Mark 14:53-72

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 15:18:05 PDT 2010

October 15, 2010

   *(From: MARK)*

 *E. 14:53-72 AN UNJUST TRIAL AND A DENIAL OF WEAKNESS*

*1. 14:53-65 TRIAL AND MOCKERY OF JESUS*

*a. 14:53 JESUS LED TO HIGH PRIEST*

 Kai aP*E*ga-gon ton I*e*SOUN pros ton ar-chi-eREa: kai suNERchon-tai

*And they led :Jesus away unto the high priest: and all the chief*

PANtes hoi ar-chi-eREIS kai hoi presBUte-roi kai hoi gram-maTEIS.

*priests and the elders and the scribes come together.*

 *b. 14:54 PETER FOLLOWS AFAR*
 kai ho PEtros aPO maKROthen [3113] *e*-koLOUth*e*-sen auT*O*, HE*o*s Es*o*,
eis t*e*n auL*E*N [833]

*And :Peter had followed him afar off, even within, into the court*

tou ar-chi-eRE*o*s; kai *e*n sun-kaTH*E*me-nos [4775] meTA t*o*n hu-p*e*-reT
*O*N [5257],

*of the high priest; and he was sitting with the officers,*

kai ther-maiNOme-nos [2328] pros to ph*o*s.

*and warming himself in the light of the fire.*

 *c. 14:55 FALSE WITNESSES SOUGHT*

hoi de ar-chi-eREIS kai HOlon to suNEdri-on eZ*E*toun

*Now the chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin were seeking*

kaTA tou I*e*SOU mar-tuRIan eis to tha-naT*O*sai auTON; kai ouch H*E*
Uri-skon.

*witness against :Jesus to :put him to death; and found not.*

 *d. 14:56 DISUNITY OF THE FALSE WITNESSES*

polLOI gar e-pseu-do-marTUroun [5576] kat' auTOU,

*For many bore false witness against him,*

kai Isai hai mar-tuRIai ouk *E*san.

*and their witness did not agree together.*

 *e. 14:57-58 SPECIFIC FALSE WITNESSES*

KAI ti-nes a-naSTANtes, e-pseu-do-marTUroun kat' auTOU, LEgon-tes,

*And certain stood up, and bore false witness against him, saying,*

[HOti] H*e*MEIS *e*KOUsa-men auTOU LEgon-tos, [HOti] eG*O* ka-taLUs*o*
[2647]

*58 [that] We heard him say, [that] I will destroy*

ton naON TOUton ton chei-roPOI*e*-ton [5499]*,*

*this :temple :made with hands,*

kai diA tri*O*N h*e*-meR*O*N ALlon a-chei-roPOI*e*-ton [886] ei-ko-doM*E*s*o
* [3618].

*and in three days I will build another made without hands.*

 *f. 14:59 And not even thus did their witness agree together.*

kai ouDE HOUt*o*s Is*e* *e*n h*e* mar-tuRIa auT*O*N.

 *g. 14:60 HIGH PRIEST SEEKS COMMENT FROM JESUS*

kai anasSTAS ho ar-chi-eREUS eis MEson,

*And the high priest stood up in the midst,*

e-p*e*R*O*t*e*-sen ton I*e*SOUN, LEg*o*n, Ouk a-poKRIn*e* ouDEN?

*and asked :Jesus, saying, Do you answer nothing?*

ti HOU-TOI sou ka-ta-mar-tuROUsin?

*what do these witness against you? *

 *h. 14:61a But he was silent, and answered nothing.*

ho de e-si*O*pa [4623], kai ouk a-peKRIna-to ouDEN.

 *i. 14:61a HIGH PRIEST QUESTIONS JESUS*

PAlin ho ar-chi-eREUS e-p*e*R*O*ta auTON, kai LEgei auT*O*,

*Again the high priest asked him, and says to him,*

Su ei ho ChrisTOS, ho huiOS tou eu-lo-g*e*TOU?

*Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?*

 *j. 10:62 JESUS ACKNOWLEDGES HIS STATUS*

ho de I*e*SOUS EIpen, E-G*O* ei-mi: kai Opses-the [3700] ton huiON tou anTHR
*O*pou

*And :Jesus said, I am: and you shall see the Son of :man*

ek de-xi*O*N kaTH*E*me-non t*e*s duNAme-*o*s,

*sitting at the right hand of the Power,*

kai erCHOme-non meTA t*o*n ne-pheL*O*N [3507] tou ou-raNOU.

*and coming with the clouds of :heaven.*

 *k. 14:63 HOW THE HIGH PRIEST USES THE CONFESSION HE FORCED FROM JESUS*

ho de ar-chi-eREUS di-aPH*E*xas [1284] tous chiT*O*nas [5509] auTOU, LEgei,

*And the high priest rent his :clothes, and says,*

Ti Eti CHREIan Echo-men marTUr*o*n?

*What further need have we of witnesses?*

 *l. 14:64a You have heard the blasphemy? what do you think?*

*e*KOUsa-te t*e*s blas-ph*e*MIas [988]? ti huMIN PHAIne-tai [5316]?

 *m. 14:64b And they all condemned him to be worthy of death.*

hoi de PANtes kaTEkri-nan [2632] auTON Eno-chon EInai thaNAtou.

 *n. 14:65 SHAMEFUL AND UNSEEMLY PERSECUTION OF JESUS*

kai *E*RxanTO ti-nes emPTUein [1716] auT*O*, kai pe-ri-kaLUPtein
[4128]auTOU to PROs
*o*-pon,

*And some began to spit on him, and to cover his :face,*

kai ko-laPHIzein [2852] auTON, kai LEgein auT*O*, ProPH*E*teu-son:

*and to buffet him, and to say to him, Prophesy:*

kai hoi hu-p*e*REtai 'raPISma-sin [4575] auTON Ela-bon.

*and the officers received him with blows.*

 *2. 14:66-72 PETER'S DENIAL*

*a. 14:66-67 A MAID CHALLENGES PETER*

Kai ONtos tou PEtrou KAt*o* en t*e* auL*E*,

*And as :Peter was beneath in the court,*

ERche-tai MIa t*o*n pai-diSK*O*N [3814] tou ar-chi-eRE*o*s;

*there** comes one of the maids of the high priest;*

kai iDOUsa ton PEtron ther-maiNOme-non [2328], emBLEpsa-sa [1689] auT*O*,

*67 and seeing :Peter warming himself, she looked on him, *

LEgei, Kai su meTA tou Na-za-r*e*NOU *E*Stha, tou I*e*SOU.

*and** says, You also were with the Nazarene, :Jesus.*

 *b. 14:68 HIS DENIAL*

ho de *e*rN*E*sa-to, LEg*o*n, OUte OIda, OUte ePIsta-mai [1987]

*But he denied, saying, I neither know, nor understand*

su ti LEgeis: kai eX*E*Lthen Ex*o* eis to proAUli-on [4259].

*what you say: and he went out into the fore court.*

 *c. 14:69 THE MAID REPEATS HER ACCUSATION*

kai h*e* paiDIsk*e* iDOUsa auTON, *E*Rxa-to PAlin LEgein

*And the maid saw him, and began again to say*

tois pa-reST*O*sin [HOti] HOUtos ex auT*O*N es-tin.

*to the bystanders [that] This is one of them.*

 *d. 14:70a But he again denied it.*

ho de PAlin *e*rNEIto [720].

 *e. 14:70b BYSTANDERS ACCUSE PETER*

kai meTA miKRON PAlin hoi pa-reST*O*tes Ele-gon t*o* PEtr*o*,

*And after a little again the bystanders said to :Peter,*

A-l*e*TH*O*S ex auT*O*N ei; kai gar Ga-liLAIos ei.

*Truly you are one of them; for you also are a Galilean.*

 *f. 14:71 PETER'S THIRD DENIAL OF HIS LORD*

ho de *E*Rxa-to a-na-the-maTIzein [332], kai omNUnai [3660],

*But he began to curse, and to swear,*

[HOti] Ouk OIda ton ANthr*o*-pon TOUton hon LEge-te.

*[that] I know not this :man of whom you speak.*

 *g. 14:72a And straightway a second time the cock crew.*

kai euTHUS ek deuTErou aLEKt*o*r ePH*O*n*e*-sen.

 *h. 14:72b JESUS' PROPHECY REMEMBERED*

kai a-nemN*E*Sth*e* [363] ho PEtros to 'R*E*ma, h*o*s EIpen auT*O* ho I*e*
SOUS,

*And :Peter remembered the word, how that :Jesus said to him,*

[HOti] Prin aLEKto-ra dis ph*o*N*E*sai, TRIS me a-parN*E*s*e* [533].

*[that] Before the cock crow twice, you shall deny me thrice.*

 *i. 14:72c And when he thought on it, he wept.*

kai e-pi-baL*O*N [1911], Eklai-en [2799].

 *NOTE**: *14:53-65 - Trial and Mockery of Jesus. If ever a mockery of
justice took place - this was it! Pilate was right! Out of envy the Jewish
leaders planned to destroy Jesus - all apart from justice.

 Then to see how the High Priest forced confession out of Jesus! (In another
Gospel, we learn that the High Priest adjured Jesus to answer!), and then he
misused this confession to extract from the Sanhedrin apart from agreed
witnesses - His prefabricated guilt. But think! What took place shamefully
2000 years ago, God had planned to work redemption on our behalf. *“While we
were yet sinners, Christ died for the ungodly.”* Did we deserve His
efficacious “Finished Work”? By no means. It is all of Grace! God's grace!
Yet, in our doctrinal positions - could it be possible that we have arrived
at conclusions - though not as serious, yet could be just as false? One day
each of us as individuals, following the return of Christ and His judgment
upon us from the B*E*ma - His Judgment Seat - will answer for *our* deeds
done in the body.

 What the prophets warned Israel of in the latter days of the Old Testament
- they did in mercy to spare them judgment for their sin. I have in recent
archival papers warned of the fallacy of “Replacement theology,” to spare
holders of such for the day *they* must answer to Christ. Numbers of my
friends resent this warning. But - what if this warning *is* correct? What
if Christ Himself holds this same position ? Wouldn't it be better to know
of such error ahead of time and make proper adjustments now? I personally
would appreciate such true and timely warnings. Just think of the dismay,
chagrin and fearful looking forward to judgment facing the religions leaders
of Jesus' day - at His Triumphant, Victorious Return! Who *they* thought was
a “blasphemer” - was actually *who He said He was*!

 I have nearly completed putting together God's Bible Numeric Interlinear
Greek New Testament. Truths previously hazy and somewhat unclear to me -
have been becoming remarkably clear. I even sense the Holy Spirit and angels
with me - helping me - even as John the Revelator when writing the book of
Revelation. I do *not* say a “Thus says the Lord” for my notes. But I do
say, if I were in the shoes of readers, I would consider.

 I have also outlined the entire Bible in the light of Bible Numerics, a
weekly outline of the 52 weeks, plus a daily outline of 366 days, with 7
verses for each, in the order of books as established by Bible Numerics.
Long before Ivan Panin, this remarkable Bible Structure had been uncovered
and discovered by many. Jean Astruc was but one of many. Because Panin
devoted his life to produce the Numeric Greek text and a translation of it -
his name is most strongly associated with this discovery. As you know, God
sovereignly dropped Panin's works into my hands as a new convert in 1944,
two years after Panin's death in Aldershot, Ontario. Ever since He has been
on my tail to finish the vision of Panin who died before seeing an
Interlinear Numeric Greek NT take place. J.A.W.

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE – Please email: **
jmbetter-unsubscribe at skagitattic.no-ip.org*

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES – Web:** **
http://skagitattic.no-ip.org/pipermail/jmbetter/** *