Beatitudes - Outline + Word Studies

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 12:03:55 PDT 2012

August 16, 2012

 *MATTHEW 5:1-16 - KINGDOM MATURITY *

 *1. 5:3. “Blessed the poor in :spirit, for THEIRS is the kingdom of the
heavens.” *Father, we take this first step of *humility* for ourselves and
our fellowman. No good thing dwells in us. Your Christ in us is our only
goodness.

 *2. 5:4. “Blessed they that mourn, for THEY shall be comforted.” *Father,
we take our second step into Your Kingdom. We come, willing to be converted
as a little child. We *mourn* our pride, intellectuality, unbelief,
fearfulness. We say, Lord we believe; help our unbelief!

 *3. 5:5. “Blessed the meek, for THEY shall inherit the earth.” *Father,
all our strength, ambition, drive, aggression: we put under *Your* control!
*Renew You* our minds! *We* deny *ourselves*, take up *our cross*, and
follow *You*!

 *4. 5:6. “Blessed they that hunger and thirst after :righteousness, for
THEY shall be filled.” *And now Father, we see the way to have all our
needs met: body, soul and spirit. We will seek *first* Your *Kingdom* and *
Your* righteousness. *Then* our spirits will especially have their needs
met from Your Throne.

 *5. 5:7. “Blessed are the merciful, for THEY shall obtain mercy.” *Ah,
Jehovah God: we cannot expect *forgiveness from You* except we grant
*forgiveness
to our fellowman*, even to our enemy! So Father, we take this fifth and
most difficult step. Only by Matthew 18:15-17 will we handle our
interpersonal problems.

 *6. 5:8. “Blessed the pure in :heart, for THEY shall see :God.” *O God our
Father, we tremble at this sixth step in *Your fear*! This is the last step
before You can bring *many sons* into *Glory*! We yield to this step. We
thank you for John Wesley, and his gift from You to lead many into this
beatitude.

 *7. 5:9. “Blessed the peace-doers, for THEY shall be called sons of God.” *But
now, O Father, in this *seventh* step we step into *sonship*! Now at last
we are *strong*, the *word of God abides in us*, and we *have overcome* the
evil one! Yes Lord, through this step, You deliver us from him.

 *8. 5:10. “Blessed they that have been persecuted for righteousness sake,
for THEIRS is the kingdom of the heavens.” *Now Father, You lead us into
even greater maturity, even into fatherhood in Christ. We identify
ourselves with Your Righteousness in Christ. We proclaim Your Glory in Him.

 *9. 5:11-12. “Blessed are you when men shall reproach you and persecute,
and say all manner of evil against you falsely for my sake. 12 Rejoice, and
be exceeding glad, for great is your :reward in the heavens: for so
persecuted they the prophets :before you.” *But not just for identification
with Your Righteousness, but even with *You Yourself* we identify
ourselves, Father. Lord *Jesus*, lift us even into spiritual grand-parenthood
in God!

 *NOTE**: There are key words in each of the above Beatitudes. From them we
can glean added help for us as Overcomers. By the grace of God, may it be
so.*

 *1. POOR. ptoCHOS* - 34 (38) references*

*- This is the first of the 8 Beatitudes that Jesus gave as His initial
teaching in the Sermon on the Mount. And - it is poor in spirit. This is
the door we must all enter, to receive the 8-fold promises and blessings.
Until we sense that in our inmost man - our spirit - we are nothing - and
have nothing - the rest of this series is not open to us. Paul said it in
Romans 7:18, “For I know that in me, that is, in my :flesh, dwells no
good.”This wasn’t the spirit of Paul prior to his conversion! And in
Philippians
3:3 he pressed this thought home: “For we are the circumcision, who worship
by God’s Spirit, and glory in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in flesh.”
No confidence in the flesh! Poor in spirit. Now therefore a candidate for
the potential blessings to follow!*

 *2. MOURN. penTHEo from PENthos* - 10 (15) references*

*- Once we have attained a true position and realization of our complete
poverty in ourselves - then we enter into a state of double mourning: first
for ourselves that God will work the comfort of 2 Corinthians into us; and
then on behalf of fellow believers - that we might then be enabled to pass
God’s comfort unto them. And also for our fellow human beings - that we
might so effectively pass on to them the wonders of the Gospel in Jesus -
that those foreknown in God and appointed to eternal life - may then
respond - and like us enter into the unlimited comfort of God!*

 *3. MEEK. PRAUS* - 3 (16) references*

*- True meekness is a rare attribute. Moses had it above all other men! It
has been defined by some as, “Strength under control!” Only once did it
slip out of control with Moses - but that kept him from entering the
Promised Land! Walk in the Spirit - and we will not succumb to the lusts of
the flesh. Think of the wonders of the recreated earth following the return
of Christ - that the meek will inherit the earth!*

