Notes -- Ephesians 4-6

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 18:40:25 PST 2008

*"TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt*

*PO Box **25116 – Federal Way** **WA** **98093-2116***

*TEL: 253.874.4265 – Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org – **January 11, 2008***

* *

*"NOTES" – Ephesians 4 – 6*

* *

*Friends –*

* *

This mailing completes the Notes on Ephesians 4-6. They are based on and
arise out of God's Interlinear Numeric Greek New Testament discovered by
Ivan Panin.

>From time to time we will supply along with these notes an outline of this
text – book by book, arranged in such a manner that they can be prayed
through on a weekly basis, following the points of the Lord's Prayer. Larry
Lee commenced this innovation some years ago based on the major compound
Jehovah Names.

Back in 1967 we commenced producing Greek Word Studies based on 7 major
references from complete Greek Word Studies. We will do this for the 8 words
of Romans 9:4-5: adoption, glory, covenants, Torah, worship, promises,
Fathers and Christ. These blessings were given initially to Israel, but
through the "Gospel Mystery" revealed by the apostle Paul, we learn that
through the "One New Man," we who are non-Jews equally share in these 8
blessings.

There are 14 natural groupings of such Word Studies in the New Testament,
each group identified with one of the 12 sons of Jacob (Genesis 49) and in
Numbers 2, Ephraim and Manasseh are added.

A Prayer Request for God's Timing: Though I am equipped by God to prepare
these various studies – yet I am not gifted computer-wise to post them on
our Website. In God's Perfect Timing, pray that these Books, Outlines, Word
Studies and Articles may begin to appear there.

Thank you for your interest and prayers. As you know, the Rev. Dr. John
Roddam, Rector of St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Seattle, is convening
meetings Sunday February 10th and Monday the 11th at 7:00 PM. to celebrate
the 60th Anniversary of the Holy Spirit Visitation at North Battleford,
Saskatchewan in 1948. In May of this year Israel celebrates its
60thAnniversary of Restoration in the land God gave her through
Abraham, Isaac
and Jacob 4000 years ago. Marie and I celebrate our 60th Wedding Anniversary
this year.

John Roddam has led in producing a package of 3 DVD's in ten 30 minute
segments to document what happened starting February 11th 1948 in Northern
Canada. A special Pre-Anniversary price of $25.00 including S/H will be
available. Following February 11th it will be $30.00 + S/H. John interviewed
Marie and me for this. I am the last of the 7 living elders who took part in
the July 1948 Camp Meeting in North Battleford, and then in Edmonton in
October 1948 when the Heavenly Choir was restored. Marie was with me at the
Summer Camp Meeting, and then in the Vancouver BC 6 week conference, and
didn't miss a meeting. She came to the Lord at this time, and we were
married December 27th.

*The DVD's are on sale through Norlynn Audio Visual Services, **Vancouver**,
**BC** – go to:  www.reason-for-hope.com – for$30.00 (UDA or CAN) PLUS $5.00
shipping and handling fees. However, you may purchase a DVD set for $25.00
(USD or CAN) INCLUDING S & H. There are also discounts available for larger
orders – please see the website!*

* *

This is a Pre-Publication, Pre-60th Anniversary special. Plans are set to
add a study guide on the website to assist those who want to use the DVD's
for small group discussion.

Jim Watt

*Ephesians 4:1-16  *

* *

*NOTE:*  This is probably the key passage used by George Hawtin for the 1948
Visitation. Again and again he would turn to it, and especially deal with
verses 11 & 12, and then on to verse 16.

However, it is rich in other aspects also. For instance, consider the word
"Unity – heNOt*e*-ta" in verses 3 & 13. These are the only two occurrences
this word is used in the entire New Testament. In its first appearance, the
apostle Paul exhorts the Ephesians believers to diligently pursue "unity in
the Spirit" in the context of the previous 2 verses. But in 4:13 he shows
that "UNITY of the faith" is the goal of God for all of us. This is based
upon knowledge of the "Finished Work" of Christ on our behalf, as applied to
us by the 5-fold ministries of 4:11-12.

One could say that the 5-fold ministry supplies a spiritual chiropractic
adjustment to the members of Christ's body! See how the 33 adjusted
vertebrae supply a protected channel for the spinal cord. So we as
individual members of the church must protect the corporate unity of the
faith. This is represented by God's Word in each believer. UNITY is the key
prayer desire of Jesus in John 17. In the 1948 North Battleford,
Saskatchewan Camp Meeting, John 17:22-23 was featured on a banner!

But note further the word "perfecting – ka-tar-tisMON" in 4:12. Without the
function of ALL FIVE of these ministries, God's purposes on our behalf fall
short! This is why Daniel Juster exhorts the church through his covenant
friendship with Mike Bickle, that we should pray diligently for the
Messianic Jewish Movement -- that the important ministry of apostles and
prophets be added to that of evangelists, shepherds and teachers. "Ka-tarTIz
*o"* is used but 17 times in the New Testament, but is so important to
understand, and to seek God's blessing on our behalf for ALL of its
multi-faceted favor.

Then consider the 7 unities of 4:4-6: One body, one Spirit, one hope, one
Lord, one faith, one baptism, and one God and Father. To understand and walk
in THIS unity of the Spirit, is to be candidates of approval from both our
God and Father and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Yet we must draw attention to 4:7. Here Paul points out that just as HE
received grace from God as recorded in 3:7 – so WE – through the SAME GIFT –
"d*o*-reA" – function in God's grace in the same measure as did the apostle
Paul. By all means do a word study through Strong's Concordance on these 11
references to "Gift – d*o*-reA!"

These few thoughts do not even begin to exhaust the riches in this passage
of 16 verses. George Hawtin indeed had opened to him by God many of its
riches. Did he later like Solomon depart from the protective Plumbline of
the full protection of the Word of God? Yes – but just as God because of
Covenant did not withdraw the fullness of His blessing from David when he
fell – So because of the Davidic and New Covenant, God continued to honor
George Hawtin in spite of his lapse. Through the teaching of UNITY, the
Presbytery and the 5-fold ministries of this passage, Hawtin set forth a
wonderful "baby!" Don't throw this baby out with the bath-water!

And remember – February 11, 2008 marks the 60th anniversary of this
wonderful Visitation.

*Ephesians 4:17-5:14*

* *

*NOTE:* There are some that think when we are born again, that our spirit is
made sinlessly perfect. Not so! The Holy Spirit through the apostle Paul in
2 Corinthians 7:1 makes this abundantly clear. For here He says – "Having
therefore these :promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all
defilement of flesh and SPIRIT, perfecting holiness in fear of God." This is
a subtle point, and one in which the enemy of our soul seeks to work his
deception. Paul again warns in 1 Timothy 4:1-5 concerning deceiving spirits
and doctrines of demons in the last days. Top teachers in our land have
fallen for these deceptions. Take NOTHING for granted. Prove ALL things.
Hold fast to that which is GOOD, and accords with Scripture.

Oprah Winfrey is promoting the teaching of Marianne Williamson and her book,
"A Return to Love:" Reflections on the "Principles of A Course on Miracles."
Portions will appear each day of this year on the Internet. It is false "New
Age" teaching It is backed by dollars, but none-the-less FALSE! There are
many gullible new believers, plus those who are searching for truth, who
will fall for this flesh-pleasing but heretical teaching. It is ANOTHER
Christ they present – not the one of the Gospels!

See this analogy – Just as we change clothes for our body – so we should
change clothes for our soul and spirit. If you have started on this path of
deception – PUT OFF these false clothes and put on the PURE CLOTHES of
Christ that accord with the Word of God! There are MANY false teachers,
prophets and apostles out there. They are on the Net, television, radio,
literature. Be not naïve – but WISE in the ways of God. The devil is REAL!
Satan is out there as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. The enemy
poses as an "angel of light!" But it is a FALSE personification. Take note
who Oprah is taking under her wings to sponsor as President in the light of
the above.

We need the expulsive power of a new affection! Let Jesus Christ as
presented clearly in the Bible be the One we love with all our heart and
soul and mind and strength. THIS will honor our Heavenly Father. This will
ensure our walk as children of the Light – and also ensure that we are not
of those who are children of darkness and deception.

Let us make sure that we are clothed in white – well-pleasing to God and in
accord with the Ephesian passage above.

* *

* *

* *

*Ephesians 5:15-6:9*

* *

*NOTE:*  In 1946-48 I was attending St. Andrew's College of Saskatoon,
Saskatchewan, one of the 9 United Church of Canada Seminaries at that time.
I found out they were using me as a "decoy duck" to have young men enroll as
candidates for the ministry, and I had what I had in spite of my
denomination. I was awaiting them to put me out for my conservative,
spirit-filled stance, and overlooked completely their wisdom. Immediately
upon learning this, I resigned four positions: President of the Student Body
at St. Andrews; candidate for the ministry; Bible Study Convener for the
youth of Saskatchewan; and member of Third Avenue United Church of
Saskatoon.

One other straw in the wind that helped in this decision: the President of
our Seminary in Homiletics class assigned a sermon outline for each member.
I chose the above passage of Ephesians 5:15 -6:9, and used as my main points
the 4 divisions in "The Walk" that Paul sets forth: One, 5:15-21: The
Spirit-filled Christian Walk; Two: 5:22-33 – The Marriage Walk of Wives and
Husbands; Three: 6:1-4 – The Believer's Walk for Children and Parents; and
Four: 6:5-9 – The Walk for Employees and Employers.

Our President's comment: "True to the passage, Jim – but SURELY you wouldn't
preach it!" I assured him I would!

"To the Torah (Word of Teaching) and its testimony: if they speak not
according to THIS word (entire Bible) – it is because there is NO LIGHT in
them." Isaiah 8:20

It takes courage, boldness and complete dedication to declare such truths as
this, even in our evangelical churches of today. Let's join together, like
Oswald Chambers – and determine to let our light shine in accordance with
the FULL COUNSEL of the Word of God as exemplified in this Ephesians
passage. This is what Paul did for the Ephesians according to Acts 20.

* *

*Ephesians 6:10-24*

* *

*NOTE:*  This closing passage of Ephesians has been used by young and old
alike. Some parents often use it as part of their morning devotions, and
have their children go through a "show and tell" as they put on their armor.
I shared in devotions with a family on one occasion in Northern Alberta who
practiced this, and afterwards one little boy looked accusingly at me and
said, "You didn't put on your armor!"

One of the most helpful books on this, "The Shield of God's Protection" was
recently written by Mike Servello. He talks about God's 7-fold Shield and
His 7-fold Hedge, and how the 7-fold Armor of God is an important part of
this strategy.

And note – the armor is not in the Greek text pointing to an individual
usage (though the application for this is legitimate) – but is for God's
CORPORATE soldier!

Do a "Google Search" for Mike's book, and by all means avail yourself of
this valuable and practical help. My wife Marie has encouraged scores of
people to do so, and resultant testimonies have been most gratifying.

And because the book of Ephesians has been set forth by the Holy Spirit
through Paul as the highest revelation of Church Truth – we should not think
that this armor is just for some. The most mature of saints need to avail
themselves of it also! And Intercessory Prayer Groups should put on this
armor by faith in a corporate sense.

* *

* *

* *