NOTES on Ephesians 1-3

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 18:58:47 PST 2007

*"TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*
*Jim & Marie Watt*
*PO Box 25116 -- Federal Way WA 98093-2116*
*Tel: 253.874.4265 -- Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*
*Web: www.2rbetter.org -- December 31, 2007*
**
*"NOTES" -- EPHESIANS 1-3*

Friends -- 12.31.07

In 2005 I laid out the first draft of the Interlinear Numeric Greek New
Testament by Ivan Panin.

Through the help and suggestions of friends, I have made what I believe are
helpful changes. I am also making the up-dates in smaller bites and adding
"NOTES" to each of these sections.

You have already received 2 sets of "NOTES" from John 13-17. Unfortunately,
there was an error in the second set: John 16:16-33 repeated John 15:1-15.
"To err is human: to forgive is divine!" May I receive your forgiveness for
this lapse on my part, as you move up into the Divine Mind to do so! Thanks.

I am adding the notes on this missing section at the bottom of the "Notes"
on Ephesians 1-3.

Jim Watt

*"NOTES"* on Ephesians 1-3

Ephesians 1:1-14

*NOTE:*  This letter by Paul is counted by many to be the high water mark of
his writings. In it are 7 pictures of the church. In it Paul lays out the
"One New Man" truth, of Jew and Gentile together making up the Church, the
Body of Christ.

Chapter 1:3 is almost like a key verse or text for this letter. My professor
of Church History at Northern Baptist Theological Seminary of Chicago loved
this verse. He was a Norwegian Lutheran in his background. One day in Chapel
he told 400 of us theologues – that when this verse opened up to him, he
didn't run – he FLEW!!

See if you can pick out the nine blessings in Christ in this passage. It is
a passage so rich in what Christ has made available to us, and what we ARE
in Christ, that perhaps only in eternity will we truly begin to appreciate
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

This letter was a high point in revelation for George Hawtin of the 1948
Visitation in Northern Canada. The restoration of the 5-fold Ministries of
Ephesians 4:11-12 gripped him mightily.

The armor of God for the Corporate Soldier of Christ in Ephesians 6 has been
a challenge to many.

And remember – both our texts, Greek and Hebrew, have been established by
God's Numeric Phenomenon. Perhaps God sees Numerics as his fool-proof
signature that prevents all false copying and counterfeiting.

I love this book, and the God of this book. In 1946 it was the first book
that I outlined according to the paragraphing and sentence structure
established by Bible Numerics and laid out in the Introduction of the Greek
Numeric New Testament by Panin. It was what initially captivated me in 1945,
and has led me to put in at least 40,000 hours of research on this
challenging discovery by Ivan Panin.

Ephesians 1:15 - 2:10

* *

*NOTE:*  Several times in the complete Bible, the Holy Spirit leads various
writers to record specific prayers, prophecies or revelations. This happened
to the Apostle Paul TWICE in this letter.

His first prayer for the Ephesian believers is recorded in Ephesians
1:15-23. Many believers have memorized both of Paul's prayers in this
letter. There is such a depth of insight and revelation in this first
prayer, that right up to the resurrection we will still be plumbing its
depths.

It is our Heavenly Father who in Jesus' Name will reveal to us the great
grace that His Son both IS and HAS MADE AVAILABLE to us. To properly
understand Christ's "Finished Work in Redemption" on our behalf, means that
pride loses its vantage point.

Oh, after 1900 years, may the prayer of Paul still be answered on our behalf
by God our Father!

Note that the key words of this prayer in the Greek text are followed up by
the numbers from "Strong's Concordance." One Adult Sunday School class in
Canada in the mid '70's went through two of these key words each week,
presented by some 60 students. What a rich and blessed sharing that was!

Chapter 2:1-9 clearly points out our state in Satan prior to our conversion.
And – THIS is the present state of ALL in the world who are not yet born
into the second birth! We do not know those whom God has foreknown to know
Him through His Son – but our CLEAR presentation of these truths will
convict and waken to earnest searching after God – the LIVING God for all
those He has foreknown and given to His Son as members of His Bride!

