2 Peter 2 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 08:42:13 PDT 2012

September 20, 2012

*MAY 20 - 2 PETER 2 - THE FALSE TEACHERS*

 *1. 2:1 (2:1-3) PROPHECY OF FALSE TEACHERS. “But false prophets arose also
among the people, as among you also shall be false teachers, who shall
privately bring in destructive heresies, denying even the Master that
bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction” (NNT). *You have
warned us Father, that *false teachers* of the Gospel shall be in the
Church in the last days. They are here today. But we will embrace the
Gospel of the Kingdom of God and say - “Your Kingdom come! *Hallowed be
your :name.*

 *2. 2:9-10a (2:4-10a) EXAMPLES OF GOD’S JUDGMENT. “The Lord knows how to
deliver the godly out of temptation, and to keep the unrighteous under
punishment unto a day of judgment 10a but chiefly them that go after flesh
in lust of defilement, and despise lordship.” *Who would have guessed 50
years ago that there would be “gay” churches today? What a travesty of the
Gospel! What delusion and deception! God and we *love* sinners, but hate
their sin. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 2:10b-11. PRESUMPTION BEYOND ANGELS. “Darers, self-willed, they
tremble not at dignities, railing; 11 whereas angels, being greater in
might and power, bring not railing judgment against them before the
Lord.” *Does
this spirit exist in the church among certain ones today? Do we find such
“weeds”? Yes Father, You clearly foretold the last days! *Your :will be
done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 2:12 (2:12-16) LICENTIOUS AND LAWLESS LIKE BALAAM. “But these, as
creatures without reason, born mere animals for capture and corruption,
railing in matters of which they are ignorant, shall in their corruption
also be corrupted.” *Judgment is today beginning at the church, the house
of God. Exposure of sin in the church in high places is not taking place.
We bless You Father, for faithfully giving us warning in these matters. *Our
:daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 2:17 WELLS WITHOUT WATER. “These are waterless springs, and mists
driven by a storm; for whom the blackness of the darkness has been
reserved.” *What a terrible end for false teachers within the church! These
weeds in the Kingdom will be gathered into bundles in the end, and burned.
Our God is a consuming fire! It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands
of the living God! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our
:debtors.*

 *6. 2:18-19 FALSE ALLUREMENT. “For, uttering great swellings of vanity,
they entice in lusts of the flesh by lasciviousness those who are just
escaping from them that life in error: 19 promising them liberty, while
themselves are bondmen of :corruption; for of whom a man is worsted of the
same is he also enslaved.” *There is today hypocrisy in some leaders in the
church in high places. Glitzy entertainment has often replaced the fear of
the Lord. But great conviction of sin is about to return to the church. *And
bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 2:20 (2:20-22) RETURNING TO POLLUTION. “For if, after they have
escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and
Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in it and are worsted,
theirlast are become worse with them than the first.”
*This is a sober word! Your Spirit Father, will *not* always strive with
man! Write these words on our heart. Strike Your fear into our souls. *But
deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: **2:21 (2:20-22) FOLLOW THROUGH - OR DON’T START! “Better were
for them not to have known the way of :righteousness, than, after knowing it,
to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them.” *What
application would you make of this?

 God does *not* want us to be naïve in the church. All that glitters - is *
not* gold! All who teach in the church - do *not* have God’s approval. The
Holy Spirit through Paul exhorts us to “Despise not prophesyings; but prove
*all* things; hold fast what is good” (1 Thessalonians 5:19b-20).

 Many people in the church are *too gullible* concerning prophecies.
Thenthe other extreme is that all prophecy is reject
ed. It is difficult to avoid both extremes, and walk in balance - but
*this*is what God calls each one of us to
do! Too many dreams and prophecies in the church do *not* meet the above
test. See 1 Corinthians 14:29. In every service where prophecy is permitted
- *this* is the rule. Stop the service after 2-3 prophecies, and give
opportunity for them to be *discerned* (di-aKRIn*o*), which means to
*thoroughly
judge* according to the Word, *and* whether they witness with the
*Spirit*of God. It is a
*double* test that is asked for. So many prophecies are like some choruses
- little or no Word content, and of another spirit that the Holy Spirit:
either a *fleshly* spirit - or even a demonic spirit. The first prophecy I
heard as a new believer in 1944 was of an evil spirit. There are 3 sources
for all prophecies and dreams. We are to reject the latter two - and hold
only to the former - of the Holy Spirit.

 Pastor Ern Baxter at Surrey Christian Centre, B.C. in the 60’s and 70’s - *
always* practiced the above. A missionary brother from New Zealand had
never witnessed such before - and was greatly blessed and encouraged
bythis demonstration.

 A pastor in a Tacoma church followed the same practice. In the latter part
of last century my wife and I brought a Canadian leader to one of their
services. A man in the balcony in the same pew in which we were seated gave
a prophecy *not* of the Holy Spirit. We watched the pastor to see what he
would do. He had 4 or 5 elders on the platform with him. He checked each
one for his discernment. When the friend finished his prophecy, the pastor
addressed the congregation of some 600 people. “Church - the elders and I
do not receive this prophecy as from the Lord. If the brother would like to
meet with us after the service and check our discernment, we would be happy
to share with him. Now church - let’s go on with our worship service!” Our
Canadian leader friend was greatly edified and encouraged by this
demonstration of maturity and Word and Spirit conformity

 The church of Ephesus in Revelation 2 was commended by Jesus for testing
self-proclaimed apostles, and rejecting those that did not meet this double
test. *This* is what Peter is recommending in this chapter of his 2ndepistle.

 Application? If you attend a church that does *not* test for prophecies
and false teachers - then by all means *leave*, and find a church which *
does*! And definitely - do *not* allow anyone to lay hands on you
promiscuously in a home meeting - not under church auspices! Jim Watt

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 140:6-7 DELIVER ME, O LORD, FROM EVIL MEN. “I say
to the LORD You are my God; give ear to the voice of my pleas for mercy, O
LORD! 7 O LORD, my Lord, the strength of my salvation, you have covered my
head in the day of battle.” *Here is David casting his care upon You, O
Great Jehovah Father, knowing that You care for him. You preserve us also
from all our enemies. *Hallowed be your :name!*