Family Tree Significance 2-fold

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 11:45:32 PST 2012

March 8, 2012

 BRITISH COLUMBIA FROM THE EARLIEST TIMES TO THE PRESENT
BIOGRAPHICAL VOLUME III
THE S. J. CLARKE PUBLISHING COMPANY VANCOUVER PORTLAND SAN FRANCISCO
CHICAGO 1914
BIOGRAPHICAL - GEORGE ROBERTSON GORDON.
George Robertson Gordon, financial agent at Vancouver, devoting his
time largely to his duties as executor of several estates and also to
the handling of private interests, was born at Goderich, Ontario,
September 1, 1861. His par- ents, James and Mary Ann (Gordon) Gordon,
were both natives of Ireland, the former born in County Fermanagh and
the latter in County Armagh. The father learned the carpenter's trade
there and in 1855 crossed the Atlantic to the new world, becoming a
resident of Goderich, Ontario, where for thirty-five years he
conducted business as a contractor. He filled the offices of town
assessor and building inspector for a number of years and passed away
in Gode- rich in 1892, at the age of sixty-seven years. His wife
arrived in Canada in early womanhood and they were married in
Hamilton. She passed away a number of years before her husband, dying
in 1875, at tne age of forty-two.
At the usual age George R. Gordon began his education as a
public-school student in his native city and passed through
consecutive grades to the high school, from which he was graduated
before entering mercantile circles in 1876, at the age of fifteen. He
was first employed as a clerk in a general store in his home town,
spending his time in that way until 1881, when he removed west- ward
to Manitoba. Owing to ill health while in that province, he soon
returned to the east and remained in Ontario until 1884, when he
located at Spences Bridge, British Columbia, remaining there for a
year. In 1885 he embarked in merchandising at North Bend, British
Columbia, in partnership with E. Johnston, but in the spring of 1886
sold out to his partner and came to Van- couver, which was then a
small and unimportant town, known as Granville. Here he has resided
continuously since and with the growth of the city has been closely
associated, watching its development from early days and taking active
part in its progress. He began merchandising here in March, 1886, but
was burned out by the fire which occurred on the I3th of June of that
year. Nothing daunted by this calamity, however, he secured another
stock of goods and was soon again engaged in business, in which he
continued until 1900, winning a sub- stantial measure of success
through all the intervening years, for his trade increased with the
growth of the city, his straightforward and honorable busi- ness
methods securing him a gratifying patronage. With the opening year of
the century he closed out his business and turned his attention to
other pursuits becoming secretary of the Terminal City Building
Society, the City of Vancouver Building Society and the Burrard
Building Society, the last named being the only one of the three now
in existence. He resigned his position as secretary in 1911 and at the
present time is executor of several estates, while his private
interests also make large claim upon his attention and energies. He is
the holder of much valuable business and residential property in
Vancouver and is the owner of a fine farm of one hundred and twelve
acres at Langley, British Columbia, which is devoted to the production
of fruit, the raising of stock and poultry and to dairy interests,
each branch of the business bringing to him a substantial return. His
has been a life of unfaltering energy and close application, in which
there have been few leisure hours, and his wise utilization of his
time and talents has brought him to a most creditable and gratifying
position among the leading busi- ness men of the city.
Mr. Gordon was married, in Clinton, on Cariboo road, British Columbia,
October 18, 1887, to Miss Susan E. Mclntyre, a daughter of John and
Anna (Kilpatrick) Mclntyre, both of whom were natives of Stewartstown,
Ireland. The father died in Vancouver in June, 1900, at the age of
eighty-three years, and Mrs. Mclntyre is still a resident of this
city. Although now in her eightieth year, she is still hale and
hearty, retains her faculties unimpaired and is as alert and active as
a person many years her junior. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Gordon have been
born two children: Irmgarde, who is a graduate of the Vancouver high
school and the Ontario Ladies College of Whitby; and Alva Mclntyre,
who is a student at McGill University.
Mr. Gordon is a conservative in politics and has been an active and
stalwart advocate of party principles. He has voted in every municipal
election ever held in Vancouver and for nine years he was a member of
the school board of this city. He became one of the founders of the
Pioneer Society of Vancouver, of which he is now serving as treasurer,
and no man is more familiar with the history of development, progress
and improvement here than he. He holds mem- bership in Pacific Lodge,
No. 26, I. O. O. F., in which he has passed through all the chairs,
and was grand representative to the sovereign grand lodge in 1902-03.
He is prominent and popular in the club circles of the city, connected
through membership with the Canadian and Progress Clubs. Both he and
his wife are active and prominent members of Wesley Methodist church
and take helpful interest in various lines of church and charitable
work. Mr. Gordon is now serv- ing as a member of the board of trustees
of the Ferris Road, Trinity and Dundee Street Methodist churches. His
wife is active in the Ladies Aid Socety of the Wesley Methodist
church, has been a member of the directorate of the Children's Aid
Society for six years and is active in the home work of that
organization. In fact, both Mr. and Mrs. Gordon are possessors in
large measure of that broad humanitarian spirit which reaches out in
helpfulness and kindliness to all, and their labors have done much
toward making the world better and brighter for the unfortunate ones.

 (This is the first of some 200 biographies from the beginning of British
Columbia)

 *NOTE**: *The above on George R. Gordon is an important link in my
personal genealogy. Can knowing links in each of our genealogies prove to
be significant? I believe so.

 The English doctor who nursed Scottish Eric Liddell of “Chariots of Fire”
fame - in a Japanese prison of war camp in China before he died - I believe
has significance. Billy Graham in his book on prayer, quoted from “Healing
the Family Tree” by Dr. Kenneth McAll - as his story relates to the healing
of the Bermuda Triangle.

 But in a practical manner for each of us as individuals - Dr. McAll shows
that if each of us will form a “Family Tree” going back to our great
grandparents - we can clearly see how members in this genealogy can be
affected adversely back to great grandparents. When we form such a 4-fold
genealogical chart and see such adverse connections - we can then have a
communion service - and with such a Family Tree portraying this on the
Table, then by the prayer of faith on the basis of our Lord Jesus' Finished
Work on Calvary - we can *break* the bondages over afflicted members from
the past!

 Like Dr. McAll - we have seen definite victories from such “Healing of the
family tree”.

 But *conversely* - it is also important to see the *blessing* coming down
from past members of our family Tree! Jonathan Edwards was by faith led to
claim through “Covenant” - salvation for his descendants to the 3rd
and 4thgenerations. Some 1600 of these entered into the blessing of
the Kingdom of
God through Covenant. Charles H. Spurgeon saw similar blessing in his
descendants as well as those working for him - some 300.

 My grandfather James A. Watt who immigrated to Canada from Scotland, died
in B.C. His widow, my Irish grandmother, married fellow Irishman immigrant
to Canada - G. R. Gordon. He was at that time widower from his first
marriage. He was the first one who served Gospel seed into me from the age
of 10-14. He did not do so verbally, but each month when we lived on his
farm in Langley mentioned above, he brought out for 4 years little 32 page
booklets called the “Lily Series”, recounting the salvation of individuals
in England. These sparked a desire in my heart to know God the way these
English converts came to know Him. Mr. Gordon followed these up with the
book “*Intra Muros*” by Agnes R. Springer. This even more powerfully
planted the desire in me to know the Living God!

 In the Fall of 1942 I was attending the University of B.C., and for the
first time in my life at the age of 19, God spoke to me from Psalm
107:23-24. He said, “Join the Navy, and I'll reveal Myself to you.” He *knew
* the desire of my heart planted there by my step-grandfather Mr. Gordon.

 I did so in July of 1943, and on Passover of 1944 - 9 months later, God
brought to fruition the seed my step-grandfather planted in me.

 Do I believe in this 2-fold benefit of making use of our Family Trees?
Indeed I do! And I encourage each of you - Explore the possibility of
potential blessing - by forming a genealogy back to your fourth generation.
Claim healing for every living individual in this tree - who may be
suffering from a wrong inheritance from one or more past members.

 But - most of all and positively - find individuals on your part who have
powerfully brought down to your spirit blessings untold!

 Your friend - Jim Watt