Matthew 16:1-20 - Interlinear

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri May 11 10:34:19 PDT 2012

May 11, 2012

 *(From: MATTHEW #26 - 16:1-20) *

 E. 16:1-12 WARNING AGAINST PHARISEES AND SADDUCEES

1. 16:1-4 THE SIGN OF JONAH FOR CARPERS

a. 16:1 JEWISH LEADERS SEEK A SIGN

*And the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and trying him*

Kai pro-selTHONtes hoi Pha-riSAIoi kai Sad-douKAIoi, peiRAzon-tes* *[3985]

*asked him to show them a sign from :heaven.*

e-p*e*R*O*t*e*-san [1905] auTON s*e*MEIon [4592] ek tou ou-raNOU e-piDEIxai
[1925] auTOIS.

 b. 16:2 WEATHER FORECAST FOR EVENING

*But he answered and said to them, When it is evening,*

ho de a-po-kriTHEIS EIpen auTOIS, O-PSIas ge-noMEn*e*s,

*you say, Fair weather: for the heaven is red.*

LEge-te, EuDIa [2115]: purRAzei [4449] gar ho ou-raNOS.

 c. 16:3a* And in the morning, Foul weather today: for the heaven is red
and lowering.*

kai pr*o*I, S*E*me-ron cheiM*O*N [5494]: purRAzei gar stugNAz*o*n [4768] ho
ou-raNOS.

 d. 16:3b WEATHER FORECASTING FAILS IN SPIRITUAL DISCERNMENT

*You know how to discern the face of the heaven;*

to men PROs*o*-pon tou ou-raNOU giN*O*ske-te di-aKRInein [1252];

*but you cannot discern the signs of the seasons.*

ta de s*e*MEIa t*o*n kaiR*O*N [2540] ou DUnas-the.

 e. 16:4a DESIRE FOR SIGNS : INDICATION OF AN EVIL GENERATION!

*An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign;*

ge-neA po-n*e*RA kai moi-chaLIS [3428] s*e*MEIon e-pi-z*e*TEI;

*and no sign shall be given it, but the sign of Jonah.*

kai s*e*MEIon ou doTH*E*se-tai auT*E*, ei m*e* to s*e*MEIon I*o*NA.

 f. 16:4b * And he left them, **and** departed. ** *kai ka-ta-liP*O*N
[2641]auTOUS, aP
*E*Lthen.

 2. 16:5-12 BEWARE OF LEAVEN OF SCRIBES AND PHARISEES

a. 16:5* And the disciples came to the other side and forgot to take loaves.
*

Kai elTHONtes hoi ma-th*e*TAI eis to PEran e-peLAthon-to [1950] ARtous
laBEIN.

 b. 16:6 JESUS WARNS DISCIPLES OF FALSE LEAVEN

*And :Jesus said to them, Take heed and beware*

ho de I*e*SOUS EIpen auTOIS, HoRAte [3708] kai proSEche-te [4337]

*of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.*

aPO t*e*s ZUm*e*s [2219] t*o*n Pha-riSAI*o*n kai Sad-douKAI*o*n.

 c. 16:7* And they reasoned among themselves, saying [that], We took no
loaves.*

hoi de di-e-loGIzon-to [1260] en he-auTOIS, LEgon-tes [HOti], ARtous ouk
eLAbo-men.

 d. 16:8 JESUS REBUKES THEIR MISUNDERSTANDING

*And :Jesus perceiving it said, You of little faith,*

gnous de ho I*e*SOUS EIpen, Ti di-a-loGIzes-the,

*why do you reason among yourselves, because you have no loaves?*

en he-auTOIS, o-liGOpi-stoi [3640], HOti ARtous ouk Eche-te?

 e. 16:9 JESUS REASONS WITH THEM

*Do you not yet perceive, neither remember the five loaves*

OUp*o* noEIte, ouDE mn*e*-moNEUe-te [3421] tous PENte ARtous

*of the five thousand, and how many baskets you took up?*

t*o*n pen-ta-kis-chiLI*o*n, kai POsous koPHInous [2894] eLAbe-te?

 f. 16:10 * Neither the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many
hampers you took up?*

ouDE tous hepTA ARtous t*o*n te-tra-kis-chiLI*o*n, kai POsas sphuRIdas
[4711] eLAbe-te?

 g. 16:11a* How do you not perceive that I spoke not to you concerning
loaves?*

p*o*s ou noEIte HOti ou peRI ARt*o*n EIpon huMIN?

 h. 16:11b* But beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.*

proSEche-te [4337] de aPO t*e*s ZUm*e*s t*o*n Pha-riSAI*o*n kai Sad-douKAI*o
*n.

 i. 16:12 DISCIPLES FINALLY GET THE POINT

*Then they understood that he bade them beware not of the leaven*

TOte suN*E*kan [4920] HOti ouk EIpen proSEchein aPO t*e*s ZUm*e*s

*of the loaves, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.*

t*o*n ARt*o*n, alLA aPO t*e*s di-daCH*E*S [1322] t*o*n Pha-riSAI*o*n kai
Sad-douKAI*o*n.

 F. 16:13-20 THE IDENTITY OF JESUS AND HIS PURPOSE

a. 16:13 JESUS SEEKS FROM HIS DISCIPLES HOW *OTHERS* IDENTIFY HIM

*Now when :Jesus came into the parts of Caesarea :Philippi,*

ElTH*O*N de ho I*e*SOUS eis ta MEr*e* Kai-saRIas t*e*s PhiLIPpou,

*he asked his :disciples, saying,*

*e*R*O*ta tous ma-th*e*TAS auTOU, LEg*o*n,

*Who do :men say that the Son of :man is?*

TIna LEgou-sin hoi ANthr*o*-poi EInai ton huiON tou anTHR*O*pou?

 b. 16:14 THE VARIOUS IDENTIFICATIONS MEN ATTEMPTED FOR JESUS

*And they said, Some say John the Baptist; and some Elijah; *

hoi de EIpan, Hoi men I*o*An*e*n ton bap-tisT*E*N; ALloi de *E*-LEIan;

*and others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets.*

HEte-roi de, Ie-reMIan, *e* HEna t*o*n pro-ph*e*T*O*N.

 c. 16:15* He says to them, But who do YOU say that I am?*

LEgei auTOIS, HuMEIS de TIna me LEge-te EInai?

 d. 16:16 * And Simon Peter answered and said, You are the Christ, the Son
of the living :God.*

A-po-kriTHEIS de SIm*o*n PEtros EIpen, Su ei ho ChrisTOS, ho huiOS tou
TheOU tou Z*O*Ntos [2198].

 e. 16:17 JESUS REVEALS THE SOURCE OF PETER'S DISCERNMENT

*And :Jesus answered and said to him, Blessed are you,*

a-po-kriTHEIS de ho I*e*SOUS EIpen auT*O*, MaKAri-os [3107] ei,

*Simon Bar-Jonah: for flesh and blood has not revealed it to you,*

SIm*o*n Ba-ri-*o*NA: HOti sarx kai HAIma ouk a-peKAluPSEN soi,

*but my :Father who is in the heavens.*

all' ho paT*E*R mou ho en tois ou-raNOIS.

 f. 16:18 JESUS REVEALS THE FOUNDATION AND TRIUMPH OF HIS CHURCH

*And I also say unto you, that you are Peter,*

ka' 'G*O* DE soi LEg*o*, HOti su ei PEtros [4074],

*and upon this :rock I will build my :church*

kai ePI TAUt*e* t*e* PEtra [4073] oi-ko-doM*E*s*o* [3618] mou t*e*n
ek-kl*e*SIan
[1577]

*and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.*

kai PUlai [4439] HAdou [86] ou ka-tiSCHUsou-sin [2729] auT*E*S.

 g. 16:19 THE AUTHORITY JESUS DELEGATES TO PETER AND DISCIPLES

*I will give you the keys of the kingdom of the heavens; and whatever you
shall bind on the earth*

D*O*s*o* soi tas KLEIdas [2807] t*e*s ba-siLEIas [932] t*o*n ou-raN*O*N;
kai ho eAN D*E*s*e*s [1210] ePI t*e*s g*e*s

*shall be bound in the heavens; and whatever you shall loose*

EStai de-deMEnon en tois ou-raNOIS; kai ho eAN LUs*e*s [3089]

*on the earth shall be loosed in the heavens.*

ePI t*e*s g*e*s EStai le-luMEnon en tois ou-raNOIS.

 h. 16:20 * Then charged he the disciples that they should tell no one that
he is the Christ.*

TOte e-peTIm*e*-sen tois ma-th*e*TAIS HIna m*e*-deNI EIp*o*-sin HOti auTOS
es-tin ho ChrisTOS.

 *NOTE**: *Unbelievers like the Pharisees and Sadducees are to be avoided,
especially their teaching! It is like leaven! And leaven in the Bible
usually has a connotation of *evil*! My background was in this type of
environment. I did not hear the Gospel clearly presented until *after* I
became a Christian! We will do well to heed Jesus' warning concerning these
types of teachers. Those who take away from the Word of God (Sadducees),
and those who *add* to God's Word (Pharisees) - *they* are modern versions
of such false teachers. 3 times in the Bible God warns of these latter
(Deuteronomy, Proverbs and Revelation).

 It is interesting to note the questions of Jesus to His disciples
concerning His identity. The general answers given by His disciples did not
satisfy Him. He wanted *their* direct answer as to His identity. Peter by
direct revelation of the Spirit of the Father received the answer Jesus
desired. He was the *Christ*, the *Messiah* to come, the *Son* of the
living God! What a revelation! And Jesus *confirmed* that this was what He
was looking for! He pronounced a blessing upon Peter in the light of this
revelation.

 Now 16:18 has been a verse with a number of interpretations by scholars.
It seems that the majority feel that the revelation God gave Peter
concerning His Son - as a *confession*, was the “rock” upon which Jesus
would build His church.

 However, the use of the two Greek words for “rock” might offer another
outlook. The word Peter is “PEtros”, meaning “a little rock”. The rock upon
which Jesus said He would build His church is “PEtra”, a large rock. Off
the Province of Newfoundland and the great fishing banks off the shores of
New England, are the “Grand Banks”, or “PEtra”. Upon it are numbers of
smaller rocks, “PEtros”. Jesus Himself can be likened to the Grand Banks -
“PEtra”, and we like Peter are living stones built upon Him, to form a
Living Temple of Living Stones, with Jesus the Chief Corner Stone, and also
the coming Capstone, the Alpha and Omega. It is true, that each living
stone needs to receive Spirit revelation from the Father - but I tend to
favor this latter view.

 Further, not only Peter, but all true living stones receive the keys of
the Kingdom. As we faithfully proclaim the Gospel as Peter did, it becomes
a key to open the door to the Kingdom of God. In 16:19 the “Williams”
translation of the NT is perhaps closer to the truth here than almost all
others. It reads, “Whatever you shall bind on earth, must already in the
mind of God *have been bound* in heaven (Perfect Passive Participle); and
whatever you shall loose on the earth must already *have been
loosed*(Perfect Passive Participle) in heaven.

 This translation requires us to live close enough to God, that knowing His
mind, we can *then* boldly proclaim on earth *His* desire, and it
*shall*be done. This is quite a different perspective in the use of
the keys of
the Kingdom. It makes *us* the water-boys of God, not God *our* water-boy.
I am not dogmatic on this point, but I personally favor it, and personally
follow it. George Muller, Rees Howells and Oswald Chambers did also. I,
like them, can be *bold* in my faith, when I know the mind of God. See 1
John 5:14-15 - *“And this is the boldness which we have toward him, that,
if we ask anything according to his :will, he hears us; 15 and if we
knowthat he hears us
whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions which we have asked of
him.”* Our *boldness* here comes when we ask *anything* *according to Hiswill
*! This fully accords with the Williams translation of Matthew 16:19.

- J.A.Watt