God Bless Canada

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 17:01:57 PDT 2012

June 11, 2012

 *2012-06-11 - God Bless Canada!*

*(Posted on June 5, 2012 by Jerusalem Connection, in Uncategorized*

*By Shira Sorko-Ram, Maoz)*

 *Canada has long been considered a classical liberal democracy. In fact,
according to Wikipedia, Canada is presently one of the more liberal
countries in the Americas - a nation with government-regulated free market,
with an emphasis on social justice and social progressivism such as
abortion issues and same-sex marriage.*

 *However, a quiet revolution has been taking place since Stephen Harper
was sworn in with his own personal Bible as Canada's 22nd prime minister in
2006.*

 *The prime minister is a member of the Christian and Missionary Alliance
church, and his critics castigate him for being a “born-again Christian.”
Journalist Colin Campbell of www.macleans.ca noted that “the church [of
Harper] looks and sounds nothing like the ornate, staid Catholic churches
attended by past prime ministers. There is no choir, organ or pews.
Instead, there is a drum kit, guitars, piano and metal chairs. There is a
large wooden cross at the front, but little else by way of decoration. The
pastor used PowerPoint graphics, projected onto the building's pale pink
walls to highlight his sermon. Worshipers are encouraged to clap or raise
their hands to the sky while singing.” Even though this prime minister
governs over a nation of whom only about 10% are evangelicals, he is
immensely popular. In fact, in the 2011 parliament elections, his party won
an absolute majority.*

 *According to the Globe and Mail, Harper is moving towards smaller
government, encouraging growth through low taxes and the fewest regulations
possible. Within three years, his aim is to balance the national budge, “a
feat virtually unequaled in the developed world.” (theGlobeandMail.com;
29Mar2012)*

 *But his changes grabbing global headlines are in international foreign
policy, specifically Israel. Believe it or not, headlines in many news
outlets and and blogs read: “Canada is the World's Most Pro-Israel Country.”
*

 *Journalists are somewhat baffled as to what drives the prime minister's
pro-Israel agenda. Even though he has “embraced Israel as has no Canadian
leader before him,” the media notes that out of 34 million Canadians, Jews
number only 315,000. In contrast, the number of Canadian Muslims is
expected to nearly triple in the next 20 years, from about 940,000 in 2010
to nearly 2.7 million in 2030, according to the Pew Research Center.*

 *The media concludes that Harper seems to be acting out of personal
conviction. He has been known to stand up for Israel since 1997 when he
worked for a conservative economic organization. Even then, where there
could have been no political calculation, he made it clear that he believed
Canada should be a loyal, true ally of Israel.*

 *And wonder of wonders, the prime minister has been able to transform
Canadian policy for Israel with little opposition.*

 *Harper's strong feelings for Israel can be seen as consistent with his
distinctly conservative background and worldview. He believes Israel is a
bulwark of democracy and Western civilization warring against terrorists in
a region governed by brutal autocrats.*

 *Soon after becoming prime minister, he was the first to cut off funds to
the Palestinian Authority in 2006 when it was taken over by Hamas.*

 *He has spoken out often about growing global anti-Semitism.*

 *In nine items against Israel at a recent committee of the UN General
Assembly, Canada consistently voted with a small group of Israel's
staunchest allies - the US and four small Pacific island nations.*

 *Last year, Harper made world headlines when he alone refused to sign on
to a G8 statement which specifically called for talks based on a return to
Israel's 1967 borders, plus some minor land swaps negotiated with
Palestinians - an idea President Barack Obama pressed for vigorously.
Harper would not sign on until that phrase was deleted.*

 *When UNESCO, a UN organization, decided to bypass the UN's legal methods
for accepting a new nation into the UN and voted for Palestine to be
admitted to UNESCO, only 14 nations of of 194 voted against recognizing
Palestinian statehood. Two of those states with the US and Canada.*

 *Last year, Canada was projected to be voted onto the all-important UN
Security Council. It was not, and Harper suggested it was because of
Canada's stalwart defense of Israel.*

 *For the prime minister, however, it was a small price to pay. “Whether it
is at the United Nations or any other international forum, the easy thing
to do is simply to just get along and go along with this anti-Israeli
rhetoric,” Harper said. “As long as I am prime minister, whether it is at
the UN or the Francophone (French speaking) or anywhere else, Canada will
take a stand whatever the cost.” (Tabletmag.com; 9Aug2011)*

 *We go back to one of God's great foundational promises: “I will bless
those who bless you and curse him who curses you.”*

 *There is no doubt in my mind that God is blessing and will continue to
bless a nation whose leader serves God and his moral foundation is based on
the Bible. Certainly the favor of God is upon Prime Minister Harper and the
Canadian people. Needless to say, this prime minister needs the prayers of
his citizens.*

 *NOTE**: Marie and I both have dual citizenship. I am US born - but of
Canadian parentage: my father from Gananoque, Ontario; my mother from just
north of Halifax, Nova Scotia. My education is primarily from Canada until
the age of 25. My parents both have Presbyterian backgrounds, but in 1927
joined the United Church of Canada, in which I was brought up.*

 *Marie is French Canadian Roman Catholic in her background, and was born
in Port Alberni, BC. We met in Grade 9 of HS in Port Alberni, and were
married in 1948 in Port Alberni.*

 *We are aware of the 3 prophecies given by Dr. David Yonggi Cho for Canada
in 1975 at Kelowna, BC; 1979 at Toronto; and 1984 at Halifax. In all 3
prophetic words he indicated that God had an elected purpose for Canada in
the last day - all in His Sovereignty as the Master-Potter.*

 *If God could unite a Francophone and an Anglophone for a type of Canadian
unity - then He can easily fulfill all His last days' purpose through
Canada in world-wide missions and evangelism. And it does seem that He has
the right Prime-minister in place for His purposes in this regard.*

 *Canada's official national anthem has quite a history. It was originally
commissioned by the Lt. Governor of Quebec for the 1880 Saint-Jean-Baptiste
Day Ceremony; Calixa Lavalee wrote the music as a setting of a French
Canadian patriotic poem composed by poet and judge Adolphe-Basile Routhier
of Montreal. The lyrics were originally in French and translated into
English in 1906. Here is the official English translation:*

*O Canada!*

*Our home and native land!*

*True patriot love in all thy sons command.*

*With glowing hearts we see thee rise,*

*The True North strong and free!*

*From far and wide,*

*O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.*