Criticism

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 12:59:48 PDT 2007

*"TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt – Beth Chesed, **Tacoma***

*PO Box **25116 – Federal Way** **WA** **98093-2116***

*Web: www.2rbetter.org – Fax: 253.474.0189*

*Tel: 253.874.4265 – Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*June 18, 2007** *

* *

*"BEWARE OF CRITICIZING OTHERS"*

*(From "My Utmost for His Highest" – Oswald Chambers)*

* *

*"Judge not, that you be not judged" (Matthew 7:1)*

* *

Jesus' instructions with regard to judging others is very simply put; He
says, *"Don't."* *The average Christian is the most piercingly critical
individual known.* Criticism is one of the* *ordinary activities of people,
but in the spiritual realm, nothing is accomplished by it. The effect of
criticism is the dividing up of the strengths of the one being criticized.
The Holy Spirit is the only one in the proper position to criticize, and He
alone is able to show what is wrong without hurting and wounding. It is
impossible to enter into fellowship with God when you are in a critical
mood. Criticism serves to make you harsh, vindictive, and cruel, and leaves
you with the soothing and flattering idea that you are somehow superior to
others. Jesus says that as His disciple you should cultivate a temperament
that is never critical. This will not happen quickly but must be developed
over a span of time. You must constantly beware of anything that causes you
to think of yourself as a superior person.

* *

There is no escaping the penetrating search of my life by Jesus. If I see
the little speck in your eye, it means that I have a plank of timber in my
own (see 7:3-5). Every wrong thing that I see in you, God finds in me. Every
time I judge, I condemn myself (see Romans 2:17-24). Stop having a measuring
stick for other people. There is always at least one more fact, which we
know nothing about, in every person's situation. The first thing God does is
to give us a thorough spiritual cleaning. After that, there is no
possibility of pride remaining in us. I have never met a person I could
despair of, or lose all hope for, after discerning what lies in me apart
from the grace of God.

*NOTE:  *I haven't shared Oswald Chambers in quite a while. But yesterday
the above reading came as part of my daily devotions, and I couldn't get
away from it.

I don't mean it for you – I mean it for me. The Holy Spirit had me on His
hook, and He wasn't about to let me go.

I agree with OC completely for his June 17th reading. In 1953 Marie and I
after graduating from seminary, pastored the Kostner Avenue Baptist
Churchon the West side of
Chicago. The founder of this church was Lewis (Dad) Crittenden – a foremost
piano salesman in that city. Under his picture in the church was the line –
"Just a little word for Jesus."

I met him but briefly in hospital before he went home with the Lord, and
then as new pastor of his church, led in his funeral service. Because he had
been superintendent of the Pacific Garden Mission, it was obligatory that I
"Throw out the Lifeline" at that time. The church was bulging.

But one member reminded me that in all the years he had known Dad
Crittenden, he had never heard him say a critical word against any fellow
man or believer. "Dad" acknowledged that that was true. Then his friend
challenged him – "Dad – I'll bet you even have a good word for the devil!"

Well – that set him back for a few moments. But then he brightened and
replied, "Well – we COULD emulate his zeal!"

Oswald Chambers was like Dad Crittenden in this respect. He was NOT critical
of his fellow man. All his friends and acquaintances noted this.

There are others I have run across who also developed the habit of dropping
all criticism against fellow human beings.

I'm not thinking particularly of any of you as I write these words – I'm
thinking of myself and the way the Lord dealt with me on Saturday. By His
grace and help – I want to be more and more like Jesus in this respect. If
you wish to join me by renewing this pledge – let us believe together for
each other – that we all will be lifted by Him and our cooperation, into
this blessed area of Christian grace.

Your friend – Jim Watt

* *

* *