Jeremiah 1-38 - Overview

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 11:44:52 PDT 2009

*Tel: 253.874.4265 -- Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org*

   *JEREMIAH 1-38 - OVERVIEW - T3101R*

*A MAN WITH AN UNWELCOME MESSAGE*

 *1. 1:4-5 (1) CALL OF THE PROPHET. “Now the word of Jehovah came unto me,
saying, 5 Before I formed you in the belly I knew you, and before you came
forth out of the womb I sanctified you; I have appointed you a prophet unto
the nations.” *O Father, this word strikes the fear of Jehovah into our
hearts! Who is a God besides You who can call the end from the beginning? We
know of none, and You know of none! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 9:23-24 (2-12) FIVE GENERAL UNDATED PROPHECIES. “Thus says Jehovah, Let
not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in
his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches; 24 but let him that
glories glory in this, that he has understanding, and knows me, that I am
Jehovah who exercises lovingkindness, justice, and righteousness, in the
earth: for in these things I delight, says Jehovah.” **Clearly* you have
expressed Your will on earth, Father, which we wholeheartedly embrace! *Your
:kingdom come.*

 *3. 15:19 (13-20) FIVE MORE GENERAL UNDATED PROPHECIES. “Therefore thus
says Jehovah, If you return, then will I bring you again, that you may stand
before me; and if you take forth the precious from the vile, you shall be as
my mouth: you shall return unto you, but you shall not return unto
them.” *Father,
we claim the wisdom to be as Jeremiah: through the discerning of spirits!
Then will our words be pure words. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on
earth.*

 *4. 23:5 (21-24) DENUNCIATION OF SECULAR AND RELIGIOUS LEADERS. “Behold,
the days come, says Jehovah, that I will raise unto David a righteous
Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute
justice and righteousness in the land.” *Yes, the unrighteous and unfaithful
leaders *shall be judged* by You, Father. *You* abide faithful and must
vindicate the honor of Your Name. *Our :daily :bread, Give us this day.*

 *5. 29:10 (25-29) JUDGMENT PREDICTED: SEVENTY YEARS! “For thus says
Jehovah, After seventy years are accomplished for Babylon, I will visit you,
and perform my good word toward you, in causing you to return to this
place.” *We honor You, Father, by acknowledging both Your omniscience and
Your omnipotence. No other God is like You! And in mercy You do not chastise
us according to our desserts. *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have
forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 31:33 (30-33) RESTORATION PROMISES. “But this is the covenant that I
will make with the house of Israel after those days, says Jehovah; I will
put my law (teaching) in their inward parts, and in their heart will I write
it; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.” *Praise be unto
You, O Jehovah Father! Yes, thanks be unto You for such a promise! There is
none other like You. *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 34:16 (34-38) PROPHECIES BASED ON SINS OF KINGS. “But you turned and
profaned my name, and caused every man his servant, and every man his
handmaid, whom you had let go free at their pleasure, to return; and you
brought them into subjection, to be unto you for servants and for
handmaids.” *Forgive us Father, for reneging on our word. We promise - and
reverse it. We deserve your chastisement. *But deliver us from the evil one.
*

 *NOTE**: *Three thoughts stand out to me in these 38 chapters. The first is
the call of Jeremiah. Even *before* his conception, God foreknew and
foreordained His prophet! How much *more* then does

*conception* establish a new life, and how exceedingly serious does abortion
become! We are tampering with the plan, and working of God in the countless
millions of souls that have been murdered! No wonder God's judgment is upon
our nation, and other like-acting nations throughout the world. Remember -
judgment and pay-day *is* coming upon all such nations and individuals.
Governor Felix trembled when he heard Paul clearly state this and other
truths (Acts 24:24-26).

 The second thought that impresses itself upon me is God's challenge to
Jeremiah in 15:19. It parallels our old hymn, “Yield not to temptation, for
*yielding* is sin,” Being tempted is *not* sin. Jesus was tempted in all
points just as we are - but He *didn't yield* - no, not once! Where Adam
failed, the last Adam passed every test! He like the Passover Lamb,
was *without
blemish*. Therefore His Atoning Death was fully acceptable to God on
*our*behalf, and brought for us
*plenteous* Redemption, and *full* Reconciliation with God!

 In this world there is both *precious* and *vile*. None of us can escape
being confronted with both. But - like Jeremiah - we can *choose* the
precious, and reject the vile. Reject pornography on the Internet! Then,
like Jeremiah, our words can be like *God's words*! We can be true channels
for a pure Gospel - and our *lives* can back up our message.

 The third thought that stands out for me (and there are many more,) is
31:33. Here God promises to Israel a New Covenant - *much* better than the
Old Covenant given through Moses (see the first chapters of the book of
Hebrews). *This* covenant has inherent power within it through the Holy
Spirit, to enable NT believers to walk victoriously in the promises of God.
It also implicitly contains within it the *“Mystery”* of the “One New Man” -
Gentiles grafted into the Root of Israel, and sharing equally in the 8-fold
blessings of Romans 9:4-5. And - according to Acts 15 and the Book of
Galatians, we Gentiles are free from “Law-bondage” of the Old Covenant.

 Beware of those who would bring us as Gentile believers into the Judaizing
heresies of legalism as exposed in the Book of Galatians by Paul, the Jewish
apostle to Gentiles!

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*