Hebrews 5:1-10

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 12:00:58 PST 2009

*December 24, 2009 <http://www.2rbetter.org/>*

*
<http://www.2rbetter.org/>*

*D. HEBREWS 5:1-10 HIGH PRIESTLY MINISTRY OF JESUS AFTER MELCHIZEDEK*

 *a. 5:1-3 COMPASSION: REQUIREMENT FOR PRIESTS*

Pas gar ar-chi-eREUS [749], ex anTHR*O*p*o*n lam-baNOme-nos,

*For every high priest, being taken from men,*

huPER anTHR*O*p*o*n kaTHISta-tai [2525] ta pros ton TheON,

*is appointed for men in things :pertaining to :God,*

HIna prosPHEr*e* [4374] D*O*-RA te kai thuSIas [2378] huPER ha-mar-ti*O*N
[266]:

*that he offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins:*

me-tri-o-paTHEIN [3356] duNAme-nos tois ag-noOUsi [50] kai pla-n*o*MEnois
[4105],

*2 who can bear gently with the ignorant and erring,*

ePEI kai auTOS peRIkei-tai [4029] asTHEnei-an [769];

*since himself also is surrounded with infirmity;*

kai di' auT*E*N oPHEIlei [3784], kaTH*O*S peRI tou laOU,

*3 and by it is bound, as for the people,*

HOUt*o*s kai peRI he-auTOU, prosPHErein [4374] peRI ha-mar-ti*O*N [266].

*so also for himself, to offer for sins.*

 *b. 5:4 PRIESTS APPOINTED BY GOD*

kai ouch he-auT*O* tis lamBAnei t*e*n tiM*E*N [5092],

*And no one takes the honor unto himself,*

alLA kaLOUme-nos [2563] huPO tou TheOU, kaTH*O*Sper kai AaR*O*N.

*but when called of :God, even as also was Aaron.*

 *c. 5:5-6 CHRIST: CHOSEN BY GOD AS HIGH PRIEST*

HOUt*o*s kai ho ChrisTOS ouch he-auTON eDOxa-sen [1392] ge-n*e*TH*E*nai
ar-chi-eREa [749],

*So :Christ also glorified not himself to become high priest,*

all' ho laL*E*sas pros auTON, HuiOS mou ei su,

*but who spoke unto him, You are my Son,*

eG*O* S*E*me-ron geNENn*e*KA [1080] se:

*I today have begotten you:*

kaTH*O*S kai en heTEr*o* LEgei, Su hi-eREUS [2409] eis ton ai*O*na [165]

*6 as he says also in another place, You are priest unto the age*

kaTA t*e*n TAxin [5010] Mel-chi-seDEK.

*After the order of Melchizedek.*

 *d. 5:7-10 CHRIST'S PERFECTION: CAME THROUGH SUFFERING*

hos en tais h*e*MErais t*e*s sarKOS [4561] auTOU,

*Who in the days of his :flesh, *

de*E*seis [1162] te kai hi-ke-t*e*RIas [2428] pros ton duNAme-non S*O*zein
[4982] auTON ek thaNAtou

*having offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears*

meTA krauG*E*S [2906] is-chuRAS [2478] kai daKRU*o*n [1144] pro-seNEGkas
[4374],

*unto the **one** who could save him from death,*

kai ei-sa-kousTHEIS [1522] aPO t*e*s eu-laBEIas [2124],

*and having been heard for his :godly fear,*

KAIper *o*n huiOS, Ema-then [3129] aph' *o*n Epa-then [3958] t*e*n hu-pa-ko*
E*N [5218];

*8 though he was a Son, yet learned :obedience by what he suffered;*

kai, te-lei-*o*THEIS [5048], eGEne-to PAsin tois hu-paKOUou-sin [5219] auT*O
*

*9 and, perfected, he became unto all that obey him*
 AIti-os [159] s*o*-t*e*RIas [4991] ai-*o*NIou [166];

*the cause of eternal salvation;*

pro-sa-go-reuTHEIS [4316] huPO tou TheOU ar-chi-eREUS [749] kaTA t*e*n TAxin
[5010] Mel-chi-seDEK.

*10 named of :God high priest after the order of Melchizedek.*

 *NOTE: *Psalm 110 according to some, is the most often quoted portion of OT
Scripture in the NT. And - it all revolves aound God's appointment of Jesus
as His only begotten Son, into this high eternal calling as the Great High
Priest after the order of Melchizedek! And - because Jesus is not only Son
of God, but also Son of man, He is so identified with us in our humanity,
that He perfectly understands our infirmities, and can therefore deal gently
with us in our ignorance and erring. What a Savior! What a Redeemer! What a
Great High Priest! There is *no one* like Jesus on our behalf.

 5:7-10 - Many of us have seen Mel Gibson's “The Passion of the Christ.” It
is a true picture of Jesus' physical suffering on our behalf; but it
completely passes by His s*piritual* suffering. “*Cursed* is every man who
hangs upon a tree.” Because Jesus did so at Calvary, He became *a curse* for
us. His *soul* was made an offering for sin. One man - Adam - brought sin
into the entire human race - the heredity of sin. One man - Jesus - worked
mighty redemption on behalf of the complete human race - past, present and
future! When the curse of the cross entered into His sinless soul, He was
forsaken by God, and His anguish spiritually over shone His physical
suffering a thousand fold! Maybe *much* more!

 But not only did He have this final unfathomable suffering on the Cross on
our behalf - but all through His life He suffered and learned obedience as
Son of Man through His sufferings. How could we *not* help but yield to Him
our all, as the Holy Spirit makes real to us what redemption on your behalf
and mine truly cost the matchless Son of God? Then we begin to understand
the spirit of Oswald Chambers when he said - the answer is “*Personal*, *
passionate* *devotion* to Jesus! - J.A.W.

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE -- Please Email: