John 7:14-36

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 10:43:33 PST 2011

Dear Friends - 2011-12-15

The following section follows the 5th proof-reading before going to the
printers. Do you have any suggestions or comments? J.

 *(From: JOHN #17 - 7:14-36)*

 *B. 7:14-36 OPPOSITION INTENSIFIES AS JESUS DECLARES HIMSELF*

*1. 7:14-24 JESUS SCORES ON INCONSISTENCY OF ADVERSARIES*

*a. 7:14 But when it was now the midst of the feast Jesus went up into the
temple, and taught.*

*E*d*e* de t*e*s he-orT*E*S [1859] meSOUs*e*s aNEb*e* I*e*SOUS eis to
hi-eRON, kai eDIda-sken [1321].

 *b. 7:15 QUESTION OF THE JEWS *

*The Jews therefore marveled, saying, *

eTHAUma-zon oun hoi IouDAIoi, LEgon-tes,

*How does this man know letters, not having learned?*

P*o*s HOUtos GRAMma-ta OIden*,* m*e* me-ma-th*e*K*O*S [3129]?

 *c. 7:16 JESUS CLARIFIES THE TRUE SOURCE OF HIS TEACHING*

*Jesus therefore answered them, and said,*

a-peKRIth*e* oun auTOIS I*e*SOUS, kai EIpen,

*My :teaching is not mine, but his that sent me.*

H*e* eM*E* di-daCH*E* [1322] ouk es-tin eM*E*, alLA tou PEMpsanTOS me.

 *d. 7:17 CORRECTION BETWEEN PIETY AND KNOWLEDGE*

*If any wills to do his will, he shall know of the teaching,*

eAN tis THEl*e* [2309] to THEl*e*-ma [2307] auTOU poiEIN, GN*O*se-tai
[1097]peRI t
*e*s di-daCH*E*S,

*whether it is of :God, or whether I speak from myself.*

POte-ron ek tou TheOU es-tin, *e* eG*O* ap' e-mauTOU laL*O*.

 *e. 7:18 THE IDEAL - TO SPEAK AND REPRESENT ANOTHER*

*Who speaks from himself seeks this :own :glory:*

ho aph he-auTOU laL*O*N t*e*n DOxan t*e*n iDIan z*e*TEI:

*but who seeks the glory of him that sent him,*

ho de z*e*T*O*N t*e*n DOxan tou PAMpsan-tos auTON,

*the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.*

HOUtos a-l*e*TH*E*S es-tin, kai a-diKIa [93] en auT*O* ouk es-tin.

 *f. 7:19a Did not Moses give you the law, and none of you does the law?*

ou M*o*-uS*E*S Ed*o*-ken huMIN ton NOmon, kai ouDEIS ex huM*O*N poiEI ton
NOmon?

 *g. 7:19b **Why do you seek to kill me? *TI me z*e*TEIte a-pokTEInai [615]?

 *h. 7:20 The crowd answered, You have a demon: who seeks to kill you?*

a-peKRIth*e* ho OCHlos, DaiMOni-on [1140] Echeis: TIS se z*e*TEI
a-pokTEInai?

 *i. 7:21 Jesus answered and said to them, I did one work, and you all
marvel.*

a-peKRIth*e* I*e*SOUS kai EIpen auTOIS, Hen ERgon ePOI*e*-sa, kai PANtes
thauMAze-te.

 *j. 7:22 JESUS REASONS CONCERNING SABBATH BREAKING*

*Therefore Moses has given you :circumcision*

diA TOUto M*o*-uS*E*S DEd*o*-ken huMIN t*e*n pe-ri-toM*E*N [4061]

*(not that it is of :Moses but of the fathers); and on a sabbath you
circumcise a man.*

(ouch HOti ek tou M*o*SE*o*s esTIN all' ek t*o*n paTEr*o*n); kai en sabBAt*o
* pe-riTEMne-te ANthr*o*-pon.

 *k. 7:23 A CLEAR CONCLUSION*

*If the man receives circumcision on a sabbath,*

ei pe-ri-toM*E*N lamBAnei ho ANthr*o*-pos en sabBAt*o*,

*that the law of Moses be not broken; are you angry with me,*

HIna m*e* luTH*E* [3089] ho NOmos M*o*-uSE*o*s; eMOI choLAte [5520],

*because I made a man every whit whole on a sabbath?*

HOti HOlon ANthr*o*-pon hu-gi*E* [5199] ePOI*e*-sa en sabBAt*o*?

 *l. 7:24 Judge not according to appearance, but judge :righteous judgment.*

m*e* KRIne-te kat Opsin [3799], alLA t*e*n diKAIan KRIsin KRIne-te.

 *2. 7:25-31 MURDER-PLANS EMERGE AS JESUS REVEALS HIMSELF*

*a. 7:25 PUZZLEMENT OF CHRIST'S HEARERS*

*Some therefore of them of Jerusalem said, *

Ele-gon OUN ti-nes ek t*o*n Ie-ro-so-lu-meiT*O*N,

*Is not this he whom they seek to kill?*

Ouch HOU-TOS es-tin hon z*e*TOUsin a-pokTEInai?

 *b. 7:26a And see, he speaks openly, and they say nothing to him.*

kai Ide, par-r*e*SIa [3954] laLEI, kai ouDEN auT*O* LEgou-sin.

 *c. 7:26b Can it be that the rulers truly know that this is the Christ?*

M*E* po-te a-l*e*TH*O*S EGn*o*-san hoi ARchon-tes [758] HOti HOU-TOS es-tin
ho ChrisTOS?

 *d. 7:27 THE IGNORANCE OF CHRIST'S HEARERS*

*But we know this man from where he is:*

alLA TOUton OIda-men POthen esTIN:

*but when the Christ comes, no one knows from where he is.*

ho de ChrisTOS HOtan ERch*e*-tai, ouDEIS giN*O*skei POthen esTIN.

 *e. 7:28 JESUS REFERS BACK TO HIS FATHER'S COMMISSION*

*:Jesus therefore cried, teaching in the temple and saying,*

Ekra-xen oun en t*o* hi-eR*O* diDAsk*o*n ho I*e*SOUS kai LEg*o*n,

*You both know me, and know from where I am; and I am not come of myself,*

Ka' 'ME OIda-te, kai OIda-te POthen eiMI; kai ap' emauTOU ouk eL*E*lu-tha,

*but who sent me is true, whom you know not.*

all' EStin a-l*e*-thiNOS ho PEMpsas me, hon huMEIS ouk OIda-te.

 *f. 7:29 I know him; because I am from him, and HE sent me.*

eG*O* OIda auTON; HOti par' auTOU ei-mi, ka' 'KEI-NOS me aPEstei-len [649].

 *g. 7:30 JEWISH LEADERS WOULD ARREST JESUS*

*They sought therefore to take him: and no one laid :hand on him,*

E-Z*E*toun oun auTON piAsai [4084]: kai ouDEIS ePEba-len ep' auTON t*e*n
CHEIra,

*because his :hour was not yet come.*

HOti OUp*o* e-l*e*LUthei [2064] h*e* H*O*ra auTOU.

 *h. 7:31 JESUS' SIGNS CONVINCING THE CROWD*

*But of the crowd many believed unto him and said, When the Christ shall
come,*

ek tou OCHlou de polLOI ePIsteu-san eis auTON kai Ele-gon, Ho ChrisTOS
HOtan ELth*e*,

*will he do more signs than what this man has done?*

m*e* PLEIo-na [4119] s*e*MEIa [4592] poi*E*sei h*o*n HOUtos ePOI*e*-sen?

 *3. 7:32-36 PLOTS INCREASE AS JESUS ANSWERS THE PHARISEES*

*a. 7:32 CROWD'S BELIEF PRECIPITATES ACTION BY LEADERS*

*The Pharisees heard the crowd murmuring these things concerning him;*

*E*kou-san hoi Pha-riSAIoi tou OCHlou gogGUzon-tos [1111] peRI auTOU TAUta;

*and the chief priests,*

kai aPEstei-lan hoi ar-chi-eREIS [749],

*and the Pharisees sent officers to take him.*

kai hoi Phar-riSAIoi hu-p*e*REtas [5257] HIna piAs*o*-sin [4084] auTON.

