2 Samuel 11-12 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 12:43:00 PDT 2012

October 5, 2012

 *JUN 1 - 2 SAMUEL 11-12 - DAVID’S LAPSE*

 *1. 11:1 (11:1-5, ESV) DAVID: SINS BECAUSE OF INACTIVITY. “In the spring
of the year, the time when kings go out to battle, David sent Joab, and his
servants with him, and all Israel. And they ravaged the Ammonites and
besieged Rabbah. But David remained in Jerusalem.” *This was a foolish and
unpardonable sin on David’s part, and would not have happened had David
been on the battlefield where he belonged. He violated a Kingdom principle.
*Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 11:14-15 (11:6-25) DAVID: SEEKS TO COVER HIS SIN. “In the morning
David wrote a letter to Joab and sent it by the hand of Uriah. 15 In the
letter he wrote, ‘Set Uriah in the forefront of the hardest fighting, and
then draw back from him, that he may be struck down and die.” *David now
commits a more dastardly sin to cover the first sin. This scarcely reads
like the David we know. Father, remind us to pray for grace to walk in
Kingdom principles. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 11:27 (11:26-27) DAVID: DISPLEASES THE LORD THROUH HIS SIN. “And when
the mourning was over, David sent and brought her to his house, and she
became his wife and bore him a son. But the thing that David had done
displeased the LORD.” *It looks like David got off scot-free: but *not*with
*You*, Father! Your Name was hurt by this. *Your :will be done, As in
heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 12:13-14 (12:1-14) DAVID’S REPENTANCE. “David said to Nathan, ‘I have
sinned against the LORD.’ And Nathan said to David, ‘The LORD also has put
away your sin; you shall not die. 14 Nevertheless, because of this deed you
have utterly scorned the LORD, the child who is born to you shall die.’” *What
a serious judgment! From now on a cloud was over the life of David. O
forgive us Father, that we take sin so lightly! We thank You for Your love
that will not let us go, but chastises us as sons! *Our :daily :bread Give
us this day.*

 *5. 12:15-16 (12:15-23) DAVID’S REAPING BECAUSE OF SIN. “And the LORD
afflicted the child that Uriah’s wife bore to David, and he became
sick. 16 David
therefore sought God on behalf of the child. And David fasted and went in
and lay all night on the ground.” *It was *You*, O Great Jehovah Father Who
struck this child! It had to be done to clear Your Name, upon which Your
servant had brought blasphemy from Your enemies. *And forgive us our
:debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 12:24 (12:24-25) DAVID: FATHERS SOLOMON THROUGH BATHSHEBA. “The David
comforted his wife, Bathsheba, and went in to her and lay with her, and she
bore a son, and he called his name Solomon. And the LORD loved him.” *What
a curious statement: You, Jehovah Father, loved Solomon, the fruit of a match
that ought not to have been! *This* is Your grace! *And bring us not into
temptation.*

 *7. 12:29 (12:26-31) DAVID: CONCLUDES AMMONITE WAR IN VICTORY. “So David
gathered all the people together and went to Rabbah and fought against it
and took it.” *This is what David ought to have done from the beginning,
and it looks at this point that David has again got off free: but not so! *But
deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 12:23 (12:24-25) DAVID: ACCEPTS GOD’S JUDGMENT OF DEATH FOR HIS
SON! **“But now he is dead. Why should I fast? Can I bring him back again?
I shall go to him, but he will not return to me.” *In this David submitted
to You, Father. We too should always follow this example that flows out of
a Romans 6 experience.

 So what more can we learn from this lesson on David? For me, I see two
insights coming from David’s lapse and sin. Number one - it is dangerous to
become inactive, when he should have been out with his men on the
battle-field. Idle hands find evil deeds to do!

 But for us - the opposite - if not correctly directed, can also cause us
to miss God. An over-active life for God in doing good works - can keep us
from *intimacy* with God, where we become one with Him, and develop Christ
in us to maturity, where He can *through us* fulfill the Sermon on the
Mount, and bring forth *His Heredity* within us, in character that affects
individuals in the world with conviction and salvation.

 The above reveals two ditches - and Satan would have us fall into either
one. It’s the *balance* that ensures the pleasure of God in our lives.

 But the immediate repentance of David over his sin - when confronted -
reveals him as a man after God’s own heart. For us - this patter will do *the
same* for us, for God is no respecter of persons. We too can become people
after God’s own heart!

 How often should we repent? *Each time* when we sin, like David!

 There are many more lessons in the above. As we search them out together,
and *walk in them*, God’s smile will be upon us!

 *Our Chapter of Proverbs for the Day: 1:4-5 THE BEGINNING OF KNOWLEDGE. “To
give prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth - 5 Let
the wise hear and increase in learning and the one who understands obtain
guidance.” **This* is the design of the Book of Proverbs from Your point of
view, Father. We receive these words as You intended, that by them we may
develop the gift of friendship and the circle of Covenant love with You,
and with our fellow man. *Hallowed be your :name!*