 *4. HUNGER. peiNAo from PEIna - 23 (24) references - + diPSAo from DIpsa -
16 (17) references*

*- Hunger and thirst are two of the strongest human desires. Babies start
out this way, and it continues to death. But to move up to
spiritualhungering and thirsting for our spirit and soul - is a far
higher
attribute! And for those entering in and experiencing this, the promise of
filling is great indeed. Blessed indeed are they who graduate from the
natural to the spiritual hungering and thirsting!*

 *5. MERCIFUL. e-leEmon from Ele-os - 2 (78) references *

*- Jesus and His Father are leading exponents for the example of mercy. God
prefers mercy to sacrifice. The fact that He desires this as one of the Key
Beatitudes to be manifested in our lives - speaks volumes! God’s consistent
blessing is upon the Merciful. And this attribute opens the door for us to
receive God’s mercy.*

 *6. PURE. ka-thaROI from AIro* - 28 (239) references*

*- Clean is a synonym to pure. A pure heart in the sight of God is a prized
possession. David was a man after God’s own heart, because he kept his
heart pure. Was he perfect? Not at all. But when he sinned and was
confronted, he always immediately repented, confessed his sin, and found
his fellowship with God restored! And the promises for such? They shall see
God! Moses desired to see the glory of God above all else. The pure in
heart can join Moses and David in this extraordinary blessing!*

 *7. PEACE-DOERS. ei-re-no-poiEo from eREo* - 1 (4076) references*

*- Colossians 1:20 describes Jesus as the greatest of all peace-makers. He
made peace between us and the Father on the basis of the blood of His
Cross! No human being from the earth can emulate such an act! Only the Son
of God from heaven becoming man - could do such a thing. But - with His
Spirit indwelling and controlling us, He through us as members of His body
the Church - can use us as His peace-makers! And - as we allow Him to do so
through us - then we rise to the status of being called by God - sons of
God! What a privilege!*

 *8. PERSECUTED. de-di-ogMEnoi from diOko* - 44 (58) references*

*- Suffering persecution down here - is one of the clearest signs that we
truly belong to God. Count it all joy when we fall into testings and
persecutions - for such develops patience in our lives! It did for Job! And
because God is no respecter of persons - it will do the same for you and
me! And - such persecution is based on righteous living on our part. Satan
and the world hates pure and holy lives. But God promises His blessing upon
us for such!*

 *9. REPROACHED. o-neiDIzo from Onei-dos - 10 (16) references*

*- REJOICE. CHAIro* - 32 (401) references*

*- BE EXCEEDING GLAD. a-gal-liAo* - 11 (16) references*

*- For me, this is one of the highest commendations that God can give any
of us down here as sons of men! This is beyond being persecuted for
righteousness sake. This is being persecuted because we are so linked with
God’s Only-begotten Son Jesus - that the world sees us in this close
identification! There is a deep reproach rising in the world against us for
this identification. So when we are reviled, upbraided and reproached
because of our identification with Jesus - this is the highest pleasure
that can bring our God! 3 times God audibly commended His Son during His 33
years on earth. He may not audibly commend us for our identification with
His Son that leads to reproach - but He takes full knowledge of it, and has
pleasure in us for it. Two things He tells us to do when this happens.
Rejoice! This kind of rejoicing leads to the full manifestation of the
grace of God - both from our Lord Himself - and also from us as He indwells
us and lives out His life through us. But for me, the word to greatly
rejoice (a-gal-liAo*), portrays something even deeper! It comes from being
identified with Jesus to the extent that it leads for us to be persecuted.
Be exceedingly glad, leap for joy with gladness - is all part of this verb!
Prophets before us were persecuted for their identification with God! And
God says great is your reward in the heavens! Jesus Himself when He saw
that His Father hid the mysteries of the Gospel from the wise and prudent
of His day - and revealed them unto babes - His disciples - He - Jesus -
manifested this exceeding joy before His Father! Consider this! Meditate
upon it! Let it possess us!*

 *I personally find that by using Panin’s Bible Numeric “Outlined
Interlinear NT”, passages such as the above come yet more alive! It is now
available through <www.BTJohnsonPublishing.com>. Numbers are making use of
it. Just as God through Daniel used a heathen King Cyrus to restore Israel
to her land and rebuild her Temple after 70 years - so 70 years after the
death of Panin, God has used Timothy Johnson to print, publish and
distribute God’s “Outlined Interlinear NT”!*