Keep to the Point - Oswald Chambers

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 13:44:13 PST 2009

"*TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt*

*Tel: 253.874.4265 -- Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org*

   *"KEEP TO THE POINT" - OC - 2009.01.01*

 *LET US KEEP TO THE POINT** - Oswald Chambers*

 *Philippians 1:20 (15-20) "... my earnest expectation and hope that in
nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also
Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death."*

 *My Utmost for His Highest. "... my earnest expectation and hope that in
nothing I shall be ashamed...." *We will all feel very much ashamed if we do
not yield to Jesus the areas of our lives He has asked us to yield to Him.
It's as if Paul were saying, *"My determined purpose is to be my utmost for
His highest - my best for His glory." *To reach that level of determination
is a matter of the will, not of debate or of reasoning. It is absolute and
irrevocable surrender of the will at that point. An undue amount of thought
and consideration for ourselves is what keeps us from making that decision,
although we cover it up with the pretense that it is others we are
considering. When we think seriously about what it will cost others if we
obey the call of Jesus, we tell God He doesn't know what our obedience will
mean. Keep to the point - He *does* know. Shut out every other thought and
keep yourself before God in this one thing only - my utmost for His highest.
I am determined to be absolutely and entirely for Him and Him alone.

 *My Unstoppable Determination for His Holiness. "Whether it means life or
death - it makes no difference!" (see 1:21). *Paul was determined that
nothing would stop him from doing exactly what God wanted. But before we
choose to follow God's will, a crisis must develop in our lives. This
happens because we tend to be unresponsive to God's gentler nudges. He
brings us to the place where He asks us to be our utmost for Him and we
begin to debate. He then providentially produces a crisis where we have to
decide - for or against. That moment becomes a great crossroads in our
lives. If a crisis has come to you on any front, surrender your will to
Jesus absolutely and irrevocably.

 *NOTE**: This book is dedicated to the reader. ("My Utmost for His
Highest")*

 *May you know God better and draw closer to Him as a result of applying the
truths of God's Word expressed in this book.*

 Consider: in 1874 Winston Churchill and Oswald Chambers were born. Both
were active in the Dardanelles during World War I. But Churchill outlived OC
twice over. Both were patriots in a good sense of the word.

 *INTRODUCTION: *For over sixty years Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His
Highest has been one of the most widely read books in the Christian world.
First published in England in 1927,and in the United States in 1935, these
daily readings were compiled from shorthand notes of Chambers' lectures and
talks by his wife, "Biddy", who was a professional stenographer.

 Oswald Chambers was a powerful Bible teacher who had lectured widely in
Great Britain and abroad. From 1911 to 1915 he served as principal of the
Bible Training College in London. Following the outbreak of World War I he
offered himself as a chaplain for the YMCA and was assigned to minister to
the Australian and New Zealand troops stationed in Zeitoun, Egypt, near
Cairo. It was there that he died suddenly on November 15, 1917, following
surgery for a ruptured appendix. The story of his life has been chronicled
in the recently published work by David McCasland, "*Oswald Chambers:
Abandoned to God" (*Discovery House).

 Because of the numerous changes in the English language over the last
several decades, and the desire to reach a new generation of readers, James
Reimann has updated the 1935 edition of *My Utmost for His Highest* in
today's language. The enthusiastic reception given to this new edition
suggests that this goal is being realized.

 Among the many whose lives have been influenced by this book are
contemporary Christian musicians who testify to the impact it has had on
their personal walk with God. They have chosen to express their commitment
to Christ by issuing a selection of recorded Christian music using the theme
of "My Utmost for His Highest." The publisher is releasing this special
edition of *My Utmost* to complement this musical production and introduce a
new generation to the timeless truths of Scripture as taught through the
enduring words of Oswald Chambers.

 *The Publisher*

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>