"Visions Beyond the Veil Introduction"

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 18:57:43 PDT 2010

*July 21, 2010
<http://www.2rbetter.org/>*

   “*VISIONS BEYOND THE VEIL” - H. A. BAKER*

*INTRODUCTION*

 The children and young people upon whom came this outpouring of the Holy
Spirit and through whom came these visions and revelations were members of
the Adullam Rescue Mission in Yunnanfu, Yunnan Province, China. For the most
part, these children had been beggars in the streets of the city. In some
cases they were poor children with one or both parents dead and had been
brought to the Home. There were also some prodigals who had run away from
their homes in more distant parts of this or adjoining provinces.

 But from whatever source they came, these children, mostly boys ranging in
ages from six to eighteen, had come to us without previous training in
morals and without education. Begging is a sort of “gang” system in which
stealing is a profitable part. The morals were what would be expected of a
“gang” in a godless land.

 The Bible is carefully and daily taught in the Adullam Home, and the gospel
is constantly preached. Since the children coming into the home have always
been open to the teachings given, before the outpouring of the Holy Spirit
recorded below, some of them were doubtless converted, while many had a very
good knowledge of the main themes of the Bible.

 All who received the Holy Spirit knew enough to believe in one God and to
trust in the blood of Christ for salvation. They also prayed for the
fullness of the Holy Spirit. They sought Christ. We did not see any one
seeking visions or any of the manifestations that were received day by day,
as all single heartedly prayed and praised the Lord Jesus. He alone was
sought and magnified throughout all the weeks of the Spirit's outpouring.

 In this visitation from the Lord all were treated impartially. The oldest
and the youngest, the first arrivals and the latest comers, the best and the
worst, all sitting together around their common Father's table were alike
treated to His heavenly bounties.

 This giving of the Promised Spirit was clearly a love gift of grace “apart
from works” or personal merit. It was not something that was worked up. It
was something that came down. It was not the result of character building by
man from below. It was a blessing of God that came from above.

 *The Experiences Herein Related are*

*Unexplainable on Natural Ground*

 The experiences of these Adullam children that are herein related cannot be
explained on natural ground, because:

 1. These wonders *could not possibly have been the product of the natural
minds of these children.* Such uneducated, mentally untrained, unimaginative
boys as these could not themselves have conceived of such things.

 2. These spiritual experiences, visions, and revelations *could not have
been the working of the subconscious mind.* Many of these children were too
young, too ignorant, or too recently rescued from heathenism to know the
Bible teaching on these subjects.

 3. Then, again, these things cannot be *explained by the psychology of
mental suggestion from others.* We ourselves had never seen such visions,
never been in meetings where there were such, or read or heard of such
visions as were given these children. These experiences were new to all of
us.

 4. Furthermore, the children *did not get these things from one
another.*When the power of the Lord fell in our midst many children
were filled with
the Spirit at the same time. Those who were in different rooms sometimes had
simultaneous visions of the same things. There was no possibility of
comparing one with another.

 5. *The complete harmony* of these visions covering numberless details is
beyond any natural explanation. Even the most ignorant children, who could
easily be confused on cross questioning, whether questioned singly or in
groups, gave as clear and uniform answers to questions covering great
numbers of details as could possibly have been given by eye witnesses of
anything.

 6. Neither can these experiences be explained as any sort of mental
excitement, religious frenzy, natural emotion, nervous state, nor any sort
of self-produced condition. This outpouring of the Holy Spirit came upon
normal children in a normal state of mind free from all the conditions just
mentioned.

 *The Visions and Revelations Given Adullam are*

*Consistent Supernatural Experiences in the True Church*

 Supernatural visions and revelations are foundation rocks upon which the
Church was established and upon which it stands. The whole Bible, Old and
New Testament, is a *supernatural* revelation from God.

 In the Old Testament, God revealed his will to men by speaking through
prophets by direct inspiration in which the *mind* of the prophet had no
part. The Lord appeared to men and spoke to them in a “voice” with “words.”
He thus spoke to Moses, as man speaks to man face to face. (*“Jehovah spoke
unto Moses face to face, as a man speaks unto his friend.” Exodus 33:11) *In
the Old Testament, God revealed himself to men in dreams, in visions, and in
various kinds of supernatural revelations. Angels brought messages to men
and were continually active as God's ambassadors in carrying out His plan of
redemption on earth.

