1 Corinthians 2:1-3:2a

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 19:45:21 PST 2009

"*TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt*

*Tel: 253.874.4265 -- Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org*

   * 1 CORINTHIANS 2:1-3:2a - E. SPIRITUAL WISDOM UNDERCUTS THE FLESH*

 *1. 2:1-5 FAITH: BASED ON THE CROSS AND ITS POWER*

*a. 2:1 PAUL'S PREACHING: NOT BASED ON WISE WORDS*

Ka' 'G*O* elTH*O*N pros huMAS, a-delPHOI,

*And I, brethren, when I came unto you,*

*E*Lthon ou kath' hu-pe-roCH*E*N [5247] LOgou *e* soPHIas,

*came not with excellency of word or wisdom,*

ka-tagGELl*o*n [2605] huMIN to musT*E*ri-on [3142 tou TheOU.

*proclaiming to you the mystery of :God.*

 *b. 2:2 PAUL'S GOAL; TO PREACH CHRIST CRUCIFIED *

ou gar Ekri-na [2919] ti eiDEnai en huMIN,

*For I decided to know nothing among you,*

ei m*e* 'I*e*SOUN ChrisTON, kai TOUton es-tau-r*o*MEnon [4717].

*save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.*

 *c. 2:3 PAUL'S ATTITUDE: IN HUMAN WEAKNESS*

ka' 'G*O* en as-theNEIa [769],

*And I was with you in weakness,*

kai en PHOb*o*, kai en TROm*o* [5156] polL*O* e-geNOm*e*n pros huMAS.

*and in fear, and in much trembling.*

 *d. 2:4-5 PAUL'S MESSAGE: A DEMONSTRATION OF THE SPIRIT AND POWER*

kai ho LOgos mou kai to K*E*rugMA [2782] mou

*And my :words and my :preachment*

ouk en piTHOIS [3981] soPHIas LOgois,

*were** not in persuasive words of wisdom,*

all' en a-poDEIxei [585] PNEUma-tos kai duNAme-*o*s:

*but in demonstration of Spirit and power:*

HIna h*e* PIStis huM*O*N m*e* *e* en soPHIa anTHR*O*p*o*n,

*5 that your faith be not in men's wisdom,*

all' en duNAmei TheOU.

*but in God's power.*

 *2. 2:6-16 SPIRITUAL INSTRUCTION THROUGH WISDOM OF THE SPIRIT*

*a. 2:6-9 PAUL'S DISCLAIMER: HE HAS WISDOM FOR THE MATURE*

SoPHIan de laLOUmen, en tois teLEIois [5046]:

*We speak wisdom, however, among the fullgrown:*

soPHIan de ou tou ai*O*nos [165] TOUtou,

*yet a wisdom not of this :age,*

ouDE t*o*n arCHONt*o*n [758] tou ai*O*nos TOUtou, t*o*n ka-tar-gouMEn*o*n
[2673]:

*nor of the rulers of this :age, who are coming to nought:*

alLA laLOUmen TheOU soPHIan en mus-t*e*RI*o* [3466], t*e*n a-po-ke-krumMEn*e
*n [612]

*7 but we speak God's wisdom in mystery, the hidden wisdom*

h*e*n pro*O*ri-sen [4309] ho TheOS pro t*o*n ai*O*n*o*n eis DOxan h*e*M*O*N:

*which God foreordained before the ages unto our glory:*

h*e*n ouDEIS t*o*n arCHONt*o*n tou ai*O*nos TOUtou EGn*o*-ken:

*8 which none of the rulers of this :age have known:*

ei gar EGn*o*-san,

*for had they known it,*

ouk an ton KUri-on t*e*s DOx*e*s esTAUr*o*-san:

*they would not have crucified the Lord of :glory:*

alLA kaTH*O*S GEgrap-tai,

*9 but as it is written,*

Ha oph-thalMOS [3788] ouk EIden, kai ous ouk *E*kou-sen,

*Things** which eye saw not, and ear heard not,*

kai ePI karDIan anTHR*O*pon ouk aNEb*e* [305],

*And entered not into heart of man,*

HOsa h*e*TOIma-sen [2090] ho TheOS tois a-gaP*O*sin auTON.

*Whatever things :God prepared for them that love him.*

 *b. 2:10 THIS WISDOM: ITS SOURCE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT*

h*e*MIN gar a-peKAlu-psen [601] ho TheOS diA tou PNEUma-tos:

*For to us :God revealed through the Spirit:*

to gar PNEUma PANta e-rauNA, kai, ta BAth*e* [899] tou TheOU.

*for the Spirit searches all things, yes, the depths of :God.*

 *c. 2:11 RELATION OF MAN'S SPIRIT AND GOD'S SPIRIT*

tis gar OIden anTHR*O*p*o*n ta tou anTHR*O*pou,

*For who among men knows the things of the man,*

ei m*e* to PNEUma tou anTHR*O*pou to en auT*O*?

*save the spirit of the man :in him?*

OUt*o*s kai ta tou TheOU ouDEIS EGn*o*-ken,

*even so the things of :God none knows,*

ei m*e* to PNEUma tou TheOU.

*save the Spirit of :God.*

 *d. 2:12 UNDERSTAND: GOD'S SPIRIT INSTRUCTS US*

h*e*MEIS de, ou to PNEUma tou KOSmou, eLAbo-men,

*But WE received, not the spirit of the world,*

alLA to PNEUma to ek tou TheOU;

*but the spirit which is from :God;*

HIna eiD*O*men ta huPO tou TheOU cha-risTHENta [5483] h*e*MIN.

*that we might know the things freely given to us of :God.*

 *e. 2:13 SPIRIT-TAUGHT WORDS: BASIS OF PAUL'S PREACHING*

ha kai laLOUmen, ouk en di-dakTOIS [1318]

*Which things also we speak, not in words*

an-thr*o*PIn*e*s soPHIas LOgois, all' en di-dakTOIS PNEUma-tos [4151];

*taught of man's wisdom, but in Spirit-taught words;*

pneu-ma-tiKOIS [4152] pneu-ma-tiKA sunKRInon-tes [4793].

*interpreting spiritual things to spiritual men.*

 *f. 2:14 THIS IS CLOSED TO NATURAL MAN*

psu-chiKOS [5591] de ANthr*o*-pos ou DEche-tai ta tou PNEUma-tos tou TheOU:

*Now man natural receives not the **things** of the Spirit of :God:*

m*o*RIa [4172] gar auT*O* es-tin;

*for they are foolishness to him;*

kai ou DUna-tai GN*O*nai, HOti pneu-ma-tiK*O*S [4153] a-naKRIne-tai [350].

*and know he cannot, because they are spiritually judged.*

 *g. 2:15 THE BENEFITS OF THE SPIRITUAL MAN*

ho de pneu-ma-tiKOS a-naKRInei men PANta,

*But the spiritual **man** judges indeed all **things**, *

auTOS de hup' ou-deNOS a-naKRIne-tai.

*but himself is judged of none.*

 *h. 2:16a QUESTION*

tis gar EGn*o* noun KuRIou,

*For who has known the Lord's mind, *

hos sun-biBAsei [4822] auTON?

*that he should instruct him?*

 *i. 2:16b OUR ADVANTAGE: CHRIST'S MIND*

h*e*MEIS de noun ChrisTOU Echo-men.

*But we have Christ's mind.*

 *3. 3:1-2a MILK-FOOD: A SIGN OF CARNAL BABES*

*a. 3:1 CARNALITY: A MARK OF BABES*

Ka' 'G*O*, a-delPHOI, ouk *e*-duN*E*th*e*n laL*E*sai huMIN h*o*s
pneu-ma-tiKOIS [4152],

*And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual,*

all' h*o*s sarKInois [4559], h*o*s n*e*PIois [3516] en ChrisT*O*.

*but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ.*

 *b. 3:2a BABES: NOT WEANED FROM MILK*

GAla huMAS ePOti-sa [4222], ou BR*O*ma [1033]; OUp*o* gar eDUnas-the.

*I fed you milk, not meat; for you were not yet able to bear it.*

 *NOTE:* 2:2 (2:1-5) *"For I decided to know nothing among you, save Jesus
Christ, and him crucified." *This key presentation of Paul is exactly the
same emphasis used by Oswald Chambers. It is not "stories", not our
experience, not about Christ as a Teacher, the Son of God or the Messiah -
but *Christ* the crucified Son of Man on our behalf that the Holy Spirit
uses to convict us of sin, and bring us into the Kingdom of God.

 Paul constantly placed himself and his gifts in the background, lest the
great Atoning, Redemptive work of Christ be overshadowed.

 Yet Paul did speak words of wisdom to those discipled and mature. And he
carefully reveals that it is *only* by the indwelling Spirit in a fully
yielded and Spirit-possessed life, that understands God and His mysteries
and His purposes on our behalf. And - he carefully points out that he - Paul
- depends implicitly on the guidance of the Spirit for the words to say.

 It is absolutely impossible for the natural man to understand these things.
A "Deist" has no true understanding of Kingdom mysteries. New-Age people
have substituted the simplicity of the Gospel for Knowledge from another
source, and likewise fail to have a true intimate relationship with God.
Gnosticism is alive and well, still in our day! *Only* the true, pure Spirit
of God indwelling a sanctified soul can use the accurate Plumbline of the
Word of God, and judge all things and yet be judged by none!

 This clear teaching of the Word of God in the Gospels, Acts, Epistles and
Revelation, is abhorrent to those who want to add to, take away or adjust
the Word of God. It *cannot* be done and remain true to God. Our world, and
even much of the church, is rife with strange teachings and revelations.

 Isaiah 8:20 (8:19-22) *"To the teaching and to the testimony! if they speak
not according to this word, surely there is no morning for them." *The
prophet some 2500 years ago clearly set forth that which is hated by those
who refuse to submit and accept God's clear and plain presentation.

 The sad state of the Corinthian church was much as it is in America today -
churches filled with carnal babes - unable to clearly present the great
truths of God's word. A missionary has recently returned to his homeland,
and is *appalled* at the immature state of so many professing believers
here.

 Some are beginning to perceive that this Bible Numerics Interlinear
Outlined Greek New Testament, is not only simple, but when meditated upon,
opens a door for the Holy Spirit to enter in, and as our Divine Teacher,
lead us into these marvelous and important truths contained in 1 Corinthians
chapters 1 & 2. This was the hope and desire of Ivan Panin. This is why I am
pleased to give tens of thousands of hours to aiding his hope and vision to
come true. - Jim Watt

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*