Meditation: Tentative Evaluation, Part 2

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 17:46:41 PST 2009

*Tel: 253.874.4265 -- Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org*

   *2009-02-24 (Revised) - MEDITATION - PART 2*

*TENTATIVE EVALUATION*

 1. *MEDITATION *is related to Worship and Prayer. See Girdlestone, “Old
Testament Synonyms,” p. 219.

 2. *MEDITATION* is related to Singing and Song. See “New Englishman's
Hebrew and Chaldea Concordance,” A P & A, p. 1206, #7878 SEEagh, and p. 1255
#7891 sheer.

 3. Zodhiates states, “It is possible that the scriptures were read somewhat
audibly during the process of *meditation*. See #1897, HaGAH, p. 1587,
Hebrew Greek Study Bible, Zodhiates, AMG, 1984. #1897, HaGAH; to murmur, to
mutter, to growl, to coo, to sigh, to moan, to roar; to *meditate*, to muse,
so speak, to praise; to whisper. The word occurs mostly in poetry,
especially in Psalms and Isaiah. It describes a low moaning sound

like that of a dove (ISA 38:14; 59:11), or the growling of a lion what has
trapped its prey (ISA 31:4). Sometimes it was used to describe the context
of mourning (ISA 16:7; JER 48:31) or the whispering of the enemy after the
collapse of Jerusalem (LAM 3:62). Wizards made strange noises when they
practiced the occult (ISA 8:19). The Psalmist (5:1) cried out to God for
help while in distress. Sometimes the term refers to plots (PSA 2:1; PRO
24:2; ISA 59:3, 12); or righteous ponderings (PSA 35:28; 37:30; 71:24; PRO
15:28), or *meditation* (PSA 1:2; 38:12; 63:6; 77:12; 143:5). It is possible
that the Scriptures were read somewhat audibly during the process of *
meditation.*

1899. Hegah; this mas. noun comes from 1897. It means a murmur, sighing, *
meditation*, a thought, growling (used of thunder in Job 37:2, i.e.
rumbling). Compare the related term higgayown (1902) which was a musical
notation which possibly referred to a harp PSA 92:3). Or, it may have meant
that a period of *meditation* was to follow PSA 9:16).

1900. Haguwth; this fem. noun which comes from1897 means *meditation*, it
occurs only once (PSA 9:16).

 4. *MEDITATION, *#7878 Siyach, Zodhiates, p. 1645. To ponder, to *meditate*,
to muse; to speak, to talk, to converse (aloud, or even with oneself), to
utter (with the mouth, Job 12:8; PSA 69:13; PRO 6:22); to complain (Job
7:11; PSA 55:18), to talk disparagingly (PSA 69:12); to declare; to pray, to
talk with oneself (i.e., to *meditate*, especially upon divine things, PSA
77:4, 7, 13; 119:15, 23, 27, 48, 78, 148); to sing (JUD 5:10; PSA 145:5), to
celebrate something in song (PSA 105:2); to consider, to think upon
something in song (PSA 105:2); to consider, to think upon something (ISA
53:8). This verb conveys the idea of going over a matter in one's mind,
i.e., rehearsing it, whether inwardly or outwardly.

7879. Siyach; this Heb. mas. noun derives from 7878; it is a contemplation,
an utterance, a *meditation* (1 K 18:27; PSA 104:34), a thought; a speech, a
discourse (2 K 9:11), babbling (PRO 23:29), talking (1 K 18:27); a complaint
(1 SAM 1:16; Job 7:13); prayer (PSA 64:1).

7880. Siyach; this Heb. Mas. noun has it origin in 7878. It refers to a
shoot (like a word which has been put forth); shrubbery, a shrub, a plant,
or a bush. There are only four occurrences (GEN 2:5; 21:15; JOB 30:4, 7).

7881. Siychah; this fem. Heb. noun comes from 7879. It means reflection,
devotion, *meditation*, or prayer. There are only three instances in the
O.T. (Job 15:4; PS 119:97, 99). “It is my *meditation* (siychah) all the
day!”

 5. *MEDITATION. *Present day Jews , especially the Orthodox, use a prayer
book while *meditating*, rocking forward and backward; while reading, they
usually pray and *meditate* audibly.

 6. *David Yonggi Cho *in his “The Fourth Dimension #2, points out the
remarkable effect our *tongue* has upon our psyche (soul) when used, either
properly or improperly. Our soul and subconscious is programmed by speech,
and when spoken with conviction, triggers the soul and subconscious to bring
to pass the expressed thought and conviction. Vocal *meditation* on the Word
will trigger 2 PET 1:4, commencing the tendency and train of events to bring
it to pass. How important it is that we guard our tongue. How important that
we obey Joshua 1:8, by vocal *meditation* upon God's word day and night.

Note that when a sheep chews its cud, it brings back stored food to the
mouth. When we *meditate*, we bring back the Word memorized to the mouth.
When we speak the Word, it is transformed into the Rhema word, and we
partake of the Divine Nature (2 PET 1:4). The sheep transform food gathered
ahead of time into lamb chops. The analogy is quite exact.

 7. *VOCAL MEDITATION* on God's word was not a habit with George Muller for
the first 10 years of his life as a believer. He states in his autobiography
the amazing change that started in his life once he committed himself to
daily vocal *meditation* upon the Word of God. In no Bible Commentary nor in
any sermon had he run across this discipline. He found it of such value that
from the age of 70 to 87, he traveled 200,000 miles in 40 different
countries, and this was one of the seven major emphases that he made in each
address. It is unfortunate that believers have not dipped into their Jewish
roots, for there they would soon have found this secret that flows out of
“The Living Talmud.”

 8. *NOTE *#7880 Siyach. This Heb. masc. noun has its origin in 7878. It
refers to a shoot (like a *word* which has been put forth by audible *
meditation*). Just as a shoot from a seed takes on visible form, so the word
of God in our mind when expressed, drops to our heart, germinates, and tends
to form in us the Divine Nature, an actual shining forth of divine
manifestation. Vocalization with *meditation* appears to be the key causing
germination and growth to take place.

 9. *NOTE JOHN 1:1* - and the WORD was GOD. The mind of the Father is
perfectly expressed in Jesus, the Living Word. The Written word, given by
the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Christ, is an exact expression of Him in the
letter. When we utilize Joshua 1:8, audibly *meditating* upon the entire
Bible, we start the process that can bring us to maturity of sainthood such
as is seen in our century in Oswald Chambers, A. E. Tozer, Watchman Nee,
Nicholas Bhengu, Smith Wigglesworth, and David Yonggi Cho. Deborah and Anna
the prophetess demonstrated this maturity in Bible times. St. Theresa of
Avila, Madame Guyon, Amy Carmichael of Dohnavur, and Pandita Ramabai of the
Mukti Mission outside of Bombay demonstrated this potential in modern times.

 10. *JOSHUA 1:8* - perhaps the key verse on *meditation* from all 77
references. Notice that Hebrew parallelism places *meditation* day and night
with Torah in the Mouth. This sets the tempo according to the law of first
reference for hah-GAH.

 11. *PSALM 29* - an expression of God's *meditative* voice in THUNDER.

 12. *MEDITATION* finds a parallel between Joshua 1:8 and Psalm 1:1-3. A
lover of the Word, The Torah, is going to walk like George Muller in Vocal *
meditation*. His path will be a shining light, shining *more and more* unto
the perfect day.

 13. *HIGGAION: *A command by the Spirit for us to *meditate*. Milk this
truth for all it is worth. Look at it line by line, and word by word. Talk
it over with God. Compare this with - SElah.

 14. *PSALM 19:7*. This Law of the Lord, this Torah, is the *meditation* of
19:14, and is that which God commanded to be in the mouth of Joshua.

 15. *MEDITATION* is vertical toward God, horizontal toward man, and inward
toward self. David's spirit communed with his soul in PSA 103:1-5.

 16. *ORAL MEDITATION* in the Word: sets the heart on fire! George Muller
found this perhaps the most transforming act of his daily life. Jeremiah
discovered he could not remain silent when this fire of God in the Word
burned in his bones. God's Word is a *fire*. *Meditate* upon it, and you
will catch on fire.

 17. *MEDITATION: *the key to discover God's hidden secrets (PRO 2:1-12).
Kids enjoy an Easter egg hunt, for God has put this desire in the human
heart to find things. The saint of God has a continual feast through *
meditation*, for all of God's hidden treasures then start to turn up for
him.

 18. *GOD CALLED DAVID *a man after His own heart. The *meditations* of
David upon God and His word transformed him, tending to bring him to God's
image. The Psalms reveal David's *meditative* heart. Learn his secret and be
transformed.

 19. *BE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT*, and horizontally let the outflow build one
another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs. But, let the LOgos of
Christ dwell in you richly through *vocal meditation*, and find fulfillment
richly in new worship (JNO 4:23-24; Phil 3:3); God *seeks* such worshipers,
and very few things He seeks.

 20. *THE WELL OF MEDITATION* dried up? Try counting your blessings; see
what God has done; recall His wondrous acts; soon your heart will have a new
song. What a wonderful way to prime one's pump!

 21. *NOTICE*: David often started a Psalm in the depths of despair. But
then he changed gears; took his attention off himself and his circumstances;
transferred it upon God, His former faithfulness and His promises.
Invariably this ended up one's *meditation* in praise!

 22. *THERE IS A SPIRIT* of excellence about David. His music at times
commenced with solemn sound, *meditatively*. Even in old age this worked for
David, and he assures us that, God being no respecter of persons, it will
work for us too.

 23. *MOURNING IS A FORM OF MEDITATION*, and can be exercised by the good or
the evil. For the righteous, it is a form of intercession in the light of
the second beatitude. It takes our eyes off ourselves (being poor in
spirit), and takes up a mourning burden for those in need of intercession:
to lift them up into Christ. Every need we see is not a call to criticize
and condemn, but to mourn and intercede. ROM 8:26-27 is an expression of
this.

 24. *LEARN FROM THE DOVE* when she is troubled. Then hear the change in the
sound of her cooing when deliverance comes. Hezekiah started out with
mournful dovelike *meditation*, but ended up with great deliverance. Use
Isaiah 1:18 as a basis for fruitful *meditation*.

 25. *THERE IS A WRONG USE OF MEDITATION.* We can mutter, grumble and
complain against the Lord, expressing our disobedience, rebellion and
hard-heartedness. How we need Your mercy and converting power at such times,
O Lord.

 26. *FROM A SEED* spring up shrubs and bushes. This is a natural analogy
what happens when we take the LOgos as a seed and *meditate* upon it.
Vocalizing upon the word miraculously causes it to germinate as a seed, find
its way from the head to the heart, and there grow, bringing forth the
Divine Nature, the Christ within. As the female egg is impregnated and finds
its way to the womb, eventually bringing forth a child: even so Christ lives
within us as we discipline ourselves daily to walk in the way of scriptural
*meditation* (GAL 2:20; 1 PET 1:23).

 27. *MINISTERING TO THE LORD *with fasting and prayer ((Acts 13:1-3) is a
form of *meditation*. When rulers and leaders accept this responsibility,
sitting in the gates of the city; the Lord Himself will build His church
through us (MAT 16:18-19).

 28. *OUT OF ANGUISH AND DESPERATION* of heart we pour out our utterances
unto God. This is *meditation* in one of its highest senses. It ought to be
a regular part of the life of a believer.

 29. *SHOULD DAVID TRY AND MEDITATE *silently, the fire would soon burn, and
out would come a voice utterance exactly paralleling his heart
contemplation. Jeremiah and David both experienced this consistently. Here
we find David *praying* (a synonym for *meditating*) evening, morning and at
noon.

 30. *NOTE* the three directions of *meditation*: unto *God*, vertically;
unto man, horizontally; unto one's own soul by the spirit, inwardly (PSA
103:1-5). All three can be vocal. At least, if they start out silently, they
may well end up vocally.

 31. *FEW COMMENTARIES, TRANSLATIONS AND SERMONS* seem to catch the strong
underlying vocal aspect of *meditation*. George Muller marveled at this lack
in his day. Religious Jews continually practised this; but this started to
be lost to the Gentile church from about 500 AD. Messianic Jews became
swallowed up during the centuries in the Gentile church, and lost their
roots in religious historic Judaism. In 1805 they began to form Messianic
congregations in Britain; in 1905 in America; and today Messianic
congregations worldwide composed of both Jew and Gentile are beginning to
rediscover this ancient Biblical method of vocal *meditation*. It is like
life from the dead (ROM 11:15).

