The Cure for Evil Speaking

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 18:38:27 PDT 2007

*"TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt*

*PO Box **25116 – Federal Way** **WA** **98093-2116***

*Tel: 253.874.4265 – Email: jmbetter at gmail.com <jmbetter at gmial.com>*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org – **October 13, 2007***

* *

*"THE CURE OF EVIL SPEAKING" by John Wesley*

* *

I pray for guidance in what to mail out. Today friends from our state phoned
for wisdom in handling an interpersonal and interchurch problem. I sent them
an abbreviated copy of John Wesley's "The Cure for Evil Speaking" based on
Matthew 18:15-17.

I came across it in 1947 at St. Andrew's College, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
The Librarian needed to make room for new books. So he went through the
library, chose those he felt were inappropriate – put them out in the hall,
and told some 60 of us Theologues – "Go for it – they're yours."

I appropriated "Wesley's Doctrinal Standards" by Burwash as a choice. What a
find! Wesley chose 52 of his basic sermons preached from about 1738 onwards
– and made them a text for all Class Meeting Leaders. It was required that
they memorize all 52 sermons (with some 50-100 Scripture verses in each) and
when ordained, they had to preach one of these 52 selected by the examining
committee before being ordained.

There were some 70,000 in England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland who
participated in these groups of no more than 8 members each. They met
weekly, and the class meeting leader led in practical examination of each
for victories, defeats, moral lapses, temptations and need of prayer.

An English sociologist of that time – an unbeliever – gave as his opinion in
a book that apart from John Wesley, the Methodist revival and the class
meetings; the French Revolution of the late 1700's would have jumped
the English
Channel and ravaged Great Britain. Lenin was so impressed with the Class
Meetings, that he adapted them for Communism.

For me, the outstanding sermon of the 52 – was on Matthew 18:15-17. We used
it in all the churches I served in as pastor, starting with the Kostner
Avenue Baptist Church of Chicago in 1953. IT IS POWERFUL. It is the FIRST
step towards genuine revival. It requires covenant commitment to one another
in the class meeting, local church, city church and area church – if it is
to work. It is the first step and basis for solving ALL problems, and once
initiated, tends to eliminate future problems.

I found in my computer files an abbreviated copy I made of it in the last
church we pastured starting in 1998 in Tacoma – "Congregation Beth Chesed."

I understand that Wesley's Doctrinal Standards have recently been
republished. You will do yourself, your friends and associates a favor to
procure this remarkable sermon collection and share with them. Whether you
are an Arminian or a Calvinist, you can profit from it.

When Wesley's former associate – Evangelist George Whitefield—was preaching
here in America, a friend asked him – "Do you think Wesley will make
heaven?" And the response was, "My dear sir – when we get to heaven, John
Wesley will be so close to the Throne of God that we will scarce be able to
see him!"  Let us be like Whitefield and NEVER let theological differences
separate us from intimacy with Christ and one another.               Jim
Watt

*                                        CONGREGATION BETH CHESED*

*                                  THE CURE OF EVIL SPEAKING -- 1998*

* *

*             *One.  From Matthew 18:15-17.  Context: The Lord's prayer: a
command of "Thy will be done."  The command: "Speak evil of no man" (Titus
3:1-2). The definition: Nothing more nor less than speaking evil of an
ABSENT person, whether true or not (even by discernment), IF Matthew
18:15is not first fulfilled. Also backbiting: spiritual cannibalism
(Galatians
5:15). Whispering: if it is lovingly (!) and softly spoken.

            Two.  How common!  Who can say: "I am free of this, a watch has
been set before my mouth"  (Psalm 141:3)?

            Three.  Because this sin is so common, therefore it is difficult
to resist. The church is so substandard. Pastor Scott practiced this at
Midwest Bible Church of Chicago in the mid 50's.

