1 Timothy 4:1-16

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 14:21:54 PST 2010

*March 5, 2010
<http://www.2rbetter.org/>*

   *D & E. 1 TIMOTHY 4:1-16*

 *D. 4:1-10 FOREWARNING OF LAST DAY APOSTASY*

*1. 4:1-5 FALSE TEACHING FORETOLD FOR LATTER DAYS*

*a. 4:1-3 c DEMONS AND FALSE TEACHERS*

To de PNEUma 'r*e*T*O*S [4490] LEgei,

*But the Spirit says expressly,*

HOti en huSTErois [5306] kaiROIS [2540] a-poST*E*sonTAI [868] ti-nes t*e*s
PIste-*o*s,

*that in later seasons some shall fall from the faith,*

proSEchon-tes [4337] PNEUma-si PLAnois [4108] kai di-da-skaLIais [1319]dai-moNI
*o*n [1140],

*giving heed to deceiving spirits and teachings of demons,*

en hu-poKRIsei [5272] pseu-doLOg*o*n [5573], ke-kau-st*e*-ri-asMEn*o*n
[2743] t*e*n iDIan suNEId*e*-sin [4893];

*2 through hypocrisy of lying speakers, their own conscience branded;*

k*o*luONt*o*n [2967] gaMEIN [1060], ePEches-thai [567] br*o*MAt*o*n [1033],

*3 forbidding to marry, commanding to abstain from meats,*

ha ho TheOS EKti-sen [2936] eis meTAl*e*m-psin [3336] meTA eu-cha-riSTIas
[2169]

*which :God created to be received with thanksgiving*

tois piSTOIS kai e-peg-n*o*KOsi [1921] t*e*n aL*E*thei-an.

*by them that believe and know the truth.*

 *b. 4:4-5 ALL FOOD GIVEN BY GOD*

HOti pan KTISma [2938] TheOU kaLON,

*Because every creature of God is good,*

kai ouDEN aPObl*e*-ton [579], meTA eu-cha-riSTIas lam-baNOme-non:

*and nothing is to be rejected, if received with thanksgiving:*

a-giAze-tai [37] gar diA LOgou TheOU kai enTEUxe-*o*s [1783].

*5 for it is sanctified through God's word and prayer.*

 *2. 4:6-10 THE CORRECTIVE TO THE FALSE TEACHER*

*a. 4:6 PUTTING IN MIND*

TAUta hu-po-tiTHEme-nos [5294] tois a-delPHOIS,

*If you put the brethren in mind of these things,*

kaLOS Es*e* diAko-nos [1249] ChrisTOU 'I*e*SOU,

*you shall be a good minister of Christ Jesus, *

en-trePHOme-nos [1789] tois LOgois t*e*s PIste-*o*s

*nourished in the words of the faith*

kai t*e*s kaL*E*S di-da-skaLIas [1319] h*e* pa-r*e*-koLOUth*e*-kas [3877]:

*and of the good teaching which you have followed on:*

tous de beB*E*lous [952] kai gra*O*deis [1126] MUthous [3454] pa-raiTOU
[3868].

*but refuse profane and old women's fables.*

 *b. 4:7-8 THE VALUE OF GODLINESS*

GUMna-ze [1128] de se-auTON pros euSEbei-an [2150]:

*And exercise yourself unto godliness:*

h*e* gar s*o*-ma-tiK*E* [4984] gum-naSIa [1129] pros oLIgon [3641]
esTIN *o*PHEli-mos
[5624];

*8 for the bodily exercise is profitable for little;*

h*e* de euSEbei-a [2150] pros PANta *o*PHEliMOS [5624] es-tin,

*but :godliness is profitable for all things, *

e-pag-geLIan [1860] Echou-sa z*o*-*E*S [2222] t*e*s nun, kai t*e*s melLOUs*e
*s.

*having promise of the life now, and of the one to come.*

 *c. 4:9 TRUST THE EXHORTATION TO GODLINESS*

piSTOS ho LOgos, kai PAs*e*s a-po-doCH*E*S [594] Axi-os [514].

