Isaiah 1-39 - Overview

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 12:04:19 PDT 2009

*Tel: 253.874.4265 -- Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org*

   *ISAIAH 1-39 - OVERVIEW - T2801R - “SALVATION THROUGH JUDGMENT”*

 *1. 1:18 (1-6, ASV 1901) THE DAY OF JEHOVAH AND JUDAH. “Come now, and let
us reason together, says Jehovah: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall
be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as
wool.” *O Father, Your love, mercy and grace humble us! You know Your
people, both Israel and Church; our backsliding, our proneness to wander.
Yet You love us anyway! *Hallowed be Your name!*

 *2. 10:1; 8:20 (7-12) THE DAY OF JEHOVAH AND ISRAEL. “Woe unto them that
decree unrighteous decrees, and to the writers that write
perverseness. 8:20To the law (teaching) and to the testimony! if they
speak not according to
this word, surely there is no morning for them.” *Father, You and Your Word
are *one* (John 1:1). And Your Word is Your will, and Your will is Your
Word! Therefore like George Muller, we pray back to You Your Word! *Your
:kingdom come.*

 *3. 23:9 (13-23) TEN BURDENS ON THE NATIONS. “Jehovah of hosts has purposed
it, to stain the pride of all glory, to bring into contempt all the
honorable of the earth.” *Because You are righteous, we must be humbled, and
taught to cease polluting the *land* with violence, bloodshed and rapine.
Purify us by Your judgments, O Father! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so
on earth.*

 *4. 24:21 (24-27) THE “DAY” AND THE WHOLE WORLD. “And it shall come to pass
in that day, that Jehovah will punish the host of the high ones on high, and
the kings of the earth upon the earth.” **Righteousness* shall in the end
prevail. *Jehovah*, You shall be vindicated! *Our :daily :bread Give us this
day.*

 *5. 28:17-18a. (28-33) SIX WOES UPON JERUSALEM. “And I will make justice
the line, and righteousness the plummet; and the hail shall sweep away the
refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding-place. 18a And your
covenant with death shall be annulled, and your agreement with Sheol shall
not stand.” *Father, we accept You in Christ as our *plumbline*. You and
Your Word are one! We are clothed in Your Armor! *And forgive us our :debts,
As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 35:10 (34-35) FINAL WRATH: ZION RESTORED! “And the ransomed of Jehovah
shall return, and come with singing unto Zion; and everlasting joy shall be
upon their heads; they shall obtain gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing
shall flee away.” *In the light of *this* revelation, O Father, we recognize
that *no* enemy can prevail against us! *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 39:6 (36-39) HISTORICAL EXPLANATION. “Behold, the days are coming, when
all that is in your house, and that which your fathers have laid up in store
until this day, shall be carried to Babylon: nothing shall be left, says
Jehovah.” *Father, pride in man refuses to give the Glory that
*rightfully*belongs
*only* to You. Your Glory You will *not* give to another. *But deliver us
from the evil one.*

 *NOTE**: *Judgment *predominates* in Isaiah 1-39. Comfort and mercy
predominate in Isaiah 40-66. It is interesting to note that the chapter
division of Isaiah that is normally used, has the 39 OT books coincide with
the first division, and the 27 NT books coincide with the second division!

 I have made reference in the comments above that God and His Word are *one*!
John 1:1 makes this eminently clear - *“In the beginning the Word was, and
the Word was with God, and the Word was God!”*

 This verse applies to both Old and New Testaments, and it is a *truth* that
we need to assimilate! The LOgos is the written word as it were, and does
not profit us in that state. We need to transform it into a Living *REma *word.
And that is done as we become true disciples according to the Great
Commission of Matthew 28:18-20 (28:16-20). As disciples we will like Joshua,
David, James and Timothy - walk in the oral, vocal *meditation* of Joshua
1:8; Psalm 1:1-6; James 1:25 and 1 Timothy 4:15.

 Israel through its entire history has upset God considerably. Yet -
according to His covenant with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob - and for His Names
sake - He has *not* rejected them, but will in the end fulfill *all* His
Covenant promises to them! The Church has not done much better - and
according to His promises to His Son - He will in the end fulfill all He has
said to the Church, the One New Man, the Bride of Christ.

 It takes plowing through Isaiah 1-39, and seeing God's faithfulness in
Isaiah 40-66 to understand all of this. - Jim Watt.

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE -- Please Email: