Judges 10-12 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 08:59:56 PDT 2012

August 30, 2012

 *MAY 5 - JUDGES 10-12 - JEPHTHAH AND AMMONITES*

 *1. 10:1-3 (10:1-5) TOLA AND JAIR. “After Abimelech there arose to save
Israel Tola, the son of Puah, son of Dodo, a man of Issachar, and he lived
at Shamir in the hill country of Ephraim. 2 And he judged Israel
twenty-three years. Then he died and was buried at Shamir. 3a After him
arose Jair the Gileadite, who judged Israel twenty-two years” (ESV). *Men
of Issachar were men of wisdom who had understanding of the times, to know
what Israel ought to do (1 CHR 12:32). What a blessing after Abimelech!
This is *Your* wisdom, Father! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 10:15-16 (10:6-18) AMMONITE OPPRESSION. “And the people of Israel said
to the LORD, ‘We have sinned; do to us whatever seems good to you. Only
please deliver us this day.’ 16 So they put away the foreign gods from
among them and served the LORD, and he became impatient over the misery of
Israel.” *Here we are back to repentance following judgment. How slow
Israel was to learn. But are we as New Covenant believers that faster?
Forgive us, Father! *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 11:1 (11:1-3) JEPHTHAH: HIS MISTREATMENT. “Now Jephthah the Gileadite
was a mighty warrior, but he was the son of a prostitute. Gilead was the
father of Jephthah.” *Jephthah, the firstborn of Gilead, was disinherited
by his younger brothers, Gilead’s legal sons. No doubt this “Robin-hood”
was bitter over this. David was forced to live a similar life because of
Saul. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 11:29 (11:4-29) JEPHTHAH: CHOSEN TO LEAD ISRAEL. “Then the Spirit of
the LORD was upon Jephthah, and he passed through Gilead and Manasseh and
passed on to Mizpah of Gilead, and from Mizpah of Gilead he passed on to
the Ammonites.” *You Father, confirmed Israel’s choice of Jephthah by the
anointing (ISA 10:27)! The yoke of the Ammonite was surely broken in this
way! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 11:32 (11:30-40) FOOLISH VOW FOR VICTORY. “So Jephthah crossed over to
the Ammonites to fight against them, and the LORD gave them into his hand.”
*Victory: but at what great and unnecessary cost! Here the traditions of
the heathen had infiltrated Israel, even as the world has infiltrated the
church. O forgive us for our lack of watchfulness and care, Father. *And
forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 12:6 (12:1-7) JEPHTHAH: CIVIL STRIFE WITH EPHRAIM. “They said to him,
‘Then say Shibboleth,’ and he said, ‘Sibboleth,’ for he could not pronounce
it right. Then they seized him and slaughtered him at the fords of the
Jordan. At that time 42,000 of the Ephraimites fell.” *Civil war always
leaves great bitterness. Gideon showed a cooler spirit that Jephthah in a
parallel situation. *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 12:11 (12:8-15) IBZAN, ELON AND ABDON. “After Ibzan (great fatigue)
Elon (Magnificent oak) the Zebulunite judged Israel, and he judged Israel
ten years. *What versatility exits among the leaders You choose to lead and
judge Your people, Father! We are unable to premeditate Your ways of wisdom
and acts of power, Most Sovereign Lord! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 10:3 (10:1-5) JAIR: A GILEADITE. **“After him arose Jair (He will
enlighten) the Gileadite, who judged Israel twenty-two years.”* Elijah and
Jephthah along with Jair were all Gileadites, restorers of inheritance
through enlightenment. They truly had the spirit of God: lion-hearted, hard
as diamonds! You blessed Israel through them, Father!

 The Bible is very clear concerning promiscuous oaths, such as made by
Jephthah. We need to be *very careful* concerning our words, promises and
oaths. As a matter of fact - Jesus in the the New Covenant warns believers *not
to make oaths* - but rather to let our words be Yes, yes - and No, no!

 Simplicity in our our words is the key for the New Testament. And -
simplicity in our usage of Bible words, for both Old and New Testaments. We
can overdo and overuse the use of numbers and letters (numerology and
alphabetology). We do not find Jesus or any of his 8 NT apostles making use
of these devices in their NT interpretations.

 Then why is it that today so many tend to make such strong use of these
features? I believe it is because we have left the simplicity of the Word
of God. To meditate over the simple word of God like George Muller and
George Whitefield produces extraordinary fruitfulness. But we become like
the Israelites of old concerning “manna”! Who said - “Our soul
*loathes*this white stuff - this manna. We want meat and garlic like
we had in
Egypt. Angel food not good enough for Israel? Apparently not! But see how
God in anger gave them so much meat that their soul desired - that they
died of food poisoning.

 The spirit of extra-scriptural Bible interpretation abounds in the church
today. When I departed from this spirit in 1949, I overhead them saying -
“He has left “This Revival”. He has reverted to the “Old Order”!

 I receive this as a compliment! If one holds to the *simplicity* of the
Word - to what the 8 NT apostles wrote and taught - to the angel-food of
manna - then I believe we have the blessing of God upon us. To depart from
this is “New Order” - but just as it did not please God when Israel
despised His Manna - neither - I believe - is God that pleased with
unproven and untested prophecies and interpretations.

 K.I.S.S. - Keep It *Simple*, Sweetie! *This* is my watchword, as we
meditate over God’s “Outlined Interlinear New Testament,” based on the
Bible Numeric discovery of Ivan Panin in 1890. I believe that

*here* we will be in the center of what pleases the heart of God.