Deuteronomy 1-4 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 09:00:02 PST 2011

December 31, 2011

 *APRIL 3 - DEUTERONOMY 1-4 - REHEARSAL OF GOD'S DEALINGS*

 *1. 1:3 (1:1-5) INTRODUCTION TO DEUTERONOMY. “In the fortieth year, on the
first day of the eleventh month, Moses spoke to the people of Israel
according to all that the LORD had given him in commandment to them” (ESV).
*Here Father, You chose Moses to give the law a second time to the new
generation of warring men. Now *they* need to hear what their fathers
heard, but failed to walk in. These are Your Kingdom principles. *Hallowed
be your :Name!*

 *2. 1:15 (1:6-46) SINAI TO KADESH: JOURNEY RETOLD. “So I took the heads of
your tribes, wise and experienced men, and set them as heads over you,
commanders of thousands, commanders of hundreds, commanders of fifties,
commanders of tens, and officers, throughout your tribes.” *Here is wisdom
indeed Father, given by You through Jethro, Moses' father in law! But how
rebellious were the spies and the first generation out of Egypt: Egypt
was *still
in them*! O forgive us for a like spirit of rebellion and complacency. *Your
:kingdom come!*

 *3. 2:14 (2:1-3:11) FORTY YEARS WANDERING RETOLD. “And the time from our
leaving Kadesh-barnea until we crossed the brook Zered was thirty-eight
years, until the entire generation, that is, the men of war, had perished
from the camp, as the LORD had sworn to them.'” *Now it was the new
generation that defeated Sion king of Heshbon, and Og king of Bashan, giant
Amorite kings! Wilderness wandering is now behind: The Promised Land is at
hand! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 3:18 (3:12-20) DIVISION OF LAND: EAST OF JORDAN. “And I commanded you
at that time, saying, 'The LORD your God has given you this land to
possess. All your men of valor shall cross over armed before your brothers,
the people of Israel.” *How wise Your ways, Father! You granted East Jordan
to the 2 ½ tribes, yet they were the first to go into captivity! Lot chose
the same area, and also lost all! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 3:28 (3:21-29) JOSHUA REPLACES MOSES. “But charge Joshua, and
encourage and strengthen him, for he shall go over at the head of this
people, and he shall put them in possession of the land that you shall
see.” *Thank You Father, that Joshua was willing to give service to the
people, to make them overcomers in return for Leadership Privilege. *And
forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 4:6 (4:1-43) WARNINGS AND CHARGES: FOR NEW GENERATION. “Keep them and
do them, for that will be wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the
peoples, who, when they hear all these statutes, will say, 'Surely this
great nation is a wise and understanding people.'” *The making of idols and
graven images: an *abomination* to Jehovah! Father, we honor Your desires.
We honor Your word for Your people, and covenant to walk in Your statutes.
We tremble at Your Word, and desire a poor and *contrite* spirit (Isaiah
66:2). *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 4:44-45 (4:44-49) MOSAIC LAW: FOR NEW GENERATION. “This is the law
that Moses set before the people of Israel. 45 These are the testimonies,
the statutes, and the rules, which Moses spoke to the people of Israel when
they came out of Egypt.” *The Law (Torah) was given East of Jordan. Its
testimonies, statutes and judgments are our wisdom! The New Covenant
provides for the spirit of the *Torah* to be written on our hearts by Your
Spirit, Father! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 4:13 (4:1-43) THE LAW = 10 WORDS! “And he declared to you **his
covenant, which he commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments.”
*In this verse we learn that God's Covenant here, the Mosaic Covenant is
encapsulated in the “10 words,” which we call the “10 Commandments.”
According to Jewish interpretation, the first “word” is Exodus 20:2 - *“I
am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, our of the
house of slavery.” * This is correct according to the custom of a “Covenant
Document.” What the church calls the first and second commandment, is
really the Second Word or Commandment. Catholics split the 10th Word on
“Coveting” and omit the commandment concerning Graven Images. This as
“adding to” and “taking away” from the Word of God!

 It is in Exodus 18 that Jethro - father in law to Moses - gave him advice
how to share his heavy burden of counseling problems with the people of
Israel. Some feel Moses took wrong advice at this point. But Jethro added -
“Do this *only* if God confirms it!” God evidently confirmed it, for here
in Deuteronomy 1:15, Moses recounts how he did the very thing Jethro in
line with the LORD - had counseled!

 Our Psalm for the day: *93:5 (93:1-5) THE LORD REIGNS! “Your decrees are
very trustworthy; holiness befits your house, O LORD, forevermore.” *We are
Your house, Father! You who are holy; You who indwells us in Your Son:
*You*cause us to be holy! You lead us in the paths of righteousness
for Your
Name's Sake! We would be conformed to the likeness of Your Son! *Hallowed
be your :name!*