John 5:1-30

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 09:32:40 PDT 2012

April 23, 2012

 *(From: JOHN #11 - 5:1-30)*

 V. 5:1-47 THE AUTHORITY OF JESUS CONFIRMED

A. 5:1 SECOND FEAST ATTENDED BY JESUS

*After these things was a feast of the Jews; and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
*

MeTA TAUta *e*n he-orT*E* [1859] t*o*n IouDAI*o*n; kai aNEb*e* I*e*SOUS eis
Ie-roSOlu-ma.

 B. 5:2-47 JESUS ANSWERS HIS ADVERSARIES

1. 5:2-9a JESUS HEALS AN INFIRM MAN ON THE SABBATH

a. 5:2 THE POOL OF BETHESDA

*Now there is in :Jerusalem by the sheep gate a pool,*

EStin de en tois Ie-ro-soLUmois ePI t*e* pro-ba-tiK*E* [4262] ko-lumB*E*THra
[2861],

*the one called in Hebrew Bethzatha, having five porches.*

h*e* e-pi-lo-goMEn*e* He-bra-isTI [1447] B*e*th-zaTHA, PENte stoAS
[4745]Echou-sa
.

 b. 5:3 * In these lay a multitude of the sick, blind, halt, withered.*

en TAUtais kaTEkei-to PL*E*thos t*o*n as-theNOUNt*o*n, tuphL*O*N [5185], ch*
o*L*O*N [5560], x*e*R*O*N [3584].

(5:4 - Omitted by Bible Numerics)

 c. 5:5 * And a certain man was there who had been thirty and eight years
in his :infirmity.*

*e*n DE tis ANthr*o*-pos eKEI triAkon-ta kai okT*O* Et*e* Ech*o*n en
t*e*as-theNEIa
[769] auTOU.

 d. 5:6 JESUS QUESTIONS HIM

*:Jesus seeing this man lying down, and knowing that he had been
thusalready a long time,
*

TOUton iD*O*N ho I*e*SOUS ka-taKEIme-non, kai gnous HOti poLUN *E*d*e*CHROnon
[5550] Echei,

*said to him, Would you be made whole?*

LEgei auT*O*, THEleis hu-gi*E*S [5199] geNESthai?

 e. 5:7 THE SICK MAN'S ANSWER

*The sick man answered him, Sir, I have no man,*

a-peKRIth*e* auT*O* ho as-theN*O*N, KUri-e, ANthr*o*-pon ouk Ech*o* HIna,

*when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool:*

HOtan ta-rachTH*E* [5015] to HUd*o*r, BAl*e* me eis t*e*n ko-lumB*E*THran
[2861]:

*but while I am coming, another steps down before me.*

en h*o* de ERcho-mai eG*O*, ALlos pro eMOU ka-taBAInei.

 f. 5:8* :Jesus said to him, Arise, take up your :bed, and walk.*

LEgei auT*O* ho I*e*SOUS, Egei-re, Aron ton KRAbatTON [2895] sou, kai
pe-riPAtei [4043].

 g. 5:9a* And straightway the man became whole, and took up his :bed and
walked.*

kai euTHE*o*s eGEne-to hu-gi*E*S ho ANthr*o*-pos, kai *E*re ton KRAbat-ton
auTOU kai pe-ri-ePAtei.

 2. 5:9b-30 JESUS CLAIMS EQUALITY WITH GOD

a. 5:9b* Now it was the sabbath on that :day.*

*E*n de SABba-ton [4521] en eKEIn*e* t*e* h*e*MEra.

 b. 5:10 SABBATH CONTROVERSY

*Said the Jews therefore to the one cured, It is the sabbath,*

Ele-gon oun hoi IouDAIoi t*o* te-the-ra-peuMEn*o*, [2323] SABbaTON es-tin,

*and it is not lawful for you to take up the bed.*

kai ouk ExeSTIN [1832] soi Arai ton KRABba-ton.

 c. 5:11 THE HEALED MAN'S RESPONSE

*But he answered them, He who made me whole,*

hos de a-peKRIth*e* auTOIS, Ho poi*E*sas me hu-gi*E*,

*the same said to me, Take up your :bed, and walk.*

eKEI-NOS moi EIpen, Aron ton KRABbaTON sou, kai pe-riPAtei.

 d. 5:12* They asked him, Who is the man that said to you, Take up, and
walk?*

*e*R*O*t*e*-san [2065] auTON, TIS es-tin ho ANthr*o*-pos ho eiP*O*N soi,
Aron [142], kai pe-riPAtei?

 e. 5:13 THE DISAPPEARANCE OF JESUS

*But the one healed knew not who it was; *

ho de iaTHEIS [2390] ouk *E*dei TIS es-tin;

*for :Jesus disappeared, a crowd being in the place.*

ho gar I*e*SOUS eXEneu-sen, OCHlou ONtos en t*o* TOp*o*.

 f. 5:14 JESUS' WARNING TO THE HEALED MAN

*After these things :Jesus finds him in the temple, and said to him, See,
you are become whole:*

