1 John 2:18-29

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 10:50:09 PST 2011

December 12, 2011

 *(From: 1 JOHN #3 - 2:18-29)*

 *II. 2:18-29 – MAINTENANCE OF DIVINE FELLOWSHIP*

*1. 2:18-21 BEWARE OF ANTICHRISTS*

*a. 2:18 SPIRIT OF ANTICHRIST REVEALS THE LAST TIME*

*Little children, **it** is **the** last hour: and as you heard that
antichrist comes,*

PaiDIa [3813], esCHAt*e* H*O*ra esTIN: kai kaTH*O*S *e*KOUsa-te hoTI
anTIchris-tos [500] ERche-tai,

*even now have many antichrists arisen: whereby we know that **it** is **the
** last hour.*

kai nun anTIchris-toi polLOI geGOna-sin: HOthen giN*O*Sko-men HOti esCHAt*e*H
*O*ra [5610] esTIN.

 *b. 2:19 SPIRIT OF ANTICHRIST MANIFESTED BY DEPARTURE*

*They went out from us, but were not of us; for if they had been of us,*

ex h*e*M*O*N eX*E*Lthan, all’ ouk *E*san ex h*e*M*O*N; ei gar ex h*e*M*O*N *
E*san,

*they would have continued with us: but **they went out,*

me-meN*E*kei-san [3306] an meth’ h*e*M*O*N: all’,

*that they might be made manifest that not all are of us.*

HIna pha-ne-r*o*TH*O*sin [5319] HOti ouk eiSIN PANtes ex h*e*M*O*N.

 *c. 2:20-21 PURPOSE OF ANOINTING: TO DISCERN TRUTH AND ERROR*

*And you have an anointing from the Holy **One**, you all know*

kai huMEIS CHRISma [5545] Eche-te aPO tou haGIou [40], OIda-te PANtes

*21 -** I have not written to you because you know not the truth,*

- ouk Egra-psa huMIN HOti ouk OIda-te t*e*n aL*E*thei-an [225],

*but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth.*

all’ HOti OIda-te auT*E*N, kai HOti pan PSEUdos [5579] ek t*e*s a-l*e*THEIas
ouk EStin.

 *2. 2:22-25 BELIEVE THE TRUE CHRIST*

*a. 2:22a Who is the liar but who denies that Jesus is the Christ?*

TIS es-tin ho PSEUst*e*s ei m*e* ho arNOUme-nos [720] HOti I*e*SOUS ouk
EStin ho ChrisTOS?

 *b. 2:22b This is the antichrist, even who denies the Father and the Son.*

HOU-TOS es-tin ho anTIchris-tos, ho arNOUme-nos ton paTEra kai ton huiON.

 *c. 2:23 NOTE: TO REJECT SON IS TO LOSE THE FATHER!*

*Whoever denies the Son, has not the Father either;*

pas ho arNOUme-nos ton huiON, ouDE ton paTEra Echei;

*who confesses the Son has the Father also.*

ho ho-mo-loG*O*N [3671] ton huiON kai ton paTEra Echei.

 *d. 2:24a Let what YOU heard from the beginning abide in you.*

HuMEIS ho *e*KOUsa-te ap’ arCH*E*S en huMIN meNEt*o* [3306].

 *e. 2:24b ABIDING IN SON AND FATHER: REWARD OF KEEPING THE LOGOS*

*If what you heard from **the** beginning abide in you,*

eAN en huMIN MEIn*e* ho ap’ arCH*E*S *e*KOUsa-te,

*YOU also shall abide in the Son, and in the Father.*

kai huMEIS en t*o* hui*O*, kai en t*o* paTRI meNEIte.

 *f. 2:25 RESULT: ETERNAL LIFE*

*And this is the promise which himself promised us, the life :eternal.*

kai HAUt*e* esTIN h*e* e-pag-geLIa h*e*n auTOS e-p*e*gGEIla-to h*e*MIN, t*e*n
z*o*-*E*N [2222] t*e*n ai*O*ni-on.

 *3. 2:26-29 BE FILLED WITH GOD*

*a. 2:26 These things have I written you concerning those deceiving you.*

TAUta Egra-psa huMIN peRI t*o*n plaN*O*Nt*o*n [4105] huMAS.

 *b. 2:27 PURPOSE OF THE ANOINTING: SPECIALIZED TEACHING*

*And the anointing which YOU received of him abides in you,*

kai huMEIS to CHRISma ho eLAbe-te ap’ auTOU MEnei en huMIN,

*and you have no need that one teach you;*

kai ou CHREIan Eche-te HIna tis diDASk*e* [1321] huMAS;

*but as his :anointing teaches you concerning all things,*

all’ h*o*s to auTOU CHRISma diDASkei huMAS peRI PANt*o*n,

*and is true, and is no lie, and even as it taught you, abide in him.*

kai a-l*e*THES es-tin, kai ouk EStin PSEUdos, kai kaTH*O*S eDIda-xen huMAS,
MEne-te en auT*O*.

 *c. 2:28 PURPOSE OF ABIDING: NO SHAME AT HIS PRESENCE*

*And now, little children, abide in him; that, if he be manifested, we may
have boldness,*

kai nun, tekNIa, MEne-te en auT*O*; HIna, eAN pha-ne-r*o*TH*E*, SCH*O*men
[2192] par-r*e*SIan [3954],

*and be not shamed from him at his :presence.*

kai m*e* ai-schunTH*O*men [153] ap’ auTOU en t*e* pa-rouSIa [3952] auTOU.

 *d. 2:29 A PROOF OF THE NEW BIRTH: A DOER OF RIGHTEOUSNESS*

*If you know that he is righteous, know that every one*

eAN eiD*E*-te HOti DIkaiOS [1342] es-tin, giN*O*Ske-te HOti pas

*that does :righteousness is begotten of him.*

ho poi*O*N t*e*n di-kai-oSUn*e*n ex auTOU geGENn*e*-tai [1080].

 *NOTE:** *Jesus talks about Gehenna and Sheol more than any other of His
disciples. But John here, the closest to Jesus of His original 12
disciples, is very clear in his warning about antichrists and the
antichrist spirit.

 It is interesting to note that John again in the book of Revelation talks
about the antichrist. But *here* he gives another way to identify him
(Revelation 13:16-18). His name will be the *number* of a man -- 666!

 Shortly after his conversion in Boston in the late 1800’s, Ivan Panin came
across this passage. In his confusion he contacted a Presbyterian minister
with his problem. Here is the answer that he got.

 “What you have come across, Mr. Panin, points up the uniqueness of God’s
Bible. God chose the two languages of the world to have 33 known writers
write its 66 books. These two languages have no numerical equivalents. We
use Latin letters and Arabic numbers. The Romans used Latin letters and
Roman numerals. But not so the Hebrews and Greeks! They used their
alphabets, put a tick beside each letter and gave it an arbitrary numerical
equivalent. So then alpha, beta, gamma and delta in the Greek becomes 1, 2,
3, 4 – and omega became 800.

 “In the Hebrew: aleph, beit, gimel, daleth - become 1, 2, 3, 4 and Tov is
400.

 “When the antichrist is born and comes on the scene, his name in Greek
when transposed in the equivalent numbers, will add up to 666.”

 That seemed to make sense to Panin, so he asked next - “Then what is Jesus
in its numerical equivalent in Greek?” The minister admitted he did not
know off-hand, but that it could easily be found out. I*e*SOUS in numerical
Greek is Iota l0; *E*ta 8; Sigma 200; Omicron 70; Upsilon 400; and Sigma
again 200 = 888!

 Ivan Panin was bitten and hooked. For the next 50 years and 100,000 hours
later, he counted numerical equivalents in Greek and Hebrew. Out of this
prodigious research, he produced a Greek New Testament with no alternate
readings - the same as the original. He produced an English translation of
this, and having discovered that Bible Numerics even established the
correct Book contexts of sentences, sub-divisions, paragraphs and sections
(somewhat equivalent to our chapter divisions); he added this feature to
the English translation.

 Next he found that with Bible evidence alone he could correctly deduce a
Bible Chronology of 245 dates from Adam to Christ's death, resurrection,
ascension and pouring out of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost.

 Then he applied Bible Numerics to this, and proved that the 245 dates
divided into 8 sections each ending with a covenant of blood, and gave
clear confirmation for accuracy on behalf of his deductions.

 So has the antichrist been revealed yet? No. Dr. Charles S. Price
fervently wished he could retract a book he wrote in his day identifying
whom he took to be the antichrist. His comment was: “Every time I find a
good antichrist, somebody ups and kills him!”

 In conclusion - consider what the apostle John says in the above section,
and compare it with his Revelation 13 passage. In the light of how this set
Panin into his main life's calling, you can then understand more clearly
the nature of the above passage of 1 John 2:18-29. The transliterated Greek
text is the product of his Numeric labors. The English translation is his
product from his Greek text. The outlining is based on his discovery from
his research on the Westcott and Hort Greek text.

 Jehovah Witnesses offered to produce an Interlinear Greek New Testament
based on his 2 texts for him before his death in 1942. Reluctantly he
refused their offer, because in his estimation he believed they were a cult.

 I trust that if Panin looks down from heaven, that he will be pleased and
accept the tens of thousands of hours of labor I have put into the
production of his labors - of which you have a portion before you now.

 I have reluctantly - but of necessity - noted that I have come across four
who have sought to help Panin with his work. Unfortunately they have very
badly represented the work of this great man. They have substituted their
own ideas and perverted his careful research. “Who needs enemies when they
have so-called friends?”

 I trust that Panin will not feel that way about my 64 years of labor on
his behalf, of which I believe was God's commission to me. J.A.Watt

 *P.S. 2011-12-15 - Very early this morning as I was meditating on the Word
of God - it came clearly to me that I need a clearer understanding of God's
thoughts. In 1944 & 1945 the Lord laid before me the possibility of an
Outlined Interlinear NT based on Panin's two Bible Numeric Greek and
English texts. Then in 1967 He said, “Get My NT done!” It is not Panin's
NT; and the Outlined Interlinear NT based on Panin's two texts is not mine!
It is all of God! It is God's “Outlined Interlinear NT!”*

 *And this accords with John 1:1 (1:1-18) - See it here from the Outlined
Interlinear perspective:*

*I. 1:1-2:11 JESUS COMMENCES HIS MIRACULOUS MINISTRY*

*A. 1:1-18 PURPOSE OF JESUS: TO REVEAL GOD TO MAN*

*1. 1:1 In the beginning the Word was, and the Word was with :God, and the
Word was God.*

En arCH*E* [746] *e*n ho LOgos [3056], kai ho LOgos *e*n pros ton TheON,
kai TheOS *e*n ho LOgos.

 *And God was the Word! Jesus is the Word (LOgos), and is Himself - God! So
Jesus and the Outlined Interlinear NT is ONE! My only goal and desire is to
make Him known through that which is one with Him - this “Outlined
Interlinear NT”! I have given myself to Him for my part in this commission.
I have friends who want to help my wife and family financially in this. To
this I am open for their sakes - but for me - just to see this in print for
Him is sufficient! And for the help He and His Word as One - will mean for
readers and students - will be sufficient! J.*