It was the faithfulness of my grandfather who awakened in me this hungering
and thirsting after God.

THIS clear Gospel presentation will make sinners either "mad" or "glad."
This is the way the world of Jesus' day reacted to HIM! The world and
religious leaders HATED Him – and they will hate us too as we are intimately
related to Jesus on the basis of this prayer of Paul.

Blessed searching – as we search for God's fuller understanding of this
passage.

Ephesians 2:11-22

*NOTE:*  J. Sidlow Baxter in his "Explore the Book," has an interesting and
helpful insight for understanding the 7 city churches of Paul in his first 9
epistles.

Romans represents the Outer Court of the Tabernacle – Justification by
Faith. 1 & 2 Corinthians represent how the church of Corinth had moral
lapses in relationship to the great standard restored through Martin Luther.
Galatians shows how the churches in the area of modern Turkey departed
doctrinally from the key teaching of this letter, and through the Judaizers
sought to return to the legalism of Jewish standards. Even in the Old
Testament, only Gentiles living in close proximity to Jews were required to
move in this manner, and in the latter part of Acts 15 were freed by God
from even this.

Baxter saw Ephesians as the high point of church truth in the Bible. It is
rich in pictures and analogies of the relationship of believers – both Jew
and Gentile – to Christ. Philippians is the Holy Spirit through Paul shoring
up lapses in Joy and Unity from this high standard. Colossians points out
doctrinal aberrations from Ephesus, and tendencies to revert to worship of
angels, and departing from God the Father's true standards for His Son.
Greek cults of that day sought to wean true believers from the way God sees
these things, and God used Paul by the Spirit to seek to return them to the
true Plumbline of truth. Arianism and Jehovah's Witness cultism was in
existence back then!                        It is HERE that believers enjoy
being in the Holy Place of God's Tabernacle and Temple!

1 & 2 Thessalonians prepare God's people for the Second Coming of Christ and
the Marriage Supper of the Lamb. The early church constantly kept this truth
in view. George Muller in his day did the same, and Mother Basilea Schlink.
Here believers experience the first-fruits of Bridal-Love with Christ. Here
one enters the riven veil, and experiences divine relationship in the Holy
of Holies.

There is one other key thought that emerges clearly from this passage – "The
One New Man." Reuven Doron has written a book in the early 1990's with this
title. By all means do a "Google-Search" and order it. It is clear, warm and
living. The recent writings of Daniel Juster also clearly bring out this
truth of Jew and Gentile in one body, the Church. Mike Bickle has partnered
with Juster to give a living example of this truth.

The Church has a marvelous privilege and responsibility of praying the
Messianic Jewish Movement into the 5-fold ministry and the other 11
Embryonic Revival Principles restored in 1948 in Northern Canada. Next year
– 2008 – is the 60th Anniversary of the rebirth of Israel as a nation, and
God's Visitation on February 11th at North Battleford, Saskatchewan. The
Rev. Dr. John Roddam and Stuart Spani of North Vancouver BC have produced a
3 DVD package of 10 parts featuring Marie and myself as the last living
elder of the 1948 July Camp Meeting of that time. Details on how to procure
this will soon be available.

Ephesians 3:1-21

*NOTE:*  In Ephesians 3:7 Paul posits his unusual and remarkable ministry
from God – as BASED on the "d*o*-reA" – Gift." THIS is one of 11 remarkable
usages of this Greek word in the New Testament. ALL references point back to
the Comforter, the Paraclete coming in – in place of Jesus – according to
His promise. And, the Holy Spirit living in and THROUGH Paul, personified
Jesus in His earthly life – a demonstration what He wants to do through EACH
ONE OF US through the GIFT of the Holy Spirit from the Father, through the
Son. This is all based on Christ's Finished Work on the Cross.

It is important to note the "Law of First Reference," for here we normally
find the definition of a word! John 4:10 in this instance reveals that the
definition of "d*o*-reA – Gift" is an artesian well. John 7:37-39 explains
this more fully. According to Smith Wigglesworth, think of the "Niagara
Falls" in this connection!

Then in Acts 2:38 we find the second reference to this word "Gift." It is
found in the context of "The Peter Package." First a candidate for salvation
must "Repent!" Secondly he must be baptized! And next hands are laid on him
and he receives the GIFT of the Holy Spirit. See Acts 8:1-24 for a further
illustration of this principle! Look back to Mel Gibson's "The Passion of
the Christ" to understand His Love and the great price He paid to make all
of this possible for us.

See also that of all Bible "Mysteries" – and there are a number! – perhaps
the greatest is that it has been God's eternal plan to make the nations
fellow-heirs of God's Covenants and promises with Israel! God also wants
Satan's principalities and powers to understand this great mystery made
known through the apostle Paul.

Then in Ephesians 3:14-19 Paul prays his second great prayer on behalf of
each individual believer in "The One New Man" – composed of Jew and Gentile
alike. This is a REVELATION by the Spirit through prayer. To understand
God's Love behind all He does on our behalf – is Paul's great desire. What a
prayer! Again – one can see why these two prayers in this letter have been
memorized by so many believers! And too – we can see how through Mel
Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" – why many have at last begun to search
for deeper answers about God and His Love. May such searching continue. May
we never be the same again, as we begin to understand the breadth and length
and depth and height of the love of Christ which passes knowledge, and that
we be filled unto all the fullness of God.

John 16:16-33

*NOTE:*  See the difficulty Jesus had in communicating with His disciples
prior to the coming of the Holy Spirit. If ANY passage shows up the
outstanding importance of the indwelling Spirit – this one does. It is of
paramount importance first that human beings are born of the Spirit from
above. Next, on the basis of covenant understanding, we must become
disciples by not only confessing with our mouth Jesus as LORD – but also by
faith receiving the Gift of the Holy Spirit as the Comforter, and Jesus'
full replacement. When we are born again, the Spirit comes in (Greek "en")
us. When we are baptized in the Spirit He comes upon (Greek "epi0 us. Dr. T.
J. McCrossan, teacher for Dr. Charles S. Price, has a whole book on this
subject.

By the very questions of Jesus' disciples here, we see the inability of
Jesus to get across to them the truths of this passage. In another Gospel
Jesus says – "I have a baptism to be baptized with – and how am I straitened
until it is accomplished!" Until Jesus completes His Commission from the
Father on the Cross, and through His "Finished Work" there, the Holy Spirit
is not yet lawfully and righteously made available – and human beings apart
from His Indwelling Presence – are unable to grasp spiritual truths! No
wonder worldly people are hopelessly at a loss to understand spiritual
truths. 1 Corinthians chapters 1 & 2 lay this insight out in clear and
simple form.

But verse 23 of this passage in John 16 shows the tremendous blessing in
answered prayer from the Father in Jesus' Name – that becomes ours once this
divine reception from heaven takes place.

This Jesus in John 16:15-23 restates and summarizes His teaching on the
intimate relationship of Calvary and the Holy Spirit. To see this in a yet
clearer manner, do a Greek word study on the word *"do-reA" *– Gift – as it
appears first in John 4:10 and next in Acts 2:38. There are only 11
references to this Greek word in the entire New Testament. Each refers back
to the law of first reference in John 4:10, where Jesus likens the *"do-reA"
*to an ARTESIAN WELL. The Romans 5:15 and 17 references are startling. Some
have in 2 Corinthians 9:15 interpreted the "d*o*reA" to refer to Christ.
This can't be accurate in the light of the other 10 references. If these 10
refer to the Holy Spirit clearly according to context, then the 2
Corinthians 9:15 reference must ALSO refer 5to the GIFT of the Holy Spirit.

Take note now – John 13-16 has laid the foundation for John 17, and
therefore links these 5 chapters together. John 17 can only be fully
understood in seeing this previous foundation. It states the NECESSITY of
Jesus' Atoning work, and the subsequent coming of the Holy Spirit. His High
Priestly Prayer after the order of Melchizedek that follows, makes perfect
sense in the light of this context.

Jim Watt

* *

* *