 32. *JEREMIAH* awoke from dreams from the Lord, and found that his sleep
had been *sweet* (JER 31:26). Solomon told his son that rest in the Lord
with a heart full of the Living Word brought nightly visitations from the
Lord in guidance, safety and communion (PRO 6:20-22); Job 33:14-18). But *
David* seemed to surpass them all in his exuberant contemplation of the Lord
from the viewpoint of all creation. This *meditation* David found *sweet*.

 33. *DAVID* constantly recounts all of God's miraculous workings. He
regularly reasoned from them. This took his thoughts off himself, his
problems and his circumstances, and transformed him through *vocal
meditation* into a *praising saint*. He meditated vertically to God and
expressed his insights horizontally to men.

 34. *PRECEPTS* are God's rules for living. The book of Proverbs illustrates
this point beautifully. It was upon *these* that David and the writer of
Psalm 119 *meditated**,* that they might fulfill Joshua 1:8 - namely *
meditation* upon God's law, precepts and ways - that *obedience of
faith*might flow out of this. Paul was not against this, for it is not
contrary to
the Gospel of the Kingdom, but part and parcel of it. It was the Judaizing
addition of tradition to the law, and the departure from faith to works in
keeping the law that he objected to in Galatians, Hebrews, and his other
epistles.

 35. *STATUTES* are given by God to regulate our way of life. They teach us
*how to live*. Statutes are in all the books of the Bible, but *Jesus* is
our *Living Statute*. *Meditate on Him!*

 36. *THE LOVE OF GOD'S WORD*: An incentive to Torah *meditation* day and
night. Joshua had this love, and worked on it till it was habitual. It was
in his *mouth*; it was *Vocal Meditation*. It was like a sheep chewing its
cud: and bringing the written word back to the mouth again and again, till
so transformed into a Rhema word, that it is now ready for assimilation.
This is a 30-40 hour process for sheep. All natural law has a parable
application in the spiritual world. Let us be like Joshua and the sheep. And
for Joshua, it was that he then could be careful to *do* by the *obedience
of faith*, *all* that was written in it.

 37. *GOD'S TESTIMONIES* are His *way* for us for all blessing and
enlightenment. God testified concerning many things, and they all should be
the basis for our *meditation*. What God thinks to be important, *we* should
consider important. *Jesus* is the chief testimony of God, and He should be
paramount in all our *meditation*.

 38. *VOCAL COMPLAINT OF MEDITATION* unto God is proper under desperate
circumstances. Jonah in the belly of the great fish faced such an emergency.
He fervently engaged in this exercise; and God heard him and delivered him.

 39. *THE REALIST *is not like the Christian Scientist. He sees both good
and evil, and quite aware that God does also. It is not giving a negative
confession to be a realist, and acknowledge to God with outpouring of soul
and heart one's troubles, extremities, and desolation. *Then* we
should *vocally
meditate* on God's past mercies, reason from them, and wait on Him until He
transforms our situation. The Psalmist David knew and practiced this secret.
Let not suffering-saving theologies detract us from this important insight
of David.

 40. *PROVERBS 6:22* - one of the great verses of the Bible. This is the
spiritual counterpart of the High Priest's breastplate of judgment which
contained the Urim and Thummim. See Exodus 28:15-30, and note how exactly
Proverbs 6:20-22 corresponds in the attaching of the breastplate of judgment
with the commandment and law (Torah or teaching). One of the rabbis in
“Pirke Abot” (The Wisdom of the Fathers) comments: And when you walk, it
(Torah in your heart through *vocal meditation*) shall lead you, *in this
world*; When you lie down, it shall watch over you, *in the grave*; And when
you awake, it shall talk (God's *meditative* vertical speech to us in our
heart) with you, *in the world to come*. I prefer to see all 3 of these
blessings of Torah in the heart as *present tense blessings*. When
*it*(Torah in our heart through Joshua 1:8
*meditation* ) keeps us and talks with us during sleep, it is often through
dreams, and fulfills God's four-fold purpose of Job 33:14-18.

 41. *AS A DOVE* quietly coos in times of distress; and as the drunk babbles
in his disorientation; so the saint at all times should speak God's word
from his heart to His Maker. This is a transforming exercise. It is the
grinding of grain into a form that can be mixed and baked into a loaf of
bread.

 42. *IN THE PROPIATORY ATONEMENT OF CHRIST, *His humanity and divinity, His
purpose in the Father: all these are too much for man of Israel's day. Even
angels sought to understand. The Father in the New Covenant unfolding, gives
us understanding through the Holy Spirit's inward ministry. It is the Spirit
of Christ within us Who allows us today to *meditatively* declare the
wonders of God manifest in Christ in His propitiatory sacrifice.

 43. *NOTE*: The *context* for each reference in the “Word Study” is taken
from the manuscript of “Through the Bible in a Year,” daily devotional
lessons, using the Lord's Prayer format, The *Title* is like a newspaper
headline, describing the use of each Hebrew word in its verse and context.

 44. *NOTE: *There are two distinct Hebrew roots translated *meditation*,
both translated in a parallel form with all synonyms for all parts of
speech. One possible explanation for the Holy Spirit to choose to do this,
is that each root is separately related with other words such as “singing,
worship, prayer;” this doubles the number of possible relationships that
these two root words have. It would be possible to explore constructively
these other words related to *meditation*.

 45, *OBSERVATION*: Few commentaries, sermons or translations - touch on the
underlying nature of the vocalization that exists in Bible *meditation*. It
is true that a few references retain the idea of *meditation* as a silent
thought; but the vast majority of references demand *vocal accompaniment*.
Religious Jews did and still do practice *meditation* this way. It was the
constant wonderment of George Muller that so few in his day perceived the
importance of this. Witness Lee encouraged it but his exhortation was little
regarded because of his separatist stance. Dr. David Yonggi Cho is a strong
present day exponent of this.

It would seem that *Vocal Meditation* is a concept whose time has come, and
that this will become commonplace in the day ahead. A return to this
Biblical concept will greatly increase the potential of spiritual growth in
all those who will commit themselves to this simple but powerful practice.

 46. *GEORGE MULLER* wrote concerning the importance of how we conduct our
personal devotions. The word we read *must* be read *aloud*, and
*rephrased*to God, giving room for the Holy Spirit to enlarge on the
phrase or passage
as He will. Mr Muller by the end of his life was reading the whole Bible
back to God on his knees 5 times a year (about 15 chapters a day). Faith
comes by hearing, hearing the Rhema word of God. $7,500,000 came in by
prayer alone prior to 1890 as a result, helping support 10,000 orphans, as
well as 8 other projects.

 47. *DR. DAVID YONGGI CHO* says that our prayer time must be *aloud*,
within the framework of the Lord's Prayer. Then God will speak in His
inaudible voice to our spirit. It is our part to *pray* and *obey*. This is
the *obedience of faith*.

 48. *BELIEVING JEWS* for 4000 years have *meditated* by praying the Word *
aloud* back to God. This is a means of renewing the mind, establishing
ourselves in the faith, growing in grace, and finding the ability to
persevere through difficulties. This is the way of *joy* that leads to *
singing* and *dancing* before the Lord.

 49. *PHILIPPIANS 3:3 *tells us about the the mark of those circumcised in
heart: they worship, or religiously serve God in the spirit. John 4:23-24
tells us that God *seeks* this (Only 2 things God in the Bible says He
seeks). Worshiping audibly from the Word brings the Spirit; the *obedience
of faith* brings the *truth*. This is true for *both* Testaments, for
*both*Covenants, for our Bible is a
*unity*. The *new* is in the *old* contained; the *old* is by the
*new*explained. (See “Gospel and Law: Contrast or Continuum?” by
Daniel P.
Fuller, Eerdmans, 1980). This verse goes on to describe the heart
circumcised believer as one who *boasts* in Christ Jesus, and has
*no*confidence in the flesh. This causes us to picture God in an
elliptical
fashion: *Jesus*, the *Son* (*sun*) of righteousness is in the first of the
two foci. The Father is in the darkness of the second focus. The Holy Spirit
in us takes us around the Father and the Son in an elliptical pathway, even
as our earth rotates around the sun. The Spirit reveals the Son, and speaks
from Him. The Son reveals the Father and speaks from Him. It is summer when
we are on the Son's side, and winter on the Father's, Who dwells in thick
darkness. *Rejoice* in our marvelous Triune God!

 50. *VOCAL MEDITATION* is the key to release from the Bible what we hear,
read, study and memorize. *Obedience* changes tho LOgos to a RH*E*ma word.
Dick Eastman highly recommends *vocal meditation.*

 Jim Watt, October 23, 1990.

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*