1 Peter 4:12-5:18 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 13:52:40 PDT 2012

September 14, 2012

 *May 18 - 1 PETER 4:12-5:18 - THE FIERY TRIAL*

 *1. 4:12-13 (4:12-19) INSIGHTS ON FIERY SUFFERING. “Beloved, think not
strange the fiery trial among you, which comes upon you to prove you, as
though anything strange happened to you: 13 but inasmuch as you are
partakers of the sufferings of :Christ, rejoice; that at the revelation of
his :glory also you many rejoice with exceeding joy” (NNT). *You sent *Jesus
* Father, as a burning, flaming fire to dwell in the hearts of Your people!
*Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 5:1 (5:1-4) A WORD FOR ELDERS. “The elders therefore among you I
exhort, the fellow-elder, and witness of the sufferings of the Christ, who
am also partaker of the glory to be revealed.” *Elders suffer and witness
to the suffering of Christ. This is Your will for us too, Father.

*Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 5:5 A WORD FOR YOUTH. “Likewise, you younger, be subject to elders.
Yes, all gird yourselves with :humility toward one another: for :God
resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” *Is this not the Spirit
of Jesus in Isaiah 53? Was this not His Spirit prior to and during His
crucifixion? Will He not live out this Spirit in us if we walk in Galatians
2:20? Father, let it be so! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 5:6-7 (5:6-9) OUR PART: HUMILITY AND VIGILANCE. “Humble yourselves
therefore under the mighty hand of :God, that he might exalt you in season; 7
casting all your :anxiety upon him, because he cares for you.” *This is a
secret of the obedience of faith. How contrary this is to human nature and
flesh! O forgive us Father, for substituting another gospel of ease and
self-gratification, and cease to follow the way of Jesus and His apostles! *Our
:daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 5:10 (5:10-11) GOD’S PART: OUR ESTABLISHMENT. “And the God of all
grace, who called you unto his eternal :glory in Christ, after you have
suffered a little, shall himself perfect, establish, strengthen you.” *Joy
comes in the morning. Only through the dark night of the soul, the night of
suffering, do we learn obedience, and come into union and communion with
You, Father. O be with us when we are tempted to depart from these
principles! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our
:debtors.*

 *6. 5:12 (5:12-14a) AFFIRMATION OF TRUTH. “By Silvanus, as I account him, the
faithful brother to you I have written briefly, exhorting, and testifying
that this is the true grace of :God: stand in it.” *This epistle outlines
the true grace of God in which we stand. Beware of the Galatian error of
another gospel of the siren call. In the Gospel of the Kingdom of God do
You deliver us from the evil one, Father! *And lead us not into temptation.*

 *7. 5:14b. BENEDICTION OF PEACE. “Peace to you all those in Christ.” *There
is a false peace in the world and church today. Tares and wheat *both* are
in the Kingdom unto the end. We would not be deceived nor deluded, but wise
in these things, Father! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 4:14 (4:12-19) THE BLESSING OF BEING REPROACHED! **“If you are
reproached in Christ’s name, blessed you; because the Spirit of :glory and
:of :God rests upon you.” *Suffering in Jesus’ Name in meekness and
lowliness, is well-pleasing in Your sight, Father! How contrary to the
world and carnal Christianity!

 There are extremely helpful and practical lessons for us in this portion.
Under #1, I recount a Word of the Spirit that came to me in Saskatoon,
Saskatchewan in the Fall of 1945. As a new believer, not knowing the
Scriptures too well, I felt the the Spirit was quickening a Scripture to
me. I had the students and faculty of a Bible College searching with me to
find it. Of course, it wasn’t there. It is an entirely Scriptural Word of
the Spirit, even though not a direct quotation. It accords with Galatians
2:20. J. Hudson Taylor, founder of the China Inland Mission, put it this
way: “The Lord Jesus received is holiness begun; the Lord Jesus cherished
is holiness advancing; *the Lord Jesus counted upon as never absent* would
be *holiness complete*.... He is most holy who has *most of Christ* within,
and *joys most fully* in *the finished work*!”

 “Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret” came into my hands in 1946 while
attending St. Andrews College in Saskatoon. It *still* challenges me, plus
the word of the Spirit that came to me early that morning in 1945. Oswald
Chambers stated the same truth as “My Utmost for His Highest”; and
“Personal, passionate devotion to Jesus.”

 However it comes, *do not rest* until the above truth is an integral part
of your life. This is truly passing through the Outer Court of the
Tabernacle of Moses, into the Holy Place; but then *not resting* till
through the *riven veil* you enter the “Most Holy Place”. *There*,
communing with God above the Mercy Seat, and having the Christ of the Ark
of the Covenant abiding within as in John 15:1-16 - you will have the goal
of God for each one of us - achieved!

 Perfect holiness? No - *but well on the way*, and awaiting the blessed
Hope of the soon return of our Lord Jesus to effect our body Resurrection.
Then the Marriage Supper of the Lamb can begin!

 Another lesson in this passage comes out of Peter referring himself as a *
fellow-elder* - not as an apostle. Was he an apostle? Assuredly! But in his
humility, he points out that the 5-fold ministries of Ephesians 4:11-12 -
sets all 5 of these ministries as fellow-elders first! It concerns me when
I hear individuals pointing out their office prior to this word from Peter.
See also Paul in a number of his epistles: he sets himself *first* as a
bond-slave (DOUlos), and *then* as called to be an apostle. Peter and Paul
are alike in humility concerning this. Would to God all of us who are
elders, would place DOUlos and fellow-elder ahead of office designation.
J.A.Watt

 Our Psalm for the day: *138:8 GIVE THANKS TO THE LORD. “The LORD will
fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love (CHEsed), O LORD, endures
forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands” (ESV). *Our confidence is
in *You*, Father. Our trust is *not* misplaced. We rest in Your love and
care, knowing that You deliver us from all of our enemies. *Hallowed be
your :name!*