three times.’” *At least this king had
respect for Your prophet Father, even though he lacked that sense of
violence for the sake of Your Kingdom! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 14:24 (14:23-29) JEROBOAM II: FOURTEENTH KING OF ISRAEL. “And he did
what was evil in the sight of the LORD. He did not depart from all the sins
of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, which he made Israel to sin.” *Even by a
wicked king You showed grace to Israel Father, for the sake of Your
covenant with David. Your word through Jonah was fulfilled! *Your :will be
done. As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 15:12 (15:8-15) ZACHARIAH AND SHALLUM: FIFTEENTH AND SIXTEENTH
KINGS. “(This
was the promise of the LORD that he gave to Jehu, ‘Your sons shall sit on
the throne of Israel to the fourth generation.’ And so it came to pass.)” *How
*faithful* You are to keep Your promises, Father! Our worthiness or
unworthiness has nothing to do with it. What grace! O forgive us the
hardness of our hearts that we so dimly perceive the magnitude of Your
mercy and grace! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 15:18 (15:16-26) MENAHEM AND PEKAHIAH: SEVENTEENTH AND EIGHTEENTH
KINGS OF ISRAEL. “And he did what was evil in the sight of the LORD. He did
not depart all his days from all the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat,
which he made Israel to sin.” *What a discouraging history to read! Sin,
judgment, violence, disobedience, rebellion: all these run like dark
threads through the tapestry of Israel’s history. We can reverse this in
our lives Father, as we trust Your strengthening to keep us in temptation's
hour! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 15:29 (15:27-31) PEKAH: NINETEENTH KING OF ISRAEL. “In the days of
Pekah king of Israel, Tiglath-pileser king of Assyria came and captured
Ijon, Abel-beth-maacah, Janoah, Kedesh, Hazor, Gilead, and Galilee, all the
land of Naphtali, and he carried the people captive to Assyria.” *Even with
the handwriting on the wall, Israel and her kings could not stop her
downward rush into judgment and captivity. Their understanding was blinded,
and You Father, no longer delivered them from the evil one! *And bring
usnot into temptation!
*

 *7. 17:6 (17) HOSHEA: TWENTIETH KING OF ISRAEL, AND CAPTIVITY! “In the
ninth year of Hoshea, the king of Assyria captured Samaria, and he carried
the Israelites away to Assyria and placed them in Halah, and on the Habor,
the river of Gozan, and in the cities of the Medes.” *Who was there to
mourn the tragedy and sin of Israel? Their little day had come and gone,
with scarce a ray of hope. Yet Father, You make the wrath of man to praise
You! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 17:15 (17) ISRAEL’S SIN. **“They despised his statutes and his
covenant that he made with their fathers and the warnings that he gave
them. They went after false idols and became false, and they followed the
nations that were around them, concerning whom the LORD had commanded them
that they should not do like them.” *May we profit from Your summary,
Father!

 There is not much good to see in examining the history of the separated 10
tribes of Israel. Not *one* good king in the line! So corrupt that God
allowed them to be taken into captivity by Assyria 133 years prior to Judah!

 And it all started with Jeroboam, who forsook the Feasts and priests of
the LORD, and with the two idol calves - started Israel on its downward
plunge.

 Read again 2 Kings 17:5 at the beginning of this NOTE. Here God summarizes
this sad decline.

 And yet - for the sake of God’s covenant with David - He promises that in
the Millennium, the 12 apostles of the Lamb will have rule over the 12
tribes of united Israel! God is faithful. He and His Word are *one*! What
He has declared will with certainty come to pass!

 Like Billy Graham - let us by an act of the “obedience of faith” - take
this prophetic word *by faith* - and with confidence look forward to its
final fulfillment.

 *Our chapter from Proverbs for the day: 22:22-23 (22) PROVERBS OF SOLOMON.
“Do not rob the poor, because he is poor, or crush the afflicted at the
gate, 23 for the LORD will plead their cause and rob of life those who rob
them.” *This is good counsel for a son or daughter: it touches *close* to
Your heart, Father. O may it be worked deep into each of our hearts, that
we might *Hallow your :name!*