 *b. 7:33 JESUS DOWN HERE BUT A SHORT TIME LONGER*

*:Jesus therefore said, *

EIpen oun ho I*e*SOUS,

*Yet a little time am I with you, and I go unto him that sent me.*

Eti CHROnon miKRON meth' huM*O*N ei-mi, kai huPAg*o* pros ton PEMpsanTA me*.
*

 *c. 7:34 You shall seek me, and shall not find me: and where I am, YOU
cannot come.*

z*e*T*E*seTE me, kai ouch heuR*E*seTE me: kai HOpou eiMI eG*O*, huMEIS ou
DUnas-the elTHEIN.

 *d. 7:35 THE DIASPORA - A POSSIBILITY?*

*The Jews therefore said among themselves,*

EIpon oun hoi IouDAIoi pros he-auTOUS,

*Where will this man go that WE shall not find him? will he go*

Pou HOUtos MELlei poREUes-thai HOti huMEIS ouch heuR*E*so-men auTON? m*e*eis t
*e*n

*unto the Dispersion among the Greeks, and teach the Greeks?*

di-as-poRAN [1290] t*o*n HelL*E*n*o*n MELlei poREUes-thai, kai diDAskein
tous HELl*e*-nas?

 *e. 7:36 CHRIST MAY BE SOUGHT TOO LATE*

*What is this :word that he said, You shall seek me,*

TIS es-tin ho LOgos HOUtos hon EIpe, Z*e*T*E*seTE me,

*and shall not find me; and where I am YOU cannot come?*

kai ouch heuR*E*seTE me; kai HOpou eiMI eG*O* huMEIS ou DUnas-the elTHEIN?

 *NOTE**: *Many of us have probably not heard of “Bill Borden of Yale '09”.
It was a biography written by an author chosen by Bill's mother following
his death at the age of 25. He was son and heir to the Borden Milk Company
- very wealthy, very talented, and completely sold out to the Lord. He was
studying Arabic in Egypt at the time of his death from “Encephalomyelitis”
(brain fever). He was previous to this planning to go as a missionary to
one of the most difficult Muslim fields in China, where he would then learn
Chinese on top of Arabic. Following his death, his will of hundreds of
thousands of dollars was released. It was so wisely written in endowments
to worthy world missions, that it was published on the front page of
leading newspapers of this nation.

 When C.T. Studd learned of his death, he traveled through the major
universities and seminaries of the US - telling of the life of Bill Borden,
and challenging men to rise up and take his place. 1000 young men responded!

 One of the favorite verses of Bill Borden was John 7:17 - *“If any will to
do His will, he shall know of the teaching, whether it is of God, or
whetherI speak from myself.”
* Bill led countless numbers of university students to the Lord on the
basis of reasoning from this verse.

 Jesus in His earthly life, did *not* speak from Himself. *Every* word He
spoke on earth, and *every* miracle He performed, *all* originated with His
Father. He was the *perfect* servant. Where the first Adam fell through
self-will - Jesus *not once* exercised His own will apart from His Father.
And He says to *us* - “*Follow Me!” *And Paul the apostle says - *“Follow
me, as I follow Christ!”*

 So - on earth - the words of Jesus so glorified the Father, that *“the
world hated Him because He witnessed of it, that its :**works** were evil!”
*This - they couldn't abide, and therefore plotted the death of the Son of
God, God's perfect servant, who the Father sent to the world to save us by
His Son's sacrificial death. *This* death fulfilled all the Levitical
sacrifices: the whole burnt offering (Holocaust)! the *sin offering*; the
trespass offering; the peace offering! *Jesus* on Calvary fulfilled them *
all* for you and me, that we might have plenteous Redemption, and
Reconciliation with God, as the lost Adamic race.

 Imagine - the religious leaders of Jesus' day accused Him of having a
demon, when they at the very time in their hearts were plotting to kill Him!

 Again - John 7:14-26 is full of absorbing lessons, that reading aloud,
praying over and meditating upon - will bring forth rich insights. J.A.Watt