 The New Testament, likewise, claims to be a *superhuman* revelation. Paul
said of the gospel he preached: *“Neither did I receive it from man, nor was
I taught it, but it came to me through **revelation** of Jesus Christ”
(Galatians 1:12). *What he wrote in all his epistles was simply a part of
this supernatural “revelation of Jesus Christ.”

 Without such working of the Holy Spirit and without such visions and
revelations as were given Adullam there would be *no Christianity at
all.*The true Church,
*begun* in this manner, exists to the present day because just such
supernatural manifestations formed the cradle in which it was born and
nursed into vigorous life. When Herod would destroy the baby Jesus, the wise
men were “warned of God in a dream.” (“Being warned of God in a dream.”
Matt.2:12. “An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream” Matt. 2:13.
“A vision appeared to Paul in the night. There was a man of Macedonia
standing . . . “ Acts 16:8-10. “The Lord said unto Paul in the night by a
vision.” Acts 18:9. “When I had returned to Jerusalem, and while I prayed in
in the temple, I fell into a trance.” Acts 22:17. “Peter went up upon the
housetop to pray. And . . . he fell into a trance.” Acts 10:9, 10. “And
there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter . . . and a voice came unto him again
the second time.” Acts 10:13-15. “Cornelius . . . saw in a vision openly . .
. “ Acts 10:1-3. “I John . . . was in the Spirit . . . and I heard behind me
a great voice . . . saying, What you see, write in a book.” Revelation
1:9-11. “But I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord. I know a
man in Christ, fourteen years ago (whether in the body, I know not; or
whether out of the body, I know not: God knows), such a one caught up even
to the third heaven . . . He was caught up into Paradise.” 2 Cor. 12:1-3 “By
reason of the exceeding greatness of the revelations, that I should not be
exalted overmuch there was given me a thorn in the flesh.” 2 Cor. 12:7. “An
angel of the Lord spoke unto Philip.” Acts 8:26. “There stood by me this
night an angel of the Lord whose I am, whom also I serve, saying, Fear not
Paul, You must stand before Caesar.” Acts 27:23-24. “Cornelius . . . saw in
a vision openly - an angel of God coming in unto him and saying to him . .
.” Acts 10:3. “And behold, an angel of the Lord stood by him, and a light
shone in the cell and he smote Peter on the side, and awoke him, saying,
Rise up quickly: And the chains fell off from his hands. And the angel said
unto him, Gird yourself, and bind on your sandals.” Acts 12:L7-8).

 An angel appeared to Joseph in a dream. One like a man of Macedonia
appeared to Paul in a *vision*. At Corinth the Lord spoke to him “in the
night by a vision.” When he was praying in the temple at Jerusalem he fell
into “a trance” and saw Jesus, who spoke to him, giving him directions for
his work. Peter also fell into “a trance” while praying on the house top. He
saw a *vision* and heard the Lord speaking to him in a *voice* with *words*.
An angel appeared to Cornelius in an open *vision* by day. The whole book of
Revelation was given to John as a *supernatural revelation* when he was “in
the Spirit.” It is a revelation from the Lord who spoke to him in “a great
voice,” and it is also a record of visions given in the Spirit and through
the ministry of angels. Paul either died and went to heaven “out of the
body” or was in vision caught up to heaven like our Adullam children and
there saw Paradise. He had such an abundance of these supernatural *
revelations* that the Lord had to send a thorn in the flesh to keep him
humble.

 Angels, also, had a large part in the work of the first church. The early
disciples were often *protected* and *directed* in their work by *the angels
*. In this way they were delivered from imminent danger from earthly powers.
An angel spoke to Philip, directing him to Gaza. An angel stood by Paul and
talked with him, encouraging and directing him. Cornelius, his household,
and his friends were led unto the way of salvation and into the baptism of
the Holy Spirit through the words of an angel who came to him. This angel,
appearing in bright apparel, talked with him, directing him to send for
Pater and then departed. When Peter was in prison an angel rescued him. This
angel loosened the chains from Peter's hands, told him to put on his
garments and shoes, opened the prison door and the city gate that was
locked, and led Peter into the street.

 Greatest of all the supernatural manifestations in the early church were
those of the mighty Holy Spirit,who came to that Church just as the Lord had
promised he would come after Christ ascended to the Father.

 That first church did not *read* prayers. Neither did that first church *
say* prayers. That first church prayed to God from the heart, and God
directly and *supernaturally *answered their heart cries. When the disciples
were in danger they got together and prayed to God. This was not
*formal*praying; it was not a cringing heartless, carefully worded
prayer meeting
for men's ears. Everybody prayed *at the same time; *everybody cried to God
in a *loud voice. *This was a special prayer meeting for one great need.

 When God answered, everybody knew He answered. The Holy Spirit shook the
house in which these people were praying, and every one was “filled with the
Holy Spirit,” with a mighty superhuman power. They then went out spreading
gospel fire in the very face of death.

 The early church had a *living* God. Through the Holy Spirit they had
Christ in their midst. He worked in them and through them supernaturally by
gifts of the Holy Spirit: “For to one is given through the Spirit the word
of wisdom; and to another the word of knowledge; to another faith . . . ; to
another workings of miracles . . . ; to another gifts of healings . . . ; to
another prophecy . . . ; to another discernings of spirits . . . ; to
another kinds of tongues . . . ; and to another interpretation of tongues”
(1 Cor. 12:7-10).

 Where is the Living God who brought our fathers up out of Egypt with a
mighty hand before the eyes of the heathen? Where is our God who once
answered in a *voice* that men could *hear*, yes, whose voice shook the
whole earth? What has become of the God who from the time the earth was
created sent his angels to walk and to talk with his people?

 What has become of the angels?

 And the Christ of the Bible? Where is He? Have they taken away our Lord, so
we cannot find where they have laid Him?

 What has become of His “Promise”? Christ said that if He should go away it
would be better than ever for His people, for God would walk with them more
than in all the ages past. His Promise was, “It is expedient for you that I
go away, for if I do not go away the Comforter will not come unto you; but
if I go I will send Him unto you.” “He that believes on me, the works that I
do shall he do also.” (John 16:7; 14:12).

 Our Lord has gone. Where, oh, where is the Holy Spirit that was to come to
take His place; to carry on His uncompleted task; to work in the midst of
His Church in signs and wonders and gifts of the Holy Spirit? Has God died?
If so, when? Or has God withdrawn so far away that He cannot hear? Can not
God talk any more? Have the angels deserted us for some other universe? If
so, when did they forsake us? After all, is the Holy spirit, this great
power of God, this great substitute for the miracle working Christ, the
Christ whose words the winds and waves obeyed, whose words burst the tombs;
is this Great Substitute just a gentle influence? Where is the Holy Spirit
Who shook and filled a whole house of praying disciples and through them
shook a world?

 If ever there was a Living God, if ever there were angels, if ever there
was a wonder working Christ, if the Holy Spirit was ever given, if the Bible
is a supernatural revelation from God, then such trances, visions,
revelations, and workings of the Holy Spirit as have been given Adullam are
supernatural visitations from God such as we should expect.

 These trances, visions, revelations, and supernatural manifestations are
normal experiences in the supernaturally founded, supernaturally filled,and
supernaturally directed Church of the New Testament, the only Church the
Bible tells or foretells anything about.

 *NOTE*: This morning early (Wednesday July 21, 2010), as I spent time n
prayer, it came to me that I ought to send you the above book by section. It
will take some 3 months to do so, which has previously been done serially in
several languages. I will alternate it on a weekly basis with the sections
on the Book of Acts. One on my mailing list asked if I could help him get
“Visions Beyond the Veil:, because he is unable to get on the Website to
order it. For those of you who can, go to
*<**www.IrisMin.com*<http://www.irismin.com/>
*>*

 An Email came to me yesterday from a friend of the Baker's Ministry in
Mozambique, Rolland and Heidi. Rolland is grandson to H. A. Baker, and has
republished the above book. His son Elish James Baker has revised the
Autobiography of his great grandfather H.A. Baker, “Under His Wings”, with
an Updated Foreward of his own. Here is the information so you can freely
download this amazing book. - J.A.W.

 Thank you so much for sharing this inspiring excerpt from “Under His
Wings”.  You may also be interested to know that Rolland’s son Elisha has
recently transcribed the entire book and it is now available for free
download at http://www.irismin.org/Under%20His%20Wings%20v1.3.1.pdf  I’ve
also attached a copy of the pdf file for you.  It also contains an updated
Foreword by Elisha in addition to the original Foreword by H.A. Baker.

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE -- Please Email: