Acts 2:1-21 Interlinear

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri May 4 14:37:17 PDT 2012

May 4, 2012

 *(From: ACTS #3 - 2:1-21)*

 II. 2:1-47 THE THEOLOGY OF PENTECOST

1. 2:1-4 THE PROMISE OF THE FATHER FULFILLED

a. 2:1* And when the day of :Pentecost was being fulfilled, *

Kai en t*o* sun-pl*e*ROUSthai t*e*n h*e*MEran t*e*s pen-t*e*-koST*E*S [4005]
,

*all were together in the one **place**. ** * *E*san PANtes hoMOU ePI to
auTO.

 b. 2:2 ACCOMPANIMENTS OFTHE SPIRIT

*And suddenly a sound came from :heaven as of a mighty wind rushing,*

kai eGEne-to APHn*o* ek tou ou-raNOU *E*chos H*O*Sper phe-roMEn*e*s pno*E*S
biAIas,

*and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.*

kai ePL*E*r*o*-sen [4127] HOlon ton OIkon hou *E*san kaTH*E*me-noi [2521].

 c. 2:3 FIRE OF THE SPIRIT

*And tongues as if of fire being distributed appeared to them;*

kai *O*PHth*e*-san [3700] auTOIS di-a-me-riZOme-nai [1266] GL*O*Ssai h*o*SEI
puROS [2523];

*and it sat upon each of them. ** *kai eKAthi-sen eph' HEna HEka-ston auT*O*
N.

 d. 2:4 ALL FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT

*And all were filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other
tongues,*

kai ePL*E*Sth*e*-san PANtes PNEUma-tos HaGIou, kai *E*Rxan-to laLEIN
heTErais GL*O*Ssais,

*as the Spirit gave them utterance.*

kaTH*O*S to PNEUma eDIdou a-pophTHEGges-thai [659] auTOIS.

 2. 2:5-13 MANIFESTATION OF THE SPIRIT: A SIGN TO UNBELIEVERS

a. 2:5 MANIFESTATION: ITS FIRST SETTING

*Now in Jerusalem were dwelling Jews, devout men,*

*E*san de en Ie-rou-saL*E*M ka-toiKOUNtes [2730] IouDAIoi, ANdres eu-laBEIS
[2126],

*from every nation, those under :heaven.*

aPO panTOS ETHnous [1484], t*o*n aPO ton ou-raNON.

 b. 2:6 THE MULTITUDE COME TOGETHER

*And when this :voice was heard, the multitude came together, and were
confounded,*

ge-noMEn*e*s de t*e*s ph*o*N*E*S TAUt*e*s, suN*E*Lthe to PL*E*thos [4128],
kai su-neCHUth*e* [4797],

*because each heard them speaking in his own :language.*

HOti *E*kou-sen heis HEka-stos t*e* iDIa di-aLEKt*o* [1258] laLOUNt*o*n auT*
O*N.

 c. 2:7 MANIFESTATION: A CAUSE OF AMAZEMENT AND MARVELING

*And they were amazed and marveled, saying,*

eXIstan-to [1839] de kai eTHAUma-zon [2296], LEgon-tes,

*Behold, are not all these that speak Galileans?*

OuCHI iDOU, PANtes HOU-TOI ei-sin hoi laLOUNtes Ga-liLAIoi?

 d. 2:8-11 MANIFESTATION: A SIGN TO ALL NATIONS

*And how do we hear, each in our own :language in which we were born?*

kai p*o*s h*e*MEIS aKOUo-men, HEka-stos t*e* iDIa di-aLEKt*o* h*e*M*O*N en h
*e* e-genN*E*th*e*-men?

9* Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and the dwellers in :Mesopotamia,*

PARthoi kai M*E*doi kai E-laMEItai, kai hoi ka-toiKOUNtes [2730] t*e*n
Me-so-po-taMIan,

*and Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and :Asia, *10* and Phrygia and Pamphylia,
*

IouDAIan te kai Kap-pa-doKIan, PONton kai t*e*n A-SIan, PhruGIan te kai
Pam-phuLIan,

*Egypt and the parts of :Libya :about Cyrene,*

AIgup-ton kai ta MEr*e* [3313] t*e*s LiBU*e*s t*e*s kaTA KuR*E*n*e*n,

*and :Roman sojourners, both Jews and proselytes, *11 *Cretans and Arabians,
*

kai hoi e-pi-d*e*MOUNtes 'R*o*MAIoi, IouDAI-OI te kai proS*E*lu-toi, KR*E*tes
kai Ara-bes,

*we hear them speak in our :tongues the mighty works of :God.*

aKOUo-men laLOUNt*o*n auT*O*N tais h*e*-meTErais GL*O*Ssais ta me-gaLEIa
[3167] tou TheOU.

 e. 2:12 * And all were amazed, and perplexed, saying one to another, *

eXIstan-to de PANtes, kai di-*e*-poROUNto, ALlos pros ALlon LEgon-tes,

*What does this mean? ** *Ti THElei TOUto EInai?

 f. 2:13* But others mocking said [that] They are filled with new wine.*

HEte-roi de di-ach-leuAzon-tes Ele-gon [HOti] GLEUkous me-me-st*o*MEnoi
[3325] eiSIN.

 3. 2:14-21 GOD VINDICATES HIS PROPHETIC WORD

a. 2:14 PETER'S ADDRESS

*But :Peter, standing with the eleven,*

StaTHEIS, de ho PEtros, sun tois ENde-ka,

*lifted up his :voice, and spoke forth to them,*

eP*E*ren t*e*n ph*o*N*E*N auTOU, kai a-pephTHEGxa-to auTOIS,

*You** men of Judea, and all that dwell at Jerusalem,*

ANdres IouDAIoi, kai hoi ka-toiKOUNtes Ie-rou-saL*E*M PANtes,

*be this known to you, and give ear to my :words.*

TOUto huMIN gn*o*STON [1097] ESt*o*, kai e-n*o*TIsas-the [1801] ta 'R*E*maTA
[4487] mou.

 b. 2:15-18 QUOTATION FROM JOEL

*For these are not drunken, as YOU suppose; *

ou gar h*o*s huMEIS hu-po-lamBAne-te, HOUtoi meTHUou-sin;

*for it is **the** third hour of the day; ** * EStin gar H*O*ra TRIt*e* t*e*s
h*e*MEras;

16* but this is what has been spoken through the prophet Joel:*

alLA TOU-TO es-tin to ei-r*e*MEnon [2045] diA tou proPH*E*tou [4396] I*o*-*E
*L:

17* And it shall be in the last days, says :God,*

Kai EStai en tais esCHAtais [2078] h*e*MErais, LEgei ho TheOS,

*I will pour forth of my :Spirit upon all flesh:*

ek-che*O* [1632] aPO tou PNEUmaTOS [4151] mou ePI PAsan SARka [4561]:

*And your :sons and your :daughters shall prophesy,*

kai pro-ph*e*TEUsou-sin [4395] hoi huiOI huM*O*N kai hai thu-gaTEres [2364]huM
*O*N,

*And your young :men shall see visions,*

kai hoi ne-aNIskoi [3495] huM*O*N hoRAseis [3706] Opson-tai [3700],

*and your :elders shall dream dreams:*

kai hoi presBUte-roi [4245] huM*O*N e-nupNIois [1798] e-nup-ni-asTH*E*son-tai
[1797]:

18* Yes and on my :bondmen and on my :bondmaids in those :days*

kai ge ePI tous DOUlous mou kai ePI tas DOUlas mou en tais h*e*MErais
eKEInais

*Will I pour forth of my :Spirit; and they shall prophesy.*

ek-che*O* [1632] aPO tou PNEUmaTOS mou; kai pro-ph*e*TEUsou-sin [4395].

 c. 2:19-21 SALVATION RIGHT UP TO TRIBULATION

*And I will show wonders in :heaven above, And signs on :earth beneath;*

kai D*O*s*o* [1325] TEra-ta [5059] en t*o* ou-raN*O* An*o*, kai s*e*MEIa
[4592] ePI t*e*s g*e*s KAt*o*;

*Blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke:*

HAIma [129], kai pur [4442], kai atMIda [822] kapNOU [2586]:

20* The sun shall be turned into darkness, And the moon into blood,*

ho H*E*li-os me-ta-straPH*E*se-tai eis SKOtos, kai h*e* seL*E*n*e*
[4582]eis HAIma
[129],

*b**efore the great and notable day of **the** Lord come:*

prin elTHEIN h*e*MEran KuRIou t*e*n meGAl*e*n [3173] kai e-pi-phaN*E*
[2016]:

21* And it shall be, that whoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall
be saved.*

kai EStai, pas hos eAN e-pi-kaLEs*e*-tai [1941] to Ono-ma KuRIou
s*o*TH*E*se-tai
[4982].

