Galatians 3:1-22 - Interlinear

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 09:29:14 PDT 2012

June 14, 2012

 *(From: GALATIANS #3 - 3:1-22)*

 D. 3:1-6 A DEFENSE FOR THE DOCTRINE OF JUSTIFICATION BY FAITH ALONE

a. 3:1 DECEPTION LEADS US FROM BASIS OF CHRIST'S DEATH

*O foolish Galatians, who bewitched you,*

*O* aNO*e*-toi [453] GaLAtai, tis huMAS eBASka-nen,

*before whose eyes Jesus Christ was openly set forth crucified?*

hois kat' oph-thalMOUS I*e*SOUS ChrisTOS pro-eGRAph*e* [3788] es-tau-r*o*MEnos
[4717]?

 b. 3:2 THE GIFT OF THE SPIRIT: ON BASIS OF FAITH, NOT WORKS OF LAW

*This only would I learn from you,*

TOUto MOnon THEl*o* maTHEIN [3129] aph' huM*O*N,

*Did you receive the Spirit from works of law, or from hearing of faith?*

ex ERg*o*n NOmou to PNEUma eLAbete, *e* ex a-ko*E*S [189] PISte-*o*s [4102]?

 c. 3:3* Are you so foolish? having begun in Spirit, are you now perfected
in flesh?*

HOUt*o*s aNO*e*TOI [453] es-te? e-narXAme-noi [1728] PNEUma-ti, nun sarKI
e-pi-teLEISthe [2006]?

 d. 3:4* Did you suffer so many things in vain? if indeed in vain.*

toSAUta ePAthe-te [3958] eiK*E* [1500]? ei ge kai eiK*E*.

 e. 3:5 MIRACLES ARE WROUGHT BY FAITH, NOT BY WORKS

*Who therefore supplies you the Spirit, and works miracles among you,*

ho oun e-pi-cho-r*e*G*O*N [2023] huMIN to PNEUma, kai e-nerG*O*N [1754]duNAmeis
[1411] en huMIN,

*is it **from works of law, or from **the** hearing of faith?*

ex ERg*o*n NOmou, *e* ex a-ko*E*S [180] PISte-*o*s [4102]?

 f. 3:6* Even as Abraham believed :God, and it was reckoned to him for
righteousness.*

kaTH*O*S A-braAM ePIsteu-sen t*o* The*O*, kai e-loGISth*e* [3049]
auT*O*eis di-kai-oSUn
*e*n [1343].

 E. 3:7-22 BLESSING OF FAITH AND PURPOSE OF LAW HARMONIZED

1. 3:7-9 FAITH: THE BASIS OF SPIRITUAL SONSHIP WITH ABRAHAM

a. 3:7* Know then that who are from faith, these are sons of Abraham.*

GiN*O*Ske-te [1097] Ara HOti hoi ek PIS-te-*o*s, HOU-TOI huiOI ei-sin
A-braAM.

 b. 3:8 GOD FORESAW GENTILES IN THE CHURCH BY FAITH

*And the scripture, foreseeing that :God justifies the nations by faith,*

pro-iDOUsa [4275] de h*e* graPH*E* HOti ek PISte-*o*s di-kaiOI [1344] ta
ETHn*e* [1484] ho TheOS,

*preached the gospel afore to Abraham, saying, [that] In you shall all the
nations be blessed.*

pro-eu-*e*g-geLIsa-to t*o* A-braAM, [HOti] E-neu-lo-g*e*TH*E*son-tai
[1757]en soi PANta ta ETHn
*e*.

 c. 3:9* So then who are from faith are blessed with the faithful Abraham.*

H*O*Ste hoi ek PISte-*o*s eu-loGOUNtai [2127] sun t*o* pisT*O* A-braAM.* *

 2. 3:10-14 FAITH IN CHRIST: THE ONLY WAY OF DELIVERANCE FROM THE LAW

a. 3:10 SCRIPTURES PRONOUNCE A CURSE UPON LAW-KEEPERS

 *For as many as are of works of law are under a curse: for it is written
[that],*

HOsoi gar ex ERg*o*n NOmou eiSIN huPO kaTAran [2671] EIsin: GEgrap-tai gar
[HOti],

*Cursed every one who continues not in all the things*

Epi-kaTAra-tos [1944] pas hos ouk emMEnei [1696] PAsin tois

*written in the book of the law, to do them.*

ge-gramMEnois en t*o* bibLI*o* [975] tou NOmou, tou poi*E*sai [4160] auTA.

 b. 3:11-12 CONTRAST BETWEEN FAITH WAY AND LAW WAY OF JUSTIFICATION

*Now that no one is justified by law before :God, is evident:*

HOti de en NOm*o* ouDEIS di-kaiOUtai [1344] paRA t*o* The*O*, D*E*lon [1212]
:

*because, The righteous shall live by faith;*

HOti, Ho DIkai-os [1342] ek PIste-*o*s [4102] Z*E*se-tai [2198];

12* and the law is not of faith: but, Who does them shall live in them.*

ho de NOmos ouk EStin ek PIste-*o*s: all', Ho poi*E*sas auTA Z*E*se-tai en
auTOIS.

 c. 3:13-14 CHRIST'S REDEMPTION PROVIDES THE PROMISE OF THE SPIRIT

*Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law,*

ChrisTOS h*e*MAS e-x*e*GOra-sen [1805] ek t*e*s kaTAras [2671] tou NOmou,

*having become a curse for us; because it is written,*

geNOme-nos [1096] huPER h*e*M*O*N kaTAra; HOti GEgrap-tai,

*Accursed every one hanging on a tree:* 14* that unto the nations might come
*

E-pi-kaTAra-tos [1944] pas ho kreMAme-nos [2910] ePI XUlou [3586]: HIna eis
ta ETHn*e*

*the blessing of Abraham in Christ Jesus;*

h*e* eu-loGIa [2129] tou A-braAM GEn*e*-tai en ChrisT*O* I*e*SOU;

*that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through :faith.*

HIna t*e*n e-pag-geLIan [1860] tou PNEUma-tos LAb*o*-men diA t*e*s PIste-*o*
s.

 3. 3:15-18 BASIS OF PROMISE: ABRAHAMIC COVENANT, NOT LAW

a. 3:15a * Brethren, I speak after man's **manner. *A-delPHOI, kaTA
ANthr*o*-pon
LEg*o*.

 b. 3:15b A COVENANT PROPERLY ENACTED CANNOT BE VOIDED

*Though but man's covenant, no one makes it void,*

HOm*o*s anTHR*O*pou ke-ku-r*o*MEn*e*n [2964] di-aTH*E*k*e*n [1242], ouDEIS
a-theTEI [114],

*or adds to **it** when confirmed. **e* e-pi-di-aTASse-tai [1928].

 c. 3:16a * Now to :Abraham were the promises spoken, and to his :seed.*

t*o* de A-braAM erR*E*th*e*-san [4483] hai e-pag-geLIai [1860], kai
t*o*SPERma-ti
[4690] auTOU.

 d. 3:16b THE PROMISE TO BE VALIDATED THROUGH THE DEATH OF ONE SEED: CHRIST

*He says not, And to seeds, as of many;*

ou LEgei, Kai tois SPERma-sin, h*o*s ePI polL*O*N;

*but as of one, And to your :seed, which is Christ.*

all' h*o*s eph' heNOS, Kai t*o* SPERmaTI sou, HOS es-tin ChrisTOS.

 e. 3:17 THE LAW, FOLLOWING ABRAHAMIC COVENANT, DID NOT VOID IT

*Now this I say: A covenant confirmed before by :God, the law,*

TOUto de LEg*o*: di-aTH*E*k*e*n [1242] pro-ke-ku-r*o*MEn*e*n [4300] huPO
tou TheOU,

*which came to be four hundred and thirty years after,*

ho meTA te-traKOsi-a kai triAkon-ta Et*e* ge-goN*O*S,

*does not disannul, to make the promise void.*

NOmos [3551]*,* ouk a-kuROI [208], eis to ka-tarG*E*sai [2673] t*e*n
e-pag-geLIan.

 f. 3:18 THEREFORE INHERITANCE DEPENDENT ON PROMISE, NOT LAW

*For if the inheritance is of law, it is no more of promise:*

ei gar ek NOmou h*e* kl*e*-ro-noMIa [2817], ouKEti ex e-pag-geLIas:

*but :God has granted it to :Abraham by promise.*

t*o* de A-braAM di' e-pag-geLIas keCHAris-tai [5483] ho TheOS.

 4. 3:19-22 PURPOSE OF LAW: TO SHUT UP TO FAITH IN CHRIST ALONE

a. 3:19a* What therefore is the law? ** *Ti oun ho NOmos?

 b. 3:19b TO HOLD TRANSGRESSORS DOWN TILL THE PROMISE FULFILLED

*It was added because of transgressions,*

t*o*n pa-raBAse-*o*n [3847] CHArin pro-seTEth*e* [4369],

*till the seed come to whom the promise has been made:*

Achris an ELth*e* to SPERma h*o* eP*E*Ggel-tai[1861]:

*ordained through angels by a mediator's hand.*

di-a-taGEIS [1299] di' agGEl*o*n [32] en cheiRI meSItou [3316].

 c. 3:20 LAW, NOT THE COVENANT, HAD A MEDIATOR

*Now not of one is the mediator; but :God is one.*

ho de meSIt*e*s heNOS ouk EStin; ho de TheOS HEIS es-tin.

 d. 3:21a* Is the law then against the promises of God?*

ho ouv NOmos kaTA t*o*n e-pag-ge-li*O*N tou TheOU?

 e. 3:21b LAW A TEMPORARY NECESSITY THAT CANNOT MAKE PERFECT

*Be it not so: *m*e* GEnoi-to:

