Urim and Thummim

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 19:18:55 PST 2010

*February 11, 2010 <http://www.2rbetter.org/>*

   *URIM AND THUMMIM** - February 11, 2010*

 In the “Fall” of 1942 I received a call from God to the “ministry”, though
at the time I did not know Him. However, I obeyed Him to join the Navy in
June of 1943, and 9 months later He revealed Himself to me through reading
the Book of Romans.

 I knew the Bible somewhat from a Modernistic background, but felt the need
to know it more accurately, so that I would understand what I had got myself
into by yielding to the call of entering the Ministry. So I read the Bible
through in 6 weeks. One of the two things that gripped my attention through
this reading overview, was the *“Urim and Thummim”.* The Spirit revealed to
me that it had a spiritual application both for me and others.

 I questioned a number of pastors and Christians in Victoria, B.C., and
searched through a number of books, but did not receive a satisfactory
explanation. Then I remembered that as a paper-boy, one of my customers was
a convert from a Jewish background to Christianity, while still maintaining
her Jewish heritage. She had literally memorized the entire Bible, much of
it in Hebrew as well as in English. At my first Naval leave, I hitch-hiked
home to Port Alberni from Esquimalt, a naval suburb of Victoria, B.C., and
went to her home to quiz her on my problem.

 A big smile came over her face, and she said, “Turn to Proverbs 6:20-23,
and read to me.* “My son, keep the commandment of your father, and forsake
not the law (Torah, or Teaching) of your mother: **21** Bind them
continually upon your heart; Tie them about your neck. **23** When you walk,
it **shall lead you**; When you sleep, **it shall watch over you**; And when
you awake, **it shall talk with you**. **23** For the commandment is a **
lamp**; and the law is **light**; And reproofs of instruction are the way of
life.”*

 These verses *exactly* parallel Exodus 28:15-30, for the breastplate of
judgment *was bound* upon Aaron the High Priest's heart, and *tied* about
his neck! And in this breastplate was the Urim and Thummim. *“And you shall
put in the breastplate of judgment **the Urim and Thummim**; and they shall
be upon Aaron's heart, when he goes in before Jehovah: and Aaron shall bear
the judgment of the children of Israel upon his heart before Jehovah
continually” (Exodus 28:30).*

 Urim and Thummim means “Lights and Perfection”. Urim is a light from God's
Word to guide us. It also protects us, and talks to us, for the law (Torah)
is a light! Psalm 27:1 says, *“Jehovah is my **light** and my salvation.” *And
Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 6:48, *“YOU shall be **
perfect**, as your :heavenly :Father is **perfect**.”*

 So *God* in His Word, and Jesus as our Living Word, are our *light* and *
Perfection*. When we put *Christ* in our heart, we have a spiritual Urim and
Thummim!

 David made more use of the Urim and Thummim than any other Bible man. Even
before he was king, while King Saul was yet alive, David continually
consulted God by having the Ephod brought to him. For the Breastplate of
Judgment was bound to the Ephod, and in that was the Urim and Thummim. When
David was fleeing from Saul for his life, Doeg slew Ahitub and all the
priests of Nob except Abiathar, who fled for safety to David, bringing *the
Ephod* with him (1 Samuel 23:6). So when David *wondered* if the men of
Keilah whom he had protected - would yet betray him to Saul, he inquired of
Jehovah through Urim, and the Lord through Urim said they *would* betray
him. Previously God in 1 Samuel 23:2 and 4, when David inquired of Him, gave
him accurate answers through Urim.

 But when *Saul* inquired of the Lord, He did *not* answer him through
dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets 1 Samuel 28:6). Then when David became
King over both Judah and Israel, the Philistines came up against him while
he was yet new as king. David inquired of the Lord what he should do (2
Samuel 5:19) and God assured him through Urim that he would have victory
over them. But the Philistines felt that another army as large as the first
would do the trick. David *again* inquired of the Lord, and He gave *
different* instructions (2 Samuel 5:22-25). David was to make an ambush -
and wait till he heard God's angels going to war over the trees - to knock
out the Philistines. *Then* David was to go in and “mop-up”. All this
happened *exactly* as the Lord foretold.

 Some of the rabbis in the Talmud and Mishnah believed that the Urim and
Thummim were two stones: one black and one white. When the priest reached
into the pocked of the Breastplate and brought one stone out - white meant
“Yes”; and black, “No”. That is patently wrong, because the two answers
David got from Urim in 2 Samuel 5 were detailed messages what to do,
especially the second. “Prophecy” through the High Priest accompanied Urim,
to give such detailed answers.

 In 1944, God not only gave me the answer to Urim through Mrs. Mary Bertha
Allquist - He also put into my hands the secrets of George Muller, who
profited strongly from George Whitefield - in the area of Bible Meditation!
As we “pray over” God's Word, the Holy Spirit speaks to us - as in Proverbs
6:20-22. I have found it so regularly in my 66 years as a Christian. God is
faithful! This builds up Christ Jesus in our hearts, and He by His Spirit
does for us what David received in his day.

 Numbers have noted my references to Urim and Thummim through the years, and
asked how they practically can gear into these secrets and mysteries, like
David, George Muller, Rees Howells, Oswald Chambers and others. The above
can be an open door to *any* believer to enter into these blessings also - *for
God* is *no respecter* of persons. Find the secret, and meet the conditions,
and it will work for you also.

 In 1963 I was speaking in a town East of Cashmere, Washington. A lady
challenged me on the promises of God concerning one's devotional prayer
language as outlined in 1 Corinthians 14. She said that she came up
*dry*from an hour of such prayer, and “
*What* was I going to say about *that*?” I asked her about her use of the *
Word* in her devotions. “Oh - I don't use the Bible,” she replied.
“*That's*your problem,” I responded. “Take a Psalm a day for 5 months
followed by
Proverbs, and then repeat this for the next 6 months. Read *aloud* on your
knees a verse or two at a time, and then pray over them devotionally. Then
divide the rest of the Bible and read it, an OT book at a time, and then one
from the NT in an alternate manner: Genesis, Matthew; Exodus, Mark;
Leviticus, Luke; etc. She asked me to write it out, which I did, and
entitled it, *Read Your Bible Through in One Year*.

 We have literally seen tens of thousands go all over the world. We even saw
copies in Egypt in 1980. We are soon going to put a copy of this on our
Website, so that you can also make use of this secret. I have outlined the
entire Bible on this format, and am presently producing an Interlinear Greek
NT based on God's Bible Numerics as discovered by Ivan Panin. There are
Greek Word Studies also based on this discovery. The Interlinear NT is
currently in process of being put into print.

 So - Urim and Thummim - is *not* just an idle subject, but a door of great
blessing through Bible Meditation. See Joshua 1:8; Psalm 1:1-3; Psalm 19:14
for further encouragement to pursue this secret of George Muller and George
Whitefield. J.A.W.

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*