1 Corinthians 11:17-24

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 11:17:28 PDT 2009

*June 26, 2009
<http://www.2rbetter.org/>*

   *F. 1 CORINTHIANS 11:17-34*

*A CHARGE CONCERNING THE LORD'S SUPPER*

*a. 11:17 PAUL'S CHARGE COMES IN THE LIGHT OF GRAVE PROBLEMS*

TOUto de pa-ragGELl*o* [3853], ouk e-paiN*O*N [1867]

*But in giving this charge, I praise not*

HOti ouk eis to KREISson alLA eis to H*E*Sson suNERches-the.

*because you come together not for the better but for the worse.*

 *b. 11:18 THE ASSEMBLY OF CHRISTIANS HAD DIVISIONS*

PR*O*ton men gar, su-ner-choMEn*o*n huM*O*N en ek-kl*e*SIa [1577],

*For first, when you come together in church,*

aKOU*o* SCHISma-ta [4678] en huMIN huPARchein [5225];

*I hear divisions exist among you;*

kai MEros [3317] ti pisTEU*o*.

*and I partly believe it.*

 *c. 11:19 THIS MERELY CAUSES THE APPROVAL TO SHINE OUT MORE CLEARLY*

dei gar kai haiREseis [139] en huMIN EInai,

*For factions must be also among you,*

HIna kai hoi DOki-moi [1384] pha-neROI [5318] GEn*o*n-tai en huMIN.

*that the approved be also manifest among you.*

 *d. 11:20-21 THE LORD'S SUPPER CANNOT BE EATEN IF IT IS NOT SHARED*

Su-ner-choMEn*o*n [4905] oun huM*O*N ePI to auTO,

*When therefore you come together in meeting,*

ouk EStin Ku-ri-aKON DEIPnon [1173] phaGEIN [5315]:

*it is not possible to eat the Lord's supper:*

HEkas-tos gar to Idi-on DEIPnon pro-lamBAnei [4301] en t*o* phaGEIN;

*21 for in :eating each takes his :own supper before;*

kai hos men peiNA [3983], hos de meTHUei [3184].

*and one is hungry, and another is drunken.*

 *e. 11:22a IT IS BETTER TO EAT AT HOME THAN TO BE SELFISH IN CHURCH*

m*e* gar, oiKIas ouk Eche-te eis to esTHIein kai PInein?

*What, have you not houses to eat and to drink in?*

*e* t*e*s ek-kl*e*SIas tou TheOU ka-ta-phroNEIte [2706],

*or do you despise the church of :God,*

kai ka-taiSCHUne-te [2617] tous m*e* Echon-tas?

*and put them to shame that have nothing?*

 *f. 11:22b QUESTIONS*

ti EIp*o* huMIN? e-paiNEs*o* [1867] huMAS?

*What shall I say to you? shall I praise you?*

 *g. 11:22c ANSWER*

en TOUt*o* ouk e-paiN*O*.

*In this I praise you not.*

 *h. 11:23-24 PAUL REMINDS THEM THAT THE BREAD IS CHRIST'S BODY*

eG*O* gar paREla-bon [3880] aPO tou KuRIou ho kai paREd*o*-ka [3860] huMIN,

*For I received of the Lord what also I delivered to you,*

HOti ho KUri-os 'I*e*SOUS en t*e* nukTI h*e* pa-reDIde-to [3860] Ela-ben
ARton;

*that the Lord Jesus in the night in which he was delivered up took bread;*

kai eu-cha-risT*E*sas [2168] EKla-sen [2806], kai EIpen,

*24 and when he gave thanks he broke it, and said,*

TOU-TO mou esTIN to S*O*ma [4983], to huPER huM*O*N:

*This is my :body, which is for you:*

TOUto poiEIte eis t*e*n eM*E*N aNAMn*e*-sin [364].

*this do in :remembrance of me.*

 *i. 11:25 THE CUP IS THE NEW COVENANT IN HIS BLOOD*

h*o*SAUt*o*s kai to poT*E*ri-on [4221], meTA to deipN*E*sai [1172], LEg*o*n,

*In like manner also the cup, after :supper, saying,*

TOUto to poT*E*ri-on h*e* kaiN*E* di-aTH*E*k*e* [1242] esTIN en t*o*
eM*O*HAIma-ti
[129]:

*This :cup is the new covenant in my :blood:*

TOUto poiEIte, hoSAkis eAN PIn*e*te [4095], eis t*e*n eM*E*N aNAMn*e*-sin
[364].

*this do, as oft as you drink it, in :remembrance of me. *

 *j. 11:26 CHRIST'S DEATH TILL HE RETURNS IS PROCLAIMED THROUGH THE SUPPER*

hoSAkis gar eAN esTHI*e*-te ton ARton TOUton, kai to poT*E*ri-on PIn*e*-te,

*For as oft as you eat this :bread, and drink the cup,*

ton THAna-ton [2288] tou KuRIou ka-tagGELle-te [2605] Achri hou ELth*e*.

*you proclaim the death of the Lord till he come.*

 *k. 11:27 GUILT: THE RESULT OF EATING THE SUPPER UNWORTHILY*

H*O*Ste hos an esTHI*e* ton ARton *e* PIn*e* to poT*E*ri-on tou KuRIou
a-naXI*o*s [371],

*So that whoever shall eat the bread or drink the cup of the Lord
unworthily,*

HEno-chos [1777] EStai tou S*O*ma-tos kai tou HAIma-tos tou KuRIou.

*shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord.*

 *l. 11:28 PROVE YOUR MOTIVE BEFORE PARTAKING*

do-ki-maZEt*o* [1381] de ANthr*o*-pos he-auTON,

*But let a man prove himself,*

kai HOUt*o*s ek tou ARtou es-thiEt*o*,

*and thus let him eat of the bread,*

kai ek tou po-t*e*RIou piNEt*o*.

*and drink of the cup.*

 *m. 11:29 JUDGMENT: THE RESULT OF EATING WITHOUT DISCERNING CHRIST'S BODY*

ho gar esTHI*o*n kai PIn*o*n, KRIma [2917] he-auT*O* esTHIei kai PInei,

*For who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself,*

m*e* di-aKRIn*o*n [1252] to S*O*ma.

*if he discern not the body.*

 *n. 11:30 SICKNESS AND PREMATURE DEATH: THE FORM OF THIS JUDGMENT*

diA TOUto en huMIN polLOI as-theNEIS [772] kai ARr*o*s-toi [732],

*For this cause many among you are weak and sickly,*

kai koiM*O*Ntai [1837] hi-kaNOI.

*and not a few sleep.*

 *o. 11:31 SAFETY IN DISCERNMENT*

ei de he-auTOUS di-eKRIno-men [1252], ouk an e-kriNOme-tha [2919].

*But if we discerned ourselves, we should not be judged.*

 *p. 11:32 CHASTENING SPARES US FROM THE WORLD'S CONDEMNATION*

kriNOme-noi de huPO tou KuRIou, pai-deuOme-tha [3811],

*But when judged of the Lord, we are chastened,*

HIna m*e* sun t*o* KOSm*o* ka-ta-kriTH*O*men [2632].

*that we be not condemned with the world.*

 *q. 11:33 WE ARE TO CONSIDER ONE ANOTHER WHEN EATING THE LORD'S SUPPER*

H*O*Ste, a-delPHOI mou, su-nerCHOme-noi eis to phaGEIN,

*So then, my brethren, when you come together to eat,*

alL*E*lous ekDEches-the [1551].

*wait one for another.*

 *r. 11:34a DO NOT EAT THE LORD'S SUPPER TO SATISFY HUNGER*

ei tis peiNA, en OIk*o* es-thiEt*o*;

*If any is hungry let him eat at home;*

HIna m*e* eis KRIma [2917] suNERch*e*s-the.

*that you come not together unto judgment.*

 *s. 11:34b PAUL PROMISES LATER TO COMPLETE INSTRUCTION*

Ta de loiPA h*o*s an ELth*o* di-aTAxo-mai [1299].

*And the rest will I set in order whenever I come.*

  *NOTE**: *This is one of the clearest accounts of the Lord's Supper in the
Word of God. As in all the sections of Paul's letters to the Corinthian
Church, he is primarily using the opportunity as a time of correction. The
book of Romans is his plumbline, and he would have Corinth rise up to full
understanding in “Justification by Faith.”

 In the early church, the Lord's Supper was commonly associated with the
“Agape” (Love) Feast portion Because of excesses on the part of the
Corinthian believers at this time, Paul eliminated it to just the elements
of the Lord's Supper itself, and dismissed the Love Feast portion.

 It is a great blessing when the two can be combined together; in the
Passover Seder the Lord's Supper is made an integral part, which Jews
commemorated from the time of the Exodus out of Egypt under Moses,
approximately 3400 years ago, on an annual basis. Jesus took this, and made
the Lord's Supper an integral part of the Passover Supper, and opened the
way for it to be observed at least weekly.

 Note how Paul makes use of the problem at Corinth concerning this event, by
pointing out that the very divisive problem by some, raised a contrast, so
that those who retained a right understanding and procedure, stood out in
their correctness (11:19).

 Paul also quotes Jesus when He said, “*This :cup is **the new covenant** **in
my :blood**.” *Apart from the shedding of blood there is no remission of
sin, we read in the book of Hebrews. And so many of the Old Testament types
and shadows all point to the coming of Jesus, and how *He fulfilled* all the
past, so that it was proper for the Temple to be destroyed in 70 AD. It had
served its purpose. Jesus Himself is now the Temple, and we His body are
members of it - *living stones*.

 Should we still be careful and diligent in our observance of the Lord's
Supper? Of course! George Muller felt it was proper to observe it each week.
It was the *central* part of their service! And each time it is is observed,
we do proclaim *the Lord's death*, till H e come.

 So - although this is a corrective portion of Scripture, what valuable
lessons emerge! “*Covenant*” is the very basis of the Bible. The Old
Testament = the Old Covenant, and the New Testament is the New Covenant.
Apart from understanding of Covenant in the Lord's Supper, we see but
faintly the lessons God would have us understand. Read “Marriage Covenant”
by Derek Prince to gain an extremely valuable insight on this great
background to the Lord's Supper. J.A.W.

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*