*for if a law had been given which could make alive,*

ei gar eDOth*e* NOmos ho duNAme-nos [1410] z*o*-o-poi*E*sai [2227],

*truly :righteousness would have been by law.*

ONt*o*s en NOm*o* an *e*n h*e* di-kai-oSUn*e*n.

 f. 3:22 LAW SHUTS UP HOPELESS MAN TO CHRIST ALONE

*But the scripture shut up :all things under sin,*

 alLA suNEklei-sen [4788] h*e* graPH*E* [1124] ta PANta huPO ha-marTIan
[266],

*that the promise from faith in Jesus Christ might be given to the
believing.*

HIna h*e* e-pag-geLIa [1860] ek PIste-*o*s I*e*SOU ChrisTOU doTH*E* tois
piSTEUou-sin [4102].

 *NOTE*: Do you have friends who have strayed from the straight and narrow
way, and ended up in a cult, etc.? We all have. What do you then do? Pray?
More?

 Paul did. When the Galatians were bewitched with the Judaizers, and
forsook “grace” and returned to “law” - he was heart-broken. He prayed. But
he also wrote. Galatians is one of the finest letters written in an attempt
to reclaim wandering souls.

 Note what he says to them first, *“O foolish Galatians, who bewitched you,
before whose eyes Jesus Christ was openly set forth crucified” (3:1)?*

 The “cults” do not know Jesus Christ *crucified*! They are bloodless
cults. With them there is no atonement - no redemption. Their leaders are
dedicated to the self-life, self-pleasure, self-enrichment - without
seeking to please God the Father, Christ His Son, or Their teachings in the
Bible, God's Word.

 Sure - they quote verses here and there, taken out of context, and in line
with their life lacking self-denial, taking up their cross in
identification with Christ crucified - and failing to follow Him (Mark
8:34).

 The day will come, that with a bitter cry, they will confess that they
were “deceived - bewitched,” by false teachers of “another Gospel.” Look at
Todd Bentley - who received his revelations from a “lady angel”! Angels in
the Bible are neither feminine nor cherubs (baby angels). Such are
traditions of men. In the “Unity Cult,” and many others of like ilk - the
teachers number in women up to 80% - hardly the proportion we find in
either the *Old* or NT.

 Then see what Paul repeats twice concerning such false teachers -
Galatians 1:6-9 - *“I marvel that you are so quickly removing from him that
called you in Christ's grace unto a different gospel. 7 which is not
another: only there are some that trouble you, and wish to pervert the
gospel of the Christ. 8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, should
preach to you a gospel other than what we preached to you, let him be
anathema. 9 As we have said before, so say I now again, if any preaches to
you a gospel other than what you received, let him be anathema.” *This must
be our attitude also towards all false teachers who depart from Paul's
Gospel, as he so clearly set forth in his 14 letters.

 God made Paul the apostle to the Gentiles, the nations - all non Jews.
Indeed, he saw God's *mystery* of Jew and Gentile together as the *One New
Man*, and the relationship of both in Romans 11. He is adamant in
protecting us non-Jews from the Judaizers. We should be equally protective
in defending all believers from the false cults, who all teach “another”
Gospel, and bring down upon themselves the “curse” of God.

 Does this sound too strong? *Not* if you consider the value of souls in
God's sight! For is it worth it to play fast and loose with your soul under
false teachers, when the end is to end up under a curse with them? Hardly!

 The heart of Paul and the heart of God clearly shines through in this
letter to the Galatians. Here Paul clearly sets forth the stark division
between law and grace, and the danger and penalty of following teachers who
have departed from the latter.

 It is good to remember that in the Greek and English NT texts I have
chosen above, they form God's Bible Numeric Outlined Greek Interlinear NT.
God's signature is *numbers*. He chose the only 2 languages in the world
(Greek and Hebrew) with no numerical equivalents - to write His Bible in -
66 books through 33 spelled-out writers. It can be mathematically proven
that this Greek Text set forth by God through Ivan Panin, is the “original”
Greek text, and the English translation of it is based on a 10-year
production of a Numeric Greek Lexicon, before Panin ever started producing
the Greek text.

 Those who hate God and His Bible standards, don't have a leg to stand upon
in the light of this extraordinary text. Those who hate what the Bible says
about them - again - haven't a leg to stand upon. This should give courage
- encourage all believers, to stand boldly but lovingly with God in His
Word. Speak the truth in love. Persecuted for this? Of course! But with
“Eternity's Values in View” - who could then hesitate?

 I am committed to proclaim God's Word like Paul. Read 2 Corinthians 6 to
see what it caused him. But from his lips - *“These light afflictions are not
worthy to be compared with the glory to be revealed!”* I join Paul in
glorifying the Father through Jesus and His Word! Will you join me? Brother
Yun, “The Heavenly Man” of China, certainly has! - J.A.Watt