MeTA TAUta heuRIskei auTON ho I*e*SOUS en t*o* hi-eR*O*, kai EIpen auT*O*,
Ide, hu-gi*E*S GEgo-nas:

*sin no more, lest something worse befall you.*

m*e*KEti haMARta-ne, HIna m*e* CHEI-RON [5501] SOI ti GEn*e*-tai.

 g. 5:15* The man went away, and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had
made him whole.*

aP*E*Lthen ho ANthr*o*-pos, kai EIpen tois 'IouDAIois HOti I*e*SOUS es-tin
ho poi*E*sas auTON hu-gi*E*.

 h. 5:16 * And for this the Jews persecuted :Jesus, because he did these
things on a sabbath.*

kai diA TOUto eDI*o*-kon [1377] hoi IouDAIoi ton I*e*SOUN, HOti TAUta
ePOIei en sabBAt*o*.

 i. 5:17 * But he answered them, My :Father works even until now, and I
work.*

ho de a-peKRIna-to auTOIS, Ho paT*E*R mou HE*o*s ARti erGAze-tai [2038],
ka' 'G*O* erGAzo-mai.

 j. 5:18 FURTHER PERSECUTION

*For this therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him,*

diA TOUto oun MALlon eZ*E*toun auTON hoi IouDAIoi a-pokTEInai [615],

*because he not only broke the sabbath, but also said :God*

HOti ou MOnon Elu-e to SABba-ton, alLA kai paTEra Idi-on

*was** his own Father, making himself equal with :God.*

Ele-ge ton TheON, Ison he-auTON poi*O*N t*o* The*O*.

 k. 5:19 JESUS JUSTIFIES HIMSELF

*:Jesus therefore answered and said to them,*

A-peKRIna-to oun ho I*e*SOUS kai Ele-gen auTOIS,

*Amen, Amen, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself,*

A-M*E*N, aM*E*N, LEg*o* huMIN, ou DUna-tai ho huiOS poiEIN aph' he-auTOU
ouDEN,

*but what he sees the Father doing:*

an M*E* ti BLEp*e* ton paTEra poiOUNta:

*for whatever things HE does, these the Son also does likewise.*

ha gar an eKEInos poi*E*, TAUta kai ho huiOS hoMOI*o*s [3668] poiEI.

 l. 5:20 HE EXPLAINS YET MORE CLEARLY

*For the Father loves the Son, and shows him all things that himself does:*

ho gar paT*E*R phiLEI [5280] ton huiON, kai PANta DEIKnu-sin [1166]
auT*O*ha auTOS poiEI:

*and greater works than these will he show him, that YOU may marvel.*

kai MEIzo-na [3187] TOUt*o*n DEIxei auT*O* ERga, HIna huMEIS thauMAz*e*-te
[2296].

 m. 5:21 AS THE FATHER - SO THE SON

*For just as the Father raises the dead and makes alive, *

H*O*sper gar ho paT*E*R eGEIrei tous neKROUS kai z*o*-o-poiEI,

*thus the Son also makes alive whom he will.*

HOUt*o*s kai ho huiOS hous THElei z*o*-o-poiEI.

 n. 5:22-23a FATHER'S GIFT OF JUDGMENT TO THE SON

*For neither does the Father judge any one, but has given all :judgment to
the Son;*

ouDE gar ho paT*E*R kriNEI [2919] ouDEna, alLA t*e*n KRIsin [2920] PAsan DEd
*o*-ken t*o* hui*O*;

23a* that all may honor the Son, even as they honor the Father.*

HIna PANtes tiM*O*si [5091] ton huiON, kaTH*O*S tiM*O*si ton paTEra.

 o. 5:23b * Who honors not the Son honors not the Father that sent him.*

ho m*e* tiM*O*N ton huiON ou tiMA ton paTEra ton PEMpsan-ta auTON.

 p. 5:24 THE BELIEVER'S HAPPY STATE

*Amen, Amen, I say unto you [that],*

A-M*E*N, aM*E*N, LEg*o* huMIN [HOti],

*who hears my :word, and believes him that sent me,*

ho ton LOgon mou aKOU*o*n, kai piSTEU*o*n t*o* PEMpsanTI me,

*has eternal life, and comes not into judgment,*

Echei z*o*-*E*N ai*O*ni-on, kai eis KRIsin ouk ERche-tai,

*but has passed out of :death into :life.*

alLA me-taBEb*e*-ken ek tou thaNAtou eis t*e*n z*o*-*E*N.

 q. 5:25 A PROPHETIC WORD

*Amen, Amen, I say unto you, that an hour comes, and now is,*

aM*E*N, aM*E*N, leG*O* huMIN, HOti ERche-tai H*O*ra, kai NUN es-tin,

*when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of :God, and who hear shall
live.*

HOte hoi neKROI aKOUsou-sin t*e* ph*o*N*E*S tou huiOU tou TheOU, kai hoi
aKOUsan-tes Z*E*sou-sin*.*

 r. 5:26-27 THE FATHER'S FULLER GIFT TO THE SON

*For just as the Father has life in himself, *

H*O*Sper gar ho paT*E*R Echei z*o*-*E*N en he-auT*O*,

*thus gave he to the Son also to have life in himself:*

HOUt*o*s kai t*o* hui*O* Ed*o*-ken z*o*-*E*N Echein en he-auT*O*:

27* and he gave him authority to pass judgment, because he is Son of man.*

kai e-xouSIan [1849] Ed*o*-ken auT*O* KRIsin poiEIN, HOti huiOS anTHR*O*pou
esTIN.

 s. 5:28-29 THE RESURRECTION

*Marvel not at this: for the hour comes,*

m*e* thauMAze-te [2296] TOUto: HOti ERche-tai H*O*ra,

*in which all they in the tombs shall hear his :voice,*

en h*e* PANtes hoi en tois mn*e*MEIois [3419] aKOUsou-sin t*e*s ph*o*N*E*S
auTOU,

29* and shall come forth; who have done the good things,*

kai ek-poREUson-tai [1607]; hoi ta a-gaTHA poi*E*san-tes,

*unto resurrection of life; who have practiced the evil things, unto
resurrection of judgment.*

eis aNAsta-sin [386] z*o*-*E*S; hoi ta PHAUla [5337] PRAxan-tes [4238], eis
aNAsta-sein KRIse-*o*s.

 t. 5:30 THE SON: A PERFECT SERVANT TO THE FATHER

*I can of myself do nothing: as I hear, I judge:*

Ou DUna-mai eG*O* poiEIN ap' e-mauTOU ouDEN: kaTH*O*S aKOU*o*, KRIn*o*:

*and :my :judgment is righteous;*

kai h*e* KRIsis h*e* eM*E* diKAIa esTIN;

*because I seek not MY :will, but the will of him that sent me.*

HOti ou z*e*T*O* to THEl*e*-ma to eMON, alLA to THEl*e*-ma tou PEMpsanTOS
me.

 *NOTE**: *In the Spring of 1945 I was drafted from HMCS Naden near
Victoria, BC, to HMCS Cornwallis, near Digby, Nova Scotia. There as a
sailor I met an Anglican clergyman who discovered I had recently become a
Christian believer. He asked me what I found most challenging in the New
Testament. I told him - “The epistles of Paul, especially that of Romans.”
He replied, “Son, I urge you to spend *much* time in the Gospels. Learn the
direct words of Jesus. See and meditate on what He has said. You will then
find that your Christian life will become solidly based. Then go on to the
epistles.”

 When one reads the passage of John 5:1-30 above, it is easy to see the
wisdom of my clergyman friend, who counseled me. What a joy it has been -
preparing the Interlinear Greek NT on the Gospel of John. I will then go to
Matthew, Mark and Luke, which for me will complete this wonderful and
blessed assignment from the Lord.

 John is the spiritual Gospel of the Son of God, with the perspective of
the eyesight of an eagle.

 Matthew describes Jesus as the Lion of the Tribe of Judah, the Gospel with
so many quotations from the OT, that it especially appeals to Jews.

 Mark is the Gospel of Jesus as the Son of Man and servant of the Father,
and appeals to the Roman type of character. Here He is symbolized as a
servant by the “ox”.

 Luke is the Gospel of the Son of Man, with a special regard for women, and
appeals to the Greek type of mind.

 How wise God was to have 4 different types of men record the earthly life
of His only begotten Son - in whom He was *well-pleased*! Luke was a Greek
convert to Christianity, and a part of the One New Man.

 The section of John above shows the increasing animosity of the Jewish
religious leaders of that day to Jesus, who so clearly refuted their
traditions that made void the Word of God, - and who despised the needs of
the common people. American political leaders would do well to look into
this Gospel, and see how they make void the wisdom of our early Founding
Fathers, and how they arrogantly fail to listen to the cries of the hurting
common people.

 Just see how the healing of this lame man by Jesus on the Sabbath, brought
such unjustified criticism upon Him, and showed such little compassion for
the poor healed man.

 Nothing Jesus said really got through to these blind and biased leaders,
who had forgotten the real call of God upon them from the beginning of
their nation.

 The lessons of this passage are innumerable. Let us read and meditate upon
the sentences and subdivisions. Truly the Spirit *will* speak to our
spirits, and illuminate our hearts and minds.

 Some have asked: What Greek text do you use in this Interlinear? It is not
the Textus Receptus, Westcott & Hort, or any other of the 6 major Greek
manuscripts. It is the Bible Numeric Greek text produced by Ivan Panin
beginning in 1890 and completed approximately 1940, 2 years before his
death. He spent 50 years and 100,000 hours through Bible Numerics in
perfecting a Greek text the same as the original - no copy. God also
allowed Ivan Panin to discover through Bible Numerics the sentence and
paragraph structure of the NT, which I have used in outlining the entire “*
Outlined* Interlinear NT”, using both his Greek and English texts.

 To understand the marvel of Bible Numerics that God worked into His Bible
4000 years ago in Hebrew; and 3000 years ago in Greek; turn to our Website *
<www.2rbetter.org>* and click on “Archives”. Then scroll down to 2011-01-02
“Cutting Edge Ministries on Panin”. Here you will find a challenging, brief
historical account of the remarkable discoveries of Ivan Panin. - J.A.Watt