Hebrews 8:1-13

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 20:51:41 PDT 2011

July 30, 2011

 *(From: HEBREWS #7 - 8:1-13)*

*G. 8:1-13 “JESUS OUR HIGH PRIEST: HAS BROUGHT US A BETTER COVENANT*

*a. 8:1-2 SPHERE OF JESUS' PRIESTLY MINISTRY: THE HEAVENLIES*

KePHAlai-on [2774] de ePI tois le-goMEnois:

*Now in the things we are saying the chief point is:*

toiOUton Echo-men ar-chi-eREa [749], hos eKAthi-sen [2523]

*We have such a high priest, who sat down*

en de-xiA tou THROnou [2362] t*e*s me-ga-l*o*SUn*e*s [3172] en tois
ou-raNOIS,

*on the right of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens,*

t*o*n haGI*o*n [39] lei-tourGOS [3011], kai t*e*s sk*e*N*E*S [4633] t*e*s
a-l*e*-thiN*E*S [228],

*2 a minister of the holies, and of the true :tabernacle,*

h*e*n Ep*e*-xen [4078] ho KUri-os, ouk ANthr*o*-pos.

*which the Lord pitched, not man.*

 *b. 8:3 SACRIFICES: PART OF ALL PRIESTLY SERVICES*

pas gar ar-chi-eREUS eis to prosPHErein [4374] D*O*-RA te kai thuSIas
[2378]kaTHISta-tai
[2525]:

*For every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices:*

HOthen a-nagKAIon [316] Echein ti kai TOUton ho pro-seNEGk*e* [4374].

*whence it is is necessary that this one also have something to offer.*

 *c. 8:4-5 THE LAW: EXCLUDED JESUS FROM EARTHLY PRIESTHOOD*

ei men oun *e*n ePI g*e*s, oud' an *e*n hi-eREUS,

*Now if he were on earth, he would not be a priest at all,*

ONt*o*n t*o*n pros-pheRONt*o*n [4374] kaTA NOmon ta D*O*ra

*seeing there are those who offer the gifts according to law*

(HOti-nes hu-poDEIGma-ti [5262] kai skiA [4639] laTREUou-sin [3000] t*o*n
e-pou-raNI*o*n [2032],

*5 (the which serve a copy and shadow of the heavenlies,*

kaTH*O*S ke-chr*e*MAtis-tai [5537] M*o*-uS*E*S MELl*o*n e-pi-teLEIN [2005] t
*e*n sk*e*N*E*N:

*even as Moses when about to complete the tabernacle is warned:*

HOra, GAR, ph*e*-sin, poi*E*seis PANta kaTA ton TUpon [5179] ton deichTHENta
[1166] soi en t*o* Orei).

*for, See, says he, you make all **things **according to the pattern :shown
you in the mount).*

 *d. 8:6 SUPERIOR COVENANT PRODUCES A SUPERIOR MINISTRY*

nun de di-a-pho-r*o*TEras [1313] TEtu-chen [5177] lei-tourGIas [3009],

*But now has he obtained a ministry the more superior,*

HOs*o* kai KREITtoNOS [2909] es-tin di-aTH*E*k*e*s [1242] meSIt*e*s [3316],

*by so much as he is also mediator of a better covenant,*

H*E*tis ePI KREITto-sin e-pag-geLIais [1860] ne-no-moTHEt*e*-tai [3549].

*which has been enacted upon better promises.*

 *e. 8:7 For if that :first had been faultless, then would no place have
been sought for a second.*

ei gar h*e* PR*O*t*e* eKEIn*e* *e*n Amemp-tos [273], ouk an deuTEras
e-z*e*TEIto
[2212] TOpos [5117].

 *f. 8:8-9 GOD: PROMISED ISRAEL A BETTER COVENANT*

memPHOme-nos [3201] gar auTOUS LEgei, I-DOU, h*e*MErai ERchon-tai, LEgei
KUri-os,

*For blaming them he says, Lo, days come, says the Lord,*

kai sun-teLEs*o* [4931] ePI ton OIkon Is-ra*E*L

*That I will accomplish a new covenant*

kai ePI ton OIkon IOUda di-aTH*E*k*e*n [1242] kaiN*E*N [2537];

*over the house of Israel and over the house of Judah;*

ou kaTA t*e*n di-aTH*E*k*e*n h*e*n ePOI*e*-sa tois paTRAsin [3962] auT*O*N

*9 Not according to the covenant that I made for their :fathers*

en h*e*ME-ra e-pi-la-boMEnou [1949] mou t*e*s cheiROS auT*O*N

*In the day that I took them by their :hands*

e-xa-gaGEIN [1806] auTOUS ek g*e*s AiGUPtou:

*to lead them forth out of Egypt land:*

HOti auTOI ouk eNEmei-nan [1696] en t*e* di-aTH*E*k*e* mou,

*For they continued not in my :covenant, *

ka' 'G*O* *e*MEl*e*-sa [272] auT*O*N, LEgei KUri-os.

*And I regarded them not, says the Lord.*

 *g. 8:10-12 NATURE OF NEW AND SUPERIOR COVENANT*

HOte HAUt*e* h*e* di-aTH*E*k*e* h*e*n di-aTH*E*so-mai [1303] t*o* OIk*o*Is-ra
*E*L

*For this is the covenant that I will covenant for the house of Israel*

meTA tas h*e*MEras eKEInas, LEgei KUri-os;

*After those :days, says the Lord;*

diDOUS NOmous [3551] mou eis t*e*n diAnoi-an [1271] auT*O*N,

*I will put my laws into their :mind,*

kai ePI karDIas [2588] auT*O*N e-piGRAps*o* [1924] auTOUS:

*And on their heart also will I write them:*

kai Eso-mai auTOIS eis TheON, kai auTOI EsonTAI moi eis laON:

*And I will be God to them, And they shall be a people to me:*

kai ou m*e* diDAx*o*-sin [1321] HEka-stos ton poLIt*e*n [4139] auTOU,

*11 And they shall each in no wise teach his :fellow-citizen,*

kai HEka-stos ton a-delPHON auTOU, LEg*o*n, GN*O*thi [1097] ton KUri-on:

*And each his :brother, saying, Know the Lord:*

HOti PANtes eiD*E*souSIN [1492] me, aPO miKROU [3398] HE*o*s meGAlou [3173]auT
*O*N,

*For all shall know me, From the least to the greatest of them,*

HOti HIle-*o*s [2436] Eso-mai tais a-diKIai auT*O*N,

*12 Because I will be merciful to their :iniquities,*

kai t*o*n ha-mar-ti*O*N auT*O*N ou m*e* mn*e*sTH*O* [3415] Eti.

*And their :sins will I remember no more.*

 *h. 8:13a In that he says, A new, he has made old the first.*

en t*o* LEgein, KaiN*E*N, pe-paLAI*o*-ken [3822] t*e*n PR*O*t*e*n.

 *i. 8:13b But what becomes old, yes aged, is nigh vanishing away.*

to de pa-laiOUme-non [3822] , kai g*e*RAskon [1095], egGUS a-pha-nisMOU
[854].

 *NOTE**: *There are certain insights from this passage that are unique, not
appearing anywhere else in the NT. Because of the unusual three years of
revelation that Paul received directly from the Lord following his
conversion, it is difficult to find another NT writer who could unfold the
clear revelation as appears in this book. His three years in the desert at
this time are unique also.

 This is all apart from the confirmation that Bible Numerics through Ivan
Panin gives to his authorship. It is especially in the realm of the
unfolding insights to the OT “mysteries” that Paul received from the Lord to
make known to the church.

 We learn in this passage concerning the contrast of Moses' earthly
tabernacle over which Aaron initially ruled with his successors, and the
heavenly one - over which Jesus alone now eternally rules.

