Romans 1:1-17

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 17:06:14 PDT 2011

October 5, 2011

  *(From: ROMANS #1 - 1:1-17)*

 *ROMANS SUMMARY: GOD'S PLAN TO IMPART RIGHTEOUSNESS*

 *I. 1:1-4:25 LAW: DRIVES MAN TO RIGHTEOUSNESS THROUGH FAITH*

*A. 1:1-7 OUR RELATIONSHIP TO JESUS CHRIST*

*Paul, bondman of Jesus Christ, a called apostle,*

PAUlos, DOUlos [1401] I*e*SOU ChrisTOU, kl*e*TOS [2822] a-POsto-los [652],

*separated unto God's gospel,*

a-ph*o*-risMEnos [873] eis eu-agGEli-on [2098] TheOU,

*2 which he promised afore through his :prophets in the holy scriptures,*

ho pro-e-p*e*gGEIla-to [4279] diA t*o*n pro-ph*e*T*O*N [4396] auTOU en
graPHAIS haGIais,

*3 concerning his :Son,*

peRI tou huiOU auTOU,

*who came to be of David's seed according to the flesh,*

tou ge-noMEnou [1096] ek SPERma-tos [4690] DauID kaTA SARka,

*4 determined as the Son of God with power,*

tou ho-risTHENtos [3724] huiOU TheOU en duNAmei [1411],

*according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection of the dead:*

kaTA PNEUma ha-gi-*o*SUn*e*s [42], ex a-naSTAse-*o*s [386] neKR*O*N:

*even **Jesus Christ our :Lord, **5 through whom we received grace and
apostleship,*

I*e*SOU ChrisTOU tou KuRIou h*e*M*O*N, di' hou eLAbo-men CHArin kai
a-po-stoL*E*N,

*unto obedience of faith among all the nations, for his :name's sake;*

eis hu-po-ko*E*N [5218] PISte-*o*s en PAsin tois ETHne-sin [1484], huPER tou
oNOma-tos auTOU;

*6 among whom are you also Jesus Christ's called ones:*

en HOIS es-te kai huMEIS kl*e*TOI I*e*SOU ChrisTOU:

*7 to all that are in Rome, beloved of God, called saints:*

PAsin tois OUsin en 'R*O*m*e*, a-ga-p*e*TOIS TheOU, kl*e*TOIS haGIois:

*Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.*

CHAris huMIN kai eiR*E*n*e* aPO TheOU paTROS h*e*M*O*N kai KuRIou I*e*SOU
ChrisTOU.

 *B. 1:8-17 HOW THE GOSPEL CONFIRMS AND SAVES*

*1. 1:8-13 THE GOAL OF AN APOSTLE: CONFIRMATION OF DISCIPLES*

*a. 1:8 TRUE FAITH WILL PRODUCE A WITNESS*

*First, then, I thank my :God through Jesus Christ for you all,*

PR*O*ton, men, eu-cha-risT*O* t*o* The*O* mou diA I*e*SOU ChrisTOU peRI PANt
*o*n huM*O*N,

*that your :faith is being proclaimed throughout the whole world.*

HOti h*e* PIStis huM*O*N ka-tagGELle-tai [2605] en HOl*o* t*o* KOSm*o*.

 *b. 1:9-10 THE HEART OF AN APOSTLE: A DESIRE TO SHARE THE GOSPEL*

*For :God is my witness,*

MARtus gar mou esTIN ho TheOS,

*whom I serve in my :spirit in the gospel of his :Son,*

h*o* laTREU*o* [3000] en t*o* PNEUmaTI mou en t*o* eu-ag-geLI*o* tou huiOU
auTOU,

*how unceasingly I make mention of you always in my :prayers*

h*o*s a-di-aLEIPt*o*s [89] MNEIan [3417] huM*O*N poiOUmai PANto-te ePI t*o*n
pro-seuCH*O*N mou

*10 requesting, if by any means now at length*

deOme-nos [1189], ei p*o*s *E*d*e* poTE

*I may be prospered in the will of :God to come unto you.*

eu-o-d*o*TH*E*so-mai [2137] en t*o* theL*E*ma-ti tou TheOU elTHEIN pros
huMAS.

 *c. 1:11-12 PURPOSE OF SPIRITUAL GIFTS: LEADS TO CONFIRMATION*

*For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift,*

e-pi-poTH*O* [1971] gar iDEIN huMAS, HIna ti me-taD*O* CHAris-ma huMIN
pneu-ma-tiKON,

*unto your being stablished; 12 and this is that I with you be comforted in
you,*

eis to st*e*-richTH*E*nai huMAS; TOUto DE es-tin sun-pa-ra-kl*e*TH*E*nai
4837] en huMIN,

*each by our :mutual faith, both yours and mine.*

diA t*e*s en alL*E*lois PISte-*o*s, huM*O*N te kai eMOU.

 *d. 1:13 PAUL'S DESIRE: TO HAVE FRUIT IN ALL NATIONS*

*And I would not have you ignorant, brethren,*

ou THEl*o* de huMAS ag-noEIN [50], a-delPHOI,

*that oft I purposed to come unto you (and was hindered :hitherto),*

HOti polLAkis pro-eTHEm*e*n [4388] elTHEIN pros huMAS (kai e-k*o*LUth*e*n
ACHri tou DEUro),

*that I might have some fruit in you also, even as in the rest of the
nations.*

HIna tiNA karPON sch*o* kai en huMIN, kaTH*O*S kai en tois loiPOIS
ETHne-sin.

 *2. 1:14-17 THE GOSPEL: HOW GOD EFFECTIVELY PROVIDES SALVATION*

*a. 1:14 I am debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to wise and
foolish.*

HELl*e*SIN te kai barBArois [915], soPHOIS 4680] te kai a-no*E*tois
[453]o-pheiLEt
*e*s [3781] eiMI.

 *b. 1:15 So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you
also :in Rome.*

HOUt*o*, to kat' eME, PROthu-mon [4289] kai huMIN tois en
'R*O*m*e*eu-ag-geLIsas-thai
[2097].

 *c. 1:16 “I AM NOT ASHAMED”*

*For I am not ashamed of the gospel:*

ou gar e-paiSCHUno-mai [1870] to eu-agGEli-on:

*for it is God's power unto salvation to every :believer;*

DUna-mis gar TheOU es-tin eis s*o*-t*e*RIan [4991] panTI t*o* piSTEUon-ti;

*to Jew first, also to Greek.*

IouDAI*o* te PR*O*ton, kai HELl*e*-ni.

 *d. 1:17 THE GOSPEL: GOD'S METHOD OF IMPARTING RIGHTEOUSNESS BY FAITH*

*For herein is being revealed God's righteousness*

di-kai-oSUn*e* [1343] gar TheOU en auT*O* a-po-kaLUPte-tai [601]

*from faith unto faith: as it is written, But the righteous man shall live
by faith.*

ek PISte-*o*s eis PIStin: kaTH*O*S GEgrap-tai, Ho de DIkai-os [1342] ek
PIste-*o*s Z*E*se-tai [2198].

 *NOTE:* It is important to note that Paul sets himself as “bondman” first -
before “apostle.” And Paul says, “Follow *me*, as *I* follow Christ! Jesus
in John 13 places Himself, though Lord and Teacher, just as Paul. This is
the mark and characteristic of *true* apostles. God has sent them to
*serve*the Body of Christ. By their fruits shall we know them.

 Note too in 1:5 that the Gospel is given to us by God unto the *obedience
of faith* among all nations. This is the way the Book of Romans begins, and
it is also the way it ends! See 16:26 - Paul's gospel in the Book of Romans
is made known unto all the nations *unto obedience of faith.* People who
profess themselves to be on the way to heaven because they can quote
scriptures - but do *not walk* in *obedience of faith* - are in for a rude
shock up ahead! It's not what we *think* about these truths - it's how we
walk in them in *obedience of faith* that counts!

 In the Spring of 1944 in HMCS Naden adjoining to Victoria BC, God revealed
Himself to me according to a promise He gave me in the Fall of 1942 while
attending the University of British Columbia. He said, “Join the Navy, and
I'll reveal Myself to you” according to Psalm 107:23-24. He then made Romans
1:16-17 so real to me, that I received a boldness not my own to proclaim the
Gospel in Jesus to 100's of my fellow sailors, and saw numbers of them come
to the Lord.

 Romans 10:9-10 became the key that God used to usher me into His Kingdom. I
must confess that this Book of the Gospel of Paul brought me into the
Kingdom; has powerfully illuminated me on the way; and continues to open up
and reveal to me marvelous truths. I say, “Open my eyes, that I might see
wonderful things in Your Word!” And He *does*!    J.A.Watt

*PS.  About 1/2 of Volume II of the Interlinear has had a reversal of
Panin's texts, putting the English in the top position. This is primarily
for the benefit of Laymen - and I trust the Greek scholars will understand
and sympathize. This first section of Romans is rich indeed, and deserves
much meditation in the spirit of George Muller and George Whitefield.     J.

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES - Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/ *