Colossians 3:18-4:18

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 18:38:42 PST 2009

*November 13, 2009
<http://www.2rbetter.org/>*

  *Part 4. COLOSSIANS 3:18-4:18*

 *G. 3:18-4:1 CHRIST IN DOMESTIC RELATIONS*

*1. 3:18-19 CHRIST IN MARRIAGE*

*a. 3:18 THE SUBJECTION OF WIVES*

Hai guNAIkes [1135], hu-poTASses-the [5293] tois anDRAsin [435], h*o*s aN*E*ken
[433] en KuRI*o*.

*:Wives, be subject to your :husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.*

 *b. 3:19 THE LOVE OF HUSBANDS FOR WIVES*

hoi ANdres, a-gaPAte [25] tas guNAIkas kai m*e* piKRAInes-the [4087] pros
auTAS.

*:Husbands, love your :wives and be not bitter against them.*

 *2. 3:20-21 CHRIST IN THE HOME*

*a. 3:20 THE OBEDIENCE OF CHILDREN*

Ta TEKna [5043], hu-paKOUe-te [5219] tois goNEUsin [1118] kaTA PANta,

*:Children, obey the parents in all things,*

TOUto gar euAreSTON [2101] es-tin en KuRI*o*.

*for this is well-pleasing in the Lord.*

 *b. 3:21 THE RESPONSIBILITY OF FATHERS*

hoi paTEres, m*e* e-reTHIze-te [2042] ta TEKna huM*O*N,

*:Fathers, provoke not your :children,*

HIna m*e* a-thuM*O*sin [120].

*that they be not discouraged.*

 *3. 3:22-4:1 RESPONSIBILITY TO CHRIST OF BOTH SERVANTS AND MASTERS*

*a. 3:22-24 THE HEART ATTITUDE OF SERVANTS TO MASTERS*

Hoi DOUloi [1401], hu-paKOUe-te [5219] kaTA PANta tois kaTA SARka [4561]kuRIois;

*:Bondmen, obey in all things the lords according to the flesh;*

m*e* en oph-thal-mo-douLIais [3787-1397], h*o*s an-thr*o*PAre-skoi [441],

*not with eye-services, as men-pleasers,*

all' en haPLOt*e*ti [572] karDIas, phoBOUme-noi [5399] ton KUri-on;

*but in singleness of heart, fearing the Lord;*

ho eAN poi*E*te, ek psuCH*E*S erGAzes-the,

*23 whatever you do, work from the soul,*

h*o*s t*o* KuRI*o*, kai ouk anTHR*O*pois;

*as to the Lord, and not to men;*

eiDOtes HOti aPO KuRIou

*24 knowing that from the Lord*

a-poL*E*Mpses-the [618] t*e*n an-taPOdo-sin [469] t*e*s kl*e*-ro-noMIas
[2817];

*you shall receive the recompense of the inheritance;*

t*o* KuRI*o* ChrisT*O* douLEUe-te [1398].

*you are bondmen of the Lord Christ.*

 *b. 3:25 THE LAW OF SOWING AND REAPING*

ho gar a-diK*O*N [91] koMIse-tai [2865] ho *e*DIk*e*sen:

*For who does wrong shall receive again the wrong he has done:*

kai ouk EStin pro-s*o*-po-l*e*mPSIa [4382].

*and there is no respect of persons.*

 *c. 4:1 RESPONSIBILITY OF MASTERS TO SERVANTS*

hoi KUri-oi, to DIkai-on kai t*e*n iSOt*e*ta [2471] tois DOUlois
paREches-the [3930];

*:Lords, render to the bondmen what is just and equal;*

eiDOtes HOti kai huMEIS Eche-te KUri-on en ou-raN*O*.

*knowing that you also have a lord in heaven.*

 *H. 4:2-6 PRACTICAL RELATIONSHIPS*

*a. 4:2-4 RELATIONSHIP OF PRAYER AND PREACHING *

T*e* pro-seuCH*E* [4335] pro-skar-teREIte [4342],

*Continue steadfastly in :prayer,*

gr*e*-goROUNtes [1127] en auT*E* en eu-cha-risTIa [2169];

*watching therein with thanksgiving;*

pro-seuCHOme-noi [4336] HAma kai peRI h*e*M*O*N,

*3 withal praying for us also, *

HIna ho TheOS aNOIx*e* [455] h*e*MIN THUran [2374] tou LOgou,

*that :God open us a door for the word,*

laL*E*sai to musT*E*ri-on [3466] tou ChrisTOU, di' ho kai DEde-mai [1210];

*to speak the mystery of the Christ, for which I am also in bonds;*

HIna pha-neR*O*s*o* [5319] auTO, h*o*s DEI me laL*E*sai.

*4 that I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.*

 *b. 4:5 RELATIONSHIP OF WISDOM AND LIVING*

En soPHIa [4678] pe-ri-paTEIte pros tous Ex*o*, ton kaiRON
[2540]e-xa-go-raZOme-noi
[1805].

*Walk in wisdom toward those without, redeeming the season.*

 *c. 4:6 RELATIONSHIP OF GRACE AND WITNESSING*

ho LOgos huM*O*N PANto-te en CHAri-ti [5485], Ala-ti [217] *e*r-tuMEnos
[741],

*Let your :speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt,*

eiDEnai p*o*s dei huMAS heNI heKASt*o* a-poKRInes-thai [611].

*that you may know how you ought to answer each one.*

 *I. 4:7-9 COMMENDATION TO THE FAITHFUL BEARERS OF GOOD NEWS*

*a. 4:7-9a GOOD NEWS SHOULD BE SHARED*

Ta kat' eME PANta gn*o*RIsei [1107] huMIN Tu-chiKOS, ho a-ga-p*e*TOS
a-delPHOS

*:All my affairs shall Tychicus make known to you, the beloved brother*

kai piSTOS diAko-nos [1249] kai SUNdou-los [4889] en KuRI*o*:

*and faithful minister and fellow-bondman in the Lord:*

hon Epem-psa pros huMAS eis auTO TOUto,

*8 whom I have sent unto you for this very purpose,*

HIna GN*O*te ta peRI h*e*M*O*N,

*that you may know :concerning us,*

kai pa-ra-kaLEs*e* [3870] tas karDIas huM*O*N;

*and that he may comfort your :hearts;*

sun On*e*SIm*o*, t*o* piST*O* kai a-ga-p*e*T*O* a-delPH*O*, HOS es-tin ex
huM*O*N.

*9a with Onesimus, the faithful and beloved brother, who is one of you.*

 *b. 4:9b PAUL'S PROVISION TO SHARE GOOD NEWS*

PANta huMIN gn*o*RIsou-sin [1107] ta H*O*de.

*They shall make known unto you all the affairs here.*

 *J. 4:10-17 INSTRUCTIVE GREETINGS*

*a. 4:10-11 GREETINGS*

AsPAze-tai [782] huMAS A-RIStar-chos ho su-naichMAl*o*TOS [4869] mou, kai
MARkos,

*Aristarchus my :fellow-prisoner greets you, and Mark,*

ho a-ne-psiOS BarNAba (peRI hou eLAbe-te en-toLAS [1785];

*the cousin of Barnabas (about whom you received commandments;*

eAN ELth*e* pros huMAS, DExas-the [1209] auTON),

*if he come unto you, receive him),*

kai 'I*e*SOUS ho leGOme-nos 'IOUStos, hoi ONtes ek pe-ri-toM*E*S [4061]:

*11 and Jesus :called Justus, who are from the circumcision:*

HOUtoi MOnoi su-nerGOI [4904] eis t*e*n ba-siLEIan [932] tou TheOU,

*these my only fellow-workers unto the kingdom of :God,*

HOIti-nes e-geN*E*th*e*SAN moi pa-r*e*-goRIa [3931].

*who have been a comfort to me.*

 *b. 4:12 FULLNESS OF GOD'S WILL: PRAYER DESIRE OF EPAPHRAS*

asPAze-tai huMAS E-paPHRAS, ho ex huM*O*N, DOUlos [1401] ChrisTOU 'I*e*SOU,

*Epaphras who is one of you, bondman of Christ Jesus, greets you, *

PANto-te a-g*o*-niZOme-nos [75] huPER huM*O*N en tais pro-seuCHAIS [4335],

*always striving for you in his :prayers,*

HIna staTH*E*te [2476] TElei-oi [5046] kai pe-pl*e*-ro-pho-r*e*MEnoi
[4137]en panTI theL
*E*ma-ti tou TheOU,

*that you may stand perfect and fully assured in all of :God's will.*

 *c. 4:13 PAUL'S COMMENDATION FOR THE LABORS OF EPAPHRAS*

mar-tuR*O* [3140] gar auT*O*,

*For I bear him witness,*

HOti Echei poLUN POnon [2205] huPER huM*O*N kai t*o*n en La-o-diKIa,

*that he has much labor for you and those in Laodicea,*

kai t*o*n en Hi-e-raPOlei.

*and those in Hierapolis.*

 *d. 4:14 GREETINGS FROM LUKE AND DEMAS*

asPAze-tai huMAS LouKAS, ho i-aTROS [2395] ho a-ga-p*e*TOS, kai D*e*MAS.

*Luke, the beloved :physician, and Demas greet you.*

 *e. 4:15 PAUL SENDS GREETINGS TO OTHER CHURCHES*

asPAsas-the tous en La-o-diKIa a-delPHOUS,

*Greet the brethren in Laodicea,*

kai NumPHAN, kai t*e*n kat' OIkon [3624] auT*E*S ek-kl*e*SIan [1577].

*and Nympha, and the church in her house.*

 f. 4:16 CHURCH LETTERS ARE TO BE SHARED

kai HOtan a-nag-k*o*sTH*E* [314] par' huMIN h*e* e-pis-toL*E* [1902],

*And when the letter has been read among you,*

poi*E*sa-te [4160] HIna kai en t*e* La-o-diKE*o*n ek-kl*e*SIa a-nag-n*o*sTH*
E*;

*cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans;*

kai t*e*n ek La-o-diKIas HIna kai huMEIS a-nagN*O*te.

*and that you also read the one from Laodicea.*

 *g. 4:17 PAUL'S CONCERN: EACH ONE'S MINISTRY IS TO BE FULFILLED*

kai EIpa-te ArCHIPp*o*,

*And say to Archippus,*

BLEpe [991] t*e*n di-a-koNIan h*e*n paREla-bes [3380] en KuRI*o*, HIna auT*E
*N pl*e*ROIS [4137].

*Look to the ministry which you have received in the Lord, that you fulfill
it.*

 *K. 4:18 PAUL'S CLOSING GREETINGS*

*a. 4:18a PAUL'S GREETINGS*

Ho as-pasMOS t*e* eM*E* cheiRI PAUlou.

*The greeting of me Paul with my :hand.*

 *b. 4:18b PAUL'S JAIL PRESENCE TO BE REMEMBERED*

mn*e*-moNEUeTE [3421] mou t*o*n desM*O*N [1199] .

*Remember my :bonds.*

 *c. 4:18c PAUL'S PRAYER FOR GRACE ON THEIR BEHALF*

h*e* CHAris meth' huM*O*N.

*:Grace be with you.*

 *NOTE*: 3:18-19 - G. Campbell Morgan of England many years ago said: “Watch
what takes precedence in the world. In a decade it will have come into the
church!” True? Yes, true. Jesus through the Gospel brought great liberty to
women in the church. But balance is difficult to maintain. Through “The
Women's Liberation Movement” an extreme form of liberty took place, and the
relationship to husbands was disdained and rejected. One early woman of this
move said: “I could knock Paul's head off with a rolling-pin for saying it
isn't 50/50!”

 But *was* this Paul speaking here and in his other letters - or Jesus the
Lord *through* Paul? See 1 Corinthians 14:37 - Paul believed it was the *
Lord* commanding *through* him. Whenever he a few times spoke apart from the
Lord, he *always* alerted his readers to this fact.

 But also consider God's Bible Numerics, His signature to validate His *true
* text in the Word. Here is an absolute mathematical proof that our 66 Bible
books are *truly* God's books. It is therefore impossible to say - “Oh -
that's just *Paul* speaking. I am under no obligation to pay attention to *
that*!”

 Really? One day we will all stand before the Judgment Seat of Christ (His B
*E*ma), if we are professing believers, and give account for our deeds done
while in the body, including our attitude as disciples to *His* Word!

 3:21 - Children are commanded to obey their parents in all things, even
though parents are not perfect like God. This is the first command with
promise. Children who dishonor their parents will give answer for this one
day. Are then the 10 commandments God gave Israel through Moses still for us
today? Certainly! They are repeated in the NT by Jesus and His apostles. As
a matter of fact, Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount enlarges upon them,
giving them *not only* the outward meaning of the OT, but an inner spiritual
meaning for the New Covenant!

 However - fathers are *not* to overdo discipline, but speak and do the
truth in love with their children according to this passage.

 3:22-4:1 - And what of the relationship of Management and Labor? Andrew
Carnegie did not understand his role in this. Taking legitimate wages from
laborers and giving philanthropy like libraries - is an infringement on
labor rights. But labor unions insisting on favors that kill the goose that
lays the golden egg - is also an infringement or lack of balance. Balance is
the most difficult goal to achieve - but this scripture portion demands that
we retain it as a goal and seek by the grace of God and the inner control of
Christ's Spirit - to achieve this goal.

 4:10-17 - Here is a picture of a spiritual leader, and his care for his
fellow-workers, and for the people to whom they minister. Paul's prayer-life
must have been extraordinary. See how he remembers the names of all his
fellow-laborers! He saw each one as a member of Christ's spiritual body in
the Church - Jew and Gentile alike - the One New Man!

 4:18b - Why did Paul want the Colossians and Laodiceans and all other of
the 14 city churches he founded - to remember “his bonds”? Because it would
keep them humble as they remembered the price he paid to bring them the
Gospel. And then it would be easier to perpetually remember the Redeeming
Death of Jesus on our behalf as we partake of the bread and cup, symbols of
His body and blood. As often as we partake of these symbols, let us remember
His death till He returns. 1 & 2 Thessalonians center on the Return of Jesus
again - *this* time as Lord of lords and King of kings - this time as Judge
of all the earth.

 Following is a prayer by Peter Marshall that my wife Marie found in “Hymns
for the Family of God” - The PTL Club Special Edition, 1976. She felt it
would be a challenge and blessing to all of us. - J.A.W.

 *LIBERATION FROM MATERIALISM*

 *Forbid it, Lord,*

*that our roots become too firmly attached to this earth,*

*that we should fall in love with things.*

 *Help us to understand that the pilgrimage of this life is but an
introduction,*

*a preface, a training school for what is to come.*

 *Then shall we see all of life in its true perspective.*

*Then shall we not fall in love with the things of time,*

*but come to love the things that endure.*

*Then shall we be saved from the tyranny of possessions which we have no
leisure to enjoy,*

*of property whose care becomes a burden.*

*Give us, we pray, the courage to simplify our lives.*

 *So may we be mature in our faith, *

*childlike but never childish,*

*humble but never cringing,*

*understanding but never conceited.*

 *So help us, O God, to live and not merely to exist,*

*that we may have joy in our work,*

*In Thy name, who alone can give us moderation and balance and zest for
living,*

*we pray. Amen*

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>