 8:5 brings out a truth that again and again is repeated in the book of
Exodus to Moses from God: “*See, said He, that you make all
thingsconcerning the earthly tabernacle - according to the heavenly
pattern shown
to you on the Mount.”*

 Moses so carefully obeyed this admonition, that when the finished
Tabernacle was presented to God for His approval, He then in approval sealed
it by placing His Shekinah glory upon it! Solomon later built the Temple
exactly according to the pattern God gave to his father David. After 7 ½
years of Construction, on the Feast of Tabernacles - God signified His
approval by so filling the Temple with His glory - that 120 priests were
unable to enter to stand and minister. Elijah on Mount Carmel, rebuilt the
broken down altar of Jehovah, with the 12 stones representing the 12 tribes
of Israel, and exactly at the time of the evening sacrifice, he prayed his
63-word prayer. God signified His approval by sending fire from heaven,
consuming not only the sacrifice, but the stones, and licking up the water
also.

 Jesus said - *“I will build My church, and the counsels in the gates of
hell shall not prevail against it!”* Not one word - not one miracle Jesus
performed - but *all* came from the Father Himself. As Son of man - He
originated *nothing* from Himself. God was *so pleased* with the work of His
Beloved Son - that following Jesus earthly ministry of 3 years in founding
the church, God filled 120 of the members with the Holy Spirit on the Day of
Pentecost, in the upper room. They represented the corporate living Temple
of God.

 The Old Covenant of Moses for Israel was *not* faultless. So God prepared a
*New Covenant* in preparation when Israel at the Lord's Second Coming will
be a nation born in a day. And - because of the revelation of the “mystery”
of the “One New Man” - Jew and Gentile together in the church, even in those
beginning days, functioned dynamically from the Day of Pentecost in the New
Covenant truth.

 Jesus fulfilled the Feast of Passover at Calvary. The Holy Spirit fulfilled
“The Feast of Pentecost” 50 days after Christ's Resurrection and 40 days
after His Ascension. Jesus will fulfill the Feast of Tabernacles (Succot) at
His Second Coming, and usher in His Millennial reign from Jerusalem.

 8:10-12 again outlines the great contrast between the Mosaic Covenant from
Mount Sinai, and the New Covenant, inaugurated by Jesus in His Atoning
Death, Resurrection, Ascension, and Sending the Holy Spirit as His own
Heredity for us.

 But for me, perhaps the outstanding insight from this passage is 8:6 -
Jesus - as the Mediator of a *better* covenant (than that of Moses), which
has been enacted - or better - “*constituted as Torah*” upon better
promises. Dr. David Stern in both the Introduction to the “Complete Jewish
Bible” as well as to his “Jewish New Testament Commentary” - points out this
unusual Greek construction. The word “ne-no-moTHEt*e*-tai” - is the key
here. “NOmos” (law) in Greek is T*O*rah in Hebrew, meaning “teaching”. What
this verse is proclaiming is that the New Testament is on the same level as
the OT Torah, for both Jew and Gentile, “The One New Man”. Still we need to
remember - The NT is in the Old contained: the OT is by the New explained!
And when we see “both” as Torah in God's sight - then the 66 books of our
Bible are *indeed* unique.

 And the fact that Bible Numerics even established God's *signature* through
the 33 known Bible writers - then *it* becomes indeed the Plumbline to
establish God's thinking and insight as infallible. This established the
sexual sin of Sodom and Gomorrah and all successors to it. We all one day
will appear either before the Judgment Seat (BEma) of Christ as believers -
to answer for what we have believed and done in the body - and all
unbelievers - unrepentant sinners - will appear before the Great White
Throne to hear the final verdict for rebellion, deliberate unbelief and
rejection of God's Christ, the only way of salvation and justification in
this life down here. J.A.Watt

*NOTE* # 2.  The insights on Hebrews 8 above are so significant, that I am
sending them out again. To see more clearly the background why I count them
so important, turn to our Website *<www.2rbetter.org>* and click on
"Interlinear". Then scroll down to "Revelation 18:1-24" and read my *NOTE*.

I believe that Panin's "discovery" of the sentence and paragraph structure
God built into the NT without the 8 authors being aware of it - and the
placing of the "*Outlined*" structure into the Interlinear NT text - is
possibly the most outstanding breakthrough that God has reserved for these
last days. When Volume I of the Interlinear Gospels comes out this year - at
the suggestion of the Printer, I have put under "Introduction Part B" the
historical background how all of this has come about. J.A.W.

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES -- Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/*