Matthew - Overview

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 08:55:58 PDT 2011

April 28, 2011

 *JAN 24-30 - MATTHEW - OVERVIEW - JESUS: THE MESSIAH KING*

 *JAN 24. 3:11 (1:1-4:16) PREPARATION FOR JESUS. “I indeed baptize you in
water unto repentance: but who comes after me is mightier that I: whose
:shoes I am not fit to bear: HE shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit and
fire.” *What a Kingdom! We praise You that You have made *Jesus* the Way,
and that none comes to You except through Him, our Mediator. *Hallowed be
Your** **:name. *

 *JAN 25. 7:28-29 (4:17-7:29) TEACHING OF JESUS. “And it came to pass, when
:Jesus ended these :words, the crowds were astonished at his :teaching: 29
for he was teaching them as having authority, and not as the scribes. *Father,
we choose the Narrow Gate and the *straitened* way into Your Kingdom. *Your
:kingdom come.*

 *JAN 26. 10:34-36 (8:1-11:1) MIRACLES OF JESUS. “Think not that I came to
bring peace on the earth: I came not to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I
came to set a man at variance against his :father, and a daughter against
her :mother, and a bride against her :mother in law: 36 and the man's foes
are they of his household.” *How many of us have not experienced this - upon
our individual conversion? *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *JAN 27. 18:19-20 (11:2-18:35) CONTROVERSY OVER JESUS. “Again, Amen, I say
unto you, that if two of you shall agree on :earth as touching anything they
shall ask, it shall be done for them of my :Father who is in the heavens. 20
For where two or three are gathered unto my :name, there am I in their
midst.” *Father, in Messiah You are present to help us handle all
interpersonal problems according to Matthew 18:15-17. *Our :daily :bread
Give us this day.*

 *JAN 28. 23:37 (19-23) CHALLENGE OF JESUS IN JUDEA. “Jerusalem, Jerusalem,
that kills the prophets, and stones those sent unto her! how oft would I
have gathered your :children together, even as a hen gathers her :chicks
under the wings, and you would not!” *Father, we receive and act upon the
invitation of *Jesus*. *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven
our :debtors.*

 *JAN 29. 24:30 (24-25) COMING AGAIN OF JESUS. “And then shall appear the
sign of the Son of :man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the
earth mourn, and shall see the Son of :man coming on the clouds of the
heaven with power and great glory.” *The Second Coming of Jesus has a
two-fold effect: For believers - it is a time of great joy! For unbelievers
- it is a time of great distress! *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *JAN 30. 27:51-53 (26-28) CRUCIFIXION AND RESURRECTION OF JESUS. “And lo,
the veil of the temple was rent in two from top to bottom; and the earth
shook; and the rocks were rent; 52 and the tombs were opened; and many
bodies of the saints that had fallen asleep were raised; 53 and coming forth
from the tombs after his :resurrection entered into the holy city and
appeared unto many.” *This is one of the many portions of he Bible which we
can easily slip over. But the Holy Spirit causes no Bible writer to record *
anything* from the mind of God, except He desires us to search out and
understand its significance from *His* point of view! *But deliver us from
the evil one.*

 *NOTE:* There are two portions in this Gospel that link together related
Greek words: the Beatitudes and the Lord's Prayer. I link the Beatitudes
with the tribe of “Asher,” and the Lord's Prayer with the tribe of Ephraim.
Asher means “Blessed”, or “Happy;” so the linkage is clear. Ephraim means
“double fruitfulness”, according to the prophecy over him by his grandfather
Jacob. When one understands the prayer Jesus gave His disciples at their
request, that one becomes *indeed** *a fruitful person. Rees Howells
epitomizes such a one. Joshua, the servant of Moses, the man of God, was of
this tribe. Consider his life as recounted in the book of Joshua.

 The Gospel of Matthew sets forth Jesus as *King*. He is the King of the
Jews, Himself a Jew through his mother after the flesh, Mary. He is the Lion
of the tribe of Judah! This Gospel quotes portions from the Old Testament in
such a manner that all open-hearted Jews can easily discern Him as the
promised Messiah! Anna and Simeon were two who so recognized Him at the time
of His birth, when Joseph and Mary presented Him at the Temple. The Holy
Spirit alerted both of them to this significant time.

 Matthew, Mark and Luke are listed as synoptic gospels, as distinct from
John, the Gospel setting Jesus forth in a special way as the Son of God.
Some think God has not a Son! They are wrong! Jesus is God's only-begotten
Son! Three times God voiced from heaven His approval of Jesus, the Son of
God! He exhorted us to *hear* His Son, obey Him, and become exceedingly
intimate with Him. Jesus is the God-man from God on our behalf. Redemption
and Reconciliation come only through Him!

 There are mysteries here - but God has promised insight on our behalf as we
meditate, *obey*, and walk in loving and joyous discipleship on His behalf.
This is *all* voluntary on our part. We don't *have* to - but we have the
privilege of doing so if we want to! J.A.Watt