*Faithful the saying, and worthy of all acceptation.*

 *d. 4:10 HOPE IN GOD: AN INCENTIVE TO GODLINESS*

eis TOUto gar ko-pi*O*men [2872] kai a-g*o*-niZOme-tha [3679],

*For unto this we labor and strive,*

HOti *e*lPIca-men [1679] ePI The*O* Z*O*Nti [2198],

*because we have our hope set on a living God,*

HOS es-tin s*o*T*E*R [4190] PANt*o*n anTHR*O*p*o*n, MAli-sta [3122] piST*O*
N.

*who is Savior of all men, specially of the faithful.*

 *E. 4:11-16 STANDARDS FOR THE MINISTER*

*a. 4:11 A SOLEMN CHARGE*

PaRAGgel-le [3853] TAUta kai DIda-ske [1321].

*These things command and teach.*

 *b. 4:12 TIMOTHY: AN EXAMPLE*

m*e*DEIS sou t*e*s neOt*e*-tos [3503] ka-ta-phroNEIt*o* [2706];

*Let no one despise your :youth;*

alLA TUpos [5179] GInou t*o*n piST*O*N, en LOg*o*,

*but be an example to the faithful, in word,*

en a-na-stroPH*E* [391], en aGAp*e*, en PIstei, en hagNIa [47].

*in behavior, in love, in faith, in purity.*

 *c. 4:13 THE BALANCE OF A 3-FOLD MINISTRY*

HE*o*s ERcho-mai, PROse-che [4337] t*e* a-nagN*O*sei [320], t*e* pa-raKL*E*sei
[3874], t*e* di-da-skaLIa [1319].

*Till I come, give heed to the reading, the exhortation, the teaching.*

 *d. 4:14 THE CHARISMATIC MINISTRY: HOW GIVEN*

m*e* aMElei [272] tou en soi chaRISma-tos [5486],

*Neglect not the gift in you,*

ho eDOth*e* soi diA pro-ph*e*TEIas [4394],

*which was given you through prophecy,*

meTA e-piTHEse-*o*s [1936] t*o*n cheiR*O*N tou pres-bu-teRIou [4244].

*with laying on of the hands of the presbytery.*

 *e. 4:15 GROWTH: NECESSARY FOR THE MINISTER*

TAUta meLEta [3191]; en TOUtois ISthi;

*Be diligent in these; give yourself wholly to these;*

HIna sou h*e* pro-koP*E* [4297] pha-neRA [5318] *e* PAsin.

*that your :progress be manifest to all.*

 *f. 4:16a LIFE AND TEACHNG: A STEWARDSHIP TO FULFIL*

Epe-che [1907] se-auT*O*, kai t*e* di-da-skaLIa [1319].

*Take heed to yourself, and to the teaching.*

 *g. 4:16b SALVATION CONTINUES TO FLOW: WHEN STEWARDSHIP MAINTAINED*

ePIme-ne {1961] auTOIS; TOUto gar poi*O*N

*Continue therein; for in doing this*

kai se-auTON S*O*seis [4982] kai tous aKOUonTAS [191] sou.

*you shall save both yourself and your :hearers.*

 * NOTE: *In 1947 a book came into my hands while I was attending St.
Andrew's College in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. It was entitled, “*Let God Say
What He Wants to Say, and Let the Bible Mean What It Wants to Mean!”* It
made a decided impression on me, and though it may seem like a small
incident in my past life - yet I believe God was in it - and to this day I *
still* aim to walk in this truth. The last mailing on 1 Timothy 2 & 3 with
my Notes on these two chapters reveal that I do not regard the “traditions”,
thinking and writings of man as highly as I do what God and His Word say!

 Is it costly to take this stance? Decidedly! It is like salmon swimming and
fighting upstream to spawn. They are going against the current and much
more. To go against the current writing and teaching in the church is
running counter to what in a spiritual sense is politically incorrect. But
Daniel in his day lived this way, and God looked after him in 3 Empires,
putting him high up to Emperors in each case. But if we take our eyes off
things in the world, and live “With Eternity's Values in view” - we may not
like Daniel be promoted and protected as was he - but we will *not* miss out
in eternity. There *is* a “Judgment Seat of Christ” for each believer at His
return - and *there* we will receive *righteous* judgment, even though down
here it does not always come.

 So I am committed to stand with God's word entirely, as I am able to
understand it. I *do* love the Word of God - the Bible - and have given
myself to making it known and available as simply and as accurately as I
know how. I had an assistant who consistently departed from the standard in
producing Panin's Interlinear Greek NT, and I had to take a stand in
renouncing his inaccurate and self-serving work. Unfortunately for him, he
spent 1000's of hours doing his own thing, and wonders why he does not have
open doors for his ministry. Panin has had 4 friends who in the past claimed
to be his friends - but were actually stabbing him in the back. “Who needs
enemies, when they have such self-proclaimed friends?”

 I am also committed to bringing to pass both Panin's Greek and English NT
texts into an Interlinear format, along with Greek Word studies true to
letting the Word mean what it wants to mean, and seeking not to insert my
own private interpretations.

 4:1-5 - A *serious* unveiling of the dangers we face from those who forsake
the truth is here. For such understand where we are coming from, and know
how to cause us to go astray if possible. See for instance, how “Soros” has
forsaken his Jewish heritage, and has made such serious inroads into
American Jews today in the Diaspora. Paul clearly reveals that those who
forsake the faith become aided by demons - so we have two areas about which
to be concerned. Even our government has been undermined by this Soros.

 4:6-10 - Then Paul shows what Timothy can do positively to overcome the
danger of false teachers. Be aware of the danger. Don't be naive and bury
your head like an ostrich in the sand. Those who go “overboard” in being
“politically correct,” fall into this foolish syndrome. Keep to sound
teaching. Refuse the fables of old women. And - *don't* go overboard in
physical excellence; godliness will do much more for us in the long run as
we *major* in *this* direction. Then Paul underlines this position by
accentuating the *faithfulness* of it, and that it should be accepted. Our
hope set on a *Living God*, Jesus - the *Savior* of all men - will see us
through. All of these positions are for us - but through apostolic city
pastors such as Timothy and Titus, they will come to us with effectiveness.

 - 4:11-16 - Here is a truly personal word from a mentor to his son in the
faith! What has been given to Timothy is to be both *commanded* and taught.
And - this is *best done* by *example*. To say, *“Do as I say, but not as I
do,”* is rank hypocrisy!

 Notice the 3 things Paul picks out for “Timothy to emphasize: *Reading*!
John promises a special blessing for reading the book of Revelation. Paul's
letters are to be read and commented upon. *Most* important!

 *Exhortation*! Like a cheer leader! Like the “cloud of witnesses” for
*us*in the Arena!

 *Teaching*! - Timothy is not to take this for granted. Ensure that all
believers in Ephesus are thoroughly grounded first in the “milk of the word”
- the foundation truths - and then on to strong meat! We stand victoriously
when we are solidly grounded. When the Word is our great Plumbline - then we
can quickly spot error.

 4:14 is an enlargement on 1:18! Not only did Paul lay hands on Timothy for
ordination, but so also the Eldership of the 3 cities from where Timothy
came. This was accompanied with *prophecy*. This doctrine was restored in
action in 1948 at North Battleford, Saskatchewan. Gifts of the Spirit - the
“Charismata” - were imparted at that time. These gifts can fall into disuse
through neglect. Paul was ensuring that Timothy would not fail in this
respect.

 To me, 4:15 is a most crucial insight. The word “meLEta” - be diligent -
can also be translated “*meditate*” on my instructions to you - vocally and
prayerfully! Like Joshua in 1:8 - Keep these words *in your mouth*. Don't be
silent in these things of faith! And meditate with the end in view to *do*them!
*Then* one's way becomes prosperous - and *then* he has good success!

 Maintain and keep up to date on these teachings! Salvation for *self* and *
hearers* is the sure result! J.A.W.

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*