2 Timothy 4:9-22

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 09:13:33 PDT 2010

*March 27, 2010
<http://www.2rbetter.org/>*

   *2 TIMOTHY 4:9-22*

 *D. 4:9-18 END OF A SOLDIER*

*a. 4:9-10 TIMOTHY REQUESTED TO COME*

SPOUda-son [4704] elTHEIN PROS me taCHE*o*s [5030]:

*Give diligence to come shortly unto me:*

D*e*MAS GAR me eg-kaTElei-pen [1459], a-gaP*E*sas [25] ton nun ai*O*na,

*10 for Demas forsook me, having loved the present age, *

kai e-poREUth*e* eis Thes-sa-loNIk*e*n;

*and went to Thessalonica;*

KR*E*sk*e*s eis Ga-laTIan, TItos eis Dal-maTIan.

*Cresces to Galatia, Titus to Dalmatia.*

 *b. 4:11a LUKE: PAUL'S SOLE HELPER AT THE END*

LouKAS es-tin MOnos met' eMOU.

*Only Luke is with me.*

 *c. 4:11b MARK NEEDED*

MARkon a-na-laB*O*N [353] Age meTA se-auTOU;

*Take Mark and bring him with you; *

EStin GAR moi EUchr*e*-stos [2173] eis di-a-koNIan [1248].

*for he is useful to me for ministry.*

 *d. 4:12 TYCHICUS*

Tu-chiKON de aPEstei-la [649] eis Ephe-son.

*But Tychicus I sent to Ephesus.*

 *e. 4:13 PERSONAL REQUESTS*

ton pheLOn*e*n hon [5341] aPElei-pon [820] en Tr*o*Adi paRA KARp*o*,
erCHOme-nos PHEre,

*The cloak that I left at Troas with Carpus, bring when you come,*

kai ta bibLIa [975], MAli-sta [3122] tas memBRAnas [3200].

*and the booklets, especially the parchments.*

 *f. 4:14-15 WARNING CONCERNING ALEXANDER*

A-LExan-dros ho chalKEUS polLA moi kaKA e-neDEIxa-to [1731]:

*Alexander the coppersmith displayed toward me many evil things:*

a-poD*O*sei [591] auT*O* ho KUri-os kaTA ta ERga auTOU:

*the Lord will render to him according to his :works:*

hon kai su phuLASsou [5442] LIan [3029] gar anTESt*e* [436] tois h*e*-meTErois
LOgois.

*15 of whom YOU beware also for he greatly withstood our :words.*

 *g. 4:16 PAUL'S FIRST ANSWER*

En t*e* PR*O*t*e* mou a-poloGIa [627] ouDEIS moi pa-reGEne-to [4836],

*At my first :defence no one took my part,*

alLA PANtes me eg-kaTElei-pon [1459]: m*e* auTOIS lo-gisTHEI*e* [3049].

*but all forsook me: be it not laid to their account.*

 *h. 4:17 DELIVERANCE BY THE LORD*

ho de KUriOS moi paRESt*e* [3936], kai e-ne-duNAm*o*SEN [1743] me;

*But the Lord stood by me, and strengthened me;*

HIna di' eMOU to K*E*rug-ma [2782] pl*e*-ro-pho-r*e*TH*E* [4135],

*that through me the proclamation might be thoroughly made,*

kai aKOUs*o*-sin [191] PANta ta ETHn*e* [1484]:

*and all the nations might hear:*

kai eRUSth*e*n [4506] ek STOma-tos [4750] LEon-tas [3023].

*and I was delivered out of the lion's mouth.*

 *i. 4:18a CONFIDENCE*

'RUseTAI [4506] me ho KUri-os aPO panTOS ERgou po-n*e*ROU,

*The Lord will deliver me from every evil work,*

kai S*O*sei [4982] eis t*e*n ba-siLEIan [932] auTOU t*e*n e-pouRAni-on
[2032]:

*and will save me unto his heavenly :kingdom:*

h*o* h*e* DOxa eis tous ai*O*nas t*o*n ai*O*n*o*n.

*to whom be the glory unto the ages of the ages.*

 *j. 4:18b Amen. *aM*E*N.

 *E. 4:19-21 SALUTATIONS*

*1. 4:19 GREETINGS TO THREE*

Aspa-sai [782] PRISkan kai A-KUlan, kai ton O-n*e*siPHOrou OIkon.

*Greet Prisca and Aquila, and the house of Onesiphorus.*

 *2. 4:20-21a PAUL'S NEED*

*a. 4:20 PAUL IS SOLITARY*

Era-stus Emei-nen en KoRINth*o*:

*Erastus remained at Corinth:*

TROphi-mon de aPElei-pon [620] en MiL*E*t*o* as-theNOUNta [770].

*but Trophimus I left at Miletus sick.*

 *b. 4:21a PAUL'S PLEA*

SPOUda-son [4704] pro cheiM*O*nos [5495] elTHEIN [2064].

*Give diligence to come before winter.*

 *3. 4:21b TIMOTHY GREETED*

A-SPAzeTAI [782] se EUbou-los, kai POUd*e*s, kai LInos,

*Eubulus greets you, and Pudes, and Linus,*

kai KlauDIa, kai hoi a-delPHOI PANtes.

*and Claudia, and all the brethren.*

 *F. 4:22 PAUL'S APOSTOLIC BENEDICTION*

*a. 4:22a THE LORD'S PRESENCE*

Ho KUri-os meTA tou PNEUmaTOS [4151] sou.

*The Lord be with your :spirit.*

 *b. 4:22b GRACE*

h*e* CHAris [5485] meth' huM*O*N.

*The grace be with you.*

 *NOTE**: *D. 4:9-18 - The End of a Soldier. Paul here is not like General
Douglas MacArthur - he *didn't* just fade away! *He* had faith in the Lord
to help him to triumphantly finish his earthly pilgrimage - and then have a
glorious welcome into God's eternal home!

 Look at how Paul mellowed in his later years. But of course, he no doubt
noted a new faithfulness in Mark, too! What brought sharp division between
Paul and Barnabas in days gone by - has *now* come to an end! He wants
Timothy to bring Mark with him. HE will now be useful to Paul for ministry.
Mark's Gospel is also a great addition to the NT. He presents Jesus in a
light most appealng to Romans: a Gospel of dispatch and swift effectiveness.
It also exudes the nature of Jesus as the true servant of God symbolized by
the ox, one of the 4 faces of Ezekiel's initial vision of the cherubim.

 See also Paul's concern to shield Timothy from the wicked machinations of
Alexander the Coppersmith!

 It is sad to see that just as all Jesus' disciples forsook Him, and even
denied Him at the time of His Cross - yet just as He spoke forgiveness to
them from the Cross in one of His last 7 words - so Paul spoke forgiveness
for those who failed to stand with him in his defense. But how wonderful
that these two who were both forsaken, yet the One came to stand with Paul
in his solitary defense. Jesus cared! Jesus understood! In the light of
this, Paul could confidently proclaim in a positive word, that this divine
deliverance would continue to the very end!

 E.1. 4:19 - Paul's greeting to Priscilla and Aquila is most timely. This
couple appear in the NT 6 times, always together. In the Authorized Version,
it is 3 times Aquila and Priscilla, and 3 times Priscilla and Aquila. But in
the Numeric Interlinear NT is is 2 times Aquila and Priscilla, but *4
times*Priscilla and Aquila. “Name order” by the Holy Spirit through NT
writers is
most important. Priscilla was like the OT Deborah: charismatic, and
spiritually aggressive. Aquila was a ruling elder: calm, judicious, careful,
and a true covering for his wife. He unselfishly released her to function in
their 3 churches in the home: Rome, Ephesus and Corinth. It was a function
of Priscilla much like that of Mary Slessor of Calabar and Sophie Muller of
New Tribes Mission in South America. Paul was happy by his name-positioning
to honor Priscilla for the unusual ministry in which she functioned. When
Apollos visited their church - and obviously was lacking in the clear
understanding of the Gospel that she and her husband had been taught - she
quite possibly said to her husband, “Aquila dear - we need to invite Apollos
home for dinner. I'll fix up a meal that opens up a man to hear from God.
Then we'll show him the Gospel more accurately concerning the Peter-Package
of Acts 2:38 - and how Paul makes this ever so much clearer.” They did - and
Apollos received the enlightenment - and the Kingdom of God went forward yet
more effectively.

 For whom this verse is an encouragement, Let it indeed be encouraging!

 4:20 - Take note that God did not always heal immediately Paul's
fellow-workers. Trophimus had to be left behind on this occasion, sick.
Those who press healing too strongly in the light of this, should reconsider
their position. Dr. E. Stanley Jones had very wise counsel in the various
roles of healing that God is often pleased to use. Dr. Jones found 6 of
these areas. One is perfect healing for some on their arrival in heaven.
Some find this difficult to accept. But *this* was the role for the prophet
Elisha! But others come under great condemnation because of too rigid a
position held out to them. Did Jesus provide the double-cure? Of course! But
is the timing and testing involved in reception sometimes difficult to
understand? Indeed! Here then is where we need to extend grace to one
another in these difficult areas. - J.A.W.

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE -- Please Email: