APR 14 - Acts 9 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 09:23:51 PST 2012

*Web: www.2rbetter.org

*January 14, 2012*

*APR 14 - ACTS 9 - CHURCH: PAUL AND PETER*

 *1. 9:1-2 SAUL: HIS FORMER LIFE. “But Saul, yet breathing threatening and
slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest,
2 andasked him for letters to :Damascus unto the synagogues; so that
if he found
any that were of the Way, whether men or women, he might bring them bound
to Jerusalem.” *This is not the Kingdom of God: this is the kingdom of
Satan! But *Your* Kingdom is *greater*, Father; You can reverse this
situation! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 9:5-6 (9:3-9) SAUL: HIS CONVERSION. “And he said, Who are you, Lord?
And he said, I am Jesus whom you persecute: 6 but rise, and enter into the
city, and it shall be told you what you must do.” *What a dramatic
confrontation! Your resurrected and ascended Son Father, appeared in Glory
to convert this wayward Saul. What an immediate change! *Your :kingdom come!
*

 *3. 9:15-16 (9:10-19a) SAUL: A DOUBLE BAPTISM. “But the Lord said unto him
Go: for HE is a chosen vessel to me, to bear my :name both before the
Gentiles and kings, and the sons of Israel: 16 for I will show him how many
things he must suffer for my :name.” *Father You have servants on earth for
special tasks, and to do Your will. Saul is a special one in this category!
*Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 9:20, 22 (9:19b-30) SAUL: PROOFS OF GENUINE CONVERSION. “And
straightway in the synagogues he proclaimed :Jesus, that this is the Son of
:God. 22 But Saul increased the more in strength, and confounded the Jews
that dwelt at Damascus, proving this this is the Christ.” *Surely none
could doubt the genuine conversion of Saul! What a miracle! Father, forgive
us that we so often doubt Your ability to convert the most difficult. *Our
:daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 9:31 THE CHURCH: ITS STATE. “The church therefore throughout all
:Judea and Galilee and Samaria had peace, being edified; and, walking in
the fear of the Lord and the comfort of the Holy Spirit, was multiplied.” *We
can understand this peace! With Saul converted, the church's chief
persecutor was now on their side. Father, You can do *all* things! Blessed
be Your Name! *And forgive us our :debt, As we also have forgiven our
:debtors.*

 *6. 9:34-35 (9:32-35) PETER: RESULTS OF HEALING OF AENEAS. “And Peter said
to him, Aeneas, Jesus Christ heals you: arise, and make your bed. And
straightway he arose. 35 And all that dwelt at Lydda and in :Sharon saw
him, and they turned to the Lord. *How dramatic this healing: a whole town
converted! How rapidly You turn about situations, Father! Yes, our faith is
strengthened by Your doings! *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 9:40 (9:36-43) PETER: RESULTS FROM RESURRECTION OF DORCAS. “But :Peter
put all out, and knelt and prayed; and turning to the body said, Tabeitha,
arise. And SHE opened her :eyes; and seeing :Peter sat up.” *There is no
doubt that signs and wonders are a means of turning many to the Lord!
Father, we magnify You for Your might! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 9:27 (9:19b-30) SAUL: DOORS OPENED BY BARNABAS. “But Barnabas
took **and brought him unto the apostles, and rehearsed to them how he had
seen the Lord in the way, and that he had spoken to him, and how at
Damascus he had done boldly in the name of Jesus.” *Thank God for Barnabas!
Father, we thank You that You have among Your servants catalysts, who bring
together those who need to be jointed!

 *ROOTS - A DAVID L. WOLPER PRODUCTION - 4 DISC DVD*

*30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION*

 *EXTRAORDINARY. WE ARE WATCHING MORE THAN A DRAMA. WE ARE WITNESSING AN
EXPERIENCE.*

 *His name was Kunta Kinte. Kidnapped from Africa and enslaved in America
in 1767. He refused to accept his slave name of Toby. Heirs kept his heroic
defiance alive, passing on his tale across generations until it reached a
young boy growing up in Tennessee. His name was Alex Haley. Through the
lineage of one family, Haley and his Pulitzer Prize-winning ROOTS told a
story for all America and the world. Seen by 130 million viewers during its
premiere telecasts and the winner of dozens of awards, the David L. Wolper
production remains an engrossing entertainment 30 years later. Embark on an
engrossing unforgettable DVD journey.*

 *EPISODE 1 in Gambia, West Africa, Kunta Kinte son of Omoro and Binta,
distinguished himself in manhood training rituals. But he does not enjoy
his new status long: slave traders sweeping the countryside seize him.
Chained with other captive, Kunta begins an agonized odyssey to the New
World.*

 *EPISODE 2. Despite a violent rebellion, the slave ship Lord Ligonier
completes its voyage and Kunta Kinte endures the indignity of an Annapolis
slave auction. Fiddler, the slave in charge of Kunta's training, becomes
his only friend - a friendship that's tested when Kunta plans an escape so
he can be with Fanta.*

 *EPISODE 3. In 1776, a nation fights for freedom ... but not for all.
Kunta Kinte escapes again and is crippled by slave catchers. He marries,
gains a daughter and loses his long-time friend Fiddler. Another chance for
escape arises, but Kunta sacrifices it to care for his wife and the newborn
he names Kizzy, an African word for “stay put.”*

 *EPISODE 4. At age 16, Kizzy is sold and bears her new master's son, who
grows up to become fun-loving Chicken George. Yearning to see her parents,
Kizzy is comforted by Samuel Bennett, but they are ill-matched. When she
returns to her birthplace, Kizzy learns of her parents' fates.*

 *EPISODE 5. Chicken George is sent to England as payment for his owner's
gambling debt. Fourteen years later, he returns home a free man, a status
that has a profound effect on the family begun by Kunta Kinte. The Civil
War erupts; at last the era of slavery draws to an end.*

 *EPISODE 6. The Civil War is over but night riders terrorize ex-slaves. By
marking his clients' horseshoes, Tom identifies the raiders but endangers
his own life. Chicken George, who fought for the Union, rejoins his family.
He leads them to a new home in Tennessee.*

 *DISC 4 - 2007 DOCUMENTARY - CROSSING OVER: HOW ROOTS CAPTIVATED AN ENTIRE
NATION.*

*Alex Haley's son William Haley and LeVar Burton join the historians and
creators of ROOTS in assessing the impact of the book and miniseries on
culture and society over the past 30 years*

 *During commentaries, you may select the video option to view the
recording sessions.*

 *Our Psalm for the day: 104:24-25 (104:1-36) “O LORD, how manifold are
your works! In wisdom have you made them all; the earth is full of your
creatures. 25 Here is the sea, great and wide, which teems with creatures
innumerable living things both small and great” (ESV). *Your *works*, O
Jehovah Father, are past finding out! You do all things well. Among living
creatures, You make all things both small and great. There is none other
like You. *Hallowed be Your :Name!*