Luke 8:1-25

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 14:50:50 PST 2010

November 22, 2010

  *(From: LUKE)*

 *G. 8:1-18 KEY TO THE KINGDOM*

 *1. 8:1-3 FOURTH TOUR OF GALILEE*

Kai eGEne-to en t*o* ka-theX*E*S

*And it came to pass soon afterwards*

[kai] auTOS di*O*deu-en [1353] kaTA POlin kai K*O*m*e*n,

*HE [also] went about through city and village,*

k*e*RUSs*o*n [2784] kai eu-ag-ge-liZOme-nos t*e*n ba-siLEIan [932] tou
TheOU,

*preaching and bringing the gospel of the kingdom of :God,*

kai hoi D*O*de-ka sun auT*O*, kai guNAI-KES ti-nes

*and with him the twelve, 2 and certain women*

hai *E*san te-the-ra-peuMEnai [2323] aPO pneuMAt*o*n po-n*e*R*O*N kai
as-the-nei*O*N [169]:

*who had been cured of evil spirits and infirmities:*

MaRIa h*e* ka-louMEn*e* Mag-da-l*e*N*E*, aph' h*e*s daiMOni-a hepTA e-xe-l*e
*LUthei [1831],

*Mary the one called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out,*

kai I*o*Ana guN*E* ChouZA e-piTROpou [2012] H*e*R*O*dou, kai SouSANna,

*3 and Joanna wife of Chuzas Herod's steward, and Susanna,*

kai HEte-rai polLAI, HAIti-nes di-*e*KOnoun [1247] auTOIS ek t*o*n
hu-parCHONt*o*n [5224] auTAIS.

*and many others, who were ministering to them of their :substance.*

 *2. 8:4-8 PARABLE OF THE FOUR SOILS*

*a. 8:4-5 THE SEED BY THE WAY SIDE*

 Su-niONtos [4896] de OCHlou polLOU,

*And when a great crowd came together,*

kai t*o*n kaTA POlin e-pi-po-reu-oMEn*o*n pros auTON, EIpen diA pa-ra-boL*E*S
[3850]:

*and they of every city resorted unto him, he spoke by a parable:*

E-X*E*Lthen ho SPEIr*o*n [4687] tou SPEIrai ton SPOron [4703] auTOU: kai en
t*o* SPEIrein auTON,

*5 The sower went forth to sow his :seed: and as he :sowed,*

ho men Epe-sen paRA t*e*n hoDON, kai ka-te-paT*E*th*e* [2662],

*some fell by the way side, and was trodden under,*

kai ta pe-teiNA [4061] tou ou-raNOU kaTEpha-gen [2719] auTO.

*and the birds of the heaven devoured it.*

 *b. 8:6 THE SEED ON THE ROCK*

kai HEte-ron kaTEpe-sen ePI t*e*n PEtran [4073];

*And other fell on the rock;*

kai phuEN [5453] e-x*e*RANth*e* [3583], diA to m*e* Echein ikMAda [2429].

*and growing it withered away, because it :had no moisture.*

 *c. 8:7 THE SEED AMIDST THE THORNS*

kai HEte-ron Epe-sen en MEs*o* t*o*n a-kanTH*O*N [173];

*And other fell amidst the thorns;*

kai sun-phuEIsai [4855] hai Akan-thai, aPEPni-xan [1970].

*and the thorns grew with it, and choked it.*

 *d. 8:8a THE SEED ON THE GOOD GROUND*

kai HEte-ron Epe-sen eis t*e*n g*e*n t*e*n a-gaTH*E*N, kai phuEN,

*And other fell into the good :ground, and grew,*

ePOI*e*-sen karPON he-ka-ton-ta-plaSIo-na.

*and** brought forth fruit hundredfold.*

 *e. 8:8b JESUS' STRONG EXHORTION TO HEAR*

TAUta LEg*o*n, ePH*O*nei [5455],

*As he said these things, he cried,*

Ho Ech*o*n *O*ta aKOUein, a-kouEt*o*.

*Who has ears to hear, let him hear.*

 *3. 8:9-15 INTERPRETATION OF THE FOUR SOILS*

*a. 8:9 And his :disciples asked him what this :parable might be.*

E-p*e*R*O*t*o*n [1905] de auTON hoi ma-th*e*TAI auTOU tis HAUt*e*
EI*e* h*e*pa-ra-boL
*E*.

 *b. 8:10 THE PURPOSE FOR TEACHING IN PARABLES*

ho de EIpen, HuMIN DEdo-tai GN*O*nai ta muST*E*ri-a [3466]

*And he said, To you it is given to know the mysteries*

t*e*s ba-siLEIas tou TheOU: tois de loiPOIS en pa-ra-boLAIS;

*of the kingdom of God: but to the rest in parables;*

HIna BLEon-tes m*e* BLEp*o*-sin, kai aKOUon-tes m*e* su-ni*O*sin.

*that seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand.*

 *c. 8:11 Now the parable is this: the seed is the word of :God.*

EStin de HAUt*e* h*e* pa-ra-boL*E*: Ho SPOros esTIN ho LOgos tou TheOU.

 *d. 8:12 WHAT HAPPENS TO THE WAY SIDE SEED*

hoi de paRA t*e*n hoDON eiSIN hoi aKOUsan-tes;

*And those by the way side are they that have heard;*

EIta ERche-tai ho diAbo-los [1223], kai AIrei ton LOgon aPO t*e*s karDIas
auT*O*N,

*then comes the devil, and takes away the word from their :heart,*

HIna m*e* piSTEUsan-tes s*o*TH*O*sin.

*that they be not saved by believing.*

 *e. 8:13 WHAT HAPPENS TO THE SEED ON THE ROCK*

hoi de ePI t*e*s PEtras hoi, HOtan aKOUs*o*-sin,

*And those on the rock are they who, when they have heard,*

meTA chaRAS [5479] DEchon-tai ton LOgon;

*receive the word with joy;*

kai HOUtoi 'RIzan ouk Echou-sin, hoi pros kaiRON [2540] piSTEUou-sin,

*and these have no root, who for a season believe,*

kai en kaiR*O* pei-rasMOU [3956] aPHIstan-tai [868].

*and in the season of temptation fall away.*

 *f. 8:14 WHAT HAPPENS TO THE SEED AMONG THORNS*

to de eis tas aKANthas peSON, HOU-TOI ei-sin hoi aKOUsan-tes,

*And what fell among the thorns, these are they that have heard,*

kai huPO me-rimN*O*N [3308] kai PLOUtou kai h*e*-doN*O*N [2237] tou BIou
[979]

*and while going on are choked with cares and riches*

po-reuOme-nos sunPNIgon-tai [4846], kai ou te-les-phoROUsin [5052].

*and pleasures of this :life, and bring no perfect fruit.*

 *g. 8:15 WHAT HAPPENS TO THE SEED IN GOOD GROUND*

to de en t*e* kaL*E* g*e*, HOU-TOI ei-sin HOIti-nes en karDIa

*And that in the good ground, these are such as in an honest*

kaL*E* kai a-gaTH*E*, aKOUsan-tes ton LOgon, kaTEchou-sin [2722],

*and good heart, having heard the word, hold it fast,*

kai kar-po-phoROUsin [2592] en hu-po-moN*E* [5281].

*and bring forth fruit with patience.*

 *4. 8:16-18 INSTRUCTION ON HANDLING PARABLES*

*a. 8:16 SHARE THE LIGHT RECEIVED FROM PARABLES*

OuDEIS de LUCHnon [3088] HApsas [681], kaLUPtei [2572] auTON SKEUei [4632],

*And no one when he has lit a lamp, covers it with a vessel,*

*e* hu-poKAt*o* [5270] KLIn*e*s [2825] TIth*e*-sin; all' ePI luchNIas [3087]TIth
*e*-sin,

*or puts under a bed; but puts on a stand,*

HIna hoi eis-po-reuOme-noi BLEp*o*-sin to ph*o*s.

*that those entering in may see the light.*

 *b. 8:17 ALL HIDDEN THINGS SHALL ONE DAY COME OUT*

ou GAR es-tin krupTON [2927], ho ou pha-neRON [5318] geN*E*se-tai;

*For nothing is hid, that shall not be made manifest;*

ouDE aPOkru-phon [614], ho ou m*e* gn*o*sTH*E* kai eis pha-enRON ELth*e*.

*nor secret, that shall not be known and come to light.*

 *c. 8:18 OUR GROWTH IS DEPENDENT UPON SHARING LIGHT*

BLEpe-te, oun, p*o*s aKOUe-te:

*Look out, therefore, how you hear:*

hos an gar Ech*e*, doTH*E*se-tai auT*O*; kai hos an m*e* Ech*e*,

*for whoever has, to him shall be given; and whoever has not,*

kai ho doKEI [1380] Echein arTH*E*se-tai [142] ap' auTOU.

*from him shall be taken away even what he thinks he has.*

 *H. 8:19-21 NEW STANDARD OF RELATIONSHIP*

*a. 8:19 CROWDS PREVENT JESUS' RELATIVES FROM VISITING HIM*

Pa-reGEnon-to de pros auTON h*e* M*E*t*e*r kai hoi a-delPHOI auTOU,

*And his :mother came unto him and :brethren,*

kai ouk *e*DUnan-to sun-tuCHEIN auT*O* diA ton OCHlon.

*and could not come at him for the crowd.*

 *b. 8:20 JESUS HEARS OF THEIR DESIRE*

a-p*e*gGEl*e* de auT*O*,

*And it was reported to him,*

H*e* M*E*t*e*r sou kai hoi a-delPHOI sou heST*E*ka-sin Ex*o*, iDEIN
THElonTES se.

*Your :mother and your :brethren stand without, wishing to see you.*

 *c. 8:21 JESUS PUTS DISCIPLES OF WORD ABOVE FLESH AND BLOOD*

ho de a-po-kriTHEIS EIpen pros auTOUS, M*E*t*e*r mou kai a-delPHOI mou

*But he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren*

HOU-TOI ei-sin hoi ton LOgon tou TheOU aKOUon-tes, kai poiOUNtes [4160].

*are these that hear the word of :God, and do it. *

 *I. 8:22-39 JESUS: MASTER OF NATURE AND DEMONS*

 *1. 8:22-25 JESUS THROUGH STORM - MAGNIFIED IN EYES OF DISCIPLES*

*a. 8:22 A TRIP ON THE LAKE*

E-GEne-to de en miA t*o*n h*e*-meR*O*N,

*Now it came to pass on one of the days,*

kai auTOS eNEb*e* eis PLOIon, kai hoi ma-th*e*TAI auTOU; kai EIpen pros
auTOUS,

*both HE entered into a boat, and his disciples; and he said unto them,*

DiELth*o*-men eis to PEran t*e*s LIMn*e*s [3041]: kai aN*E*CHth*e*-san [321]
.

*Let us go over to the other side of the lake: and they launched forth.*

 *b. 8:23 THE STORM*

pleONt*o*n de auT*O*N aPHUPn*o*-sen [879]:

*But as they were sailing he fell asleep:*

kai kaTEb*e* LAIlaps [2978] aNEmou eis t*e*n LIMn*e*n;

*and a storm of wind came down on the lake;*

kai su-ne-pl*e*ROUNto [4845], kai e-kinDUneu-on [2793].

*and they were filling with water, and were in danger.*

 *c. 8:24a THE DEEP CONCERN OF THE DISCIPLES*

pro-selTHONtes de, di*E*gei-ran [1326] auTON, LEgon-tes,

*And they came to him, and awoke him, saying,*

E-piSTAta [1988], e-piSTAta, a-polLUme-tha [622].

*Master, master, we perish.*

 *d. 8:24b JESUS RESPONDS*

ho de di-e-gerTHEIS [1453], e-peTIm*e*-sen [2008] t*o* aNEm*o* kai t*o* KLUd
*o*-ni [2830] tou HUda-tos:

*And he awoke, and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water:*

kai aPAUsan-to [3973], kai eGEne-to gaL*E*n*e* [1055].

*and they ceased, and there was a calm.*

 *e. 8:25a And he said to them, Where is your :faith?*

EIpen de auTOIS, Pou h*e* PIstis huM*O*N?

 *f. 8:25b A REACTION OF FEAR AND MARVELING*

pho-b*e*THENtes [5399] de eTHAUma-san [2296], LEgon-tes pros alL*E*lous,

*And being afraid they marveled, saying one to another,*

Tis Ara HOU-TOS es-tin, HOti kai tois aNEmois e-piTASsei [2004]

*Who then is this, that he commands even the winds*

kai t*o* HUda-ti, kai hu-paKOUou-sin [5219] auT*O*?

*and the water, and they obey him?*

 *NOTE**: (2010-11-22) - 6:40 - “A disciple is not above the teacher: but
every one **perfected (ka-tarTIzo) shall be as his teacher.” *The word
underlined here appears some 17 times in the NT. For me, one of its key
appearances is in Ephesians 4:11-12. Here, the 5-fold ministries of
apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers - are given by Jesus
to *adjust *the members of the body of Christ into perfect working unity.
Each member learns and operates in its individual function, and all together
allow Jesus as the Head of His Body, to cause us to function under His
direction! The 5-fold give the body members a spiritual “chiropractic
adjustment,” so that we perfectly allow the spinal cord to function through
the 33 adjusted vertebrae. But here, Jesus is telling His disciples that
each one of us when perfected, or adjusted, become just like Him, the Head.
There is *one* body, one Spirit, one hope, one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
one God and Father in all and over all. Ephesians 4:4-5. This book is
regarded by many as containing a revelation of the highest insight into
church truth. Many analogies to the church appear in this book.

 8:4-8 - Parable of the Four Soils. This is the Key Parable that unlocks the
meaning of all other parables. Understand the spiritual meaning here, and
the *mysteries* of the Kingdom of God then open to us. It is important to
note, that salvation is but in soil 4, in which there are 3 gradients. We
can settle for 30 or 60-fold, but each of us have the privilege to move in
discipleship into the 100-fold! Oswald Chambers says that *few* press in to
enjoy this place. In 1944 as a new believer, I sat under the ministry of Lee
Ellenwood from California, both in Victoria and Port Alberni. He taught that
those of us who enter the Outer Court, are 30-fold Christians, We are in
soil 4; we do have salvation, and are not like soil 1, 2 and 3 - but there
is *much* more. To press into the Holy Place, is to become 60-fold, and our
fruit has doubled. Here we walk in the fruit and the gifts of the Spirit.
Here we feed on Christ through the merits of Calvary, His Word and His
Spirit. But there is *more*! The Holy of Holies is now open to us through
the *riven veil*, which took place at Calvary. Here we become 100-fold -
here we are in the very presence of God, before the Throne of His Glory,
before the Ark of *His Covenant*. Paul pressed in until he walked
continually in this place. So did Oswald Chambers, Rees Howells, George
Muller, H.A. Baker, and countless other men and women. Yet - in the light of
the whole body of Christ, there number is relatively *few*. Join and press
with me into this place that God covets for each one of us to enter.

 8:9-15. Jesus' 12 disciples had trouble understanding this parable, so He
here gives the true interpretation. Notice that He says we must have an *
honest* and *good* heart, and having heard the word, hold *it* fast,
*and*bring forth fruit with
*patience*. He that endures to the *end* shall be saved. Don't give up the
ship. Don't let difficulties deter us. We will join Abraham, Isaac and Jacob
- also Moses, Joshua, David, Daniel, Job and countless other OT and NT
saints. We *will* let the cloud of witnesses of Hebrew 12 *cheer us on* - so
that we will be able to join them in that heavenly place Jesus promises us,
and where all saints who have finished the course down here, are enjoying in
their spiritual bodies. But they are longing for resurrection bodies like
Jesus alone enjoys at the moment. But at the *last trump* - the Lord will
return, and then we all - those of us still living - and those already
graduated, will then receive glorious bodies like our risen and glorified
Lord.

 8:19-21 - Jesus here shows that Mary is *not* queen of heaven. He refused
her request and that of his brethren to meet with Him. At *that time *only
His disciples who heard and *kept* His word were counted as true relatives.
Doctrine by man does *not* interpret the Bible. The Bible judges and
corrects the doctrine of man!

 8:16-18 - And what does Jesus expect us as disciples to do with His
parables once we understand them? *Pass the light along*! Share the good
news of the Kingdom of God. Encourage all to enter His Kingdom, and once in,
then to be discipled according to Mark 8:34 and all other of His teachings.
Jesus didn't send disciples out just to get men saved! No! He commissioned
us to *make disciples*! If we enter His Kingdom and do not then move
immediately into discipleship following baptism - then we are yet in
no-man's land. Surely it behooves each of us to give Him *our utmost* in
discipleship - for *His Highest* in the light of His Cross at Calvary!
Personal, Passionate devotion to Jesus in the light of Calvary is our
reasonable response.

 8:22-25 - And *who is* this Son of :man that commands nature: winds and
waves and storms? He is the Son of God; He is *one* with the Father! *All
things* were created by Him in His pre-incarnate state! Read Hebrews 1-10 to
get a heavenly picture of Jesus Christ, the Lord of Glory. See Him in
Revelation 1, before whom John the beloved disciple fell at His feet as one
dead! We need to all press in, until we see Jesus from the Father's
perspective. Three times He shouted down from heaven during the 33 year life
of His Beloved Son on earth. He exhorted us to *hear* His Son, which means
to *obey*. We need to feed on His Word, meditate upon it daily, read it
through, pray it in, obey it out, and show the Father how much we appreciate
the fact that He loved us so much that He sent *His only begotten Son* that
believing on Him we need not perish and go to hell, but *have Everlasting
Life!* J.A.W.