 *NOTE**: *The word “Theology” comes from two Greek words signifying “a *
word* about *God*”. “The Theology of Pentecost” is a phrase coined by
Pastor Ern Baxter signifying, “God's Word concerning the Feast of
Pentecost, and the Promise of the Father fulfilled by the coming of the
Holy Spirit to replace Jesus on earth, according to His promise to His
disciples in John 13-17.” Pastor Baxter had a personal library of some
17,000 volumes, but his “working library” consisted of some 1500 volumes,
which he had mastered. When I stayed with him on occasion, he and Ruth set
me up to sleep in his library. He usually cautioned me, “Be sure to show
respect to these volumes, and you may look into a volume or two that
interest you.”

 The Greek Word Studies I developed primarily from the Bible Numeric
phenomenon discovered by Ivan Panin, I made available to him. With the help
of an assistant, we produced some 4000 MS pages of the major NT Greek
words, which he carted around the world on his travels. He often asked, “Do
you happen to have a Greek Word Study on “righteousness” (di-kai-oSUn*e*),
which being interpreted meant, “Could you have it ready for me yesterday?”
I served as Mr. Baxter's associate for 3 years in Surrey, British Columbia,
and to the time of his home-going in 1993 from the time we developed a
close friendship in 1948 through the North Battleford Visitation, we
maintained this relationship.

 “The Theology of Pentecost” was one of Pastor Baxter's chief interests,
and in this and other of his interests, I profited much. He developed a
diagram on God's *covenant* - our relationship to Him as individuals
through this; and subsequently our relationship with one another. He put
God at the apex of a triangle, and illustrated how He offers His covenant
(di-aTH*E*k*e*) to us as individuals. We can accept or reject His offer,
but we *cannot* modify it. Once we accept, we can advance to a
thousand-fold fruitfulness through Him. But when we link
*horizontally*with a fellow believer (SUNth
*e*-k*e*), *Prayer Multiplication* kicks in, and we become 10,000-fold
(Deuteronomy 32:30). Through Zechariah 12:8 we can further advance to a
million-fold each, and 4 couples can reach a billion-fold effectiveness. *
This* is when with six other component parts, “Spiritual Star Wars” through
an “organic automated Laser-Telescope” kicks in! So - of the 7 component
parts of this revelation, Pastor Baxter contributed to the understanding of
the 3rd component part.

 2:1-4 - In the understanding of “The Theology of Pentecost”, the Promise
of the Father mentioned in Acts 1:4 - *here* finds fulfillment.

 2:5-13 - reveals how God uses “Signs Following” (Mark 16:17-20) to alert
the attention of unbelievers, and many times ushers them into the Kingdom
of God.

 2:14-21. Here Peter weaves a prophetic picture of how the Feast of
Pentecost has a distinct relationship with the events right up to the last
days preceding the Return of our Lord Jesus.

 Oswald Chambers was a great believer in maintaining a constant daily,
hourly and even momentarily focus on Jesus, through whom the Holy Spirit
comes. For *He* is the *baptizer* in the Holy Spirit. Not only are we
filled with the Spirit through this baptism, but, like a bottle in a sink
of water - we are *immersed* in the Spirit. Dr. J. Edwin Orr made much of
this analogy. He also talked of the 3 baptizers and the 3 elements. When we
are “saved”, the Holy Spirit baptizes us into the body of Christ. Then the
preacher baptizes us into water, a symbol of this. Finally, Jesus baptizes
us into the Holy Spirit. No finer book than “Rees Howells, Intercessor” by
Norman P. Grubb in chapter 5 and 31, simplifies and clarifies this - the
true “Theology of Pentecost”. J.A.Watt