            Four.  This sin comes disguised; we think we are serving God in
holiness like Paul before conversion, while we really are grievously
sinning. There are a few brothers whose friends have heard no word cross
their lips condemning an absent brother! See Dad Crittendon of Chicago –
"Even the devil can be emulated for his zeal!"

            Five.  There is a cure: we through whom the offenses come! This
IS the offense: evil speaking.  NOTE: Matthew 18 is the FIRST Commandment to
the church so named, and the most frequently broken.  Matthew 18:15-17, if
followed, is the CURE.

*HOW DO YOU SAVE YOURSELF FROM THIS WOEFUL SIN?*

* *

*STEP ONE. *

* *One.  If SURE of a sin, go IN RIGHT SPIRIT, *ALONE.*  See Galatians 6:1,
meek.  *First *judge self in the same sin. Serve also as an intercessor.

            Two.  Go in the spirit of the gospel, as to a dear member of the
body of Christ.  BE CLEAR, but have no ill will or anger.

            Three.  Do it by a friend, a trusted one, if necessary, but
DON'T shirk this way of the cross if POSSIBLE.

            Four.  Telephone or write as a LAST RESORT, or if in God he
wouldn't take it verbally.  But again, do it in the right spirit.

            Five.  NO EXCUSES: "I WAS BURDENED, AND HAD TO SHARE IT." But by
this the Word of God has been trampled, and this is hating your brother in
your heart. It is the same as saying: "I love my child too much to
discipline him in the right spirit. By failing in this sin of omission, you
yourself have now committed a sin of commission.

            Six.  Exception: If a brother's sin could hurt another before he
is corrected. But this is medicine like poison, so us it sparingly.

            Note:  FORGIVE, *if *he repents (Luke 17:3).

*STEP TWO.  *(If step one refused.)

            One.  Take one or two more, of the same meek spirit, with good
character. Choose those acceptable to the sinner, if possible.

            Two.  How? Say it with "no anger".  Repeat the first private
conversation.  All 3 or 4 judge next how to proceed.

            Three.  Maybe, repeat again what has been spoken; enlarge on it
and confirm; show the mercy of this method; prove the additions mentioned.

            Four.  NOTE: This is the ONLY second step allowed by our Lord.
After the first step and before the second, STILL DO NOT SHARE.

*STEP THREE.  *(If step two is refused.)

            One.  Tell it to the church: the group of elders, where
fellowship and service is found. Only then are you free of blood.

Two.  Note: No exceptions to this format, though if elders are present, step
two and three may coincide.

            Three.  Only now is your soul delivered.  Still, don't talk of
him, but leave him to God. Treat him courteously, as a heathen, but not as a
brother.

            Four.  Where is this followed?  We don't see it.

            NOTE:  If there were no HEARERS of evil, there would be no
speakers. A burdened bearer of evil should deliver himself PROPERLY, as a
woman with child.

            Five.  If we are derided let it be a derision of obeying Matthew
18:15-17. Lewi Pethrus suffered such derision cheerfully. The mystical body
of Christ would be cared for. Also, the heathen would soon say, "How they
love one another." The world believes when we are ONE. How marvelous it
would be to belong to a fellowship both in a local church as well as in a
city church, where all people and elders could feel safe when absent one
from another. They would know that no evil word would be spoken against them
behind their back, but only to their face in a scriptural manner.

            RULE:  When should you initiate this procedure? If you cannot
refrain from sharing a grievance behind the back of a brother, it is time
you went to him personally.

            NOTE:  When a congregation or home church has a problem with a
pastor, at least 2 or 3 from that group should go to the leader's head
pastor. If it is a morals charge that becomes proven, the person in the
place of James of Jerusalem or Timothy of Ephesus is to rebuke that elder
publicly, that others may be taught to fear (1 Timothy 5:17-25).

            (The gist of these notes comes from Sermon 49 of Wesley's
"Doctrinal Standards." This was intended for young preachers, especially
those who conducted the class meetings. No wonder the early Methodist
revival had such power! This is true Restoration preaching!)
James A. Watt – 9-49.

* *